Affiliation: University of Bologna
- Carpal tunnel syndrome and manual work: the OCTOPUS cohort, results of a ten-year longitudinal studyFrancesco S Violante
Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Via Pelagio Palagi 9, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Scand J Work Environ Health 42:280-90. 2016..We applied the ACGIH threshold limit value (TLV)® method to a large occupational cohort to assess its ability to predict carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) onset...
- Upper-extremity and neck disorders associated with keyboard and mouse useStefano Mattioli
Occupational Health Unit, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy Electronic address
Handb Clin Neurol 131:427-33. 2015..Applying the general principles of ergonomics to computer work is probably the correct strategy to pursue, with the aim of maintaining office workers' well-being. ..
- Grand rounds: could occupational exposure to n-hexane and other solvents precipitate visual failure in leber hereditary optic neuropathy?Valerio Carelli
Dipartimento di Scienze Neurologiche, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Environ Health Perspect 115:113-5. 2007..Investigation of precipitating environmental/occupational (and additional genetic) factors could be relevant for prevention...
- Validation of the ACGIH TLV for hand activity level in the OCTOPUS cohort: a two-year longitudinal study of carpal tunnel syndromeRoberta Bonfiglioli
UO Medicina del Lavoro, S Orsola Malpighi University Hospital, Via Pelagio Palagi 9, Bologna, Italy
Scand J Work Environ Health 39:155-63. 2013..We validated ACGIH TLV© in OCTOPUS, a large cohort study on carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS)...
- A case report of vibration-induced hand comorbidities in a postwomanStefano Mattioli
Section of Occupational Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Nephrology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 12:47. 2011....
- Effectiveness of a 'Global Postural Reeducation' program for persistent low back pain: a non-randomized controlled trialFrancesca Bonetti
Section of Occupational Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Nephrology, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
BMC Musculoskelet Disord 11:285. 2010..3 and 6 months)...
- [Effectiveness studies in the Italian Society of Occupational Medicine and Industrial Hygiene congresses (1989-2003)]S Mattioli
Alma Mater Studiorum, Universita di Bologna, Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, Bologna
Med Lav 96:513-48. 2005..Knowledge of the results of studies on effectiveness of preventive interventions is a fundamental requirement in occupational medicine...
- Physical exertion (lifting) and retinal detachment among people with myopiaStefano Mattioli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, dell Invecchiamento e Malattie Nefrologiche, Occupational Medicine Unit, Alma Mater Studiorum University of Bologna, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Epidemiology 19:868-71. 2008..People with myopia (near sightedness) are at increased risk for retinal detachment. We explored other factors that may be associated with retinal detachment within this high-risk group...
- Occupational (and non-occupational) risk factors for musculoskeletal disordersS Mattioli
Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, UO Occupational Medicine, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital
Med Lav 97:529-34. 2006..A number of studies reported the importance of occupational, personal and psycho-social factors in the aetiology of these work-related disorders...
- Incidence rates of in-hospital carpal tunnel syndrome in the general population and possible associations with marital statusStefano Mattioli
Occupational Medicine Unit, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, dell Invecchiamento e Malattie Nefrologiche, University of Bologna, Italy
BMC Public Health 8:374. 2008..We evaluated age-sex-specific incidence rates of in-hospital cases of CTS in central/northern Italy and explored relations with marital status...
- Incidence rates of surgically treated idiopathic carpal tunnel syndrome in blue- and white-collar workers and housewives in Tuscany, ItalyS Mattioli
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, dell Invecchiamento e Malattie Nefrologiche, University of Bologna, Italy
Occup Environ Med 66:299-304. 2009..Rates of surgically treated carpal tunnel syndrome (CTS) among blue- and white-collar workers and housewives in the general population were compared...
- [COMMUNITY: project proposal for a multicenter study on musculoskeletal comorbidity among nursing staff]Stefano Mattioli
Sezione di Medicina del Lavoro, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, dell Invecchiamento e Malattie Nefrologiche, Alma Mater Studiorum, Universita di Bologna, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 32:227-30. 2010....
- Risk factors for operated carpal tunnel syndrome: a multicenter population-based case-control studyStefano Mattioli
Occupational Health Service, ASL di Ravenna, Ravenna, Italy
BMC Public Health 9:343. 2009..This population-based case-control study aims to investigate occupational/non-occupational risk factors for surgically treated CTS...
- Potential of ultrasonography for epidemiological study of work-related wrist tenosynovitisF S Violante
Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Italy
Occup Environ Med 64:82-6. 2007..To explore the possible role of ultrasonography in case definitions for epidemiological studies of work-related wrist tenosynovitis...
