Affiliation: University of Udine
- Management of human cytomegalovirus infection and disease after allogeneic bone marrow transplantationR Stocchi
Department of Medical and Morphological Research, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Haematologica 84:71-9. 1999..The aim of this article is to describe the main strategies used to prevent HCMV infection and to improve the survival after CMV disease in bone marrow transplant recipients...
- High-dose therapy in multiple myeloma: effect of positive selection of CD34+ peripheral blood stem cells on hematologic engraftment and clinical outcomeF Patriarca
Clinica Ematologica, Policlinico Universitario, P zale S Maria della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Haematologica 85:269-74. 2000..Positive selection of peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC) has been investigated in multiple myeloma (MM) with the aims of reducing plasma cell (PC) contamination of the leukaphereses and improving clinical outcome of autografted patients...
- Occurrence of multiple myeloma after fludarabine treatment of a chronic lymphocytic leukemia: evidence of a biclonal derivation and clinical response to autologous stem cell transplantationF Patriarca
Clinica Ematologica, Policlinico Universitario, P zale S Maria della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Haematologica 85:982-5. 2000..The occurrence of chronic lymphocyte leukemia (CLL) and multiple myeloma (MM) in a single individual is rare and there is no consensus about the clonal relationship of the two disorders and no clinical data about the response to therapy...
- Hepatitis c and lymphomaF Silvestri
Division of Hematology, University Hospital, 33100 Udine, Italy
Curr Oncol Rep 2:172-5. 2000..Experimental data further support this hypothesis. Recent findings include demonstration that patients with hematologic malignancies can be treated safely with standard and high-dose chemotherapy even in the presence of HCV infection...
- Sea-blue histiocytosis secondary to Niemann-Pick disease type B: a case reportA Candoni
Department of Bone Marrow Transplantation, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Ann Hematol 80:620-2. 2001..This is a simple and noninvasive method that is useful whenever clinical and morphological finding are relevant, and a primary hematological disorder has been ruled out...
- B-cell depletion with rituximab as treatment for immune hemolytic anemia and chronic thrombocytopeniaFrancesco Zaja
Clinica Ematologica, Policlinico Universitario, Udine, Italy
Haematologica 87:189-95. 2002..This could interfere with the production of autoantibodies in some immune diseases. The objective of this study was to assess the effects of rituximab in autoimmune hemolytic anemia and thrombocytopenia...
- P-glycoprotein, lung resistance-related protein and multidrug resistance-associated protein in de novo adult acute lymphoblastic leukaemiaDaniela Damiani
Division of Haematology, Department of Medical and Morphological Research, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Br J Haematol 116:519-27. 2002..LRP and MRP overexpression seems to be a rare event and no conclusion can be drawn on its prognostic role...
- Castleman's disease: an unusual cause of mediastinal mass and anemiaA Candoni
Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Clin Ter 153:217-9. 2002..The optimal therapeutic approach is unknown but a complete surgical resection is treatment of choice for localized disease...
- Autologous stem cell transplantation for Hodgkin's lymphoma: results and prognostic factors in 51 high-risk patientsAlessandra Sperotto
Division of Haematology, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Department of Medical and Morphological Research, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Adv Clin Path 6:77-85. 2002..0% of patients submitted to ASCT with refractory disease can be potentially rescued by transplant...
- Fludarabine-based induction therapy does not overcome the negative effect of ABCG2 (BCRP) over-expression in adult acute myeloid leukemia patientsDaniela Damiani
Clinica Ematologica e Centro Trapianti e Terapie Cellulari C Melzi, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Udine, Dipartimento di Ricerche Mediche e Morfologiche, Universita di Udine, Udine, Italy
Leuk Res 34:942-5. 2010..5% vs 28.5%) and earlier relapse occurred in BCRP+ patients. Also overall survival was affected by BCRP positivity, and survival significantly worsened in case of concomitant PGP and BCRP over-expression...
- Concomitant ABCG2 overexpression and FLT3-ITD mutation identify a subset of acute myeloid leukemia patients at high risk of relapseMario Tiribelli
Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Department of Medical and Morphological Researches, AOU Udine, Udine, Italy
Cancer 117:2156-62. 2011....
