Affiliation: University of Pavia
- In vitro biosafety profile evaluation of multipotent mesenchymal stem cells derived from the bone marrow of sarcoma patientsEnrico Lucarelli
Osteoarticolar Regeneration Laboratory, Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, Bologna, Italy
J Transl Med 12:95. 2014....
- Gene transfer of HA-1 specificityRita Maccario
Laboratorio di Ricerca Immunologia dei Trapianti, Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 90:1303B. 2005
- Interaction of human mesenchymal stem cells with cells involved in alloantigen-specific immune response favors the differentiation of CD4+ T-cell subsets expressing a regulatory/suppressive phenotypeRita Maccario
Laboratorio di Immunologia dei Trapianti, Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, P le Golgi 19, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 90:516-25. 2005..We extended the evaluation of mechanisms responsible for the immune regulatory effect derived from the interaction of human MSC with cells involved in alloantigen-specific immune response in mixed lymphocyte culture (MLC)...
- Generation of mesenchymal stromal cells in the presence of platelet lysate: a phenotypic and functional comparison of umbilical cord blood- and bone marrow-derived progenitorsMaria Antonietta Avanzini
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 94:1649-60. 2009..However, relatively little is known about the mechanisms responsible for their immunomodulatory effects, which could be influenced by both the cell source and culture conditions...
- Treatment of EBV-related post-renal transplant lymphoproliferative disease with a tailored regimen including EBV-specific T cellsPatrizia Comoli
Laboratory of Transplant Immunology and Pediatric Hematology Oncology, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Am J Transplant 5:1415-22. 2005..These preliminary results suggest that a combined chemoimmunotherapy regimen including virus-specific T-cells is well tolerated and potentially effective as first-line treatment of EBV-related PTLD...
- Phenotypical/functional characterization of in vitro-expanded mesenchymal stromal cells from patients with Crohn's diseaseMaria Ester Bernardo
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cytotherapy 11:825-36. 2009..The aim of the study was in vitro characterization of MSC from active CD patients for future clinical application...
- Genomic alterations in human umbilical cord-derived mesenchymal stromal cells call for stringent quality control before any possible therapeutic approachAlessandro Borghesi
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy Laboratory of Neonatal Immunology, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy Electronic address
Cytotherapy 15:1362-73. 2013..However, it is still unclear whether UC-MSCs are prone or not to the acquisition of genomic imbalances during in vitro expansion...
- Human mesenchymal stem cells inhibit antibody production induced in vitro by allostimulationPatrizia Comoli
Laboratorio Sperimentale di Trapianto di Midollo Osseo, Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Universita di Pavia, V le Golgi 19, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Nephrol Dial Transplant 23:1196-202. 2008..Mesenchymal stem cells (MSCs) have immunomodulatory capacity, since in vivo they may prolong skin graft survival in the animal model and can rescue patients with life-threatening graft-versus-host disease...
- Cell-cycle phases and genetic profile of bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells expanded in vitro from healthy donorsValentina Achille
Unità di Epidemiologia Clinica, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
J Cell Biochem 112:1817-21. 2011..Cytogenetic analysis on synchronous MSCs allowed us to obtain 20-25 valuable metaphases/slide, whereas only 0-4 metaphases/slide were detectable in asynchronous preparations...
- Donor/recipient mixed chimerism does not predict graft failure in children with beta-thalassemia given an allogeneic cord blood transplant from an HLA-identical siblingDaniela Lisini
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Laboratorio di Immunologia dei Trapianti, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, P le Golgi, 2, I 27100 Pavia, Italy
Haematologica 93:1859-67. 2008..We investigated the relationship between the degree of mixed chimerism over time and clinical outcome of children undergoing cord blood transplantation for beta-thalassemia...
- Cell therapy of stage IV nasopharyngeal carcinoma with autologous Epstein-Barr virus-targeted cytotoxic T lymphocytesPatrizia Comoli
Laboratorio di Ricerca Area Trapianti e Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, V le Golgi 19, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Clin Oncol 23:8942-9. 2005..We conducted a clinical trial of EBV-targeted cell therapy with autologous virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocytes (CTLs) for NPC refractory to conventional treatments...
- Emergence of antitumor cytolytic T cells is associated with maintenance of hematologic remission in children with acute myeloid leukemiaDaniela Montagna
Dipartimento di Scienze Pediatriche, Universita di Pavia, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, P le Golgi 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Blood 108:3843-50. 2006....
- Polyomavirus BK-specific immunity after kidney transplantationPatrizia Comoli
Transplant Immunology and Pediatric Hematology Oncology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Piazzale Golgi 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Transplantation 78:1229-32. 2004..Our preliminary data suggest that lack of protective immunity toward BKV may favor the occurrence of BKV active infection and influence the progression to PVAN...
