Affiliation: University of Genoa
- Microscopic esophagitis and Barrett's esophagus: the histology reportRoberto Fiocca
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Genova and S Martino University Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 43:S319-30. 2011..It provides a detailed description of appropriate sampling criteria, individual lesions and how they contribute to the histology report...
- Gastric exocrine and endocrine cell morphology under prolonged acid inhibition therapy: results of a 5-year follow-up in the LOTUS trialR Fiocca
Department of Surgical and Morphological Sciences, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 36:959-71. 2012..It may also accelerate development of gastric gland atrophy in Helicobacter pylori-infected individuals...
- Long-term outcome of microscopic esophagitis in chronic GERD patients treated with esomeprazole or laparoscopic antireflux surgery in the LOTUS trialRoberto Fiocca
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 105:1015-23. 2010..We report detailed histological findings from the LOTUS study, at baseline and at 1 and 3 years after laparoscopic antireflux surgery (LARS) or esomeprazole treatment in patients with chronic GERD...
- Development of consensus guidelines for the histologic recognition of microscopic esophagitis in patients with gastroesophageal reflux disease: the Esohisto projectRoberto Fiocca
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Genoa, 16132Genoa, Italy
Hum Pathol 41:223-31. 2010..Further steps include evaluation of lesions without indicating the area to be assessed and exploring the correlation of microscopic esophagitis with symptoms and esophageal acid exposure...
- Microscopic esophagitis in gastro-esophageal reflux disease: individual lesions, biopsy sampling, and clinical correlationsLuca Mastracci
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Virchows Arch 454:31-9. 2009..Esophageal biopsy seems very attractive in non-erosive disease where it may contribute to diagnosis and play a role in the comparative evaluation of different therapies...
- Effects of 5 years of treatment with rabeprazole or omeprazole on the gastric mucosaGuido Rindi
University of Parma, Parma, Italy bDepartment of Pathology, University of Genoa, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:559-66. 2005..The objective was to determine the effects of 5 years of treatment with rabeprazole or omeprazole on the gastric mucosa...
- Achalasia with dense eosinophilic infiltrate responds to steroid therapyEdoardo Savarino
Division of Gastroenterology, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 9:1104-6. 2011..It is therefore important to control the inflammatory process in patients with idiopathic achalasia, which is likely to result from an autoimmune reaction...
- Reassessment of the diagnostic value of histology in patients with GERD, using multiple biopsy sites and an appropriate control groupPatrizia Zentilin
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialita Mediche, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 100:2299-306. 2005..Histology is generally considered as a tool of limited value in the diagnosis of gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD)...
- Long-term endoscopic surveillance of patients with Barrett's esophagus. Incidence of dysplasia and adenocarcinoma: a prospective studyMassimo Conio
Department of Gastroenterology, National Institute for Cancer Research, Genova, Italy
Am J Gastroenterol 98:1931-9. 2003..We evaluated the incidence of esophageal adenocarcinoma (AC) in patients with BE and the impact of endoscopic surveillance on mortality from AC...
- Squamomelanocytic tumor: a new case of a unique biphenotypic neoplasm of uncertain biological potentialFranco Rongioletti
Section of Dermatology, DISEM, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
J Cutan Pathol 36:477-81. 2009..The biological behavior of this neoplasm remains currently uncertain...
- Atypical variant of galli-galli disease (grover-like eruption with lentiginous freckling) in a liver transplant patientFranco Rongioletti
Section of Dermatology, Department of Endocrinological and Medical Sciences, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 33:504-7. 2011..Although Grover disease has been described in the setting of solid organ transplantation and immunosuppression, this is the first report of an atypical variant of Galli-Galli disease occurring in a liver transplant patient...
- HER2 heterogeneity in gastric/gastroesophageal cancers: From benchside to practiceFederica Grillo
Federica Grillo, Francesca Sarocchi, Roberto Fiocca, Luca Mastracci, Department of Surgical and Diagnostic Sciences, Pathology Unit, University of Genoa, 16132 Genoa, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 22:5879-87. 2016....
