Affiliation: University of Palermo
- Prevention of venous thromboembolism in patients with cancer: guidelines of the Italian Society for Haemostasis and Thrombosis (SISET)(1)Sergio Siragusa
Cattedra ed UO di Ematologia con Trapianto, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico di Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Thromb Res 129:e171-6. 2012..Prevention of venous thromboembolism (VTE) in cancer patients remains controversial in most clinical settings...
- How should we determine length of anticoagulation after proximal deep vein thrombosis of the lower limbs?Sergio Siragusa
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto, Policlinico Universitario di Palermo P Giaccone, Palermo, Italy
Br J Haematol 144:832-7. 2009..This annotation discusses current practice and upcoming approaches regarding the length of VKA treatment after a first episode of DVT...
- Low molecular weight heparins as antineoplastic agentsSergio Siragusa
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico P Giaccone, Via del Vespro 127, I 90127, Palermo, Italy
Recent Pat Anticancer Drug Discov 3:159-61. 2008..Recent reports are, at the same time, highlighting a potential role of LMWHs on patient survival due to their presumed antineoplastic action. This review will discuss the most recent reports and patents on these topics...
- Home therapy for deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism in cancer patientsS Siragusa
U O di Ematologia con trapianto, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria P Giaccone, Palermo, Italy
Ann Oncol 16:iv136-139. 2005..These results indicate that, regarding cancer patients with acute DVT and/or PE, there is no difference between hospitalised and home-treated patients in terms of major outcomes...
- Residual vein thrombosis for assessing duration of anticoagulation after unprovoked deep vein thrombosis of the lower limbs: the extended DACUS studySergio Siragusa
Cattedra ed Unità di Ematologia con trapianto, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Italy
Am J Hematol 86:914-7. 2011....
- D-dimer testing: advantages and limitations in emergency medicine for managing acute venous thromboembolismSergio Siragusa
Thrombosis and Haemostasis Unit, Department of Oncology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 1:59-66. 2006..However, because of its heterogeneity related to the method used and setting implemented, it is preferable to assess D-dimer accuracy before its implementation in management strategies for VTE...
- Asymptomatic immunoglobulin light chain amyloidosis (AL) at the time of diagnostic bone marrow biopsy in newly diagnosed patients with multiple myeloma and smoldering myeloma. A series of 144 cases and a review of the literatureSergio Siragusa
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia conTrapianto, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico di Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, 90127, Palermo, Italy
Ann Hematol 90:101-6. 2011..Among the 142 other patients without amyloid deposition in their index bone marrow, one (0.7%, 95% CI -0.6 to 2.0) developed symptomatic AL after 119 months...
- The risk of recurrent cardiovascular events in patients with increased plasma homocysteine levels is reduced by short but not long-term therapy with folate and B vitaminsSergio Siragusa
Thrombosis Haemostasis and Haematology Unit, University Hospital of Palermo, Italy
Thromb Res 121:51-3. 2007
- Residual vein thrombosis to establish duration of anticoagulation after a first episode of deep vein thrombosis: the Duration of Anticoagulation based on Compression UltraSonography (DACUS) studySergio Siragusa
Cattedra ed Unità di Ematologia con trapianto, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Malattie Cardiovascolari e Nefrourologiche, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Italy
Blood 112:511-5. 2008..1% person-years) in those who continued OAT. Absence of RVT identifies a group of patients at very low risk for recurrent thrombosis who can safely stop OAT. This trial was registered at http://www.ClinicalTrials.gov as no. NCT00438230...
- Cancer patients requiring interruption of long-term warfarin because of surgery or chemotherapy induced thrombocytopenia: the use of fixed sub-therapeutic doses of low-molecular weight heparinGiorgia Saccullo
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica DIMIS, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico P Giaccone, Universita di Palermo, Italy
Am J Hematol 87:388-91. 2012..In conclusion, LMWH given at fixed subtherapeutic is a feasible and relatively safe approach for bridging therapy in cancer patients on long-term VKA...
- Managing cancer patients with acute venous thromboembolism: exploring safe alternatives to hospitalisationSergio Siragusa
Chair of Hematology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Exp Oncol 26:192-5. 2004....
- Deferral of assessment of pulmonary embolismSergio Siragusa
U O di Ematologia con trapianto, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico Paolo Giaccone, Universita di Palermo, Palermo, Italy sergio siragusa unipa it
Haematologica 92:410-3. 2007..upper 95% CI 0.9%]); only one event occurred in those at high-risk (1/125, 0.8% [upper 95% CI, 1.2]). Our study demonstrates that diagnostic imaging for PE can be safely deferred for up to 3 days...
- Residual vein thrombosis and D-dimer for optimizing duration of anticoagulation in idiopathic deep vein thrombosisAlessandra Malato
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto Policlinico Universitario di Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, Palermo, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 16:3483-6. 2010..In the present review we will discuss advantages and potential limits of using these individual markers for the management of patients with a first episode of DVT of the lower limbs...
- Safety of plasma-derived protein C for treating disseminated intravascular coagulation in adult patients with active cancerAlessandra Malato
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica DIMIS, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Italy
Am J Hematol 87:230-2. 2012..At 28-days follow-up, no bleeding or thrombosis was observed. This is the first study to investigate the use of pd- PC for treatment of cancer-related overt DIC...
