Genomes and Genes
University of Padova
Organization: University of Padova
- Phosphodiesterase-5 inhibitor tadalafil acts on endothelial progenitor cells by CXCR4 signallingCarlo Foresta
Department of Histology, Microbiology and Medical Biotechnologies, Centre for Male Gamete Cryopreservation, University of Padova, Italy
Curr Drug Deliv 7:274-82. 2010..We thus demonstrated that PDE5 inhibition acts on CXCR4 signalling in EPC and we can suppose an involvement of cGMP second messenger system in both EPC release from the bone marrow and EPC-mediated peripheral re-endothelization...
- The role of autophagy in neonatal tissues: just a response to amino acid starvation?Stefano Schiaffino
Venetian Institute of Molecular Medicine VIMM, Department of Biomedical Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Autophagy 4:727-30. 2008..However, autophagy may have other important functions in neonatal physiology, including glycogen degradation, programmed cell remodeling and response to oxidative stress...
- Endocannabinoids, sperm functions and energy metabolismMarco Rossato
Endocrine Metabolic Laboratory, Clinica Medica 3, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Via Ospedale 105, University of Padova, 35128 Padova, Italy
Mol Cell Endocrinol 286:S31-5. 2008....
- Improved survival for children with parameningeal rhabdomyosarcoma: results from the AIEOP soft tissue sarcoma committeeGianni Bisogno
Division of Hematology Oncology, Department of Pediatrics, University Hospital of Padova, Padova, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 50:1154-8. 2008..Parameningeal rhabdomyosarcoma (PM-RMS) is a rare, highly malignant pediatric tumor arising from locations adjacent to the meninges, from where it can spread intracranially...
- The concept of quality of life in organ transplantationP Burra
Gastroenterology Section, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, Padua University, and Gastroenterology Unit, Feltre, Italy
Transplant Proc 39:2285-7. 2007....
- Non-cardiovascular mortality, low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and statins: a meta-regression analysisRenato Razzolini
Department of Cardiology, University of Padova Medical School, Padova, Italy
Cardiology 109:110-6. 2008..We performed a meta-regression analysis on randomized statin trials in order to provide evidence that non-cardiovascular mortality is related to statin treatment and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol plasma level...
- High risk of malignancy in patients with incidentally discovered adrenal masses: accuracy of adrenal imaging and image-guided fine-needle aspiration cytologyFranco Lumachi
Endocrine Surgery Unit, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Padova, Italy
Tumori 93:269-74. 2007....
- An in vitro study on metabolism of 17beta-boldenone and boldione using cattle liver and kidney subcellular fractionsR Merlanti
Department of Public Health, Comparative Pathology and Veterinary Hygiene, University of Padua, 35020 Legnaro PD, Italy
Anal Chim Acta 586:177-83. 2007..The results indicated that the urinary excretion profile in vivo of 6beta-hydroxy-17beta-BOLD and 16alpha-hydroxy-17beta-BOLD could be studied together with 17alpha- and 17beta-BOLD as putative markers of BOLD treatment in cattle...
- Cervical phIGFBP-1 in the evaluation of the risk of preterm deliveryDelia Maria Paternoster
Department of Gynecological Science and Human Reproduction, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 86:151-5. 2007..To evaluate the accuracy of the decidual phosphorylated isoform of insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 in endocervical secretions to predict premature delivery in symptomatic and asymptomatic pregnant women...
- Ultrasound biomicroscopy in traumatic aniridia 2 years after phacoemulsificationDaniele Doro
Department of Neurosciences Ophthalmology, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
J Cataract Refract Surg 32:1753-5. 2006..A UBM examination may be clinically helpful, especially when blood prevents accurate slitlamp examination of the anterior segment...
- Time course of alterations after olfactory bulbectomy in miceCarla Mucignat-Caretta
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, University of Padova, Via Marzolo 3, I 35131 Padova, Italy
Physiol Behav 89:637-43. 2006..These results suggest a base for the time-course of appearance of behavioral symptoms in BX mice...
- Photodynamic therapy of microbial infections: state of the art and perspectivesGiulio Jori
Department of Biology, University of Padova, Via Ugo Bassi 58B, 35121 Padova, Italy
J Environ Pathol Toxicol Oncol 25:505-19. 2006..At present, antimicrobial PDT appears to be especially convenient for the treatment of localized infections, such as oral candidosis, periodontitis or chronic wounds...
