Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Sassari
- Discrepant alterations in main candidate genes among multiple primary melanomasMaria Colombino
Unit of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry ICB, National Research Council CNR Traversa La Crucca 3, Baldinca Li Punti, 07100 Sassari, Italy
J Transl Med 12:117. 2014..Alterations in key-regulator genes of disease pathogenesis (BRAF, cKIT, CyclinD1) have been evaluated in patients with multiple primary melanoma (MPM)...
- Phase III randomized study of fotemustine and dacarbazine versus dacarbazine with or without interferon-α in advanced malignant melanomaAntonio Daponte
Department of Melanoma, Istituto Nazionale Tumori Fondazione Pascale, Via Mariano Semmola, 80131, Naples, Italy
J Transl Med 11:38. 2013..The effect of the addition of fotemustine and/or interferon (IFN) to standard therapy with dacarbazine alone in patients with advanced malignant melanoma was investigated in a multicenter, randomized 2x2 factorial design trial...
- Effect of dabrafenib on melanoma cell lines harbouring the BRAF(V600D/R) mutationsGiusy Gentilcore
Department Melanoma, Istituto Nazionale Tumori Fondazione Pascale, Naples, Italy
BMC Cancer 13:17. 2013..We here tested dabrafenib for its capability to inhibit cell growth on primary melanoma cell lines, established from patients' tumour tissues and carrying the BRAFV600D/R mutations...
- A role of BRCA1 and BRCA2 germline mutations in breast cancer susceptibility within Sardinian populationGrazia Palomba
Istituto Chimica Biomolecolare CNR, Trav La Crucca Baldinca Li Punti, 07100 Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:245. 2009..The occurrence of phenotypic characteristics which may be predictive for the presence of BRCA1-2 germline mutations was also evaluated...
- Serial detection of circulating tumour cells by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reaction assays is a marker for poor outcome in patients with malignant melanomaGiuseppe Palmieri
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare Consiglio Nazionale Ricerche, Li Punti Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:266. 2006..We here evaluated the prognostic role of RT-PCR assays in serially-taken peripheral blood samples from patients with malignant melanoma (MM)...
- Origin and distribution of the BRCA2-8765delAG mutation in breast cancerGrazia Palomba
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare Consiglio Nazionale Ricerche, Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 7:132. 2007..We evaluated both the prevalence of the BRCA2-8765delAG variant in Sardinia and the putative existence of a common ancestral origin through a haplotype analysis of breast cancer family members carrying such a mutation...
- Molecular alterations in key-regulator genes among patients with T4 breast carcinomaBruno Massidda
Department of Medical Oncology, University of Cagliari, Cagliari, Italy
BMC Cancer 10:458. 2010..We here evaluated the clinical role of some molecular alterations involved in tumorigenesis in a well-characterized cohort of T4 breast cancer patients with a long follow-up period...
- Nephrotic syndrome and angiotropic lymphoma report of a caseAntonio Cossu
Azienda USL n 1 Sassari, Istituto di Anatomia ed Istologia Patologica, Sassari, Italy
Tumori 90:510-3. 2004..This case and our review of the literature suggest that the rare association of intravascular lymphoma and glomerular disease is more than coincidental...
- Synchronous interdigitating dendritic cell sarcoma and B-cell small lymphocytic lymphoma in a lymph nodeAntonio Cossu
Institutes of Anatomic Pathology and Histopathology, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Arch Pathol Lab Med 130:544-7. 2006..A possible relationship between the 2 disorders is also discussed...
- Classic follicular dendritic reticulum cell tumor of the lymph node developing in a patient with a previous inflammatory pseudotumor-like proliferationAntonio Cossu
Institute of Anatomic Pathology and Histopathology, University of Sassari, 07100 Sassaru, Italy
Hum Pathol 36:207-11. 2005..The nodule was removed, and a diagnosis of a classic FDRCT of the lymph node was made. The present case is remarkable, and clinicopathological data show that IPT-like proliferations could be in some case an early presentation of FDRCT...
- Activating PIK3CA mutations coexist with BRAF or NRAS mutations in a limited fraction of melanomasAntonella Manca
Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, National Research Council CNR, Traversa La Crucca 3 Baldinca Li Punti, Sassari, 07100, Italy
J Transl Med 13:37. 2015..We here assessed the prevalence of the coexistence of BRAF/NRAS and PIK3CA mutations in a series of melanoma samples...
