Affiliation: University of Milan
- Prediction of asymptomatic cirrhosis in chronic hepatitis C patients: accuracy of artificial neural networks compared with logistic regression modelsMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 21:681-7. 2009..We compared ANNs with two logistic regression analysis-based models in predicting CHC histologically proven cirrhosis...
- The systemic inflammatory response syndrome in cirrhotic patients: relationship with their in-hospital outcomeMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 51:475-82. 2009..We studied 141 cirrhotic patients consecutively admitted to a tertiary referral centre assessing prevalence of SIRS and its relationship with in-hospital outcome...
- Diastolic dysfunction is associated with poor survival in patients with cirrhosis with transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Via Morandi 30, 20097 San Donato Milanese, Milano, Italy
Gut 56:869-75. 2007..Accurate prediction of the outcome of patients treated with TIPS is important, because some patients have very short survival. Diastolic dysfunction is frequently observed in patients with cirrhosis...
- Randomized controlled study of TIPS versus paracentesis plus albumin in cirrhosis with severe ascitesFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University and Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico Instituto di Ricerca e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 40:629-35. 2004..In conclusion, compared to large-volume paracentesis plus albumin, TIPS improves survival without liver transplantation in patients with refractory or recidivant ascites...
- Diagnosis, treatment and survival of patients with hepatorenal syndrome: a survey on daily medical practiceFrancesco Salerno
Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, University of Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 55:1241-8. 2011..Aim of this prospective cohort study was to investigate the prevalence of HRS, diagnostic criteria, treatment and 3-month outcome in the daily-clinical-practice...
- Increased flow-mediated vasodilation in cirrhotic patients with ascites: relationship with renal resistive indexMassimo Cazzaniga
Department of Internal Medicine, IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
Liver Int 28:1396-401. 2008..Brachial artery flow-mediated dilation (FMD) after transient vascular occlusion is a non-invasive method to assess the shear stress-induced arterial vasodilation...
- Humoral and cardiac effects of TIPS in cirrhotic patients with different "effective" blood volumeFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Italy
Hepatology 38:1370-7. 2003..Furthermore, TIPS improves the diastolic cardiac function of cirrhotic patients with effective hypovolemia. This result is likely due to a TIPS-related improvement of the fullness of central blood volume...
- Therapeutic strategies and emergence of multiresistant bacterial strainsFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, Policlinico IRCCS San Donato, Universita di Milano, Via Morandi, 30, 20097, San Donato Milanese, Italy
Intern Emerg Med 5:S45-51. 2010..This involves the necessity to use a different strategy of antibiotic prophylaxis as well as a more strict surveillance of patients at risk...
- Point-of-care coagulation monitors calibrated for the international normalized ratio for cirrhosis (INRliver) can help to implement the INRliver for the calculation of the MELD scoreArmando Tripodi
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine and Medical Specialties, University and IRCCS Ospedale Maggiore, Mangiagalli and Regina Elena Foundation, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 51:288-95. 2009..This study aimed to assess whether easy-to-run whole-blood coagulation monitors (widely used for patients on VKA) can be calibrated to measure efficiently the INR(liver) and minimize the interlaboratory variability...
- Evidence of normal thrombin generation in cirrhosis despite abnormal conventional coagulation testsArmando Tripodi
Angelo Bianchi Bonomi Hemophilia and Thrombosis Center, Department of Internal Medicine and Dermatology, University and IRCCS Maggiore Hospital, Milan, Italy
Hepatology 41:553-8. 2005..For a clinical validation of these findings, a prospective clinical trial is warranted where the results of thrombin generation in the presence of thrombomodulin are related to the occurrence of bleeding...
- Prevalence and appropriateness of drug prescriptions for peptic ulcer and gastro-esophageal reflux disease in a cohort of hospitalized elderlyL Pasina
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Eur J Intern Med 22:205-10. 2011..Inappropriate prescription is of particular concern among elderly patients, who have often multiple comorbidities and need many drugs...
- MELD score is better than Child-Pugh score in predicting 3-month survival of patients undergoing transjugular intrahepatic portosystemic shuntFrancesco Salerno
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Milan, Via Pace 9, 20122 Milan, Italy
J Hepatol 36:494-500. 2002..The aim of this study was to compare model of end-stage liver disease (MELD) and Child-Pugh scores as predictors of survival after TIPS...