- Atypical Spitz Tumor Arising on a Congenital Linear Plaque-Type Blue Nevus: A Case Report With a Review of the Literature on Plaque-Type Blue NevusFranco Rongioletti
Department of Health Sciences DISSAL, Section of Dermatology, IRCSS AOU S Martino IST, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy Department of Surgical and Morphological Sciences, Anatomic Pathology Division, IRCSS AOU S Martino IST, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy and Dermatopathologie Friedrichshafen, Friedrichshafen, Germany
Am J Dermatopathol 37:915-9. 2015..This report adds to and summarizes the small body of literature describing PTBN and discusses diagnostic and clinical implications. ..
- A combination of immunohistochemistry and molecular approaches improves highly sensitive detection of BRAF mutations in papillary thyroid cancerClaudia Martinuzzi
Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties DIMI, University of Genoa, V le Benedetto XV 6, 16132, Genoa, Italy
Endocrine 53:672-80. 2016..PNA-clamp quantitative PCR is highly sensitive and complementary to IHC as it also recognizes other mutations besides V600E and it is suitable for diagnostic purposes. ..
- Intestinal Endometriosis: Mimicker of Inflammatory Bowel Disease?Antonio Guadagno
Anatomic Pathology Unit, Department of Surgical Sciences and Integrated Diagnostics DISC, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Digestion 92:14-21. 2015..The aim was to establish the frequency of IBD-like histology in IE and which type of histological lesions are shared by these two entities...
- Factors affecting immunoreactivity in long-term storage of formalin-fixed paraffin-embedded tissue sectionsFederica Grillo
Pathology Unit, Department of Surgical Science and Integrated Diagnostics, University of Genoa, IRCCS AOU San Martino IST, Largo Rosanna Benzi, 10, 16132, Genoa, Italy
Histochem Cell Biol 144:93-9. 2015..In contrast to results from other studies, when pre-analytical factors are strictly controlled and standardized, antigen decay seems to be restricted to nuclear or membrane antigens which require heat antigen retrieval...
- Pancreatic metastasis from mycosis fungoides mimicking primary pancreatic tumorPaola Ceriolo
Paola Ceriolo, Course in Paediatric Science, Fetal Perinatal and Paediatric Pathology, University of Genoa, 16132 Genoa, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 22:3496-501. 2016....
- Interobserver reproducibility in pathologist interpretation of columnar-lined esophagusLuca Mastracci
Department of Surgical and Diagnostic Sciences DISC, Pathology Unit, University of Genoa, Via De Toni 14, 16132, Genoa, Italy
Virchows Arch 468:159-67. 2016..Interpretation of cases with cardia/cardia-oxyntic atrophic-type epithelium, with or without ESEM, was least consistent, which reflects lack of clarity of definition and results in variable management of this entity...
- The Reliability of Endoscopic Biopsies in Assessing HER2 Status in Gastric and Gastroesophageal Junction Cancer: A Study Comparing Biopsies with Surgical SamplesFederica Grillo
Department of Surgical and Diagnostic Sciences DISC, Pathology Unit, University of Genoa and IRCCS San Martino IST University Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Transl Oncol 6:10-6. 2013..The aim of this study is to validate the accuracy of HER2 assessment on biopsies by comparing matched biopsy/surgical material from the same patients...
- Lymph node melanosis from a primary cutaneous lesion combining a nodular (tumoral) melanosis and a congenital dermal melanocytic nevusFranco Rongioletti
Section of Dermatology, DISSAL, DISC, University of Genova, Genoa, Italy
Am J Dermatopathol 34:653-7. 2012..We discuss the histopathological diagnosis of our primary cutaneous lesion and the sentinel lymph node microscopic findings, compare our case with the previous ones, and discuss the possible prognostic and therapeutic implications...
- Currarino syndrome with pelvic neuroendocrine tumor diagnosed by post-mortem genetic analysis of tissue specimensPaola Ciotti
Department of Neuroscience, Ophthalmology and Genetics Section of Medical Genetics, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Am J Med Genet A 155:2750-3. 2011..Since malignant neuroendocrine transformation of presacral mass in CS is a possible complication, even thought rare, close follow up in these patients is advisable...