- Deferment of objective assessment of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism without increased risk of thrombosis: a practical approach based on the pretest clinical model, D-dimer testing, and the use of low-molecular-weight heparinsSergio Siragusa
Thrombosis and Hemostasis Unit, Division of Haematology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Arch Intern Med 164:2477-82. 2004....
- Relapsing or refractory idiopathic thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: the role of rituximabDomenica Caramazza
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto, U O di Immunoematologia e Servizio Trasfusionale, and U O di Neurologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico Paolo Giaccone di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Transfusion 50:2753-60. 2010..In conclusion, rituximab provides an effective, well-tolerated, and safe treatment option for patients with idiopathic TTP-HUS, thus giving an alternative approach to the current treatment based on PE...
- Drug-related cardiotoxicity for the treatment of haematological malignancies in elderlyAlessandra Malato
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia con trapianto Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico di Palermo Via del Vespro 129, 90127 Palermo, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 16:2872-9. 2010....
- EGFR genomic alterations in cancer: prognostic and predictive valuesGiuseppe Bronte
Department of Surgical and Oncological Sciences, Section of Medical Oncology, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 3:879-87. 2011..This review summarizes both preclinical and clinical available data regarding EGFR genomic alterations as prognostic and predictive factors...
- Management of venous thromboembolism in patients with acute leukemia at high bleeding risk: a multi-center studyMariasanta Napolitano
a Hematoloy Unit and Thrombosis and Hemostasis Reference Regional Center, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 57:116-9. 2016..2%) cases, mainly (14/17, 82.3%) during the induction phase. Treatment of acute VTE was based on Low Molecular Weight Heparin (LMWH) at full dosage for the first month from diagnosis and reduced dosage (75%) for the following months. ..
- Correlation between leukocytosis and thrombosis in Philadelphia-negative chronic myeloproliferative neoplasmsDomenica Caramazza
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico di Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, I 90127, Palermo, Italy
Ann Hematol 88:967-71. 2009..1, 95% CI 0.2 to 2.7). Finally, we could not identify the presence of JAK2 (V617F) as a risk factor for thrombosis. Properly designed prospective studies should corroborate such results...
- Ultrasonography-guided central venous catheterisation in haematological patients with severe thrombocytopeniaMariasanta Napolitano
Haematology and Transplant Unit, Department of Internal and Specialist Medicine, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Blood Transfus 11:506-9. 2013..In such patients, ultrasonography (US)-guided CVC may be a valid approach. There is a lack of published data on the efficacy and safety of urgent US-guided CVC performed in haematological patients with severe thrombocytopenia...
- Driver mutations and differential sensitivity to targeted therapies: a new approach to the treatment of lung adenocarcinomaGiuseppe Bronte
Department of Surgical and Oncological Sciences, Section of Medical Oncology, University of Palermo, Via del Vespro 127, Palermo, Italy
Cancer Treat Rev 36:S21-9. 2010..We also provide a potential algorithm as a guide in the choice of the best treatment for patients with adenocarcinoma...
- The impact of deep vein thrombosis in critically ill patients: a meta-analysis of major clinical outcomesAlessandra Malato
Chair and Unit of Haematology and Transplantation, University Hospital of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Blood Transfus 13:559-68. 2015..We also tried to determine whether currently adopted prophylactic measures need to be revised and improved in the ICU setting...
- Iron-dependent erythropoiesis in women with excessive menstrual blood losses and women with normal mensesMariasanta Napolitano
Hematology Unit, Thrombosis and Hemostasis Reference Regional Center, University of Palermo, Policlinico P Giaccone, Via del Vespro 129, 1 90100, Palermo, Italy
Ann Hematol 93:557-63. 2014..Most women with menorrhagia had totally depleted iron stores. Indirect, quantitative evaluation of iron lost with menses may be useful to assess the risk of developing iron-deficient anemia in individual patients...
- Chromosome 1 abnormalities in myeloid malignancies: a literature survey and karyotype-phenotype associationsDomenica Caramazza
Cattedra ed U O di Ematologia, Policlinico Universitario di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Eur J Haematol 84:191-200. 2010..These observations suggest that certain chromosome 1 regions, especially 1q21-1q32 and 1p11-13, might harbor oncogenes or tumor suppressor genes that are pathogenetically relevant to both chronic and advanced phases of MPN...
- Serial 2-point ultrasonography plus D-dimer vs whole-leg color-coded Doppler ultrasonography for diagnosing suspected symptomatic deep vein thrombosis: a randomized controlled trialEnrico Bernardi
Department of Emergency and Accident Medicine, Civic Hospital, Conegliano, Italy
JAMA 300:1653-9. 2008..No randomized comparisons are yet available evaluating the relative values of these 2 strategies...
- Incidence of venous thromboembolism in patients undergoing thoracotomy for lung cancerFrancesco Dentali
Department of Clinical Medicine, Insubria University, Varese, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 135:705-6. 2008
- The incidence of heparin-induced thrombocytopenia in medical patients treated with low-molecular-weight heparin: a prospective cohort studyPaolo Prandoni
Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Clinica Medica II, Universita di Padova, Italy
Blood 106:3049-54. 2005..The previous administration of heparin increases the rate of HIT...
- Plasma D-dimer test accuracy can be affected by heparin administrationSergio Siragusa
Arch Intern Med 163:246; author reply 247. 2003