Affiliation: University of Padova
- Sequential development of hepatocellular carcinoma and liver angiosarcoma in a vinyl chloride-exposed workerMaria Guido
Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology Unit, Department of Medicine DIMED, University of Padova, 35121 Padova, Italy Electronic address
Hum Pathol 57:193-196. 2016..This case supports the pathogenic role of vinyl chloride in both hepatocellular carcinoma and angiosarcoma development...
- Liver biopsy sampling in chronic viral hepatitisMaria Guido
Universita degli Studi di Padova, Azienda Ospedale, Padova, Italy
Semin Liver Dis 24:89-97. 2004..Integrating earlier experience with more recently produced data indicates that a biopsy sample 2 cm or more in length containing at least 11 complete portal tracts should be reliable for grading and staging chronic viral hepatitis...
- Chronic viral hepatitis in children: any role for the pathologist?Maria Guido
Department of Diagnostic Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Gut 57:873-7. 2008
- De novo autoimmune hepatitis after liver transplantationMaria Guido
Department of Medical Sciences and Special Therapies Pathology Unit, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Semin Liver Dis 31:71-81. 2011..The final diagnosis may be a challenge in patients with recurrent hepatitis C, and requires careful clinical and pathologic assessment...
- Chronic viral hepatitis: the histology reportMaria Guido
Department of Medical Sciences and Special Therapies, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:S331-43. 2011..This paper aims to provide a systematic approach to the interpretation of liver biopsies obtained in cases of chronic viral hepatitis, with the hope of helping general pathologists in their diagnostic practice...
- Impact of liver biopsy size on histological evaluation of chronic viral hepatitis: the smaller the sample, the milder the diseaseGuido Colloredo
Liver Unit, Seriate Hospital, Bergamo, Italy
J Hepatol 39:239-44. 2003..In chronic viral hepatitis, liver biopsy is performed for assessing disease activity and fibrosis. In this study, we evaluated the impact of the size of liver biopsy on the grading and staging...
- Viral hepatitis: Treating hepatitis C in children: an open horizonMaria Guido
Department of Medical Sciences and Special Therapies, Pathology Unit, University of Padova, Via Gabelli 61, Padua, Italy
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:247-8. 2011..The results of the first controlled trial with PEG-IFN-α2a plus ribavirin are a step towards an appropriate treatment for these children...
- Management of chronic hepatitis C in childhood: the impact of therapy in the clinical practice during the first 2 decadesFlavia Bortolotti
University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:325-9. 2011..We retrospectively investigated the impact of treatment in a large cohort of children with chronic hepatitis C over the past 20 years...
- Fibrosis in chronic hepatitis C acquired in infancy: is it only a matter of time?Maria Guido
Dipartimento di Scienze Oncologiche and Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Azienda Ospedale Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 98:660-3. 2003..The natural history of chronic hepatitis C acquired in infancy is not well understood. The progression of fibrosis was analyzed in untreated children with chronic hepatitis C virus infection and no other hepatotoxic cofactors...
- Long-term course of chronic hepatitis C in children: from viral clearance to end-stage liver diseaseFlavia Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Gastroenterology 134:1900-7. 2008..The natural course of chronic hepatitis C (CHC) in children is not well understood. The aim of this study was to assess the long-term course of CHC in a large sample of otherwise healthy children...
- Liver steatosis in children with chronic hepatitis CMaria Guido
Department of Oncological and Surgical Sciences Pathology Section, University of Padova, Azienda Ospedaliera, Padova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 101:2611-5. 2006....
- Sequential algorithms combining non-invasive markers and biopsy for the assessment of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis BGiada Sebastiani
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, Padova 35100, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 13:525-31. 2007..To assess the performance of several non-invasive markers and of our recently proposed stepwise combination algorithms to diagnose significant fibrosis (F > or = 2 by METAVIR) and cirrhosis (F4 by METAVIR) in chronic hepatitis B (CHB)...
- A seven-gene signature (cirrhosis risk score) predicts liver fibrosis progression in patients with initially mild chronic hepatitis CMoira Marcolongo
Department of Histology, Microbiology, and Medical Biotechnologies, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Hepatology 50:1038-44. 2009..Multivariate analysis confirmed the significant association of CRS score with fibrosis progression. The predictive value of CRS was confirmed in hepatitis C virus patients admitting significant alcohol intake...
- Hepatitis C virus reinfection in liver transplant patients: evaluation of liver damage progression with echo-color DopplerMassimo Bolognesi
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Liver Transpl 14:616-24. 2008..In conclusion, the information obtainable from splanchnic Doppler parameters can be used to monitor the progression of liver fibrosis in transplant patients with HCV reinfection...