- Variations of the perforin gene in patients with autoimmunity/lymphoproliferation and defective Fas functionRita Clementi
Pediatric Haematology Oncology, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Blood 108:3079-84. 2006..A91V patients displayed lower NK activity than controls. These data suggest that perforin variations are a susceptibility factor for ALPS/DALD development in subjects with defective Fas function and may influence disease expression...
- In vitro evaluation of graft-versus-graft alloreactivity as a tool to identify the predominant cord blood unit before double cord blood transplantationAntonia Moretta
Laboratory of Pediatric Immunology and Onco Hematology Transplant, Infant Maternal Department, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Piazzale Golgi 19, Pavia, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 18:1108-18. 2012....
- Haploidentical hemopoietic stem cell transplantation for the treatment of high-risk leukemias: how NK cells make the differenceFranco Locatelli
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, University of Pavia, IRCCS Foundation, Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Clin Immunol 133:171-8. 2009..In view of the favorable clinical outcome of children with chemo-resistant ALL, Haplo HSCT from an NK-alloreactive relative could become a first option in these high-risk leukemia patients...
- Low percentages of circulating CD8(+)/CD45RA(+) human T lymphocytes expressing beta7 integrin correlate with the occurrence of intestinal acute graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantationM Antonietta Avanzini
Pediatric Hematology Oncology and Laboratory of Transplant Immunology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo Pavia, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Exp Hematol 34:1429-34. 2006..Therefore, we evaluated the correlation existing between circulating beta7(+) T-lymphocyte subsets early after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (allo-HSCT) and occurrence of a-GVHD...
- T-cell lines specific for peptides of adenovirus hexon protein and devoid of alloreactivity against recipient cells can be obtained from HLA-haploidentical donorsPatrizia Comoli
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
J Immunother 31:529-36. 2008..These T cells may be safely employed for adoptive treatment of HAdV complications...
- Autologous bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells in the treatment of fistulising Crohn's diseaseRachele Ciccocioppo
Clinica Medica I, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Universita degli Studi di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Gut 60:788-98. 2011..We therefore investigated the feasibility, safety and efficacy of serial intrafistular injections of autologous bone marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells (MSCs) in the treatment of fistulising Crohn's disease...
- Feasibility and safety of adoptive immunotherapy with ex vivo-generated autologous, cytotoxic T lymphocytes in patients with solid tumorDaniela Montagna
Dipartimento di Scienze Pediatriche, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Cytotherapy 14:80-90. 2012..Anti-tumor CTL, proven to be reactive in vitro against patient tumor cells, but not against normal cells, were infused following lymphodepleting chemotherapy administered to favor T-cell proliferation in vivo...
- Ex vivo generation and expansion of anti-tumor cytotoxic T-cell lines derived from patients or their HLA-identical siblingDaniela Montagna
Immunology Laboratory and Pediatric Hematology Oncology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, University of Pavia, Piazzale Golgi, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Int J Cancer 110:76-86. 2004..Altogether these results demonstrate that our experimental approach is suitable for efficiently generating and expanding anti-solid tumor CTL to be used for adoptive immunotherapy...
- Prospective simultaneous quantification of human cytomegalovirus-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell reconstitution in young recipients of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantsDaniele Lilleri
Servizio di Virologia, Instituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico San Matteo, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Blood 108:1406-12. 2006....
- T lymphocytes of recipient origin may contribute to the recovery of specific immune response toward viruses and fungi in children undergoing cord blood transplantationDaniela Montagna
Dipartimento di Scienze Pediatriche, Università Pavia, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Viale Golgi, 19, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Blood 103:4322-9. 2004..Our results document, at a clonal level, that after CBT recovery of either polyclonal or pauciclonal T-cell response toward widespread pathogens is prompt, with some patients benefiting from a contribution of recipient-derived cells...
- Innovative approaches of adoptive immune cell therapy in paediatric recipients of haematopoietic stem cell transplantationFranco Locatelli
Paediatric Haematology and Oncology, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, P le Golgi, 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 17:479-92. 2004..In this regard, strategies of ex-vivo generation and expansion of clones or cell lines, specifically or preferentially leukaemia reactive, have been developed...
- Human bone marrow derived mesenchymal stem cells do not undergo transformation after long-term in vitro culture and do not exhibit telomere maintenance mechanismsMaria Ester Bernardo
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Fondazione Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Policlinico San Matteo, Universita di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Cancer Res 67:9142-9. 2007..ALT was not evidenced in the MSCs tested. BM-derived MSCs can be safely expanded in vitro and are not susceptible to malignant transformation, thus rendering these cells suitable for cell therapy approaches...