- The role of MDR-related proteins in the prognosis of adult acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) with normal karyotypeDaniela Damiani
Chair of Hematology and Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Udine University, Udine, Italy
Hematol Oncol 25:38-43. 2007..This finding could be used to stratify patients with different prognosis and to design risk-adapted therapeutic strategies...
- Effect of amifostine on the cytotoxicity of daunorubicin and daunoxome in tumor and normal cellsAngela Michelutti
Division of Hematology, Department of Medical and Morphological Research, University Hospital, P le S Maria della Misericordia, 33100, Udine, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 57:517-24. 2006..These patients may be candidates for alternative therapeutic strategies and the combination of DNX and Amifostine is an attractive treatment for these cases where a low nonhematological toxicity is required...
- Gemtuzumab-ozogamicin in combination with fludarabine, cytarabine, idarubicin (FLAI-GO) as induction therapy in CD33-positive AML patients younger than 65 yearsAnna Candoni
Division of Hematology, Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, Department of Clinical and Morphological Research, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Leuk Res 32:1800-8. 2008..Nevertheless, the role and safety of this antibody target-therapy in first-line chemotherapy in patients younger than 65 years has not yet been defined...
- Disposition of liposomal daunorubicin during cotreatment with cytarabine in patients with leukaemiaFederico Pea
Department of Experimental and Clinical Pathology and Medicine, Institute of Clinical Pharmacology and Toxicology, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Clin Pharmacokinet 42:851-62. 2003..To investigate the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of liposomal daunorubicin (DaunoXome) 80 or 100 mg/m(2) on days 1, 2 and 3 coadministered with standard or high-dose cytarabine to patients with poor-risk acute leukaemia...
- Brentuximab vedotin in patients with Hodgkin lymphoma and a failed allogeneic stem cell transplantation: results from a named patient program at four Italian centersCarmelo Carlo-Stella
Department of Hematology and Oncology, Humanitas Cancer Center, and Biostatistical Unit, Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Milan, Italy Departments of Medical Biotechnology and Translational Medicine and Hematology, University of Milan, Milan, Italy Hematology and BMT Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy Hematology and BMT Unit, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy Hematology, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria, Udine, Italy Medical Oncology, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milan, Italy
Oncologist 20:323-8. 2015..The aim of this study was to retrospectively evaluate the efficacy and safety of BV in a multicenter setting of cHL relapsing or progressing after allo-SCT...
- The achievement of molecular complete remission during treatment with imatinib mesylate correlates with relapse-free survival in bcr/abl-positive acute lymphoid leukemia patientsPier Paolo Piccaluga
Haematologica 89:1269-71. 2004..000). Moreover, the 6 patients with a bcr-abl/GAPDHx100,000 ratio <2 after 4 weeks of treatment had significantly better RFS (10.5 vs 4 months) (p=0.004)...
- Imatinib mesylate in the treatment of c-kit-positive acute myeloid leukemia: is this the real target?Michele Malagola
Blood 105:904; author reply 905. 2005
- A randomized study of interferon-alpha versus interferon-alpha and low-dose arabinosyl cytosine in chronic myeloid leukemiaMichele Baccarani
L and A Seràgnoli Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology, S Orsola Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
Blood 99:1527-35. 2002....
- Multicentre phase III trial on fludarabine, cytarabine (Ara-C), and idarubicin versus idarubicin, Ara-C and etoposide for induction treatment of younger, newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukaemia patientsDomenico Russo
Unit of Blood Diseases and Cell Therapy, Brescia University, Brescia, Italy
Br J Haematol 131:172-9. 2005..Our prospective randomised study confirmed the anti-leukaemic effect and the low toxic profile of FLAI as induction treatment for newly diagnosed AML patients...
- Rituximab for the treatment of type II mixed cryoglobulinemiaFrancesco Zaja
Arthritis Rheum 46:2252-4; author reply 2254-5. 2002
- Case-control study of multidrug resistance phenotype and response to induction treatment including or not fludarabine in newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukaemia patientsMichele Malagola
Chair of Haematology, Unit of Blood Diseases and Cell Therapies, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Br J Haematol 136:87-95. 2007..In this setting of patients, large prospective randomised studies should be planned...
