Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Palermo
- Bypass of cell cycle arrest induced by transient DNMT1 post-transcriptional silencing triggers aneuploidy in human cellsViviana Barra
Department of Molecular and Biomolecular Science and Technology STEMBIO University of Palermo, Italy
Cell Div 7:2. 2012..Aneuploidy and chromosomal instability has been also correlated with epigenetic alteration, however the molecular basis of this correlation is poorly understood...
- Simultaneous Aurora-A/STK15 overexpression and centrosome amplification induce chromosomal instability in tumour cells with a MIN phenotypeLaura Lentini
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology A, Monroy, University of Palermo, Viale delle Scienze, Palermo, Italy
BMC Cancer 7:212. 2007..Also, alterations in genes required for mitotic progression could be involved in CIN.A major candidate is represented by Aurora-A/STK15 that associates with centrosomes and is overexpressed in several types of human tumour...
- RNAi mediated acute depletion of retinoblastoma protein (pRb) promotes aneuploidy in human primary cells via micronuclei formationAngela Amato
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e dello Sviluppo A, Monroy, Universita di Palermo, Viale delle Scienze, Palermo, Italy
BMC Cell Biol 10:79. 2009..Primary human fibroblasts were transfected transiently with short interfering RNA (siRNA) specific for human pRb to investigate the effects of pRb acute loss on chromosomal stability...
- Aurora-A transcriptional silencing and vincristine treatment show a synergistic effect in human tumor cellsLaura Lentini
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e dello Sviluppo A Monroy, Universita di Palermo, Viale delle Scienze, Palermo, Italy
Oncol Res 17:115-25. 2008..Finally, Aurora-A transcriptional silencing seems to confer cancer cells a greater sensitivity to chemotherapy by vincristine, indicating Aurora-A as a possible gene target in cancer therapy...
- RB acute loss induces centrosome amplification and aneuploidy in murine primary fibroblastsFlora Iovino
Department of Cellular and Developmental Biology A Monroy, University of Palermo, Italy
Mol Cancer 5:38. 2006..Moreover, since pRb is a transcriptional repressor, microarray analysis was done on pRb-competent and pRb-deficient MEFs to evaluate changes in expression of genes for centrosome homeostasis and for correct mitosis...
- MAD2 depletion triggers premature cellular senescence in human primary fibroblasts by activating a p53 pathway preventing aneuploid cells propagationLaura Lentini
Department of Molecular and Biomolecular Science and Technology STEMBIO University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
J Cell Physiol 227:3324-32. 2012....
- CENPA overexpression promotes genome instability in pRb-depleted human cellsAngela Amato
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e dello Sviluppo, Palermo, Italy
Mol Cancer 8:119. 2009..Functional inactivation of the Retinoblastoma protein (pRb) has been indicated as a cause promoting chromosomal instability as well centrosome amplification. However, the underlying molecular mechanism still remains to be clarified...
- Centrosome amplification induced by hydroxyurea leads to aneuploidy in pRB deficient human and mouse fibroblastsLaura Lentini
Dipartimento di Biologia Cellulare e dello Sviluppo A Monroy, Universita di Palermo, and Centro di OncoBiologia Sperimentale, viale delle Scienze 90128, Palermo, Italy
Cancer Lett 238:153-60. 2006..Finally, our results suggest that pRB dysfunction both in human and murine fibroblasts transiently arrested in G1/S by hydroxyurea allows centrosomes amplification, in the absence of DNA synthesis, that in turn could drive aneuploidy...
- Functional inactivation of pRB results in aneuploid mammalian cells after release from a mitotic blockLaura Lentini
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology A Monroy, University of Palermo, viale delle Scienze 90128, Palermo, Italy
Neoplasia 4:380-7. 2002..However, these cells escaped the arrest and became aneuploid upon pRB ablation by CRE recombinase, suggesting pRB as a major component of a checkpoint that controls cellular ploidy...
- p14(ARF) Prevents Proliferation of Aneuploid Cells by Inducing p53-Dependent ApoptosisLorena Veneziano
Department of Biological, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technologies, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
J Cell Physiol 231:336-44. 2016..Collectively, our results suggest that the tumor suppressor p14(ARF) may have an important role in counteracting proliferation of aneuploid cells by activating p53-dependent apoptosis...
- DNA demethylation caused by 5-Aza-2'-deoxycytidine induces mitotic alterations and aneuploidyGiuseppe Costa
Dipartimento di Scienze e Tecnologie Biologiche, Chimiche e Farmaceutiche STEBICEF, Universita degli Studi di Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Oncotarget 7:3726-39. 2016....
- Simultaneous reduction of MAD2 and BUBR1 expression induces mitotic spindle alterations associated with p53 dependent cell cycle arrest and deathLaura Lentini
Department of Biological Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences and Technologies STEBICEF, University of Palermo Viale delle Scienze, Palermo, 90128, Italy
Cell Biol Int 38:933-41. 2014..The results indicate that p53 is required to induce cell cycle arrest and cell death when the mitotic checkpoint is strongly perturbed, thereby preventing aneuploid cell propagation. ..
- Does the evidence matter in medicine? The retinoblastoma paradigmDomenico Mastrangelo
Department of Ophthalmology, Ocular Oncology Unit, University of Siena, Italy
Int J Cancer 121:2501-5. 2007..Overall, the "two hit" theory represents a rather simplistic and outdated model to explain tumour development and clinical evolution of retinoblastoma...