- Micronuclei and broken eggs in human liver carcinogenesisMaria Guido
Department of Diagnostic Medical Sciences and Special Therapies, Pathology Unit, Universita degli Studi di Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 28:2507-11. 2008..MNi/BE formation may result in activation of the p53-mediated cell cycle checkpoint...
- Torque Teno Virus: any pathological role in liver transplanted patients?Patrizia Burra
Gastroenterology Section, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Transpl Int 21:972-9. 2008..On the basis of our data, TTV does not seem to cause liver damage following LT, although larger studies with a long-term follow up are needed to confirm these findings...
- An updated follow-up of chronic hepatitis C after three decades of observation in pediatric patients cured of malignancySimone Cesaro
Pediatric Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 55:108-12. 2010..The aim of the study was to evaluate the clinical characteristics and the long-term outcome of chronic hepatitis C in a cohort of Caucasian children cured of pediatric malignancy...
- Effects of interferon plus ribavirin treatment on NF-kappaB, TGF-beta1, and metalloproteinase activity in chronic hepatitis CMaria Guido
Section of Anatomic Pathology, Department of Oncological and Surgical Science, University of Padova, Italy
Mod Pathol 19:1047-54. 2006..Combination therapy with interferon and ribavirin affects the tissue expression of TGF-beta-1 and NF-kappaB and favors metalloproteinase activity, and may thereby modulate hepatic fibrogenetic events...
- Predicting recurrence after liver transplantation in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma exceeding the up-to-seven criteriaFrancesco D'Amico
Hepatobiliary Surgery and Liver Transplant Unit, Department of General Surgery and Organ Transplantation, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Liver Transpl 15:1278-87. 2009..Beyond these criteria, however, a significant proportion of patients with a good HCC biological profile had an acceptable risk of recurrence...
- Obliterative portal venopathy without portal hypertension: an underestimated conditionMaria Guido
Surgical Pathology and Cytopathology Unit, Department of Medicine DIMED, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Liver Int 36:454-60. 2016..This study aimed to investigate the prevalence of obliterative portal venopathy and its clinical-pathological correlations in patients with cryptogenic chronic liver test abnormalities without clinical signs of portal hypertension...
- Chronic hepatitis B in children after e antigen seroclearance: final report of a 29-year longitudinal studyFlavia Bortolotti
Fifth Medical Clinic, University of Padova, Italy
Hepatology 43:556-62. 2006..Long-term monitoring is important, as is counseling on cofactors of liver damage, such as alcohol and drug abuse...
- SAFE biopsy: a validated method for large-scale staging of liver fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CGiada Sebastiani
Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine, Padova, Italy
Hepatology 49:1821-7. 2009..Fibroscan confirmed SAFE biopsy findings in 83.1% and 75%, respectively...
- Analysis of liver repair mechanisms in Alagille syndrome and biliary atresia reveals a role for notch signalingLuca Fabris
CeLiveR, Gastroenterology and Liver Transplant Unit, Ospedali Riuniti di Bergamo, Bergamo, Italy
Am J Pathol 171:641-53. 2007....
- Differential timing of oxidative DNA damage and telomere shortening in hepatitis C and B virus-related liver carcinogenesisMarika Piciocchi
Department of Surgery, Oncology and Gastroenterology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy Electronic address
Transl Res 168:122-33. 2016..Finally, TERT localizes in mitochondria in HCC, where it lacks a canonical function. ..
- Hepatitis C virus infection associated with liver-kidney microsomal antibody type 1 (LKM1) autoantibodies in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Pediatr 142:185-90. 2003..To evaluate the clinical pattern and evolution of chronic hepatitis C in children with liver/kidney microsomal antibody type 1 autoantibodies (LKM1)...
- Oxidative damage, pro-inflammatory cytokines, TGF-alpha and c-myc in chronic HCV-related hepatitis and cirrhosisFabio Farinati
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 12:2065-9. 2006..To assess whether a correlation exists between oxidative DNA damage occurring in chronic HCV-related hepatitis and expression levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines, TGF-alpha and c-myc...
- Hepatic expression of endocannabinoid receptors and their novel polymorphisms in primary biliary cirrhosisAnnarosa Floreani
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
J Gastroenterol 45:68-76. 2010..The endocannabinoid system (EC) has emerged as a crucial mediator in a variety of pathophysiological conditions...
- Reversal of liver cirrhosis: a desirable clinical outcome and its pathogenic backgroundFlavia Bortolotti
Clinica Medica 5, University of Padua, Italy
J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr 44:401-6. 2007..Future prospects include the possibility of antifibrotic therapy to prevent fibrosis or favor its degradation...
