Affiliation: University of Milan
- Albumin treatment regimen for type 1 hepatorenal syndrome: a dose-response meta-analysisFrancesco Salerno
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, Via Morandi 30, 20097, Milano, Italy
BMC Gastroenterol 15:167. 2015..Recommended treatment for type 1 hepatorenal syndrome consists of albumin and vasoconstrictor. The optimal albumin dose remains poorly characterized. This meta-analysis aimed to determine the impact of albumin dose on treatment outcomes...
- Albumin infusion improves outcomes of patients with spontaneous bacterial peritonitis: a meta-analysis of randomized trialsFrancesco Salerno
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, Milano, Italy
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 11:123-30.e1. 2013..We performed a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) to quantify the effect of albumin infusion on renal impairment and mortality in patients with SBP...
- Diagnosis, treatment and survival of patients with hepatorenal syndrome: a survey on daily medical practiceFrancesco Salerno
Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, University of Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 55:1241-8. 2011..Aim of this prospective cohort study was to investigate the prevalence of HRS, diagnostic criteria, treatment and 3-month outcome in the daily-clinical-practice...
- Humoral and cardiac effects of TIPS in cirrhotic patients with different "effective" blood volumeFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Italy
Hepatology 38:1370-7. 2003..Furthermore, TIPS improves the diastolic cardiac function of cirrhotic patients with effective hypovolemia. This result is likely due to a TIPS-related improvement of the fullness of central blood volume...
- Diagnosis, prevention and treatment of hepatorenal syndrome in cirrhosisFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, University of Milan, Via Morandi, 30, 20097 San Donato MI, Italy
Gut 56:1310-8. 2007
- Transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt for refractory ascites: a meta-analysis of individual patient dataFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Gastroenterology 133:825-34. 2007..The aim of this study was to compare the effects of TIPS and large-volume paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites by means of meta-analysis of individual patient data from 4 randomized controlled trials...
- Refractory ascites: pathogenesis, definition and therapy of a severe complication in patients with cirrhosisFrancesco Salerno
Policlinco IRCCS San Donato and Dipartimento di Scienze Medico Chirurgiche, Universita di Milano, Milano, Italy
Liver Int 30:937-47. 2010..In these patients ascites may be treated with periodic paracentesis or with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shunt. However, only liver transplantation may improve the survival of such patients...
- MELD score is better than Child-Pugh score in predicting 3-month survival of patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 36:494-500. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare model of end-stage liver disease (MELD) and Child-Pugh scores as predictors of survival after TIPS...
- Therapeutic strategies and emergence of multiresistant bacterial strainsFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, Universita di Milano, Via Morandi, 30, 20097, San Donato Milanese, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 5:S45-51. 2010..This involves the necessity to use a different strategy of antibiotic prophylaxis as well as a more strict surveillance of patients at risk...
- Clinical practice guidelines for the management of cirrhotic patients with ascites. Committee on Ascites of the Italian Association for the Study of the LiverF Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, A Migliavacca Centre, IRCCS Policlinico, University of Milan, Italy
Ital J Gastroenterol Hepatol 31:626-34. 1999..The Committee holds that a periodic update will be necessary to conform to future scientific developments...
- Randomized controlled study of TIPS versus paracentesis plus albumin in cirrhosis with severe ascitesFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University and Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Instituto di Ricerca e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 40:629-35. 2004..In conclusion, compared to large-volume paracentesis plus albumin, TIPS improves survival without liver transplantation in patients with refractory or recidivant ascites...
- Prevalence of potentially inappropriate medications and risk of adverse clinical outcome in a cohort of hospitalized elderly patients: results from the REPOSI StudyL Pasina
IRCCS Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, Milano, Italy
J Clin Pharm Ther 39:511-5. 2014....
- Randomized comparative study of hemaccel vs. albumin infusion after total paracentesis in cirrhotic patients with refractory ascitesF Salerno
Istituto de Medicina Interna, University of Milan, Italy
Hepatology 13:707-13. 1991..These results indicate that hemaccel infusion may safely replace albumin infusion after total paracentesis for cirrhotic patients with refractory ascites...
- Inappropriate prescription of allopurinol and febuxostat and risk of adverse events in the elderly: results from the REPOSI registryL Pasina
Laboratory for Quality Assessment of Geriatric Therapies and Services, Drug Information Service for the Elderly, IRCCS Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri, via Giuseppe La Masa, 19, 20156, Milan, Italy
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 70:1495-503. 2014....
- The rational use of albumin in patients with cirrhosis and ascites. A Delphi study for the attainment of a consensus on prescribing standardsP Gentilini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Florence, Vale Morgagni 85, 50134 Florence, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 36:539-46. 2004..The treatment of this chronic disease usually requires the prolonged use of albumin, frequently continued even after patients' discharge from the hospital...
- Parallel reduction of plasma levels of high and low molecular weight kininogen in patients with cirrhosisM Cugno
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, University of Milan, Italy
Thromb Haemost 82:1428-32. 1999..The decrease of important regulatory proteins like kininogens may contribute to the imbalance in coagulation and fibrinolytic systems, which frequently occurs in cirrhotic patients...
- Bacterial infection in patients with advanced cirrhosis: a multicentre prospective studyM Borzio
Department of Medicine, Fatebenefratelli Hospital, Milan, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 33:41-8. 2001..To evaluate the prevalence, incidence and clinical relevance of bacterial infection in predominantly non-alcoholic cirrhotic patients hospitalised for decompensation...
- The systemic inflammatory response syndrome in cirrhotic patients: relationship with their in-hospital outcomeMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 51:475-82. 2009..We studied 141 cirrhotic patients consecutively admitted to a tertiary referral centre assessing prevalence of SIRS and its relationship with in-hospital outcome...
