Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: The University of Tokyo
- Prospective and clinical validation of ALK immunohistochemistry: results from the phase I/II study of alectinib for ALK-positive lung cancer (AF-001JP study)K Takeuchi
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets Division of Pathology, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo
Ann Oncol 27:185-92. 2016..Although increasing data are supporting that ALK immunohistochemistry (IHC) is highly concordant with FISH, IHC screening needed to be clinically and prospectively validated...
- Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor with RANBP2 and ALK gene rearrangement: a report of two cases and literature reviewJian Li
Department of Pathology, the Second Shenzhen People s Hospital, Sungang West Road, Shenzhen 518035, China
Diagn Pathol 8:147. 2013..The relation between the clinicopathologic features and poor prognosis of IMT-RA is discussed...
- Deletion of the TNFAIP3/A20 gene detected by FICTION analysis in classical Hodgkin lymphomaJunko Nomoto
Hematology Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
BMC Cancer 12:457. 2012..However, the detection of this in primary Hodgkin lymphoma (HL) specimens is hampered by the scarcity of Hodgkin Reed-Sternberg (HR-S) cells even after enrichment by micro-dissection...
- RET, ROS1 and ALK fusions in lung cancerKengo Takeuchi
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Nat Med 18:378-81. 2012....
- Identification of a novel fusion, SQSTM1-ALK, in ALK-positive large B-cell lymphomaKengo Takeuchi
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets, Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research 3 8 31 Ariake, Koto, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Haematologica 96:464-7. 2011..SQSTM1-ALK may be a rare fusion, but our data provide novel biological insights and serve as a key for the accurate diagnosis of this rare lymphoma...
- Lymphomatoid gastropathy: a distinct clinicopathologic entity of self-limited pseudomalignant NK-cell proliferationKengo Takeuchi
The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Blood 116:5631-7. 2010..However, LyGa is recognized as a pseudomalignant process because of its clinical characteristics. The concept of LyGa should be well recognized...
- KIF5B-ALK, a novel fusion oncokinase identified by an immunohistochemistry-based diagnostic system for ALK-positive lung cancerKengo Takeuchi
The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 15:3143-9. 2009..The sensitivity of EML4-ALK detection by immunohistochemistry should be increased adequately...
- Pulmonary inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor expressing a novel fusion, PPFIBP1-ALK: reappraisal of anti-ALK immunohistochemistry as a tool for novel ALK fusion identificationKengo Takeuchi
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets, Division of Pathology, Thoracic Center, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 17:3341-8. 2011..By using sensitive immunohistochemistry, therefore, we reassessed "ALK-negative" IMT cases defined with conventional immunohistochemistry (approximately 50% of all examined cases)...
- Multiplex reverse transcription-PCR screening for EML4-ALK fusion transcriptsKengo Takeuchi
Division of Pathology, The Cancer Institute, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 14:6618-24. 2008..To allow sensitive detection of EML4-ALK fusion transcripts, we have now developed a multiplex reverse transcription-PCR (RT-PCR) system that captures all in-frame fusions between the two genes...
- EML4-ALK fusion is linked to histological characteristics in a subset of lung cancersKentaro Inamura
Department of Pathology, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research JFCR, Tokyo, Japan
J Thorac Oncol 3:13-7. 2008..Tumors featuring EML4-ALK fusion constitute one subtype of NSCLC that might be highly sensitive to ALK inhibitors. Herein, we present results of a first large scale study of EML4-ALK fusion in lung cancers...
- Prognostic value of high thymidine kinase activity in patients with previously untreated diffuse large B-cell lymphoma treated by rituximab, cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin, vincristine and prednisoloneKazuhito Suzuki
Department of Medical Hematology Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Leuk Lymphoma 54:2412-7. 2013..In conclusion, high TK activity was a strong predictor for short OS and poor response among patients with previously untreated DLBCL treated with R-CHOP...
- Activation status of receptor tyrosine kinase downstream pathways in primary lung adenocarcinoma with reference of KRAS and EGFR mutationsMiyako Hiramatsu
Division of Pathology, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research JFCR, 3 8 31 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Lung Cancer 70:94-102. 2010..The signal proteins were differently related to mutation status from cultured cells...
