Genomes and Genes
University of Pisa
Organization: University of Pisa
- Treatment of intermediate/advanced hepatocellular carcinoma in the clinic: how can outcomes be improved?Riccardo Lencioni
Division of Diagnostic Imaging and Intervention, Department of Liver Transplantation, Hepatology, and Infectious Diseases, Pisa University School of Medicine, Cisanello Hospital, Pisa, Italy
Oncologist 15:42-52. 2010..It is hoped that findings from the GIDEON study along with phase III RCT data will lead to better outcomes for patients with intermediate-advanced HCC...
- Autoimmune diseases of the liver and biliary tract and overlap syndromes in childhoodG Maggiore
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Department of Pediatrics, Azienda Ospedaliera, Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy
Minerva Gastroenterol Dietol 55:53-70. 2009....
- Evaluation of tramadol and its main metabolites in horse plasma by high-performance liquid chromatography/fluorescence and liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry techniquesMarinella De Leo
Dipartimento di Chimica Bioorganica e Biofarmacia, Universita di Pisa, Via Bonanno 33, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 23:228-36. 2009..Another metabolite, M6, was also detected and identified. The present findings demonstrate the usefulness and the advantage of LC/ESI-MS/MS techniques in a search for tramadol metabolites in horse plasma samples...
- Changes in the expression of suppressor of cytokine signalling (SOCS) 2 in the colonic mucosa of acromegalic patients are associated with hyperplastic polypsFausto Bogazzi
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 70:898-906. 2009..Acromegalic patients have increased prevalence of colonic polyps. Development of hyperplastic polyps was related to suppressor of cytokine signalling (SOCS) 2 haploinsufficiency in animal models of acromegaly...
- Clinical pharmacokinetics of penicillins in the neonate: a review of the literatureG M Pacifici
Department of Neurosciences, Section of Pharmacology, Medical School, Via Roma 55, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Clin Pharmacol 65:191-8. 2009..As such, the pharmacokinetics of penicillins need be studied in neonates in order to optimise therapy in this age class with these drugs...
- Skin permeation and distribution of two sunscreens: a comparison between reconstituted human skin and hairless rat skinD Monti
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry and Biopharmaceutics, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Skin Pharmacol Physiol 21:318-25. 2008..Since the physicochemical characteristics of RE are closer to those of human skin, the results obtained with reconstructed human skin models could be suitable to replace human skin in 'in vitro testing'...
- The effects of systemic alendronate with or without intraalveolar collagen sponges on postextractive bone resorption: a single masked randomized clinical trialFilippo Graziani
Department of Surgery, Section of Oral Surgery, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Craniofac Surg 19:1061-6. 2008..Systemically given alendronate may be used successfully to reduce vertical bone resorption after wisdom tooth extraction...
- Thyroid incidentalomasAldo Pinchera
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Horm Res 68:199-201. 2007....
- Effect of cyclosporine A on bone density in female rheumatoid arthritis patients: results from a multicenter, cross-sectional studyM Mazzantini
Rheumatology Units of the University of Pisa, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 25:709-15. 2007..To analyze the influence of cyclosporine A (CYA) on bone using data from a large multicenter, cross-sectional study on bone mineral density (BMD) in rheumatoid arthritis (RA)...
- Therapeutic implications of recent megatrials: in favor of old drugsAntonio Salvetti
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa Italy
J Nephrol 20:S4-S11. 2007....
- Gas chromatographic-mass spectrometric characterisation of plant gums in samples from painted works of artIlaria Bonaduce
Dipartimento di Chimica e Chimica Industriale, Universita di Pisa, Via Risorgimento 35, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Chromatogr A 1175:275-82. 2007..The presence of carbohydrates was ascertained and plant gum binders (fruit and a mixture of tragacanth and fruit tree gums) were identified in some of the samples...
- The role of pharmacogenetics in adjuvant treatment of non-small cell lung cancerRomano Danesi
Division of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Thorac Oncol 2:S27-30. 2007..Other intriguing issues will be the identification of the optimal drug sequence in combination regimens, as well as polymorphisms of genes involved in severe toxicities...
- Solitary hilar biliary adenoma: MR imaging and MR cholangiography features with pathologic correlationP Boraschi
2nd Department of Radiology, Pisa University Hospital, Via Paradisa 2, I 56124 Pisa, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 39:1031-4. 2007..We describe previously un-reported magnetic resonance imaging and magnetic resonance cholangiography features with endoscopic retrograde cholangiography and pathologic correlation of a solitary hilar biliary adenoma...
