Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Palermo
- Association between single nucleotide polymorphisms in the cyclooxygenase-2, tumor necrosis factor-α, and vascular endothelial growth factor-A genes, and susceptibility to hepatocellular carcinomaAntonio Giacalone
Department of Clinical Medicine and Emerging Pathologies, University of Palermo, and Department of Human Pathology, ARNAS Civic Hospital, Palermo, Italy
OMICS 15:193-6. 2011..Our results confirm that carriers with the C allele in the VEGF-A gene are more frequent in HCC versus LC (p=0.039), suggesting that this SNP may predispose to the development of HCC...
- IL-6 -174G/C polymorphism and IL-6 serum levels in patients with liver cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinomaLydia Giannitrapani
Department of Clinical Medicine and Emerging Pathologies, University of Palermo, and Department of Human Pathology, ARNAS Civico Hospital, Palermo, Italy
OMICS 15:183-6. 2011..IL-6 serum levels in HCC correlated with G carriers (G/G+G/C) (ρ=0.25, p=0.05). A positive correlation was also found between sIL-6 levels and some parameters of liver function both in LC and in HCC patients...
- Cytochrome P450 2E1 variable number tandem repeat polymorphisms and health risks: a genotype-phenotype study in cancers associated with drinking and/or smokingIrene Catanzaro
Department of Molecular and Biomolecular Sciences and Technologies STEMBIO, Section of Cellular Biology, University of Palermo, I 90128 Palermo, Italy
Mol Med Rep 6:416-20. 2012..In particular, we hypothesize that the A1/A1 VNTR genotype may have a protective role against drinking- and/or smoking-related cancers, and that A4/A4 may be a high-risk genotype during the early stages of cancer...
- Genetic determined downregulation of both type 1 and type 2 cytokine pathways might be protective against pancreatic cancerLetizia Scola
Cattedra di Patologia Clinica, General Pathology Section, Department of Pathobiology and Biomedical Methodologies, University of Palermo, Corso Tukory, Palermo, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1155:284-8. 2009..These results strongly suggest that a genetic background associated to a mild downregulation of type 1 and type 2 inflammatory signals might be protective against pancreatic cancer...
- Cytokine gene polymorphisms and breast cancer susceptibilityLetizia Scola
Patologia Clinica, Dipartimento di Biopatologia e Metodologie Biomediche, University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1089:104-9. 2006..On the other hand, both positive and negative association with BC have been reported for some of the studied genotypes by different research groups. In conclusion, further studies involving larger numbers of subjects are required...