Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Bari
- Autoimmune haematological disorders in two Italian children with Kabuki syndromePaola Giordano
University of Bari Aldo Moro, Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Paediatric Hospital, Piazza Giulio Cesare, 11 70124 Bari, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 40:10. 2014..This is the first report of Italian children with autoimmune haematological disorders complicating Kabuki syndrome...
- Issues in pediatric haemophilia carePaola Giordano
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche ed Oncologia Umana, Clinica Pediatrica, Università degli Studi di Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 39:24. 2013....
- Association of interleukin-(IL)10 haplotypes and serum IL-10 levels in the progression of childhood immune thrombocytopenic purpuraRiccardina Tesse
Department of Biomedicine of the Developing Age, Pediatric Unit F Vecchio, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Gene 505:53-6. 2012..01)]. Our findings show that patients carrying the GCC-high producer IL-10 haplotype have an acute development of ITP and that IL-10 levels might represent a useful predictive biomarker of the disease course...
- Hepatic veno-occlusive disease during chemotherapy for nephroblastoma: successful and safe treatment with defibrotide. Report of a clinical caseValerio Cecinati
Division of Pediatric Oncology Hematology, Department of Biomedicine in Childhood, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 31:702-5. 2009..Defibrotide proved safe and effective in resolving clinical symptoms and normalizing serological findings in the syndrome...
- Metabolic, inflammatory, endothelial and haemostatic markers in a group of Italian obese children and adolescentsPaola Giordano
Department of Biomedicine of Developing Age, University of Bari, Piazza G Cesare, 11, 70100, Bari, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 170:845-50. 2011..02; p < 0.0001; p = 0.0037; p < 0.0001; p = 0.017, respectively). In conclusion, our results suggest that childhood obesity per se is associated with a proinflammatory and prothrombotic state...
- Metabolic syndrome in childhood leukemia survivors: a meta-analysisMaria Felicia Faienza
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Pediatrics Unit, University of Bari A Moro, Piazza G Cesare, 11, 70124, Bari, Italy
Endocrine 49:353-60. 2015..Monitoring of MetS components in these patients is necessary to avoid cardiovascular consequences later in life...
- Pulmonary Arteriovenous Malformations and Cerebral Abscess Recurrence in a Child With Hereditary Hemorrhagic TelangiectasiaPaola Giordano
Department of Biomedical Science and Human Oncology, Unit of Paediatrics F Vecchio Center for Rare Diseases, Unit of Internal Medicine C Frugoni Unit of Otorynolaringology, University Hospital of Bari Regional Agency of Health Apulia, Via Gentile, Bari, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 37:e200-3. 2015..A definite diagnosis of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia was made based on clinical criteria and confirmed by genetic analysis. This is the first report of BA recurrence at the end of pediatric age...
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease in prepubertal children born small for gestational age: influence of rapid weight catch-up growthMaria Felicia Faienza
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, University of Bari A Moro, Bari, Italy
Horm Res Paediatr 79:103-9. 2013....
- Risk factors for subclinical atherosclerosis in diabetic and obese childrenMaria Felicia Faienza
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, University of Bari A Moro, Bari, Italy
Int J Med Sci 10:338-43. 2013..We aimed to evaluate early signs of atherosclerosis and investigate for predisposing factors in children and adolescents affected by type 1 diabetes (T1DM) or obesity, comparing them with healthy controls...
- The role of omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids supplementation in childhood: a reviewMarco M Ciccone
Cardiovascular Diseases Section, Department of Emergency and Organ Transplantation, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Recent Pat Cardiovasc Drug Discov 8:42-55. 2013..However, it is well-established that further studies are needed to endorse the promising results outlined by literature analysis. ..
- Clinical significance of serum cytokine levels and thrombopoietic markers in childhood idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpuraGiovanni Carlo Del Vecchio
Department of Biomedicine of the Developmental Age, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Blood Transfus 10:194-9. 2012..The purpose of this study was to assess the clinical role of both immunological and thrombopoietic markers in children with ITP and correlate their levels with different disease stages...
- Insulin resistance and endothelial function in children and adolescentsVito Leonardo Miniello
U O C B Trambusti, Giovanni XXIII Hospital, Bari, Italy
Int J Cardiol 174:343-7. 2014..The aim of our study was to investigate the relationship among homeostasis model assessment index (HOMA index), endothelial function and vascular morphology in order to better stratify cardiovascular risk in children and adolescents...
- Clinical and laboratory characteristics of children positive for antiphospholipid antibodiesPaola Giordano
Department of Biomedicine of Developmental Age, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Blood Transfus 10:296-301. 2012..We aimed to assess clinical and laboratory characteristics of a cohort of children positive for antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) to contribute to the understanding of the heterogeneous aPL-related features in childhood...
- Evidence that fibrinolytic changes in paediatric obesity translate into a hypofibrinolytic state: relative contribution of TAFI and PAI-1Fabrizio Semeraro
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Oncologia Umana, Sezione di Patologia Generale e Sperimentale, Bari, Italy
Thromb Haemost 108:311-7. 2012..These data indicate that paediatric obesity is associated with a hypofibrinolytic state which might contribute to the increased thrombotic risk associated with this condition...