- Incidence of bacterial and fungal infections in newly diagnosed acute myeloid leukaemia patients younger than 65 yr treated with induction regimens including fludarabine: retrospective analysis of 224 casesMichele Malagola
Unit of Blood Diseases and Cell Therapies, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy
Eur J Haematol 81:354-63. 2008..The intensification of induction chemotherapy and the use of non-conventional drugs such as fludarabine are considered responsible for the increased risk of infections...
- Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in patients with malignant haematological diseases: 10 years' experience of infection in GIMEMA centresLivio Pagano
Institute of Hematology, Sacred Heart Catholic University, Largo Francesco Vito 1, I 00168 Rome, Italy
Br J Haematol 117:379-86. 2002..Multivariate analysis showed that prolonged steroid treatment (P < 0.006) and a radiological picture of diffuse lung involvement (P < 0.003) were negative diagnostic factors...
- Hematologic and cytogenetic responses to imatinib mesylate in chronic myelogenous leukemiaHagop Kantarjian
M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX 77030, USA
N Engl J Med 346:645-52. 2002..Chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML) is caused by the BCR-ABL tyrosine kinase, the product of the Philadelphia chromosome. Imatinib mesylate, formerly STI571, is a selective inhibitor of this kinase...
- Resveratrol exerts antiproliferative activity and induces apoptosis in Waldenström's macroglobulinemiaAldo M Roccaro
Bing Center for Waldenstrom s Macroglobulinemia, Harvard Medical School, Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston, Massachusetts 02215, USA
Clin Cancer Res 14:1849-58. 2008..Whether resveratrol could inhibit proliferation or induce cytotoxicity in Waldenström's macroglobulinemia (WM) was investigated...
- Imatinib mesylate in the treatment of newly diagnosed or refractory/resistant c-KIT positive acute myeloid leukemia. Results of an Italian Multicentric Phase II StudyPier Paolo Piccaluga
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti, 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Haematologica 92:1721-2. 2007..No patient achieved complete remission. One patient obtained a hematologic improvement (platelet increase with transfusion independence). Median overall survival was 3 months (0.5-44+). Non-hematologic toxicity was overall mild...
- Ramipril in post-renal transplant erythrocytosisRaffaela Esposito
Department of Nephrology, School of Medicine, University of Naples Federico II, Naples Italy
J Nephrol 20:57-62. 2007..In this study the dose-response of a single ACEI was assessed, and patients were followed up for 1 year. The role of ACE gene polymorphism in both prevalence of PTE and successful response to ACEI therapy was also tested...
- Interferon-alfa for chronic myeloid leukemiaMichele Baccarani
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, University of Bologna and S Orsola Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Semin Hematol 40:22-33. 2003....
- Comparison between patients with Philadelphia-positive chronic phase chronic myeloid leukemia who obtained a complete cytogenetic response within 1 year of imatinib therapy and those who achieved such a response after 12 months of treatmentIlaria Iacobucci
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Oncol 24:454-9. 2006..Imatinib mesylate is a potent inhibitor of BCR-ABL, the constitutively active tyrosine kinase protein critical for the pathogenesis of chronic myeloid leukemia...
- Kaposi's sarcoma occurring in a young black man after kidney transplantationAntonietta De Blasio
Department of Nephrology, School of Medicine, University Frederico, Naples, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 20:2839-41. 2005
- Alpha1 acid glycoprotein binds to imatinib (STI571) and substantially alters its pharmacokinetics in chronic myeloid leukemia patientsCarlo Gambacorti-Passerini
Department of Experimental Oncology, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Milano, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 9:625-32. 2003..alpha1 acid glycoprotein (AGP) binds to imatinib with high affinity and inhibits imatinib activity in vitro and in vivo in an animal model. A pharmacokinetics analysis of imatinib was undertaken in CML patients...
- Imatinib and pegylated human recombinant interferon-alpha2b in early chronic-phase chronic myeloid leukemiaMichele Baccarani
Institute of Hematology and Medical Oncology L and A Seragnoli, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti, 9 40138 Bologna, Italy
Blood 104:4245-51. 2004..The BCR/ABL transcript was reduced by at least 3 logs in 68% of complete cytogenetic responders. These data of toxicity, compliance, and efficacy may assist in the design and preparation of prospective studies...