- Occurrence of Leishmania DNA in urines of dogs naturally infected with leishmaniasisA Franceschi
Dipartimento di Patologia Animale, Profilassi ed Igiene degli Alimenti, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Vet Res Commun 31:335-41. 2007
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of Staphylococcus intermedius and Staphylococcus schleiferi isolated from dogsM Vanni
Department of Veterinary Clinics, University of Pisa, Viale delle Piagge 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
Res Vet Sci 87:192-5. 2009..intermedius emphasize the importance of antimicrobial susceptibility testing of canine staphylococci to choose the most appropriate treatment of infections and to allow the prudent use of antimicrobial drugs in companion animals...
- Equine lumican (LUM) cDNA sequence and spatio-temporal expression in an experimental model of normal and pathological wound healingVincenzo Miragliotta
Département de Biomédecine Vétérinaire, Faculte de Medecine Veterinaire, Universite de Montreal, C P 5000, St Hyacinthe, Quebec, Canada J2S 7C6
Vet Dermatol 20:243-8. 2009..Further studies are now required to verify and quantify the temporal expression of this protein to provide the basis for targeted therapies that might prevent the development of exuberant granulation tissue in horse wound repair...
- Multidetector CT in the evaluation of retroperitoneal fat tissue infiltration in ductal adenocarcinoma of the pancreatic head: correlation with histopathological findingsSalvatore Mazzeo
Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, University of Pisa, Via Roma, 67, Pisa, PI 56123, Italy
Abdom Imaging 35:465-70. 2010..Neoplastic infiltration of the retroportal fat tissue is a critical parameter in tumor staging and in surgical planning because it frequently represents a site of persistence and recurrence of disease...
- Seasonal prevalence of fungi in the conjunctival fornix of healthy cows during a 2-year studyMicaela Sgorbini
Department of Veterinary Clinic, 56010 San Piero a Grado, Pisa, Italy
Vet Ophthalmol 13:227-34. 2010....
- Beyond "postpartum depressions": specific anxiety diagnoses during pregnancy predict different outcomes: results from PND-ReScUMauro Mauri
Department of Psychiatry, Neurobiology, Pharmacology and Biotechnology, School of Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Affect Disord 127:177-84. 2010..Furthermore, the EPDS does not distinguish between depression and anxiety. This study describes different definitions of PPD and whether pregnancy anxiety disorders are risk factors for different PPDs at both 1month and 1year postpartum...
- Which strategy for molecular probe design? An answer from the integration of spectroscopy and QM modelingAlberto Marini
Dipartimento di Chimica e Chimica Industriale, Via Risorgimento 35, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Phys Chem Chem Phys 12:8999-9010. 2010..Finally, the integration of simulated and experimental emission spectra has revealed a possible isomerization in the excited state with resulting change of the conformational state in the absorbing and the emitting species...
- On the chiroptical behavior of conjugated multichromophoric compounds of a new pseudoaromatic class: bicolchicides and biisocolchicidesTiziana Funaioli
Dipartimento di Chimica e Chimica Industriale, Universita di Pisa, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 5:e10617. 2010....
- Coordination between plant and apex development in Hordeum vulgare ssp. distichumIduna Arduini
Dipartimento di Agronomia e Gestione dell Agroecosistema, Universita di Pisa, Via San Michele degli Scalzi, 2, 56124 Pisa, Italy
C R Biol 333:454-60. 2010..The first spikelet was initiated when the third leaf tip became visible, and the last one when plants were at the pseudo stem erection stage and five leaves had still to appear...
- TEMPS-A[p] temperament profile related to professional choice: A study in 1548 applicants to become a cadet officer in the Italian air forceIcro Maremmani
Department of Psychiatry, University of Pisa, 67 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Affect Disord 124:314-8. 2010..Thus, depressive traits seem to increase sensitivity to suffering, cyclothymic traits appear relevant to creativity, and hyperthymic traits have been implicated in territoriality and leadership and more generally in active pursuits...
- Total duodenectomy with enteric duct drainage: a rescue operation for duodenal complications occurring after pancreas transplantationU Boggi
Divisione di Chirurgia Generale e Trapianti nell Uremico e nel Diabetico, Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy
Am J Transplant 10:692-7. 2010..The two cases presented herein show that when DGC jeopardize pancreas function or recipient safety, total duodenectomy with enteric duct drainage may become an option...