- [Carpal tunnel syndrome among supermarket cashiers]R Bonfiglioli
Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Azienda Ospedaliera di Bologna Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 27:106-11. 2005..Further longitudinal study could give more information about the role of different biomechanical risk factors in the onset of cumulative trauma disorders of the upper limb...
- [Evidence based prevention and upper limb work-related musculoskeletal disorders]R Bonfiglioli
Medicina del Lavoro, Alma Mater Studiorum, Universita di Bologna, Via P Palagi, 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 30:26-31. 2008..Future intervention studies should be based on well defined risk assessment and outcome measures, rigorous and long-term study design. Only strong levels of evidence could be the base of policy recommendations...
- [Usefulness of surface electromyography of hand muscles in the assessment of myoelectric parameters changes due to repetitive manual tasks]R Bonfiglioli
Universita di Bologna, Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Bologna, Policlinico S Orsola, Malpighi
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 29:575-8. 2007..In conclusion, this technique was able to show different myoelectric patterns and manifestations of fatigue between subjects exposed and nonexposed to manual intensive work, suffering or not suffering from CTS...
- Assessment of fitness for work in health care workers: biomechanical risk factorsE S Violante
Sezione di Medicina del Lavoro, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, dell Invecchiamento e Malattie Nefrologiche, Alma Mater Studiorum Universita di Bologna
Med Lav 103:198-202. 2012..As for carpal tunnel syndrome, there is no scientific evidence supporting a restriction of physical activities requiring forceful movements of the hand/wrist...
- [Low back pain among video-terminal workers: ergonomic postural interventions]P Pillastrini
Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Ospedale S Orsola, Universita di Bologna, Bologna
Med Lav 100:16-9. 2009..Several studies report a high prevalence of low back pain (LBP) among video-terminal (VDT) workers. Targeted ergonomic interventions can help reduce the burden...
- Relationship between symptoms and instrumental findings in the diagnosis of upper limb work-related musculoskeletal disordersRoberta Bonfiglioli
Occupational Health Unit, Sant Orsola Malpighi Hospital, University of Bologna, Italy
Med Lav 98:118-26. 2007..The diagnosis of UL-WRMSDs is mainly based on clinical features but its accuracy is further increased by physical examination and instrumental analysis...
- Prevention of work related eye injuries: long term assessment of the effectiveness of a multicomponent intervention among metal workersG Mancini
Occupational Health Service, Azienda USL di Ravenna, Ravenna, Italy
Occup Environ Med 62:830-5. 2005..Systematic assessments of the effectiveness of interventions to prevent work related eye injuries are needed...
- [Evidence-based medical surveillance in occupational health]F S Violante
Universita di Bologna, UO Medicina del Lavoro, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 28:156-61. 2006..Although the literature reports a lack of data, two main themes were selected and discussed: the quality of preventive actions and the cost-effectiveness of medical surveillance...
- Evaluation of an occupational therapy program for patients with spinal cord injuryP Pillastrini
Department of Neurological Sciences, Occupational Medicine Unit, S Orsola Malpighi Hospital, School of Physiotherapy, Alma Mater Studiorum, University of Bologna, Italy
Spinal Cord 46:78-81. 2008..Clinical controlled trial...
- [Work-related musculoskeletal disorders and diseases of the arm]F S Violante
Alma Mater Studiorum Universita di Bologna, Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Policlinico Sant Orsola Malpighi, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 27:74-7. 2005..This paper discusses their production and contents, including definitions, rationale, physiopathogenesis, occupational physician's contribution to biomechanical overload risk evaluation, medical surveillance of exposed workers...
- Iliac crest biopsy versus rib segment resection for the detection of bone marrow isolated tumor cells from lung and esophageal cancerS Mattioli
Dipartimento di Discipline Chirurgiche, Rianimatorie e dei Trapianti A Valsalva, Universita di Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 19:576-9. 2001..The aim of this study was to compare the accuracy of iliac crest biopsy versus rib segment resection in the diagnosis of isolated tumor cells in order to obtain a useful preoperative approach...
- Surgical therapy for adenocarcinoma of the cardia: modalities of recurrence and extension of resectionS Mattioli
Department of Surgery, Intensive Care and Transplants, Center for the Study and Therapy of Diseases of the Esophagus of the University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Dis Esophagus 14:104-9. 2001..However, surgery alone cannot cure the majority of adenocarcinomas of the cardia...
- Review article: indications for anti-reflux surgery in gastro-oesophageal reflux diseaseS Mattioli
Department of Surgery, Center for the Study and Therapy of Diseases of the Oesophagus Surgical Section, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 17:60-7. 2003....