- B lymphocyte reconstitution after hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: functional immaturity and slow recovery of memory CD27+ B cellsMaria Antonietta Avanzini
Laboratorio di Immunologia dei Trapianti e Oncoematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Exp Hematol 33:480-6. 2005..HSCT recipients may obtain protective titers of pathogen-specific antibody through vaccination, but optimal timing of reimmunization remains to be defined...
- Dendritic cells pulsed with polyomavirus BK antigen induce ex vivo polyoma BK virus-specific cytotoxic T-cell lines in seropositive healthy individuals and renal transplant recipientsPatrizia Comoli
Laboratory of Transplant Immunology and Pediatric Hematology Oncology, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy
J Am Soc Nephrol 14:3197-204. 2003..Application of this culture system may allow a preemptive therapy approach to BKV-related complications in transplant recipients, based on CTL treatment guided by BKV DNA levels...
- Generation and ex vivo expansion of cytotoxic T lymphocytes directed toward different types of leukemia or myelodysplastic cells using both HLA-matched and partially matched donorsDaniela Montagna
Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Laboratorio d Immunologia dei Trapianti, Universita di Pavia, IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Exp Hematol 31:1031-8. 2003..In this study, we evaluated the possibility of generating and expanding in vitro CTL directed toward different types of either leukemia or myelodysplastic cells, using both HLA-matched and partially matched donors...
- Single-cell cloning of human, donor-derived antileukemia T-cell lines for in vitro separation of graft-versus-leukemia effect from graft-versus-host reactionDaniela Montagna
Department of Pediatrics, Laboratory of Immunology, University of Pavia, Italy
Cancer Res 66:7310-6. 2006....
- Antineutrophil cytoplasmic antibody-associated renal vasculitis treated with autologous mesenchymal stromal cells: evaluation of the contribution of immune-mediated mechanismsMarilena Gregorini
Unità Complessa di Nefrologia Dialisi e Trapianto, Fondazione Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Policlinico San Matteo e Università di Pavia, Pavia, Italy
Mayo Clin Proc 88:1174-9. 2013..Infusion of MSCs induced expansion of the T-lymphocyte subset expressing a regulatory T-cell phenotype (CD4(+)CD25(+)Foxp3(+)) and a notable reduction in interferon-γ, interleukin 6, and tumor necrosis factor serum levels. ..
- Immunotherapy against EBV-lymphoma in recipients of HSCTPatrizia Comoli
Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Viale Golgi 19, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Expert Rev Hematol 3:625-32. 2010....
- Intracarotid Infusion of Mesenchymal Stem Cells in an Animal Model of Parkinson's Disease, Focusing on Cell Distribution and Neuroprotective and Behavioral EffectsSilvia Cerri
Laboratory of Functional Neurochemistry, Center for Research in Neurodegenerative Diseases, and Laboratory of Neurophysiology of Integrative Autonomic Systems, C Mondino National Neurological Institute, Pavia, Italy Immunology and Transplantation Laboratory Cell Factory Pediatric Hematology Oncology Department, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Pavia, Italy
Stem Cells Transl Med 4:1073-85. 2015..These findings suggest that many aspects should be further investigated before considering any translation of MSC systemic administration into the clinical setting for PD treatment...
- Inherited perforin and Fas mutations in a patient with autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome and lymphomaRita Clementi
Department of Biology and Medical Genetics, University of Pavia, Pavia, Italy
N Engl J Med 351:1419-24. 2004..The combined effect of the two mutant genes may have contributed to the development of the autoimmune lymphoproliferative syndrome and lymphoma in this patient...
- Infusion of autologous Epstein-Barr virus (EBV)-specific cytotoxic T cells for prevention of EBV-related lymphoproliferative disorder in solid organ transplant recipients with evidence of active virus replicationPatrizia Comoli
Department of Pediatrics, Immunology Laboratory, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, P le Golgi 2, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Blood 99:2592-8. 2002..This approach may, therefore, be safely used as prophylaxis of EBV-related lymphoproliferative disorders in these patients, following a strategy of preemptive therapy guided by EBV DNA levels...
- Evaluation of infectious complications and immune recovery following high-dose chemotherapy (HDC) and autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplantation (PBPC-T) in 148 breast cancer patientsAlberto Zambelli
Area Omogenea Oncologica, Divisione di Oncologia Medica, Fondazione Salvatore Maugeri, Clinica del Lavoro e della Riabilitazione IRCCS, Istituto Scientifico di Pavia, Italy
Anticancer Res 22:3701-8. 2002..High-dose chemotherapy (HDC) with autologous PBPC-T has been reported to be effective in hematological and in selected solid malignancies. In this setting, infectious complications represent a relevant cause of morbidity...