- Social aggregation and lateralised response to social stimuli in tadpoles (Bufo bufo): influence of developmental stageMarco Dadda
Department of General Psychology, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Laterality 10:345-52. 2005..No marked change with development was observed, yet the degree of laterality tended to decrease with age and tadpoles of intermediate age showed left-hemifield dominance during the test significantly earlier than the other two groups...
- Tracheal matrices, obtained by a detergent-enzymatic method, support in vitro the adhesion of chondrocytes and tracheal epithelial cellsMaria Teresa Conconi
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Transpl Int 18:727-34. 2005..In summary, our results indicate that the detergent-enzymatic method allows us to obtain tracheal matrices which can function as a promising support to achieve an in vitro tissue-engineered cell-matrix construct...
- Effects of surfactant characteristics on drug availability from suppositoriesN Realdon
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padova, Italy
Pharmazie 63:459-63. 2008..Such interactions appear to greatly influence drug release from suppositories, which, in turn, is the main parameter determining drug availability...
- Genetic and environmental factors affecting allergen-related gene expression in apple fruit (Malus domestica L. Borkh)Alessandro Botton
Department of Environmental Agronomy and Crop Science, University of Padova, Agripolis Viale dell Universita 16, 35020 Legnaro Padova, Italy Italy
J Agric Food Chem 56:6707-16. 2008..Moreover, elevation and storage may be combined to reduce the allergenic potential of apple fruits. The possible implications of the results for breeders, growers, and consumers are discussed critically...
- Allergy and the eyeA Leonardi
Ophthalmology Unit, Department of Neuroscience, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Clin Exp Immunol 153:17-21. 2008..None of these agents lacks side effects and none abolishes signs and symptoms completely. New therapeutic strategies are still needed to respond to the complex pathogenesis of severe forms of ocular allergy such as VKC and AKC...
- Nitric oxide synthesis is reduced in subjects with type 2 diabetes and nephropathyPaolo Tessari
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Metabolism Division, University of Padova, Italy
Diabetes 59:2152-9. 2010..However, whether the decreased NOx excretion in type 2 diabetes is caused by a defective NOx production from arginine in response to hyperinsulinemia has never been studied...
- New horizons in osteoarthritisF Oliviero
Department of Clinical and Experimental Rheumatology, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani, Padova, IT
Swiss Med Wkly 140:w13098. 2010..Numerous new substances have been formulated and the findings of trials studying their effects are encouraging, although much has yet to be done...
- Congenital heart disease in adults: an 8-year surgical experience in a medium-volume cardiac centerMassimo A Padalino
Pediatric and Congenital Cardiac Surgery Unit, University of Padua Medical School, Padua, Italy
J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown) 11:175-81. 2010..We report our 8-year experience with surgery for congenital heart disease in adults in a medium-volume surgical center...
- Physiological values and factors affecting the metacarpal bone density of healthy feedlot beef cattle as measured by dual-energy X-ray absorptiometryA Zotti
Department of Veterinary Clinical Sciences, Radiology Unit, University of Padua, Viale dell Universita, Legnaro Padua, Italy
J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl) 94:615-22. 2010..A modern new technological insight into the study of bovine bone physio-pathology is proposed...
- Angiotensin II signaling via type 2 receptors in a human model of vascular hyporeactivity: implications for hypertensionLorenzo A Calo
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Clinica Medica 4, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Hypertens 28:111-8. 2010....
- Phosphorylated insulin-like growth factor binding protein-1 in cervical secretions and sonographic cervical length in the prediction of spontaneous preterm deliveryD Paternoster
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Novara, Novara, Italy
Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol 34:437-40. 2009....
- Hepatic expression of endocannabinoid receptors and their novel polymorphisms in primary biliary cirrhosisAnnarosa Floreani
Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
J Gastroenterol 45:68-76. 2010..The endocannabinoid system (EC) has emerged as a crucial mediator in a variety of pathophysiological conditions...
- Presurgical (99m)Tc-sestamibi brain SPET/CT versus SPET: a comparison with MRI and histological data in 33 patients with brain tumoursDiego Cecchin
Department of Diagnostic Medical Sciences, Nuclear Medicine Service, IOV IRCCS, Italy
Nucl Med Commun 30:660-8. 2009..The purpose of this study was to investigate the real usefulness of (99m)Tc-sestamibi SPET/computed tomography (CT) and to establish a semiquantitative index...