- Point-of-care coagulation monitors calibrated for the international normalized ratio for cirrhosis (INRliver) can help to implement the INRliver for the calculation of the MELD scoreArmando Tripodi
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties, University and IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Mangiagalli and Regina Elena Foundation, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 51:288-95. 2009..This study aimed to assess whether easy-to-run whole-blood coagulation monitors (widely used for patients on VKA) can be calibrated to measure efficiently the INR(liver) and minimize the interlaboratory variability...
- Prediction of asymptomatic cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis C patients: accuracy of artificial neural networks compared with logistic regression modelsMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:681-7. 2009..We compared ANNs with two logistic regression analysis-based models in predicting CHC histologically proven cirrhosis...
- Diastolic dysfunction is associated with poor survival in patients with cirrhosis with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Via Morandi 30, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Milano, Italy
Gut 56:869-75. 2007..Accurate prediction of the outcome of patients treated with TIPS is important, because some patients have very short survival. Diastolic dysfunction is frequently observed in patients with cirrhosis...
- Evidence of normal thrombin generation in cirrhosis despite abnormal conventional coagulation testsArmando Tripodi
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine and Dermatology, University and IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 41:553-8. 2005..For a clinical validation of these findings, a prospective clinical trial is warranted where the results of thrombin generation in the presence of thrombomodulin are related to the occurrence of bleeding...
- Thrombin generation in patients with cirrhosis: the role of plateletsArmando Tripodi
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties, Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, University and IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Milano, Italy
Hepatology 44:440-5. 2006..These findings might justify platelet transfusion in patients with low platelet counts when they bleed spontaneously or before undergoing surgery or liver biopsy. Controlled clinical trials supporting this indication are warranted...
- Prevalence and appropriateness of drug prescriptions for peptic ulcer and gastro-esophageal reflux disease in a cohort of hospitalized elderlyL Pasina
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Eur J Intern Med 22:205-10. 2011..Inappropriate prescription is of particular concern among elderly patients, who have often multiple comorbidities and need many drugs...
- Pattern of plasma cyclic nucleotides and related hormones in liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinomaF Bamonti-Catena
Istituto di Scienze Mediche, Universita degli Studi di Milano, Ospedale Maggiore IRCCS, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 36:709-14. 1998..In hepatocellular carcinoma, the underlying cirrhosis may account for most hormonal and metabolic changes although cyclic guanosine 3',5'-monophosphate increases could also be due to the neoplastic process per se...
- Bradykinin in the ascitic fluid of patients with liver cirrhosisM Cugno
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Maggiore Hospital IRCCS, Via Pace 15, 20122 Milan, Italy
Clin Sci (Lond) 101:651-7. 2001..Activation of the kinin system may therefore be involved in decompensating cirrhosis, but a cause-effect relationship remains to be established...
- Pathogenesis of ascites and predictors of resistance to therapyRoberto de Franchis
Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Service, IRCCS Ospedale Policlinico, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:S242-7. 2002..However, as the mechanisms of refractoriness are associated with advanced disease and short survival, the models developed for predicting survival should be employed also to verify if they can exert such additional prediction...
- Novel POMGNT1 point mutations and intragenic rearrangements associated with muscle-eye-brain diseaseS Saredi
Division of Neuromuscular Diseases and Neuroimmunology, Foundation Neurological Institute C Besta, Milano, Italy
J Neurol Sci 318:45-50. 2012..Cerebral MRI is important for identifying MEB and α-dystroglycanopathy phenotypes in children and foetuses, and hence for directing the genetic analysis...
- Atypical esophageal vascular lesions observed in liver cirrhosisFardowza A Nur
Department of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Via Morandi, S Donato Milanese, Milan, Italy
Dis Esophagus 23:E9-E11. 2010..There was no evidence of esophagogastric varices, but only of a moderate congestive antral gastropathy. To our knowledge, these endoscopic esophageal findings have not yet been described in cirrhosis...
- Increased flow-mediated vasodilation in cirrhotic patients with ascites: relationship with renal resistive indexMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Liver Int 28:1396-401. 2008..Brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD) after transient vascular occlusion is a non-invasive method to assess the shear stress-induced arterial vasodilation...
- Outcome of peritoneal dialysis in cirrhotic patients with chronic renal failureAmedeo F De Vecchi
Divisione di Nefrologia e Dialisi and Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, Milano, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 40:161-8. 2002..Results of peritoneal dialysis (PD) in cirrhotic patients with renal failure are debated. The aim of the present study is to assess the outcome of PD patients with liver cirrhosis...
- Pharmacological treatment of hepatorenal syndrome: a note of optimismFrancesco Salerno
J Hepatol 47:729-31. 2007
- The management of ascites in cirrhosis: report on the consensus conference of the International Ascites ClubKevin P Moore
Centre for Hepatology, Royal Free and University College Medical School, UCL, London, United Kingdom
Hepatology 38:258-66. 2003..Liver transplantation should be considered for all ascitic patients, and this should preferably be performed prior to the development of renal dysfunction to prevent further compromise of their prognosis...
- Effect of potassium canrenoate, an anti-aldosterone agent, on incidence of ascites and variceal progression in cirrhosisLuigi Bolondi
Division of Internal Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine and Gastroenterology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 4:1395-402. 2006....
- Nadolol is superior to isosorbide mononitrate for the prevention of the first variceal bleeding in cirrhotic patients with ascitesGianmario Borroni
Medicina Generale, Ospedale G Fornaroli, Magenta, Italy
J Hepatol 37:315-21. 2002....