- Isoniazid-related fulminant hepatic failure in a child: assessment of the native liver's early regeneration after auxiliary partial orthotopic liver transplantationUmberto Cillo
Clinica Chirurgica no 1, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua School of Medicine, Via Giustiniani 2, Policlinico III Piano, 35128, Padua, Italy
Transpl Int 17:713-6. 2005..In fact, the histological picture in this particular case may suggest the potential for NL recovery after INH-related FHF...
- Study of the microcirculation in hDAF transgenic rat livers xenoperfused with human bloodSilvia Tomat
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, VI piano Monoblocco, Padua, Italy
Xenotransplantation 16:83-90. 2009....
- Stepwise combination algorithms of non-invasive markers to diagnose significant fibrosis in chronic hepatitis CGiada Sebastiani
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani, 35100 Padova, Italy
J Hepatol 44:686-93. 2006..Non-invasive markers have been proposed but their use is limited by diagnostic accuracy. Our aim was to increase the diagnostic performance of non-invasive markers of liver fibrosis by combining them in sequential algorithms...
- Changes in microRNA expression during disease progression in patients with chronic viral hepatitisAlessandro Sinigaglia
Department of Molecular Medicine, University of Padova, Padova, Italy IOV Istituto Oncologico Veneto, Padova, Italy
Liver Int 35:1324-33. 2015..Aim of this study was to identify miRNA signatures associated with stages of disease progression in patients with chronic viral hepatitis...
- Neuroendocrine tumor of small bowelChiara Martini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Gastrointest Endosc 60:431. 2004
- Systemic efficacy of combined suicide/cytokine gene therapy in a murine model of hepatocellular carcinomaAnna Lisa Stefani
Department of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnologies, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Hepatol 42:728-35. 2005..The aim of the study was to evaluate the in vitro and in vivo efficacy of combined gene therapy of HCC with two different MoMLV-derived retroviral vectors, an MFG- and a LXSN-derived vector, both containing HSV-TK and hIL-2...
- Chronic hepatitis C virus infection in childhood: clinical patterns and evolution in 224 white childrenPaloma Jara
Hospital Infantil La Paz, Madrid, Spain
Clin Infect Dis 36:275-80. 2003..Conversely, the higher rates of fibrosis observed in older patients suggest the possibility of an insidious progression of HCV-associated liver disease...
- Influence of steroids on HCV recurrence after liver transplantation: A prospective studyMarco Vivarelli
Department of Surgery and Transplantation, University of Bologna, Italy
J Hepatol 47:793-8. 2007..To assess the effect of long-term maintenance of steroids on HCV recurrence after liver transplantation (LT), that is still controversial, a prospective multicentre trial was conducted at the centres of Bologna and Padua, Italy...
- Liver biopsy interpretation for causes of late liver allograft dysfunctionAnthony J Demetris
Hepatology 44:489-501. 2006..A discussion of differential diagnosis is also presented...
- Hepatitis B in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Hepatology 45:831; author reply 831. 2007
- Liver transplantation for HCV cirrhosis: improved survival in recent years and increased severity of recurrent disease in female recipients: results of a long term retrospective studyLuca S Belli
Hepatology and Abdominal Organ Transplantation Unit, Niguarda Hospital, Milan, Italy
Liver Transpl 13:733-40. 2007..The combination of a female recipient receiving an older graft emerged as a strong risk factor for a severe recurrence...
- Long-term outcome of hepatitis C in childrenFlavia Bortolotti
Hepatology 39:1455; author reply 1455-6. 2004
- Lack of progressive hepatic fibrosis during long-term therapy with deferiprone in subjects with transfusion-dependent beta-thalassemiaIan R Wanless
Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathobiology, Toronto General Hospital and University of Toronto, ON, Canada
Blood 100:1566-9. 2002..This analysis of the largest collection of liver biopsies reported to date in patients receiving deferiprone demonstrates no evidence of deferiprone-induced progression of hepatic fibrosis during long-term therapy...
- Activation of the IGF1 system characterizes cholangiocyte survival during progression of primary biliary cirrhosisPaolo Onori
Department of Experimental Medicine, University of L Aquila, Italy
J Histochem Cytochem 55:327-34. 2007..This was associated and correlated with a balance of pro- and antiapoptotic proteins favoring survival rather than apoptosis, suggesting a major role of IGF1 system in promoting cholangiocyte survival...
- Mediastinal carcinosis involving the esophagus in breast cancer: the "breast-esophagus" syndrome: report on 25 cases and guidelines for diagnosis and treatmentSabrina Rampado
Istituto Oncologico Veneto IOV IRCCS, Italy
Ann Surg 246:316-22. 2007..Breast metastases of mucosal/submucosal layers of the esophagus are extremely rare: esophageal involvement is usually part of a mediastinal carcinosis...