- Validation of the Parent Health Locus of Control Scales in an Italian sampleSabrina Bonichini
Department of Developmental Psychology and Socialization, University of Padua, 35131, Padova, Italy
Ital J Pediatr 35:13. 2009..abstract:..
- A prospective, non-randomized trial comparing robot-assisted laparoscopic and retropubic radical prostatectomy in one European institutionVincenzo Ficarra
Department of Oncological and Surgical Sciences, Urology Clinic, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
BJU Int 104:534-9. 2009..To compare the functional results of two contemporary series of patients with clinically localized prostate cancer treated by robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy (RALP) or retropubic radical prostatectomy (RRP)...
- Neurolupus is associated with anti-ribosomal P protein antibodies: an inception cohort studyC Briani
Department of Neurosciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
J Autoimmun 32:79-84. 2009..Our aim was to assess whether serum IgG Abs to ribosomal P proteins are associated with neuropsychiatric SLE...
- Structural and mutational analyses of protein-protein interactions between transthyretin and retinol-binding proteinGiuseppe Zanotti
Department of Chemical Sciences and Institute of Biomolecular Chemistry CNR, University of Padua, Italy
FEBS J 275:5841-54. 2008....
- Topical tacrolimus in the treatment of lichen planus in a childAnna Belloni Fortina
Department of Pediatrics, University of Padua, Pediatric Dermatology Unit, Padova, Italy
Pediatr Dermatol 25:570-1. 2008..We report the case of a child with cutaneous lichen planus who did not respond to topical steroids but showed complete resolution once switched to 0.03% tacrolimus ointment...
- Epidemiology of diabetes in pregnancy: a review of Italian dataA Lapolla
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Diabetes Nutr Metab 17:358-67. 2004..This article reviews the existing epidemiologic studies on diabetes in pregnancy performed in Italy...
- Mono- or di-fluorinated analogues of flavone-8-acetic acid: synthesis and in vitro biological activityMaria Carrara
Department of Pharmacology and Anaesthesiology, University of Padova, Largo Meneghetti 2, 35131 Padova, Italy
Anticancer Res 25:1179-85. 2005..The most active compound resulted the one bearing a fluorine atom in position 7 of the flavone nucleus. In this paper, we evaluated new mono- or di-fluorinated FAA derivatives...
- Absolute configuration of 2-sec-butyl-4,5-dihydrothiazole in male mouse urineAndrea Cavaggioni
Dipartimento di Anatomia e Fisiologia Umana, Universita di Padova, 35100 Padova, Italy
Chem Senses 28:791-7. 2003..Unlike (S)-DHT, (R)-DHT prompted countermarking rather than delaying it. We can further conclude that (S)-DHT in male mouse urine is an aversive chemosignal for countermarking...
- The metalloproteolytic activity of the anthrax lethal factor is substrate-inhibitedFiorella Tonello
Istituto di Neuroscienze, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Via G Colombo 3, 35121 Padova, Italy
J Biol Chem 278:40075-8. 2003..LF undergoes substrate inhibition, in keeping with the non-productive binding geometry of the MAPPK-2 N terminus to LF...
- Risk of recurrent venous thromboembolism and thrombophilia: does discrepancy make complexity or vice versa?P Simioni
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, University of Padua Medical School, Padua, Italy
J Thromb Haemost 1:16-8. 2003
- Temporal bone and sinonasal inverted papilloma: the same pathological entity?Stella Blandamura
Department of Pathology, Head and Neck Surgery, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 129:553-6. 2003..Reports in the literature suggest a higher recurrence rate and association with squamous cell carcinoma in Schneiderian-type papillomas of the middle ear than in sinonasal Schneiderian-type papillomas...
- Surgical treatment of complex cardiac anomalies: the 'one and one half ventricle repair'G Stellin
Department of Cardiovascular Surgery, University of Padova Medical School, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 22:431-6; discussion 436-7. 2002..One and one half ventricle repair is a surgical option for congenital cardiac anomalies characterised by right ventricle (RV) hypoplasia and/or dysplasia...
