Affiliation: University of Pavia
- Neurophysiological tests and neuroimaging procedures in non-acute headache: guidelines and recommendationsG Sandrini
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Eur J Neurol 11:217-24. 2004..Although many of the examinations described are of little or no value in the clinical setting, most of the tools have a vast potential for further exploring the pathophysiology of headaches and the effects of pharmacological treatment...
- Eletriptan vs sumatriptan: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, multiple migraine attack studyG Sandrini
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCSC Mondino Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Neurology 59:1210-7. 2002..To compare the efficacy of oral eletriptan, 40 mg and 80 mg, and oral sumatriptan, 50 mg and 100 mg, in the acute treatment of migraine...
- Sensitisation of spinal cord pain processing in medication overuse headache involves supraspinal pain controlA Perrotta
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 30:272-84. 2010..These abnormalities could, in part, be related to the medication overuse, given that the withdrawal treatment was related to an improvement in the neurophysiological findings...
- Neurophysiological tests and neuroimaging procedures in non-acute headache (2nd edition)G Sandrini
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache UCADH, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Eur J Neurol 18:373-81. 2011..Although the literature has shown that most of these tools contributed greatly to increasing understanding of the pathogenesis of primary headache, they are of little or no value in the clinical setting...
- Alterations of the endocannabinoid system in an animal model of migraine: evaluation in cerebral areas of ratR Greco
IRCCS Neurological Institute C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 30:296-302. 2010..These data strongly support the involvement of the endocannabinoid system in the modulation of nitroglycerin-induced hyperalgesia, and, possibly, in the pathophysiological mechanisms of migraine...
- Cost of Chronic and Episodic Migraine. A pilot study from a tertiary headache centre in northern ItalyE Berra
Headache Science Centre, C Mondino National Neurological Institute, Pavia, Italy
J Headache Pain 16:532. 2015..Furthermore, we comparatively evaluated the impact of CM and EM on functional capability and on QoL of sufferers...
- Effects of hypnosis on diffuse noxious inhibitory controlsG Sandrini
Department of Neurological Sciences, University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS, C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Via Palestro 3, 27100, Pavia, Italy
Physiol Behav 69:295-300. 2000..It seems likely that DNICs and hypnosis use the same descending inhibitory pathways for the control of pain. The susceptibility of the subject is a critical factor in hypnotically induced analgesia...
- Psychiatric comorbidity in chronic daily headacheA P Verri
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, Section of Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 18:45-9. 1998..The most frequent diagnosis was a comorbidity of anxiety and mood disorders. The comorbidity of psychiatric disorders and headache has important implications as far as treatment is concerned...
- A narrative review on the management of medication overuse headache: the steep road from experience to evidencePaolo Rossi
IRCCS Neurological Institute C Mondino Foundation, University Centre for Headache and Adaptive Disorders UCADH, Pavia Section, Pavia, Italy
J Headache Pain 10:407-17. 2009....
- Medication overuse headache and applicability of the ICHD-II diagnostic criteria: 1-year follow-up study (CARE I protocol)N Ghiotto
Headache Unit and University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 29:233-43. 2009..In addition, the present findings point to the need for a more objective criterion to quantify headache frequency after drug withdrawal...
- Cervicogenic headache: evaluation of the original diagnostic criteriaF Antonaci
Headache Centre, University of Pavia, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 21:573-83. 2001....
- Diagnostic issues in chronic daily headacheG Sandrini
University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, C Mondino Foundation, Via Palestro, Pavia 3 27100, Italy
Curr Pain Headache Rep 5:551-6. 2001..Although some theoretic problems remain unresolved, it seems that the next revision of the IHS classification can no longer ignore the existence of CDH...
- Ocular motor myotonic phenomenon in myotonic dystrophyM Versino
Fondazione Istituto Neurologico C Mondino, IRCCS, Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche, Universita di Pavia, Via Palestro 3, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 72:236-40. 2002..To detect disconjugate ocular motor abnormalities and a possible extraocular muscle myotonic phenomenon in patients with myotonic dystrophy (MyD)...