- Cord blood transplantation provides better reconstitution of hematopoietic reservoir compared with bone marrow transplantationFrancesco Frassoni
Centro Cellule Staminali e Terapia Cellulare, Dipartimento Emato Oncologia, Ospedale San Martino, 16132 Genova, Italy
Blood 102:1138-41. 2003....
- Survival advantage with KIR ligand incompatibility in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation from unrelated donorsSebastian Giebel
Department of Haematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Silesian Medical Academy, Katowice, Poland
Blood 102:814-9. 2003..These data indicate that natural killer (NK) cell alloreactivity is associated with better outcome after URD-HSC transplantation when ATG is used as part of GVHD prophylaxis...
- Reconstitution dynamics of plasmacytoid and myeloid dendritic cell precursors after allogeneic myeloablative hematopoietic stem cell transplantationFrancesco F Fagnoni
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Fondazione S Maugeri, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Clinica del Lavoro e della Riabilitazione, Istituto Scientifico di Pavia, Italy
Blood 104:281-9. 2004....
- Human mesenchymal stem cells and cyclosporin a exert a synergistic suppressive effect on in vitro activation of alloantigen-specific cytotoxic lymphocytesRita Maccario
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:1031-2. 2005
- Mesenchymal stromal cells, from indifferent spectators to principal actors. Are we going to witness a revolution in the scenario of allograft and immune-mediated disorders?Franco Locatelli
Haematologica 92:872-7. 2007
- Retransplantation after kidney graft loss due to polyoma BK virus nephropathy: successful outcome without original allograft nephrectomyFabrizio Ginevri
Pediatric Nephrology Unit, G Gaslini Institute, Genova, Italy
Am J Kidney Dis 42:821-5. 2003..Our report indicates that an original allograft nephrectomy may not be mandatory for successful retransplantation after graft loss caused by BKV nephropathy...
- Bone marrow-resident memory T cells survive pretransplant chemotherapy and contribute to early immune reconstitution of patients with acute myeloid leukemia given mafosfamide-purged autologous bone marrow transplantationGiulia Casorati
Experimental Immunology Unit, Cancer Immunotherapy and Gene Therapy Program, DIBIT, H San Raffaele Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Exp Hematol 33:212-8. 2005..A critical question is whether memory T cells resident in bone marrow (BM) of patients with hematological malignancies are resistant to either pretransplant chemotherapy or ex vivo pharmacological purging...
- Donor multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells may engraft in pediatric patients given either cord blood or bone marrow transplantationSara Pozzi
Centro Cellule Staminali e Terapia Cellulare, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Exp Hematol 34:934-42. 2006..The aim of this study was to analyze the donor/recipient origin of MSCs in children receiving allogeneic either BM or cord blood (CB) transplantation...
- Clinical features, long-term follow-up and outcome of a large cohort of patients with Chronic Granulomatous Disease: an Italian multicenter studyBaldassarre Martire
Dipartimento di Biomedicina dell Eta Evolutiva, Universita di Bari, Italy
Clin Immunol 126:155-64. 2008..No evidence justifying long-term prophylaxis with IFNgamma was obtained...
- Interleukin-15 favors the expansion of central memory CD8+ T cells in ex vivo generated, antileukemia human cytotoxic T lymphocyte linesLiane Daudt
Laboratorio d Immunologia dei Trapianti e Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico San Matteo, Brazil
J Immunother 31:385-93. 2008....
- Familial haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: survival of a premature twin with immuno-chemotherapy and bone marrow transplantation from an HLA-identical unrelated donorSimone Rugolotto
Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, Clinica Pediatrica, University of Verona, Via delle Menegone, 37134 Verona, Italy
Acta Paediatr 94:971-4. 2005..At 6 mo of age, a bone marrow transplant from an HLA-identical, unrelated volunteer was performed. Now at 32 mo of age, the infant is healthy and without signs of graft-versus-host disease...
- Haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis: proposal of a diagnostic algorithm based on perforin expressionMaurizio Arico
Onco Ematologia Pediatrica, Ospedale dei Bambini G Di Cristina, Palermo, Italy
Br J Haematol 119:180-8. 2002..Our flow chart could also lead to better selection of patients for specific gene analysis...
- A proportion of patients with lymphoma may harbor mutations of the perforin geneRita Clementi
University of Pavia and Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico, Policlinico San Matteo, Italy
Blood 105:4424-8. 2005..These findings suggest that perforin also plays a key role in the mechanisms of immune surveillance that prevent tumor growth and/or development...