- Aldosterone-adrenomedullin: a new feedback regulation in blood vessels?Francesco Fallo
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Division of Endocrinology, University of Padova, Italy
J Hypertens 20:1081-2. 2002
- Circulating soluble-CD30 (sCD30) in patients with HCV-related chronic hepatitis and in patients with alcoholic liver diseaseFranca De Lazzari
Gastroenterology Unit, Department of Surgery and Gastroenterological Science, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128 Padova, Italy
Hepatogastroenterology 49:231-4. 2002..The aims were: 1) to evaluate sCD30 levels in patients with (a) alcoholic liver diseases and (b) HCV-related chronic hepatitis before and after interferon treatment; 2) to correlate sCD30 concentrations with IgE and IgA serum levels...
- Detection and potential indicators of the presence of hepatitis C virus on surfaces in hospital settingsAnnalaura Carducci
Department of Experimental Pathology, Medical Biotechnologies, Infectious Diseases and Epidemiology, University of Pisa, Italy
Lett Appl Microbiol 34:189-93. 2002....
- A multicenter, randomized double-blind study of valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide combination versus amlodipine in patients with mild to moderate hypertensionP Palatini
Dipartimento di Medicina Clinica e Sperimentale, Universita di Padova, Padova, Italy
J Hypertens 19:1691-6. 2001..To compare the antihypertensive efficacy and tolerability of a once-daily fixed valsartan/hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ) combination and amlodipine in subjects with mild-to-moderate hypertension...
- Renal involvement in subjects with peripheral atherosclerosisB Baggio
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, CNR Center on Aging, University Hospital, Padua, Italy
J Nephrol 14:286-92. 2001..Ischemic nephropathy is an important cause of renal failure in western countries. Subclinical renal function abnormalities may exist in patients with extrarenal atherosclerosis, and may precede the onset of overt ischemic nephropathy...
- Polyphosphazene microspheres for insulin deliveryP Caliceti
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padua, Via F Marzolo, 5, 35131, Padova, Italy
Int J Pharm 211:57-65. 2000..Finally all preparations stimulated anti-insulin antibody production that constantly increased over a period of 8 weeks...
- Early detection of melanoma: an educational campaign in Padova, ItalyC R Rossi
Clinica Chirurgica II, Universita di Padova, Italy
Melanoma Res 10:181-7. 2000..0 mm versus 1.50 mm; P < 0.02)...
- Solitary tract nuclei in acute heart failureR De Caro
Department of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Section of Anatomy, Padova, Italy
Stroke 31:1187-93. 2000..We report selective bilateral lesions of the solitary tract nuclei in 5 adults with short survival intervals after acute heart failure...
- Alzheimer's disease: pathophysiological implications of measurement of plasma cortisol, plasma dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate, and lymphocytic corticosteroid receptorsDecio Armanini
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences Endocrinology, University of Padua, Via Ospedale 105, 35100 Padua, Italy
Endocrine 22:113-8. 2003..These data support the hypothesis of a dysregulation of the adrenal pituitary axis in Alzheimer's disease, which is probably the consequence of damage to target tissues by corticosteroids...
- Wolfram syndromeDavid Megighian
Dipartimento di Specialità Medico Chirurgiche, Sezione ORL, Padua University, Via Giustiniani 2, 35128, Padua, Italy
Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol 68:243-7. 2004..Other signs such as the progressive sensorineural hearing loss, the presence of nystagmus and of urodynamic disturbances and renal complications makes the diagnosis of this syndrome easier...
- Primary aldosteronism: a needle in a haystack or a yellow cab on Fifth Avenue?Gian Paolo Rossi
DMCS Clinica Medica 4, University Hospital, Via Giustiniani 2, 35126 Padua, Italy
Curr Hypertens Rep 6:1-4. 2004
- Urokinase plasminogen activator, uPa receptor, and its inhibitor in vernal keratoconjunctivitisAndrea Leonardi
Department of Neuroscience, Ophthalmology Unit, University of Padua, Padua, Italy
Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci 46:1364-70. 2005..The serine protease urokinase (uPA) is a potent chemoattractant for leukocytes that may be involved in the pathogenesis of severe forms of allergic conjunctivitis such as vernal keratoconjunctivitis (VKC)...
- Up-to-date on parathyroid carcinoma: analysis of an experience of 19 casesMaurizio Iacobone
Endocrine Surgery Unit, Department of Surgical and Gastroenterological Sciences, University of Padua, School of Medicine, Padova, Italy
J Surg Oncol 88:223-8. 2004..Parathyroid carcinoma (PC) is a rare disease; experience with its management is limited. The aim of this retrospective study was to evaluate a relatively large series of patients suffering from PC...
