Affiliation: University of Catania
- Negative/low expression of the Met/hepatocyte growth factor receptor identifies papillary thyroid carcinomas with high risk of distant metastasesA Belfiore
Cattedra di Endocrinologia, University of Catania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 82:2322-8. 1997..99; P = 0.0099), and vascular invasion (hazard ratio = 3.19; P = 0.0358). These findings suggest a role for Met/HGF-R in papillary thyroid cancer and its clinical use to select patients with a high risk of distant metastases...
- False-positive findings on (131)I whole-body scans because of posttraumatic superficial scabsConcetto Regalbuto
Department of Internal Medicine, Garibaldi Hospital, University of Catania, Catania, Italy
J Nucl Med 43:207-9. 2002..We report a newly identified cause of false-positive WBS findings: posttraumatic superficial scabs...
- Usefulness of recombinant human thyrotropin in the radiometabolic treatment of selected patients with thyroid cancerG Pellegriti
Istituto di Medicina Interna e Malattie Endocrine e del Metabolismo, University of Catania Medical School, Ospedale Garibaldi, Catania, Italy
Thyroid 11:1025-30. 2001..Its efficacy to treat advanced metastatic disease should be further investigated...
- The Q121 PC-1 variant and obesity have additive and independent effects in causing insulin resistanceL Frittitta
Istituto di Medicina Interna, Endocrinologia e Malattie del Metabolismo, Ospedale Garibaldi, Universita di Catania, 95123 Catania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:5888-91. 2001..05) of BMI, gender, age, and waist circumference. In conclusion, the Q121 PC-1 variant and obesity have independent and additive effects in causing insulin resistance...
- Chronic exposure to high leucine impairs glucose-induced insulin release by lowering the ATP-to-ADP ratioM Anello
Institute of Internal Medicine, Endocrinology, and Metabolism and S Signorelli Diabetes Center, Ospedale Garibaldi, Italy
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 281:E1082-7. 2001..The abnormal plasma amino acid levels often present in obesity and diabetes may, therefore, affect pancreatic islet insulin secretion in these patients...
- Tyrosine kinase inhibitor STI571 enhances thyroid cancer cell motile response to Hepatocyte Growth FactorF Frasca
Istituto di Medicina Interna, Malattie Endocrine e del Metabolismo, Universita di Catania, Ospedale Garibaldi, Piazza S Maria di Gesù, 95123 Catania, Italy
Oncogene 20:3845-56. 2001..These data suggests that c-Abl and/or STI571-inhibited tyrosine kinases can negatively regulate the Met receptor to restrain the motile response in thyroid cancer cells...
- High insulin levels do not influence PC-1 gene expression and protein content in human muscle tissue and hepatoma cellsL Frittitta
Institute of Internal Medicine, Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, University of Catania, Garibaldi Hospital, Catania, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 16:26-32. 2000..Data were compared with those obtained in matched insulin sensitive or resistant healthy subjects. In addition, the effect of high insulin concentration on PC-1 protein content was studied in HepG2 cells...
- A soluble PC-1 circulates in human plasma: relationship with insulin resistance and associated abnormalitiesL Frittitta
Istituto di Medicina Interna, Malattie Endocrine e Metaboliche, Universita di Catania, Ospedale Garibaldi
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3620-5. 1999..In conclusion, PC-1 circulates in human plasma, and its concentration is related to insulin sensitivity. This may help to plan studies aimed at understanding the role of PC-1 in insulin resistance...
- Elevated PC-1 content in cultured skin fibroblasts correlates with decreased in vivo and in vitro insulin action in nondiabetic subjects: evidence that PC-1 may be an intrinsic factor in impaired insulin receptor signalingL Frittitta
Institute of Internal Medicine, Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases, University of Catania, Garibaldi Hospital, Italy
Diabetes 47:1095-100. 1998..These studies indicate, therefore, that the elevation of PC-1 content may be a primary factor in the cause of insulin resistance...
- Thyroid hemiagenesis: prevalence in normal children and effect on thyroid functionRaffaella Maiorana
Endocrinologia, Dipartimento di Medicina Interna e Specialistica dell Università di Catania, Ospedale Garibaldi, 95125 Catania, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 88:1534-6. 2003..The high risk of goiter and hypothyroidism suggests systematic follow-up of all identified cases of thyroid hemiagenesis...
- Efficacy of real-time continuous glucose monitoring on glycaemic control and glucose variability in type 1 diabetic patients treated with either insulin pumps or multiple insulin injection therapy: a randomized controlled crossover trialAndrea Tumminia
Endocrinology, Department of Clinical and Molecular Biomedicine, University of Catania, Garibaldi Nesima Hospital, Catania, Italy
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 31:61-8. 2015..The aim of this study was to determine the efficacy of real-time continuous glucose monitoring in T1D patients treated with insulin pump therapy or multiple daily insulin therapy...
- Genetics of specific phenotypes of congenital hypothyroidism: a population-based approachFrancesca Calaciura
Istituto di Medicina Interna, Malattie Endocrine e del Metabolismo dell Università di Catania, Ospedale Garibaldi, Catania, Italy
Thyroid 12:945-51. 2002..In the latter group (n = 8), a patient with a 16-base pair C(T)(13)CC deletion in TSHR gene intron 8, 42-bp distal to exon/intron 8 splice junction, was identified. No mutation was identified in Pax8 gene...