Affiliation: University of Padova
- Clinical relevance of small-bowel findings detected by wireless capsule endoscopyGiacomo C Sturniolo
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, Gastroenterology Section, universityof Padua, Italy
Scand J Gastroenterol 40:725-33. 2005..Capsule endoscopy is becoming known as a valid tool for identifying sources of obscure gastrointestinal (GI) bleeding. Fewer data are available about its clinical value for other indications...
- Effects of iron manipulation on trace elements level in a model of colitis in ratsM Barollo
Divisione di Gastroenterologia, Via Giustiniani 2, Padova 35128, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:4396-9. 2005..TE (zinc and copper) are constituents of antioxidant enzymes. Iron is involved in the pathogenesis of chronic inflammation. The aim was to evaluate zinc and copper status and the effects of iron manipulation in experimental colitis...
- Lactobacillus crispatus M247-derived H2O2 acts as a signal transducing molecule activating peroxisome proliferator activated receptor-gamma in the intestinal mucosaSandra Voltan
Department of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnologies, University of Padua, Italy
Gastroenterology 135:1216-27. 2008....
- Aggregating phenotype in Lactobacillus crispatus determines intestinal colonization and TLR2 and TLR4 modulation in murine colonic mucosaSandra Voltan
University of Padua, Department of Histology, Microbiology, and Medical Biotechnologies, Via A Gabelli 63, Padua 35121, Italy
Clin Vaccine Immunol 14:1138-48. 2007..We speculate that the aggregation phenotype in L. crispatus M247 is required to temper epithelial cell responsiveness to bacterial endotoxins, which thus affects the evolution of intestinal inflammatory processes...
- Fecal lactoferrin and calprotectin after ileocolonic resection for Crohn's diseaseMarco Scarpa
Clinica Chirurgica I, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche e Gastroenterologiche, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Dis Colon Rectum 50:861-9. 2007..This study was designed to assess the role of fecal lactoferrin and calprotectin as markers of intestinal inflammation in patients with Crohn's disease who have undergone ileocolonic resection...
- Enzymes in feces: useful markers of chronic inflammatory bowel diseaseImerio Angriman
Clinica Chirurgica I, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche e Gastroenterologiche, University of Padova, Italy
Clin Chim Acta 381:63-8. 2007..Ulcerative colitis and Crohn's disease are characterized by a chronic intestinal inflammation. Since the precise etiology is still unknown, current therapies are aimed at reducing or eliminating inflammation...
- Quality of life after restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis: different questionnaires lead to different interpretationsMarco Scarpa
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Science, Clinica Chirurgica I, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Arch Surg 142:158-65. 2007..Other studies show evidence that patients who undergo RPC experience a health-related quality of life similar to patients with mild UC or UC in remission...
- Small bowel exploration by wireless capsule endoscopy: results from 314 proceduresGiacomo C Sturniolo
Gastroenterology Section, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Med 119:341-7. 2006....
- Contribution of IBD5 locus to clinical features of IBD patientsAnna Latiano
Divisione di Gastroenterologia, Ospedale CSS IRCCS, San Giovanni Rotondo, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 101:318-25. 2006..The aim of this study was to investigate the influence of the IBD5 locus on clinical features of inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) patients, and its possible interaction with the CARD15 gene...
- Neuropeptide neurotensin stimulates intestinal wound healing following chronic intestinal inflammationPaola Brun
Dept of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnologies, Univ of Padua, School of Pharmacy, Via A Gabelli 63, Padua, 35121 Italy
Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol 288:G621-9. 2005..These findings suggest that NT and NTR1 are part of the network activated after mucosal injuries and that NT stimulates epithelial restitution at least, in part, through a COX-2 dependent pathway...
- Beneficial effect of auto-aggregating Lactobacillus crispatus on experimentally induced colitis in miceIgnazio Castagliuolo
School of Pharmacy, Department of Histology, University of Padua, Via A Gabelli 63, Padua 35121 Padua, Italy
FEMS Immunol Med Microbiol 43:197-204. 2005..crispatus M247. These results indicate that a surface-mediated property such as aggregation may play a pivotal role in the protective effects obtained by dietary supplementation with L. crispatus M247 during colitis...
- Lactulose/mannitol test has high efficacy for excluding organic causes of chronic diarrheaVincenza Di Leo
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 98:2245-52. 2003..Intestinal permeability to sugars is an accurate test for detecting intestinal damage. The aim of this study was to evaluate the diagnostic value of the lactulose/mannitol (L/M) test in patients with chronic diarrhea...
- Effect of penicillamine and zinc on iron metabolism in Wilson's diseaseValentina Medici
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, Section of Gastroenterology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Scand J Gastroenterol 42:1495-500. 2007..The purpose of this study was to assess the iron metabolism parameters, including hepatic iron concentration, in follow-up liver biopsies and serum, and urinary pro-hepcidin...
- Restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis: impact on lipid metabolism and adipose tissue and serum fatty acidsMarco Scarpa
Clinica Chirurgica I, Dipartimento di Scienze Chirurgiche e Gastroenterologiche, Policlinico Universitario, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Gastrointest Surg 12:279-87. 2008..The reduction of LDL cholesterol is an index of malabsorption probably due to the accelerated transit and to the exclusion of the terminal ileum caused by the covering ileostomy...
- Health-related quality of life after restorative proctocolectomy for ulcerative colitis: long-term resultsMarco Scarpa
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Science, Azienda Ospedaliera di Padova, Sezione di Clinica Chirurgica I, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
World J Surg 28:124-9. 2004..HRQL is influenced by drugs, stool frequency, pouchitis, postoperative pelvic complications, and age at diagnosis...
- B1a lymphocytes in ulcerative colitisLino Polese
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, Surgical Unit, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Int J Colorectal Dis 22:1005-11. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the expression of these cells in the peripheral blood of ulcerative colitis (UC) patients who underwent restorative proctocolectomy (RPC) and others who were not operated on...
- A protective effect of the synthetic coumarine derivative Cloricromene against DNB-colitis in the ratWalter Fries
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Terapia Medica, Universita di Messina, Italy
Life Sci 74:2749-56. 2004..Blood coagulation parameters remained unchanged indicating safety of treatment. Since biological therapies frequently fail to improve disease course of IBD, other therapies with similar targets should be further investigated...
- Neuroendocrine tumor of small bowelChiara Martini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 60:431. 2004
- Health-related quality of life after ileocolonic resection for Crohn's disease: long-term resultsMarco Scarpa
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Science, Sezione di Clinica Chirurgica I, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Inflamm Bowel Dis 13:462-9. 2007..The aim of the present study was to evaluate long-term health-related quality of life (HRQL) outcome and its clinical predictors in CD patients who have had ileocolonic resection...
- Budesonide foam vs. hydrocortisone acetate foam in the treatment of active ulcerative proctosigmoiditisSimon Bar-Meir
Department of Gastroenterology, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Sackler School of Medicine, Tel Aviv University, Tel Hashomer, Israel
Dis Colon Rectum 46:929-36. 2003..Foam offers patients better tolerability than an enema. In this study the efficacy and adverse effects of a new budesonide foam are compared with the presently available hydrocortisone foam...