- Eye movement abnormalities in myotonic dystrophyM Versino
Fondazione Istituto Neurologico C Mondino, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Electroencephalogr Clin Neurophysiol 109:184-90. 1998..Accordingly we classified the oculomotor abnormalities detected as neurogenic in 11 MD patients and as myogenic in another 10, but in some subjects belonging to the second group concomitant CNS impairment is not to be excluded...
- Effects of sleep on spinal nociceptive reflexes in humansG Sandrini
Department of Neurological Sciences, University of Pavia, Italy
Sleep 24:13-7. 2001..There was evidence of further latency prolongation during REM sleep. It was also during REM sleep that the maximum increase in the amplitude and duration of the reflex were recorded...
- Asymmetrical reduction of the nociceptive flexion reflex threshold in cluster headacheG Sandrini
Department of Neurological Sciences, University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS, C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 20:647-52. 2000..e. corneal reflex, pain pressure threshold). On the whole, these data tie in with the view of an impairment of the pain control system, which parallels the periodicity of the disorder in the episodic form...
- Botulinum toxin type A potentiates the effect of neuromotor rehabilitation of Pisa syndrome in Parkinson disease: a placebo controlled studyC Tassorelli
Neurological Rehabilitation Unit, IRCCS National Neurological Institute C Mondino, Pavia, Italy Department of Brain and Behavioral Sciences, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy Electronic address
Parkinsonism Relat Disord 20:1140-4. 2014..We evaluated whether the injection of incabotulinum toxin type A (iBTA) into the hyperactive trunk muscles might improve the effectiveness of rehabilitation in a group of PD patients with PS...
- Reduced habituation of trigeminal reflexes in patients with episodic cluster headache during cluster periodA Perrotta
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 28:950-9. 2008..The lack of habituation in CH, more pronounced than in migraine, points to abnormal processing of sensory stimuli at the trigeminal level that could be driven by hypothalamic dysfunction during the cluster period...
- Efficacy of dosing and re-dosing of two oral fixed combinations of indomethacin, prochlorperazine and caffeine compared with oral sumatriptan in the acute treatment of multiple migraine attacks: a double-blind, double-dummy, randomised, parallel group, muG Sandrini
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache UCADH, IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 61:1256-69. 2007..Additionally, in the group taking Indoprocaf, two different oral formulations were tested: effervescent tablets and encapsulated coated tablets...
- Different effect of high doses of naloxone on spinal reflexes in normal subjects and chronic paraplegic patientsG Sandrini
Department of Neurological Sciences, University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Italy
Neurosci Lett 261:5-8. 1999..Our data suggest that under normal conditions the opiatergic modulation of the nociceptive reflex is not functionally active whereas the tonic inhibitory modulation of the monosynaptic reflex is mediated by descending pathways...
- Chronic daily headache. How should it be included in the IHS classification?G Nappi
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, Unit of Pavia 1, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, Italy
Headache 39:197-203. 1999..Although some theoretical problems remain unresolved, it seems to us that the next revision of the IHS classification can no longer ignore the existence of chronic daily headache...
- Role of calcitonin gene-related peptide and substance P in different models of painR Greco
Laboratory of Pathophysiology of Integrative Autonomic Systems, University Centre for the Study of Adaptive Disorders and Headache UCADH, IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology Foundation, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 28:114-26. 2008....
- SUNCT syndrome with paroxysmal mydriasis: Clinical and pupillometric findingsF Antonaci
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, Italy
Cephalalgia 30:987-90. 2010....
- Abnormal modulatory influence of diffuse noxious inhibitory controls in migraine and chronic tension-type headache patientsG Sandrini
University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 26:782-9. 2006..Impairment of endogenous supraspinal pain modulation systems may contribute to the development and/or maintenance of central sensitization in primary headaches...
- [Headache as "sentinel" symptom in personnel involved in the preparation and administration of antineoplastic drugs]E Pucci
Centro Interuniversitario Cefalee e Disordini Adattativi, Universita degli Studi, Pavia, IRCCS C Mondino, Pavia, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 27:412-6. 2005..These findings suggest that headache is the onset symptom of the toxic effect of antiblastic chemiotherapics in the medical personnel involved in drug preparation and administration...