- Increased incidence of interstitial pneumonia by CHOP combined with rituximabDaisuke Ennishi
Department of Oncology and Hematology, Cancer Institute Hospital, 3 10 6 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Int J Hematol 87:393-7. 2008..jirovecii and fungal infection. The need for prophylactic antifungals and ST during R-CHOP should be evaluated by randomized controlled trials...
- KLC1-ALK: a novel fusion in lung cancer identified using a formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue onlyYuki Togashi
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 7:e31323. 2012..This finding will broaden the potential value of archival FFPE tissues and provide further biological and clinical insights into ALK-positive lung cancer...
- Prognostic value of C-reactive protein, lactase dehydrogenase and anemia in recurrent or refractory aggressive lymphomaKazuhito Suzuki
Department of Medical Hematology Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, 3 8 31 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo 1358550, Japan
Jpn J Clin Oncol 43:37-44. 2013..Prognostic predictors for newly diagnosed malignant lymphoma are well known. However, they have not been compared for patients with recurrent or refractory malignant lymphoma...
- EML4-ALK lung cancers are characterized by rare other mutations, a TTF-1 cell lineage, an acinar histology, and young onsetKentaro Inamura
Division of Pathology, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Koto ku, Tokyo, Japan
Mod Pathol 22:508-15. 2009....
- Non-gastric advanced mucosa-associated lymphoid tissue (MALT) lymphoma has worse prognosis than gastric MALT lymphoma even when treated with rituximab-containing chemotherapyKyoko Ueda
Department of Hematology Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Leuk Lymphoma 54:1928-33. 2013..82%, p = 0.043). Patients with localized disease had significantly better 3-year PFS than those with advanced disease (94% vs. 73%, p = 0.026). Upon multivariate analysis, non-gastric lymphoma retained prognostic significance for PFS...
- Identification of CD20 C-terminal deletion mutations associated with loss of CD20 expression in non-Hodgkin's lymphomaYasuhito Terui
Departments of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Division of Clinical Chemotherapy, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 15:2523-30. 2009..With increasing use, resistance to rituximab is a continuing concern, but CD20 mutation as a cause of resistance has not previously been reported...
- Allelotypes of lung adenocarcinomas featuring ALK fusion demonstrate fewer onco- and suppressor gene changesHironori Ninomiya
Division of Pathology, The Cancer Institute, Ariake 3 8 31, Koutou ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
BMC Cancer 13:8. 2013..EML4-ALK fusion confers a characteristic histology and is detected more frequently in never or light smokers and younger patients...
- Infusion Rate Escalation Study of Rituximab in Patients with CD20+ B-Cell Lymphomas: A Single Institution Analysis in JapanMasahiro Yokoyama
Department of Hematology, Cancer Institute Hospital, 3 8 31 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
ISRN Oncol 2013:863909. 2013..We recommend rapid administration of rituximab for practice setting in patients with CD20+NHL being treated with rituximab or rituximab-containing chemotherapy. (Clinical trial no. JFCR2009-1027)...
- Frequent BCOR aberrations in extranodal NK/T-Cell lymphoma, nasal typeAkito Dobashi
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Koto, Tokyo
Genes Chromosomes Cancer 55:460-71. 2016..Given the high frequency and pattern of aberration, BCOR is likely to play an important role in ENKTL pathogenesis as a tumor suppressor gene. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc. ..
- Identification of anaplastic lymphoma kinase fusions in renal cancer: large-scale immunohistochemical screening by the intercalated antibody-enhanced polymer methodEmiko Sugawara
Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer 118:4427-36. 2012..In this context, ALK inhibitor therapy would constitute a therapeutic advance, as has previously been demonstrated with lung cancer, inflammatory myofibroblastic tumors, and anaplastic large cell lymphomas...
- An imaging-based rapid evaluation method for complement-dependent cytotoxicity discriminated clinical response to rituximab-containing chemotherapyYuji Mishima
Olympus Bio Imaging Laboratory, Clinical Chemotherapy, Cancer Institute of the Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 15:3624-32. 2009....
- Phase II/III study of R-CHOP-21 versus R-CHOP-14 for untreated indolent B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma: JCOG 0203 trialTakashi Watanabe
Hematology and Stem Cell Transplantation Division, National Cancer Center Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
J Clin Oncol 29:3990-8. 2011..To improve progression-free survival (PFS) in patients treated with R-CHOP as the primary end point, we conducted a phase III study...