- A naturalistic exploratory study of the impact of demographic, phenotypic and comorbid features in pediatric obsessive-compulsive disorderGabriele Masi
IRCCS Stella Maris, Scientific Institute of Child Neurology and Psychiatry, Calambrone, Italy
Psychopathology 43:69-78. 2010..In this naturalistic study we consider these characteristics of OCD in the framework of the 4 OCD phenotypes (contamination/cleaning, order/symmetry, obsessions/checking and hoarding) proposed by Leckman et al...
- Multimodality treatment of malignant pleural mesothelioma with or without immunotherapy: does it change anything?Marco Lucchi
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiac and Thoracic, Centro Polidisciplinare per la Ricerca, la Prevenzione, la Diagnosi e il Trattamento del Mesotelioma Pleurico Maligno e delle altre Neoplasie Amianto Correlate, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Italy
Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 10:572-6. 2010..Changes in MPM microenvironment induced by immunotherapy may play a major role in the local control of this disease and need further investigations...
- Early left ventricular mechanics abnormalities in prehypertension: a two-dimensional strain echocardiography studyVitantonio Di Bello
Cardiac and Thoracic and Vascular Department, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Am J Hypertens 23:405-12. 2010....
- The BCG1619c gene is not essential for invasion and intracellular persistence of Mycobacterium bovis BCG in human THP-1 and A549 cell linesWalter Florio
Dipartimento di Patologia Sperimentale, Universita di Pisa, Italy
Can J Microbiol 55:975-82. 2009..No significant difference between the mutated and the parental BCG strain was observed in either of these in vitro infection systems, indicating that the BCG1619c gene is not essential for cell invasion and intracellular growth of BCG...
- Hydrosoluble medicated nail lacquers: in vitro drug permeation and corresponding antimycotic activityD Monti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Pisa, Via Bonanno 33, I 56100 Pisa, Italy
Br J Dermatol 162:311-7. 2010..The present study aimed at evaluating the antimycotic activity of a new water-soluble nail lacquer containing CPX (CPX/sol), easily removable by washing with water and applicable to periungual skin...
- Glucocorticoids are preferable to thionamides as first-line treatment for amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis due to destructive thyroiditis: a matched retrospective cohort studyFausto Bogazzi
Department of Endocrinology and Metabolism, University of Pisa, 56124 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 94:3757-62. 2009..Type 2 amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis (AIT) is a destructive thyroiditis usually responsive to glucocorticoids; however, recent surveys showed that many expert thyroidologists worldwide use thionamides for type 2 AIT patients...
- Biologic effects of radiofrequency thermal ablation on non-small cell lung cancer: results of a pilot studyMarcello Carlo Ambrogi
Thoracic Surgery, Cardiac and Thoracic Department, Pisa, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 131:1002-6. 2006....
- Extracorporeal repair and liver autotransplantation after total avulsion of hepatic veins and retrohepatic inferior vena cava injury secondary to blunt abdominal traumaUgo Boggi
Divisione di Chirurgia Generale e Trapianti, Universita di Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Trauma 60:405-6. 2006
- Novel non-transcriptional mechanisms for estrogen receptor signaling in the cardiovascular system. Interaction of estrogen receptor alpha with phosphatidylinositol 3-OH kinaseTommaso Simoncini
Division of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Pisa, Via Roma, 67, 56100, Pisa, Italy
Steroids 67:935-9. 2002..This original non-transcriptional mechanism for ER signaling may play an important role in the generation of some of the rapid 'non-genomic' effects of estrogen...
- The skeletal biology of two Italian peninsular Magna Graecia necropoles, Timmari and MontescagliosoD Marchi
Unità di Antropologia, Dipt Etologia, Ecologia, Evoluzione, Universita degli Studi di Pisa, Via S Maria 55, I 56126 Pisa
Homo 53:59-78. 2002..A high level of muscular activity was observed in males and females, with males clearly more mobile than females. Sexual dimorphism and limb bone lateralisation were marked. Health conditions and nutritional status were good...
- Gemcitabine, ifosfamide and Navelbine (GIN): a platinum-free combination in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC)Editta Baldini
U O Oncologia Medica Ospedale S Chiara, Via Roma n 67, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 49:S25-8. 2002..To evaluate the activity and toxicity of gemcitabine, ifosfamide and Navelbine (GIN) in advanced NSCLC...
- Social anxiety spectrum: gender differences in Italian high school studentsLiliana Dell'Osso
Department of Psychiatry, Neurobiology, Pharmacology, and Biotechnologies, University of Pisa, Italy
J Nerv Ment Dis 190:225-32. 2002..The correlation between social anxiety spectrum and other psychopathological features mirrors previous findings concerning the high comorbidity of axis-I social anxiety disorder...