- Screening for coagulopathy and identification of children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia at a higher risk of symptomatic venous thrombosis: an AIEOP experienceNicola Santoro
Department of Pediatrics, Division of Pediatric Hematology and Oncology, Ospedale Policlinico Consorziale, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Pediatr Hematol Oncol 35:348-55. 2013....
- Langerhans cell histiocytosis in a pediatric patient with thrombocytopenia-absent radius syndrome and 1q21.1 deletion: case report and proposal of a rapid molecular diagnosis of 1q21.1 deletionPaola Giordano
Department of Biomedicine in Childhood, University of Bari, Piazza Giulio Cesare, Bari, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 33:754-8. 2011..Descriptions of additional cases of LCH in patients with TAR syndrome are necessary before a cause and effect relationship can be proven...
- B-cell hyperfunction in children with immune thrombocytopenic purpura persists after splenectomyPaola Giordano
Division of Hematology, Pediatric Unit, AOU Policlinico Giovanni XXIII, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
Pediatr Res 79:262-70. 2016..Autoantibodies binding to platelets tag them for premature destruction in the spleen. For this reason, splenectomy is often performed as treatment of chronic forms of disease that are resistant to pharmacological therapy...
- Recommendations for the use of long-term central venous catheter (CVC) in children with hemato-oncological disorders: management of CVC-related occlusion and CVC-related thrombosis. On behalf of the coagulation defects working group and the supportive thePaola Giordano
Department of Biomedicine and Human Oncology, Pediatric Unit, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
Ann Hematol 94:1765-76. 2015....
- Elevated endothelin-1 (ET-1) levels may contribute to hypoadiponectinemia in childhood obesityCarmela Nacci
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, University of Bari, Medical School, 70124 Bari, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:E683-93. 2013..Whether enhanced release of endothelin-1 (ET-1) may directly impair adiponectin (Ad) production in obese children is not known...
- Thrombocytopenia-absent-radius syndrome in a child showing a larger 1q21.1 deletion than the one in his healthy mother, and a significant downregulation of the commonly deleted genesMaria Corsignano Guastadisegni
Department of Biology, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Eur J Med Genet 55:120-3. 2012..The mother, on the contrary, did not show the same downregulation. In summary, the present report adds new insights on the pathogenesis of TAR syndrome, that may represent fruitful directions for future research...
- Successful treatment with Protein C of febrile neutropenia in pediatric patients during cancer therapyPaola Giordano
Department of Biomedicine of Development Age, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 31:293-8. 2009..We report that PC replacement could shorten duration of FN and improve the clinical outcome. The administration of PCC was safe and without any complications...
- ITP-QoL questionnaire for children with immune thrombocytopenia: Italian version validation'sPaola Giordano
Department of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Pediatric Unit F Vecchio, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 31:534-47. 2014..The aim of this study was to test the psychometric characteristics of the ITP-QoL in the Italian pediatric population in terms of validity and reliability...
- Current management of the hemophilic child: a demanding interlocutor. Quality of life and adequate cost-efficacy analysisPaola Giordano
1Department of Biomedical Science and Human Oncology, University of Bari Aldo Moro, Bari, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 31:687-702. 2014..The current management of hemophilic children is the example of huge resource investments enabling long-term benefits in particular quality of life as a primary objective of the healthcare process. ..
- Association between DEFB1 gene haplotype and herpes viruses seroprevalence in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemiaRiccardina Tesse
Department of Biomedicina dell Eta Evolutiva, Pediatric Unit S Maggiore, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Pediatr Hematol Oncol 26:573-82. 2009..40%, p = ns). These findings suggest that leukemic patients carrying untranslated variants of hBD-1 display a higher susceptibility to herpes viruses infections than controls...
- Prospective study of hemostatic alterations in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemiaPaola Giordano
Pediatric Department, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Am J Hematol 85:325-30. 2010..Symptomatic venous thromboembolism (VTE) episodes developed in two cases during induction therapy, which did not allow the evaluation of the predictive value for VTE of laboratory markers...
- Hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: arteriovenous malformations in childrenPaola Giordano
Pediatric Unit, Interdisciplinary Department of Medicine, University Hospital of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Pediatr 163:179-86.e1-3. 2013....
- Chronic immune thrombocytopenia in childhoodGiovanni C Del Vecchio
aDepartment of Biomedical Sciences and Human Oncology, Pediatric Unit F Vecchio, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Consorziale Policlinico di Bari bStruttura Complessa di Pediatria, Ospedale Umberto I, ASL BA, Altamura, Bari, Italy
Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis 25:297-9. 2014..Currently, other drugs (thrombopoiesis stimulating factors, mycophenolate, dapsone, danazol, azathioprine, rFVIIa, cyclophosphamide, vinca alkaloids and cyclosporine) are recommended in special cases or trials. ..
- Morphological and functional vascular changes induced by childhood obesityMarco Matteo Ciccone
Section of Cardiology, D E T O, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Eur J Cardiovasc Prev Rehabil 18:831-5. 2011..To investigate endothelial dysfunction and morphological vascular changes in childhood obesity...
- Reduced interleukin-5 production by peripheral CD4+ T cells in common variable immunodeficiency patientsGiovanni Carlo Del Vecchio
Department of Biomedicine of the Development Age, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 30:679-86. 2008..05). In conclusion, the reduction of IL-5, involved in the late regulation of B cell differentiation into Ig-secreting plasma cells, may contribute to the defective antibody production in CVI patients...