- Reading comprehension and understanding idiomatic expressions: a developmental studyMaria Chiara Levorato
Dipartimento di Psicologia dello Sviluppo e della Socializzazione, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Brain Lang 91:303-14. 2004..The results of Experiment 3 showed that children whose general comprehension skills improved their performance on an idiom comprehension test...
- [Scientific medicine and alternative medicine: the problem of the separation line]Giovanni Federspil
Clinica Medica 3, Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Universita degli Studi di Padova
Ann Ital Med Int 19:198-204. 2004
- The quality of bone: a "magic natural alloy"Stefania Maggi
CNR Institute of Neuroscience, Center on Aging, Padova, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 16:3-9. 2004
- Long term use of oral contraceptives without thrombosis in patients with FV Leiden polymorphism: a study of 37 patients (2 homozygous and 35 heterozygous)A Girolami
University of Padua Medical School, Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Second Chair of Medicine, Padua, Italy
J Thromb Thrombolysis 17:145-9. 2004..Unfortunately so far there is no sure way to distinguish the women with this polymorphism who will develop venous thrombosis from those who will remain asymptomatic during oral contraceptive therapy...
- A placebo-controlled clinical trial of nadolol in the prophylaxis of growth of small esophageal varices in cirrhosisCarlo Merkel
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Padua, Padova, Italy
Gastroenterology 127:476-84. 2004..Beta-blockers are extensively used to prevent variceal bleeding in patients with large esophageal varices. It is not established if beta-blockers delay the growth of small varices...
- Long-term survival and prognostic factors in thymic epithelial tumoursFederico Rea
Thoracic Surgery, University of Padua, Via Giustiniani, 2, 35128 Padua, Italy
Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 26:412-8. 2004..The aim of this study is to analyze long-term survival and the prognostic significance of some factors after surgical resection of thymic epithelial tumours...
- Gramine: a vasorelaxing alkaloid acting on 5-HT(2A) receptorsGuglielmina Froldi
Department of Pharmacology and Anaesthesiology, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Planta Med 70:373-5. 2004..Also, the 5-HT concentration-effect curve shifted to the right in the presence of gramine, like ketanserin. These results suggest that gramine is a vasorelaxing agent acting mainly by antagonism at 5-HT (2A) receptors...
- Natural history of compensated viral cirrhosis: a prospective study on the incidence and hierarchy of major complicationsL Benvegnu
Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, Clinica Medica 5, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Gut 53:744-9. 2004..We have investigated morbidity and mortality rates and the hierarchy of complications in compensated viral cirrhosis over a long follow up period...
- Randomized controlled trial of botulinum toxin versus laparoscopic heller myotomy for esophageal achalasiaGiovanni Zaninotto
Department of Medical and Surgical Sciences, Clinica Chirurgica 4, University of Padova, Padova, Italy
Ann Surg 239:364-70. 2004..To compare laparoscopic cardia myotomy and fundoplication with botulinum toxin (BoTx) injection in patients with esophageal achalasia...
- Laryngeal mask airway in neonatal resuscitation: a survey of current practice and perceived role by anaesthesiologists and paediatriciansDaniele Trevisanuto
Department of Paediatrics, University of Padova, Via Giustiniani 3, 35158 Padova, Italy
Resuscitation 60:291-6. 2004..To survey current practice and to compare the opinion of paediatricians and anaesthesiologists regarding laryngeal mask airway (LMA) in neonatal resuscitation...
- Differential response of linear and angular psoralens in PUVA-induced apoptosis in HL-60 cellsGiampietro Viola
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences, University of Padua, Via Marzolo 5, 35131 Padua, Italy
Photochem Photobiol Sci 3:237-9. 2004..Treatment of cells with UVA radiation in combination with linear psoralens induces a cell-cycle block and subsequent apoptosis, whereas angular derivatives produce apoptosis without affecting the cellular cycle...
- Photothermal sensitization of amelanotic melanoma cells by Ni(II)-octabutoxy-naphthalocyanineA Busetti
Department of Biology, University of Padua, Italy
J Photochem Photobiol B 53:103-9. 1999..Photothermal sensitization with NiNc appears to open new perspectives for therapeutic applications, as suggested by preliminary in vivo studies with C57/BL6 mice bearing a subcutaneously implanted amelanotic melanoma...