- Unexpected distribution of cKIT and BRAF mutations among southern Italian patients with sinonasal melanomaMaria Colombino
Unit of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry, CNR, University of Sassari, Sassari, Italy
Dermatology 226:279-84. 2013..Racial and geographic factors seem to affect the incidence of cutaneous and mucosal melanoma...
- Heterogeneous distribution of BRAF/NRAS mutations among Italian patients with advanced melanomaMaria Colombino
Unit of Cancer Genetics, Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry ICB, National Research Council CNR, Traversa La Crucca 3, Baldinca Li Punti 07100, Sassari, Italy
J Transl Med 11:202. 2013..Prevalence and distribution of pathogenetic mutations in BRAF and NRAS genes were evaluated in multiple melanoma lesions from patients with different geographical origin within the same Italian population...
- Impact of tissue type and content of neoplastic cells of samples on the quality of epidermal growth factor receptor mutation analysis among patients with lung adenocarcinomaPanagiotis Paliogiannis
Department of Surgical, Microsurgical and Medical Sciences, University of Sassari, Sassari 07100, Italy
Mol Med Rep 12:187-91. 2015..7%) and those with <50% of neoplastic cells (65 cases-2 mutations; 3.1%)...
- Epidemiology of thyroid cancer in an area of epidemic thyroid goiterAntonio Cossu
Department of Surgical, Microsurgical and Medical Sciences, University of Sassari, Via le San Pietro 43B, 07100 Sassari, Italy
J Cancer Epidemiol 2013:584768. 2013..Women are affected earlier than men and, therefore, suffer greater professional, economic, and social impacts. Overall mortality is low and a relative 5-year survival is excellent, especially in comparison to other malignancies...
- Anaplastic large cell lymphoma of the breast arising around mammary implant capsule: an Italian reportFrancesco Farace
Plastic Surgery Unit, Department of Surgery, Microsurgery and Medical Sciences, University Hospital Trust, University of Sassari, Viale San Pietro 43, Sassari, Italy
Aesthetic Plast Surg 37:567-71. 2013..We strongly suggest considering ALCL in any patient with a spontaneous breast seroma lasting more than 6 months after mammary prosthesis implantation. The suspicion of ALCL must be suggested to the pathologist immediately...
- Genome-wide association study of susceptibility loci for breast cancer in Sardinian populationGrazia Palomba
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Traversa La Crucca 3, Baldinca Li Punti, 07100, Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 15:383. 2015..Genome-wide association analyses in genetically-homogeneous populations, such as that of Sardinia (Italy), could represent an additional approach to detect low penetrance alleles...
- Prevalence of KRAS, BRAF, and PIK3CA somatic mutations in patients with colorectal carcinoma may vary in the same population: clues from SardiniaGrazia Palomba
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, CNR, Sassari, Italy
J Transl Med 10:178. 2012..In this population-based study, we evaluated the incidence rates and distribution of such somatic mutations in genetically isolated population from Sardinia...
- Role of key-regulator genes in melanoma susceptibility and pathogenesis among patients from South ItalyMilena Casula
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:352. 2009..Several genetic alterations have been demonstrated to contribute to the development and progression of melanoma. In this study, we further investigated the impact of key-regulator genes in susceptibility and pathogenesis of such a disease...
- Molecular analysis of Fanconi anemia and mismatch repair genes in patients with colorectal carcinomaMaria Colombino
Istituto di Chimica Biomolecolare CNR, Sassari, Italy
Oncol Rep 25:899-904. 2011....
- Role of BRCA2 mutation status on overall survival among breast cancer patients from SardiniaMario Budroni
Registro Tumori di Sassari, ASL 1, Sassari, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:62. 2009..In this study, we investigated the role of such mutations on breast cancer-specific survival among patients from North Sardinia...
- Distribution and significance of 14-3-3sigma, a novel myoepithelial marker, in normal, benign, and malignant breast tissuePeter T Simpson
The Breakthrough Toby Robins Breast Cancer Research Centre, Institute of Cancer Research, London, UK
J Pathol 202:274-85. 2004..This analysis demonstrates the utility of 14-3-3sigma as a new adjunct antibody for characterization of myoepithelial cells and myoepithelial lesions and it may be a novel prognostic factor for breast cancer patients...
- Prognostic value of circulating melanoma cells detected by reverse transcriptase-polymerase chain reactionGiuseppe Palmieri
Institute of Genetics of Populations, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Alghero Sassari, Italy
J Clin Oncol 21:767-73. 2003..Two main questions were addressed: first, whether the presence of CMCs, defined as the patient being positive for any of the three markers, had a prognostic role; and second, what the predictive value of each individual marker was...