Affiliation: University of Sassari
- [Latent autoimmune diabetes in adults]M Maioli
Istituto di Clinica Medica e Terapia Medica, Universita degli Studi di Sassari, 07100 Sassari, Italia
Clin Ter 157:69-78. 2006..In this review we discuss the nomenclature, diagnostic criteria, immunologic and genetic markers, metabolic alterations and therapy of this form of diabetes...
- Number of autoantibodies and HLA genotype, more than high titers of glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibodies, predict insulin dependence in latent autoimmune diabetes of adultsM Maioli
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 163:541-9. 2010..In this study, we searched for sensitive markers associated with early development of insulin dependence...
- [Severe hypertriglyceridemia without organ complications in an alcoholic non-diabetic patient]M Maioli
Istituto di Clinica Medica e Terapia Medica, Universita degli Studi di Sassari, Italia
Clin Ter 160:217-21. 2009..The treatment of this disorder does not necessarily require LDL-apheresis but can be simply managed by parenteral therapy provided that no other risk factors are present...
- Sourdough-leavened bread improves postprandial glucose and insulin plasma levels in subjects with impaired glucose toleranceMario Maioli
Institute of Internal Medicine, Metabolic Unit, University of Sassari, Viale San Pietro, 8, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Acta Diabetol 45:91-6. 2008..This effect is likely due to the lactic acid produced during dough leavening as well as the reduced availability of simple carbohydrates. Thus, sour-dough bread may potentially be of benefit in subjects with impaired glucose metabolism...
- Autoantibodies against oxidized low-density lipoprotein (ox-LDL) and LDL oxidation statusPatrizia Brizzi
Diabetes Service, Department of Medicine, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 42:164-70. 2004..Our findings suggest that a relationship between OLAB titer and oxidation indices (BDC/I and BDC/LDL-C) does exist and we may speculate that an increase in OLAB/BDC-I ratio might be protective against the risk of atherosclerosis...
- Epitope-restricted 65-kilodalton glutamic acid decarboxylase autoantibodies among new-onset Sardinian type 2 diabetes patients define phenotypes of autoimmune diabetesMario Maioli
Metabolic Disease Unit, Istituto di Clinica Medica, University of Sassari, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 89:5675-82. 2004..Thus, GAD65Ab epitope analysis may help to define T1DM phenotypes among newly diagnosed GAD65Ab-positive patients classified with T2DM...
- A longitudinal evaluation of urinary glycosaminoglycan excretion in normoalbuminuric type 1 diabetic patientsPierina De Muro
Department of Physiological, Biochemical and Cellular Science, University of Sassari, Via Muroni 25, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 44:561-7. 2006..0%. The purpose of this study was long-term evaluation of GAG excretion variations in these patients compared to those with HbA(1c) < 8.0% at baseline who maintained better metabolic control over time...
- GAD65 and IA-2 autoantibodies are common in a subset of siblings of Sardinian Type 2 diabetes familiesMario Maioli
Cattedra Malattie Metabolismo, Istituto di Clinica Medica, Viale S Pietro 8, 07100, Sassari, Italy
Diabetes Res Clin Pract 56:41-7. 2002....
- Plasma lipid composition and LDL oxidationPatrizia Brizzi
Diabetes Service, Department of Medicine, University of Sassari, Italy
Clin Chem Lab Med 41:56-60. 2003..Both LDL/TG and LDL/HDL ratios can be used as predictive parameters of in vivo LDL oxidation...
- Urinary glycosaminoglycan and proteoglycan excretion in normoalbuminuric patients with type 1 diabetes mellitusPierina De Muro
Department of Physiological, Biochemical and Cellular Science, Institute of Clinical Medicine, University of Sassari, Italy
J Nephrol 15:290-6. 2002..The present study evaluated whether GAG excretion becomes abnormal in parallel with microalbuminuria, and whether such abnormalities are also present in normoalbuminuric diabetic patients...
- The Trp64Arg beta3-adrenergic receptor amino acid variant confers increased sensitivity to the pressor effects of noradrenaline in Sardinian subjectsMaria G Melis
Servizio Diabetologia, Istituto di Clinica Medica, Dipartimento Struttura Clinica Medica e Patologia Medica, Viale S Pietro 8, 07100 Sassari, Italy
Clin Sci (Lond) 103:397-402. 2002..Moreover, this variant also influences blood triacylglycerol levels and, to a degree, glucose metabolism...
- T-cell receptor repertoire analysis in monozygotic twins concordant and discordant for type 1 diabetesClaudio Fozza
Istituto di Ematologia, Universita di Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Immunobiology 217:920-5. 2012..Our findings seem to suggest that in monozygotic twins with T1D the TCR repertoire is influenced by genetic factors more than by the presence of the autoimmune disorder itself...
- Genetic loci linked to type 1 diabetes and multiple sclerosis families in SardiniaMaristella Pitzalis
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche, University of Sassari, 07100 Sassari, Italy
BMC Med Genet 9:3. 2008..These observations suggest that some unknown autoimmunity variant with relevant effect size could be fairly common in this founder population and could be detected using linkage analysis...