Affiliation: Unit of Pneumology and Allergology
- Negative-pressure ventilation: is there still a role?A Corrado
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, Firenze, Italy
Eur Respir J 20:187-97. 2002..This review is divided into two parts: the first is concerned with the use of negative-pressure ventilation in the short term, and the second with its use in the long term...
- Iron lung versus conventional mechanical ventilation in acute exacerbation of COPDA Corrado
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Careggi Hospital, Firenze, Italy
Eur Respir J 23:419-24. 2004....
- Long-term oxygen therapy in COPD: evidences and open questions of current indicationsA Corrado
Terapia Intensiva Pneumologica, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi Firenze, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 73:34-43. 2010....
- Iron lung versus mask ventilation in acute exacerbation of COPD: a randomised crossover studyA Corrado
Unita di Terapia Intensiva Pneumologica e, Fisiopatologia Toracica, DAI, Specialità medico Chirurgiche, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Careggi, Padiglione San Luca, Via di S Luca 1, 50136, Florence, Italy
Intensive Care Med 35:648-55. 2009..To compare iron lung (ILV) versus mask ventilation (NPPV) in the treatment of COPD patients with acute on chronic respiratory failure (ACRF)...
- Iron lung vs mask ventilation in the treatment of acute on chronic respiratory failure in COPD patients: a multicenter studyAntonio Corrado
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera di Careggi Firenze, Florence, Italy
Chest 121:189-95. 2002..Evaluation of the effectiveness of negative-pressure ventilation (NPV) with the use of the iron lung vs noninvasive positive-pressure ventilation (NIPPV) in the treatment of COPD patients with acute on chronic respiratory failure...
- Long-term negative pressure ventilationAntonio Corrado
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, CTO, Careggi Hospital, Largo Palagi, 1 50135, Firenze, Italy
Respir Care Clin N Am 8:545-57, v-vi. 2002..There is no evidence, however, that long-term treatment with NPV can improve respiratory muscle function, exercise endurance, quality of life, and survival in patients with severe chronic obstructive pulmonary disease...
- Respiratory intermediate care units: a European surveyA Corrado
Unita di Terapia Intensiva Polmonare e Fisiopatologia Toracica, Azienda Ospedaliera di Careggi, CTO, Largo Palagi 1, 1 50136 Florence, Italy
Eur Respir J 20:1343-50. 2002
- Physiologic effects of negative pressure ventilation in acute exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseM Gorini
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Careggi Hospital, Florence, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 163:1614-8. 2001..We conclude that CNEP and NPV, provided by microprocessor-based iron lung, are able to improve ventilatory pattern and arterial blood gases, and to unload inspiratory muscles in patients with acute exacerbation of COPD...
- Telemonitoring in chronic ventilatory failure: a new model of survellaince, a pilot studyS Bertini
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit and Thoracic Physiopathology Laboratory, AOU Careggi, Florence, Italy
Monaldi Arch Chest Dis 77:57-66. 2012....
- Effect of assist negative pressure ventilation by microprocessor based iron lung on breathing effortM Gorini
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Careggi Hospital, Firenze, Italy
Thorax 57:258-62. 2002..This study was undertaken to evaluate the performance of a microprocessor based iron lung capable of thermistor triggering...
- Ventilatory and respiratory muscle responses to hypercapnia in patients with paraplegiaM Gorini
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, and Spinal Unit, Careggi Hospital, Firenze, Italy
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 162:203-8. 2000..This suggests that expiratory muscle paralysis elicits adaptation of the ventilatory control system similar to that observed in patients with generalized respiratory muscle weakness...
- Respiratory intensive care units in Italy: a national census and prospective cohort studyM Confalonieri
Unità Operativa di Pneumologia, Ospedali Riuniti di Trieste, Trieste, Italy
Thorax 56:373-8. 2001..Because of the lack of official epidemiological data in these units, a two phase study was performed with the aim of describing the work profile in Italian RICUs...
- Non-invasive negative and positive pressure ventilation in the treatment of acute on chronic respiratory failureMassimo Gorini
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Careggi Hospital CTO, Largo Palagi 1, 50134 Florence, Italy
Intensive Care Med 30:875-81. 2004..To investigate in clinical practice the role of non-invasive mechanical ventilation in the treatment of acute respiratory failure on chronic respiratory disorders...
- End-of-life decision-making in respiratory intermediate care units: a European surveyS Nava
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Fondazione S Maugeri, I R C C S, Istituto Scientifico di Pavia, Via Maugeri 10, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Eur Respir J 30:156-64. 2007..Withholding of treatment, do-not-intubate/do-not-resuscitate orders and noninvasive mechanical ventilation as the ventilatory care ceiling are the most common procedures. Competent patients are often involved, together with nurses...
- Bleeding and pneumonia in intensive care patients given ranitidine and sucralfate for prevention of stress ulcer: meta-analysis of randomised controlled trialsA Messori
Laboratorio SIFO di Farmacoeconomia, Centro Informazione Farmaci, Servizio Farmaceutico, Azienda Ospedaliera Careggi, 50134 Florence, Italy
BMJ 321:1103-6. 2000..To determine the effectiveness of ranitidine and sucralfate in the prevention of stress ulcer in critical patients and to assess if these treatments affect the risk of nosocomial pneumonia...
- Tracheostomy in patients with long-term mechanical ventilation: a surveySantino Marchese
Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, Terapia Intensiva Respiratoria, Ospedale Civico, ARNAS, Via C Lazzaro, Palermo, Italy
Respir Med 104:749-53. 2010..Tracheostomy is increasingly performed in intensive care units (ICU), with many patients transferred to respiratory ICU (RICU). Indications/timing for closing tracheostomy are discussed...
- Mechanical insufflation-exsufflation improves outcomes for neuromuscular disease patients with respiratory tract infectionsAndrea Vianello
Unità di Terapia Semi Intensiva Respiratoria, Azienda Ospedaliera di Padova, Padova, Italy
Am J Phys Med Rehabil 84:83-8; discussion 89-91. 2005....
- Costs of the COPD. Differences between intensive care unit and respiratory intermediate care unitGuido Bertolini
GiViTI Coordinating Centre, Istituto di Ricerche Farmacologiche Mario Negri Centro di Ricerche Cliniche per le Malattie Rare Aldo e Cele Daccò 24020 Ranica, Bergamo, Italy
Respir Med 99:894-900. 2005..To assess whether respiratory intermediate care units (RICUs) are cost effective alternatives to intensive care units (ICUs) for patients with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)...
- Prevalence and prognostic role of cardiovascular complications in patients with exacerbation of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease admitted to Italian respiratory intensive care unitsCleante Scarduelli
Pulmonary Division and Respiratory Intensive Care Unit, C Poma Hospital, Mantova, Italy
Ital Heart J 5:932-8. 2004....