- In vitro evaluation of a system for pH-controlled peroral delivery of metforminG Di Colo
Department of Bioorganic Chemistry and Biopharmaceutics, University of Pisa, Via Bonanno 33, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Control Release 80:119-28. 2002..This mode of administration might allow the use of lower therapeutic doses compared to existing immediate- or sustained-release products, thus minimising side effects...
- Tissue harmonic and contrast-specific imaging: back to gray scale in ultrasoundRiccardo Lencioni
Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Department of Oncology, Transplants, and Advanced Technologies in Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Eur Radiol 12:151-65. 2002..It is foreseen that the new gray-scale US techniques will rapidly become a tool in numerous clinical scenarios...
- Current management of fallopian tube carcinomaAngiolo Gadducci
Department of Procreative Medicine, Division of Gynecology and Obstetrics, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol 14:27-32. 2002..Second-line treatment for persistent/recurrent disease should be mainly based on the platinum-free interval, whereas secondary cytoreduction should be considered only for highly selected patients with localized, late relapse...
- 131I therapy for differentiated thyroid cancer leads to an earlier onset of menopause: results of a retrospective studyC Ceccarelli
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, 56122 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:3512-5. 2001..Conceivably, the ovarian irradiation by 131I might contribute to the process of the follicular atresia, thus inducing earlier menopause...
- Two flavonoids and other compounds from the aerial parts of Centaurea bracteata from ItalyG Flamini
Dipartimento di Chimica Bioorganica e Biofarmacia, Universita degli Studi di Pisa, Italy
Phytochemistry 57:559-64. 2001..Structural elucidation was performed mainly by mean of FABMS, 1D and 2D NMR spectroscopy...
- Synthesis and dopaminergic properties of the two enantiomers of 3-(3,4-dimethylphenyl)-1-propylpiperidine, a potent and selective dopamine D4 receptor ligandB Macchia
Dipartimento di Scienze Farmaceutiche, Universita di Pisa, Italy
Bioorg Med Chem Lett 11:223-6. 2001..Furthermore, the (R)-1 enantiomer proved to be highly selective for D4 receptors with respect to D2-D3 receptors, with a Ki ratio higher than 25,000, while the (S)-1 enantiomer was about 100-fold less selective than the (R)-1 one...
- Molecular properties, biology, and clinical implications of TT virus, a recently identified widespread infectious agent of humansM Bendinelli
Virology Section, Department of Biomedicine and Retrovirus Center, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Clin Microbiol Rev 14:98-113. 2001..The virus has not yet been etiologically linked to any other human disease. Thus, TTV should be considered an orphan virus...
- Gastropleural fistula as complication of postpneumonectomy empyemaA Mussi
Department of Cardiothoracic Surgery, University of Pisa, Italy
J Cardiovasc Surg (Torino) 41:147-9. 2000..Three months after discharge the patient noticed the presence of ingesta in the pleural washing fluid. Diagnostic and operative procedures in this rare case of non malignant, non traumatic gastropleural fistula are described...
- Dysthymic disorder in adolescents with intellectual disabilityG Masi
Division of Child Neurology and Psychiatry, University of Pisa Italy IRCCS Stella Maris, Calambrone
J Intellect Disabil Res 43:80-7. 1999..The K-SADS clinical interview seems to be a reliable instrument for the diagnosis and clinical definition of depressive symptomatology in this special population...
- Thrombocytopenic purpura: an unusual complication of eradication therapy for Helicobacter pyloriS Marchi
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
Dig Liver Dis 34:665-7. 2002..It is tempting to suggest that an immunological mechanism and splenomegaly were also involved...
- Angiogenesis in human normal and pathologic adrenal cortexG P Bernini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:4961-5. 2002..The lack of VEGF expression in NFA and the close association between angiogenesis and functional status in APA also suggest a possible influence of the angiogenic phenotype on hormonal secretion of these endocrine tumors...
- Effect of heparan sulphate on kidney tissue expression of TGF-beta, rhoA, laminin and fibronectin in subtotally nephrectomized ratsNunzia Bernardini
Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology, Histology Section, University of Pisa, Italy
J Nephrol 15:530-8. 2002....
- Thyroid function differently affects serum cystatin C and creatinine concentrationsL Manetti
Department of Endocrinology, University of Pisa, Ospedale di Cisanello, Italy
J Endocrinol Invest 28:346-9. 2005..However, the observation that hyper- or hypothyroid patients have normal serum Cys C levels limits its use as a marker of peripheral thyroid hormone effect...