- P-glycoprotein Mediates Ceritinib Resistance in Anaplastic Lymphoma Kinase-rearranged Non-small Cell Lung CancerRyohei Katayama
Cancer Chemotherapy Center, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
EBioMedicine 3:54-66. 2016..Our study suggests that alectinib, PF-06463922, or P-gp inhibitor with ceritinib could overcome the ceritinib or crizotinib resistance mediated by P-gp overexpression. ..
- Central nervous system event in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in the rituximab eraNaoto Tomita
Bay area Lymphoma Information Network, Tokyo, Japan
Cancer Sci 103:245-51. 2012..The efficacy and manner of CNS prophylaxis in patients for each involvement site should be evaluated further...
- Cancer of unknown primary site: a review of 28 cases and the efficacy of cisplatin/docetaxel therapy at a single institute in JapanHisakazu Nishimori
Division of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Koto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Acta Med Okayama 64:285-91. 2010..In conclusion, CDDP/TXT chemotherapy is effective with tolerable toxicity in patients with CUP. Japanese patients with CUP might be chemosensitive and may survive longer...
- Imaging Characteristics in ALK Fusion-Positive Lung Adenocarcinomas by Using HRCTTakeo Nakada
Department of Thoracic Surgical Oncology, Thoracic Center, The Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 21:102-8. 2015..We aimed to identify high-resolution computed tomography (HRCT) features useful to distinguish the anaplastic lymphoma kinase gene (ALK) fusion-positive and negative lung adenocarcinomas...
- Implications for differential diagnosis of lung cancer-associated lymphadenopathy in lymphoepithelioid cell lymphoma (Lennert's lymphoma) arising simultaneously with lung cancer: a case reportRira Hoshi
Department of Cytology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Acta Cytol 54:197-201. 2010..We describe details from fine needle aspiration cytology (FNAC) of LCL in a patient simultaneously suffering from lung cancer, in whom extensive lymph node metastasis was suspected clinically...
- A rational diagnostic algorithm for the identification of ALK rearrangement in lung cancer: a comprehensive study of surgically treated Japanese patientsKazuya Takamochi
Department of General Thoracic Surgery, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
PLoS ONE 8:e69794. 2013..EML4-ALK fusion gene is found in only a small subset (2-6%) of non-small cell lung cancer. There is an urgent need to establish a rational diagnostic algorithm to identify this rare but important fusion in lung cancer...
- R-CHOP with dose-attenuated radiation therapy could induce good prognosis in gastric diffuse large B cell lymphomaYuko Mishima
Division of Hematology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, 3 8 31 Ariake, Koto ku, Tokyo, 135 8550, Japan
Exp Hematol Oncol 1:30. 2012..abstract:..
- Absence of tumor-specific over-expression of Polo-like kinase 1 (Plk1) in major non-Hodgkin lymphoma and relatively low expression of Plk1 in nasal NK/T cell lymphomaHidenori Imai
Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Hematology, Juntendo University School of Medicine, Tokyo, Japan
Int J Hematol 89:673-8. 2009..The 4-year overall survival rates by Kaplan-Meier analysis for Plk1-negative and positive patients were 80 and 38%, respectively (p = 0.02)...
- Monitoring serum hepatitis C virus (HCV) RNA in patients with HCV-infected CD20-positive B-cell lymphoma undergoing rituximab combination chemotherapyDaisuke Ennishi
Department of Medical Oncology and Hematology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Tokyo, Japan
Am J Hematol 83:59-62. 2008..Further studies will be necessary to investigate more fully the relationship between changes in HCV viral load and liver function during chemotherapy for HCV-infected patients...
- Sorafenib treatment for patients with RET fusion-positive non-small cell lung cancerAtsushi Horiike
Department of Thoracic Medical Oncology, Cancer Institute Hospital, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, 3 8 31 Ariake, Koto ward, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Lung Cancer 93:43-6. 2016..Sorafenib, a multi-kinase inhibitor, has potent anti-RET activity. We conducted a study to evaluate the efficacy of sorafenib in a small number of patients with RET fusion-positive NSCLC...