- Focus on trial endpoints of clinical relevance and the use of almotriptan for the acute treatment of migraineG Sandrini
Department of Neurological Rehabilitation, University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, Pavia, Italy
Int J Clin Pract 59:1356-65. 2005....
- A randomised, double-blind, dose-ranging study to evaluate efficacy and safety of three doses of botulinum toxin type A (Botox) for the treatment of spastic footF Mancini
Parkinson s Disease and Movement Disorders Center, IRCCS C Mondino Institute of Neurology, Via Mondino 2, I 27100, Pavia, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:26-31. 2005..In particular, the medium BTX dosages (320 UI spread over 2-5 muscles) were found to be both safe and effective in producing long-lasting improvement of spastic foot dysfunction...
- [Prevalence of primary headache related to work activity in a group of hospital workers undergoing periodic visits (D. Lgs. 626/94 s.s.m. ed i.)]E Pucci
Centro Interuniversitario Cefalee e Disordini Adattativi, Universita degli Studi di Pavia, IRCCS C Mondino, Pavia, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 25:448-52. 2003..The results obtained suggest that specific occupational conditions such as shift work and P.C. use may play an important role in headache development even in the presence of a wide number of professional risk factors...
- Reliability of the nitroglycerin provocative test in the diagnosis of neurovascular headachesG Sances
Headache Unit, University Centre for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation Institute of Neurology, Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 24:110-9. 2004..6%, specificity 100% and accuracy 92.9%. NPT is an easy, low-cost and reliable method for supporting the diagnosis of migraine without aura and cluster headache...
- Neurophysiological studies in chronic paroxysmal hemicrania and hemicrania continuaF Antonaci
Department of Neurology, Regionsykehuset i Trondheim, Trondheim University Hospital, Norway
Headache 34:479-83. 1994..The corneal reflex thresholds were found significantly reduced bilaterally in CPH, irrespective of whether the treatment was given or not...
- SUNCT syndrome successfully treated with topiramate: case reportsP Rossi
Cephalalgia 23:998-1000. 2003
- Evaluation and proposal for optimization of neurophysiological tests in migraine: part 2--neuroimaging and the nitroglycerin testD Magis
Headache Research Unit, Department of Neurology, University of Liege, Liege, Belgium
Cephalalgia 27:1339-59. 2007..For each of these methods, we summarize the results, analyse the methodological limitations and propose recommendations for improved methodology and standardization of research protocols...
- Trigeminofacial reflexes in primary headachesA Proietti Cecchini
University Center for Adaptive Disorders and Headache, IRCCS C Mondino Foundation, University of Pavia, Italy
Cephalalgia 23:33-41. 2003..e. dishabituation pattern and reduced pain threshold. We review the contribution of trigeminofacial reflex studies in the light of those recent data supporting the view of a dysfunctional sensory processing in primary headache...
- A new 5-HT2 antagonist (ritanserin) in the treatment of chronic headache with depression. A double-blind study vs amitriptylineG Nappi
Dept. of Neurology IRCCS C. Mondino, University of Pavia, Italy
Headache 30:439-44. 1990..Our data confirm the usefulness of these methods as markers of chronic headache with depression...
- Impaired circadian rhythmicity of nociceptive reflex threshold in cluster headacheG Nappi
Institute of Nervous and Mental Diseases, University La Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Headache 42:125-31. 2002..Alteration of circadian rhythmicity involving several endocrinologic and autonomic parameters has been observed in cluster headache...
- Hemicrania continua: a case responsive to piroxicam-beta-cyclodextrinM Trucco
Department of Neurology, Ospedali Riuniti di Pietra e Finale Ligure, Italy
Headache 32:39-40. 1992..The presence of mild gastric discomfort on continuous indomethacin administration made us transfer the patient to another NSAID (piroxicam-beta-cyclodextrin). With this drug, complete relief and good tolerability was obtained...