- A critical appraisal of the literature on local ablative therapies for hepatocellular carcinomaRiccardo Lencioni
Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Department of Oncology, Transplants, and Advanced Technologies in Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, Pisa I 56125, Italy
Clin Liver Dis 9:301-14, viii. 2005..Further randomized trials are needed to establish the clinical efficacy of radiofrequency ablation with respect to other percutaneous treatments and to devise an unbiased therapeutic strategy...
- Parkinson-like syndrome induced by continuous MPTP infusion: convergent roles of the ubiquitin-proteasome system and alpha-synucleinFrancesco Fornai
Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology, University of Pisa, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 102:3413-8. 2005..These data suggest that continuous low-level exposure of mice to MPTP causes a Parkinson-like syndrome in an alpha-synuclein-dependent manner...
- Early-stage hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with cirrhosis: long-term results of percutaneous image-guided radiofrequency ablationRiccardo Lencioni
Division of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Department of Oncology, Transplants and Advanced Technologies in Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, I 56125 Pisa, Italy
Radiology 234:961-7. 2005....
- Similarities between methamphetamine toxicity and proteasome inhibitionF Fornai
Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1025:162-70. 2004..Moreover, using a multifaceted pharmacological approach, we could demonstrate the need for endogenous DA in order to form neuronal inclusions...
- LEGO bricks used as chemotactic chambers: evaluation by a computer-assisted image analysis techniqueA Azzara
Unit of Haematology, Department of Oncology, Transplants and Advanced Technologies in Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Scand J Clin Lab Invest 64:579-87. 2004..LEGO bricks are inexpensive, fast and suitable for current diagnostic activity or for research investigations in every laboratory...
- Innovative tissue engineering structures through advanced manufacturing technologiesGianluca Ciardelli
Department of Chemical Engineering, Industrial Chemistry and Materials Science, University of Pisa, Via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Mater Sci Mater Med 15:305-10. 2004..The two RP methods allow the fabrication of 3-D scaffolds with a controlled architecture, providing a powerful means to study cell response to an environment similar to that found..
- Massive pneumoencephalus of late onset after an en bloc resection for lung cancerMarco Lucchi
Division of Thoracic Surgery, Department of Cardiac and Thoracic Surgery, University of Pisa, Italy
J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 127:1836-8. 2004
- [Differentiation and development of genitalia in the fetus and the neonate]A Boldrini
Divisione di Neonatologia, Dipartimento di Medicina della Procreazione e dell Età Evolutiva, Universita degli Studi, Ospedale S Chiara, Via Roma, 57, 56125 Pisa
Minerva Pediatr 55:9-10. 2003
- Guidelines for antihypertensive treatment: an update after the ALLHAT studyAntonio Salvetti
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
J Am Soc Nephrol 15:S51-4. 2004....
- Angelman syndrome: etiology, clinical features, diagnosis, and management of symptomsRenzo Guerrini
Epilepsy, Neurophysiology, and Neurogenetics Unit, Institute of Child Neurology and Psychiatry, University of Pisa and IRCCS Fondazione Stella Maris, Pisa, Italy
Paediatr Drugs 5:647-61. 2003..Where these treatment strategies are applied, individuals with AS may reach an appreciable level of integration, self care, and have a normal life span...
- Systemic antimicrobial therapies for pressure ulcersMarco Romanelli
Department of Dermatology, Azienda Ospedaliera Pisana and University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Ostomy Wound Manage 49:25-9. 2003
- The "Braids Lady" of Arezzo: a case of rheumatoid arthritis in a 16th century mummyR Ciranni
Department of Oncology, Division of Pathology, Section of Paleopathology, University of Pisa, via Roma no 57, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Clin Exp Rheumatol 20:745-52. 2002..To diagnose a probable case of rheumatoid arthritis in a mummified female body from the 16th century and to backdate the first clinical diagnosis, entering the diatribe regarding the ancientness of the disease...
- Noradrenergic modulation of methamphetamine-induced striatal dopamine depletionF Fornai
Institute of Pharmacology, School of Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 844:166-77. 1998..By contrast, exacerbation of methamphetamine toxicity in NE-depleted animals was accompanied by increased extracellular DA levels measured with brain dialysis and by a more severe acute DA depletion measured in striatal homogenates...
- Conference on the Biology of AgingEttore Bergamini; Fiscal Year: 2005....