Affiliation: University of Milan
- Experience-dependent reactivation of ocular dominance plasticity in the adult visual cortexLaura Baroncelli
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56100, Pisa, Italy
Exp Neurol 226:100-9. 2010..The non-invasive nature of EE makes this paradigm particularly eligible for clinical application...
- Early IGF-1 primes visual cortex maturation and accelerates developmental switch between NKCC1 and KCC2 chloride transporters in enriched animalsLaura Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience CNR, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124, Pisa, Italy Electronic address
Neuropharmacology 113:167-177. 2017..In addition, early IGF-1 promoted a later occurring increase in its own expression, suggesting a priming effect of early IGF-1 in driving post-weaning cortical maturation...
- A mouse model for creatine transporter deficiency reveals early onset cognitive impairment and neuropathology associated with brain agingLaura Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience, National Research Council CNR, Pisa, Italy
Hum Mol Genet 25:4186-4200. 2016..Our data suggest that brain Cr depletion causes both early intellectual disability and late progressive cognitive decline, and identify novel targets to design intervention strategies aimed at overcoming brain CCDS1 alterations...
- Visual depth perception in normal and deprived rats: effects of environmental enrichmentL Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience, CNR, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
Neuroscience 236:313-9. 2013..Our results encourage efforts in the clinical application of paradigms based on EE as an intervention strategy for treating amblyopia in adulthood...
- Insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1) mediates the effects of enriched environment (EE) on visual cortical developmentFrancesca Ciucci
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 2:e475. 2007..This suggests that IGF-1 action in mediating EE effects could be exerted through the modulation of intracortical inhibitory circuitry and PNN development...
- Enriched experience and recovery from amblyopia in adult rats: impact of motor, social and sensory componentsLaura Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience CNR, Pisa I 56100, Italy
Neuropharmacology 62:2388-97. 2012..These findings could have a bearing in orienting clinical research in the field of amblyopia therapy...
- Fluoxetine in adulthood normalizes GABA release and rescues hippocampal synaptic plasticity and spatial memory in a mouse model of Down syndromeTatjana Begenisic
Institute of Neuroscience CNR, Pisa I 56100, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 63:12-9. 2014..Our findings might encourage new experimental attempts aimed at investigating the potential of fluoxetine for application in the treatment of major functional deficits in adult people with DS. ..
- Enriched early life experiences reduce adult anxiety-like behavior in rats: a role for insulin-like growth factor 1Sara Baldini
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 33:11715-23. 2013..These results suggest that IGF-1 could be involved in mediating the long-lasting effects of early life experiences on vulnerability/resilience to stress in adults. ..
- Massage accelerates brain development and the maturation of visual functionAndrea Guzzetta
Department of Developmental Neuroscience, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico Stella Maris, I 56128 Calambrone, Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 29:6042-51. 2009..These results demonstrate that massage has an influence on brain development and in particular on visual development and suggest that its effects are mediated by specific endogenous factors such as IGF-1...
- A rich environmental experience reactivates visual cortex plasticity in aged ratsManuela Scali
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124, Pisa, Italy
Exp Gerontol 47:337-41. 2012..A marked reduction in intracortical GABAergic inhibition and a remodeling of extracellular matrix accompany this effect. The non-invasive nature of EE makes this paradigm eligible for human application...
- Food restriction enhances visual cortex plasticity in adulthoodMaria Spolidoro
Institute of Neuroscience, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
Nat Commun 2:320. 2011..Our results suggest that food restriction could be investigated as a potential way of modulating plasticity...
- Brain plasticity and disease: a matter of inhibitionLaura Baroncelli
National Research Council CNR, Neuroscience Institute, Via Moruzzi 1, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
Neural Plast 2011:286073. 2011..This paper summarizes recent findings showing that the inhibition-excitation balance controls adult brain plasticity and is at the core of the pathogenesis of neurodevelopmental disorders like autism, Down syndrome, and Rett syndrome...
- Experience Affects Critical Period Plasticity in the Visual Cortex through an Epigenetic Regulation of Histone Post-Translational ModificationsLaura Baroncelli
Neuroscience Institute, National Research Council, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 36:3430-40. 2016..These findings demonstrate a critical involvement of the epigenetic machinery as a mediator of visual cortex developmental plasticity and of the impact of EE on OD plasticity...
- New perspectives in amblyopia therapy on adults: a critical role for the excitatory/inhibitory balanceLaura Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience, National Research Council Pisa, Italy
Front Cell Neurosci 5:25. 2011..These studies point toward the intracortical inhibitory transmission as a crucial brake for therapeutic rehabilitation and recovery from amblyopia in the adult brain...
- Electrophysiology of glioma: a Rho GTPase-activating protein reduces tumor growth and spares neuron structure and functionEleonora Vannini
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Pisa, Italy E V, F O, L B, M C, Mat C CNR Cellular Biology and Neurobiology Institute, Rome, Italy S M, M A T Fondazione Pisana per la Scienza, Mass Spectrometry and Proteomics, Pisa, Italy E L d G, L M Institut für Experimentelle und Klinische Pharmakologie und Toxikologie, Freiburg, Germany G S Istituto Superiore di Sanità, Rome, Italy A F, C F Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy M C, Mat C
Neuro Oncol 18:1634-1643. 2016..We also investigated whether this toxin spares neuron structure and function in peritumoral areas...