- Pathology of indolent B-cell neoplasms other than follicular lymphomaSeiji Sakata
Pathology Project for Molecular Targets, The Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research
J Clin Exp Hematop 54:11-22. 2014..In addition, a provisional subtype of low-grade B-cell lymphoma, "prolymphocytic/paraimmunoblastic lymphoma", is described...
- Clinicopathological features of 171 cases of primary thyroid lymphoma: a long-term study involving 24553 patients with Hashimoto's diseaseNatsuko Watanabe
Ito Hospital, 4 3 6 Jingumae, Shibuya ku, Tokyo, Japan
Br J Haematol 153:236-43. 2011..The 5-year overall survival rate was 85% (95% confidence interval, 79-91%). This study demonstrated that PTL showed good response to radiotherapy and chemotherapy and had a favourable prognosis...
- Carcinosarcomatous malignancy, osteosarcoma and squamous cell carcinoma, in giant cell tumor of the right distal femurRikuo Machinami
Department of Pathology, Cancer Institute, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Ariake 3 10 6, Kouto ku, Tokyo 135 8550, Japan
Pathol Res Pract 204:583-8. 2008..Although secondary malignant giant cell tumor is known as a sarcoma arising at the site of a previously diagnosed giant cell tumor, this case should be regarded as a new type of secondary malignant giant cell tumor of bone...
- Two novel ALK mutations mediate acquired resistance to the next-generation ALK inhibitor alectinibRyohei Katayama
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, Charlestown, Massachusetts Department of Medicine, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts Cancer Chemotherapy Center, Japanese Foundation for Cancer Research, Tokyo, Japan
Clin Cancer Res 20:5686-96. 2014..As patients still relapse even on these next-generation ALK-TKIs, we examined mechanisms of resistance to the next-generation ALK-TKI alectinib and potential strategies to overcome this resistance...
- Activity of EGFR-tyrosine kinase and ALK inhibitors for EML4-ALK-rearranged non-small-cell lung cancer harbored coexisting EGFR mutationAkihiko Miyanaga
Department of Pulmonary Medicine and Oncology, Nippon Medical School, Tokyo, Japan
BMC Cancer 13:262. 2013..The EML4-ALK fusion gene occurs generally in NSCLC without mutations in epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and KRAS...
- Small non-mucinous bronchioloalveolar carcinoma with anaplastic lymphoma kinase immunoreactivity: a novel ALK fusion gene?Morio Yamamoto
Department of Thoracic Surgery, Shizuoka Cancer Center, Nagaizumi, Shizuoka, Japan
Cancer Sci 103:390-2. 2012..However, FISH studies failed to reveal EML4-ALK and KIF5B-ALK fusion genes in this BAC. These findings suggest the possibility that a novel or unknown ALK fusion gene plays a crucial role in BAC development...
- ERas is expressed in primate embryonic stem cells but not related to tumorigenesisYujiro Tanaka
Division of Regenerative Medicine, Center for Molecular Medicine, Jichi Medical University, Tochigi, Japan Department of Pediatric Surgery, Graduate School of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
Cell Transplant 18:381-9. 2009..Therefore, cynomolgus ES cells are more similar to human than mouse ES cells despite that ERas is expressed in cynomolgus and mouse ES cells but not in human ES cells...
- Secretion of interleukin-6 and vascular endothelial growth factor by spindle cell sarcoma complicating Castleman's disease (so-called 'vascular neoplasia')Chihiro Kakiuchi
Department of Pathology, Faculty of Medicine, University of Tokyo, Tokyo, Japan
J Pathol 197:264-71. 2002..High levels of IL-6 and/or VEGF have been reported to play a role in CD. This is the first case report that clarifies the site of such cytokine production, showing the possibility of CD as a paraneoplastic phenomenon...
- Comparison of peripheral T-cell lymphomas and diffuse large B-cell lymphomaNaoto Tomita
Department of Hematology, Yokohama City University Medical Center, Japan, Yokohama, Japan
Cancer 109:1146-51. 2007..Peripheral T-cell lymphomas (PTCLs) are a biologically heterogeneous subgroup of lymphomas with poor prognosis. In this study, the authors analyzed the clinical behaviors of PTCLs and diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL)...