- Comparison between subjective and objective assessment of the long-term results after the Heller-Dor operation in patients affected by oesophageal achalasiaS Mattioli
Division of Oesophageal and Pulmonary Surgery, Villa Maria Cecilia Hospital, and Center for the Study and Therapy of Diseases of the Oesophagus Surgical Section, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 38:544-51. 2006..Nowadays the subjective assessment of Health-Related Quality of Life after surgery for achalasia is often associated with the instrumental methods in order to evaluate long-term results of therapy...
- [OCTOPUS: longitudinal study on carpal tunnel syndrome and work]S Mattioli
Universita di Bologna, Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Italy
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 27:96-100. 2005..Herein, the study protocol is described...
- [Biomechanical overload diseases: epidemiologic data]F S Violante
Alma Mater Studiorum, Universita di Bologna, U O Medicina del Lavoro, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 25:301-2. 2003..Psychological and psychosocial factors can also affect the onset of both disorders. This review provides an overview of the main evidence in the scientific literature on these issues...
- Role and new perspectives of transforming growth factor-alpha (TGF-alpha) in adenocarcinoma of the gastro-oesophageal junctionC Barozzi
Pathology Division of The F Addarii Institute, Department of Oncology, University School of Medicine, Bologna, Italy
Br J Cancer 82:865-70. 2000....
- Ultrasonographic localization of occult pulmonary nodules during video-assisted thoracic surgeryM Piolanti
Dipartimento di Scienze Radiologiche ed Istocitopatologiche, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Universita di Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40100 Bologna, Italy
Eur Radiol 13:2358-64. 2003....
- Three-dimensional CT imaging and virtual endoscopy for the placement of self-expandable stents in oesophageal and tracheobronchial neoplastic stenosesM P Di Simone
Department of Surgery, Intensive Care and Transplants, Centre for the Study and Therapy of Diseases of the Oesophagus, University of Bologna, Via Massarenti 9, 40138 Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 23:106-8. 2003..3D CT may add information with respect to axial imaging, and be helpful to better plan and perform stenting of the oesophagus and airways without burdening the preoperative work-up...
- Endoscopic finding of granular cell tumour associated with leiomyomas in the oesophagusA d'Errico
Department of Oncology and Haematology, Pathology Division of the Felice Addarii Institute, Bologna University School of Medicine, Bologna, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 36:292-5. 2004....
- Three-dimensional analysis of pulmonary nodules: variability of semiautomated volume measurements between different versions of the same softwareM F Rinaldi
Radiologia III, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
Radiol Med 115:403-12. 2010..This study was done to evaluate the variability of semiautomated volume measurements of solid pulmonary nodules between two different versions of the same volumetric software...
- "Is this case of a very rare disease work-related?" A review of reported cases of Pacinian neuromaFrancesca Zanardi
Universita di Bologna, Unita Operativa di Medicina del Lavoro, Policlinico S Orsola Malpighi, via Pelagio Palagi, 9, I 40138 Bologna, Italy
Scand J Work Environ Health 37:253-8. 2011....
- [Progress of studies promoted by the MODS collaborative group]S Mattioli
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 25:206-7. 2003..These studies will generate new information about the prevalence and incidence of CTS in Italy, along with identification of regional, high-risk job titles and work sectors, and the relative influence of non-occupational factors...
- Diagnostic therapeutic flow-charts for low back pain patients: the Italian clinical guidelinesS Negrini
ISICO Italian Scientific Spine Institute, Milan, Don Carlo Gnocchi Foundation, ONLUS, IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Eura Medicophys 42:151-70. 2006
- [Occupational injuries and sickness absence: association with job demand, decision latitude, and life style in 2174 workers in the Veneto Region]G Mastrangelo
Dipartimento di Medicina Ambientale e Sanità Pubblica, Universita degli Studi di Padova
Med Lav 99:31-41. 2008..Stress was the most frequent (26,9%) health problem reported in a survey on the perception of working and health conditions in 5000 workers in the Veneto Region...
- [Risk assessment of biomechanical load for the upper limbs in housework]Emma Sala
Dipartimento di Medicina Sperimentale ed Applicata, Medicina del Lavoro e Igiene Industriale, Laboratorio di Igiene Industriale, Universita degli Studi di Brescia, Italy
Med Lav 98:232-51. 2007..There are few studies in the literature on work-related musculoskeletal disorders among housewives, also due to the difficulties encountered during risk assessment...
- [Effectiveness studies in the Italian literature on occupational health (1990-2006)]A Baldasseroni
CeRIMP, Regione Toscana, Firenze
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 29:458-60. 2007..To highlight the Italian contribution to EBP, a systematic review was performed, on the main OH-journals publishing in Italian language...