- [The role of asbestos fibre dimensions in the pathogenesis and prevention of mesothelioma]Lorenzo Tomatis
International Society of Doctors for the Environment ISDE
Epidemiol Prev 30:289-94. 2006..In the authors' opinion the underlying assumptions are invalid...
- The role of asbestos fiber dimensions in the prevention of mesotheliomaLorenzo Tomatis
Int J Occup Environ Health 13:64-9. 2007....
- The role of primary preventionBenedetto Terracini
Centro per la Prevenzione Oncologica Piemonte, Via Santena 7, 10126 Torino
Epidemiol Prev 28:102-12. 2004
- Aetiological clues from the descriptive epidemiology of childhood acute lymphatic leukaemia and other malignanciesBenedetto Terracini
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Cancer Epidemiology Unit, CPO Piemonte, CeRMS, S Giovanni Hospital and University of Torino, Via Santena 7, 10126 Torino, Italy
J Epidemiol Community Health 61:180-1. 2007
- Epidemiology of childhood cancerBenedetto Terracini
Center for Cancer Prevention, University of Torino, San Giovanni Battista University Hospital, Italy
Environ Health 10:S8. 2011..However, access to the best therapy differs widely among countries because of the unequal distribution of resources for cancer care. Any double standard in the fate of children with cancer is ethically unacceptable...
- Additional features of the worldwide double standards in the prevention of asbestos-related diseasesBenedetto Terracini
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Oncologia Umana, Universita degli Studi, Turin, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 42:174-7. 2006..A handful of papers carried out in Brazil are briefly commented in order to highlight the difficulties that epidemiological investigations face in developing countries...
- The scientific basis of a total asbestos banB Terracini
University of Turin, Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, Giovanni Scansetti Center for the study of asbestos, Italy
Med Lav 97:383-92. 2006..The effectiveness of protocols suggested for "controlled use" has not been tested with a scientfiic approach: they seem hardly practicable, particularly in the countries which are currently the major consumers of asbestos...
- Yokohama declaration for fair and equal compensation for all asbestos victims and their familiesBenedetto Terracini
Center for Cancer Prevention, University of Torino, Italy
Int J Occup Environ Health 14:67. 2008
- Lorenzo Tomatis and environmental cancer riskBenedetto Terracini
Dipartimento di Scienze Biomediche e Oncologia Umana, Universita degli Studi, Turin, Italy
Ann Ist Super Sanita 44:5-7. 2008....
- Environmental and occupational epidemiology in ItalyBenedetto Terracini
University of Torino, Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, CeRMS and Centre for Oncologic Prevention, University of Turin, Italy
Int J Occup Environ Health 11:1-5. 2005
- [The role of epidemiology in the identification of carcinogenic risk in the workplace: past and present]Benedetto Terracini
Centro per la Prevenzione Oncologica della Regione Piemonte, Torino, Italia
Epidemiol Prev 33:44-8. 2009..As yet, no convincing findings have been obtained in this area. In any case, this line of research is not to be considered as an approach to preventive strategies alternative to the elimination of exposure to occupational carcinogens...
- [Environmental risk communication and civil rights]Benedetto Terracini
Rivista dell Associazione italiana di epidemiologia
Epidemiol Prev 31:76-8. 2007
- Increased risk of malignant mesothelioma of the pleura after residential or domestic exposure to asbestos: a case-control study in Casale Monferrato, ItalyC Magnani
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, Centre for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, CPO Piemonte, S Giovanni Hospital and University of Torino, Italy
Environ Health Perspect 109:915-9. 2001..The present work confirms the association of environmental asbestos exposure and pleural MM, controlling for other sources of asbestos exposure, and suggests that environmental exposure caused a greater risk than domestic exposure...
- Survival trends of childhood cancer diagnosed during 1970-1994 in Piedmont, Italy: a report from the Childhood Cancer RegistryG Pastore
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Cancer Epidemiology Unit of the Centre for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention-CPO Piemonte, S. Giovanni Hospital, Torino, Italy
Med Pediatr Oncol 36:481-8. 2001..Survival results in the present study are similar to those presented for other European countries and the United States. For most types of neoplasm (except CNS) survival probability appears to stabilize 5-10 years after diagnosis...
- Multicentric study on malignant pleural mesothelioma and non-occupational exposure to asbestosC Magnani
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, S Giovanni B Hospital and Regional Centre for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, Torino, Italy
Br J Cancer 83:104-11. 2000..A dose-response pattern appeared with intensity of both sources of exposure. It is suggested that low-dose exposure to asbestos at home or in the general environment carries a measurable risk of malignant pleural mesothelioma...
- Physical impairment and social life goals among adult long-term survivors of childhood cancer: a population-based study from the childhood cancer registry of Piedmont, ItalyG Pastore
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Cancer Epidemiology Unit of the Centre for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, CPO Piedmont, San Giovanni Hospital, Turin, Italy
Tumori 87:372-8. 2001..From the methodologic point of view, the present study shows the feasibility of surveillance surveys on health-related quality of life with the contribution of general practitioners...
- Time trends in survival of children with acute lymphocytic leukemia in Piedmont, Italy: a report from the Population-Based Cancer RegistryC Magnani
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Torino, Italy
Tumori 81:164-8. 1995..CONCLUSIONS: Present data are compared with those resulting from other population-based series: this exercise can be useful for an overall evaluation of delivery of cancer therapy at the population basis...
- Parental occupation and other environmental factors in the etiology of leukemias and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas in childhood: a case-control studyC Magnani
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Torino, Italy
Tumori 76:413-9. 1990....
- Childhood cancer survival in Europe: an overviewB Terracini
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont Regional Centre for Cancer Prevention, University of Torino, Via Santena 7, 10126 Turin, Italy
Eur J Cancer 37:810-6. 2001....
- Risk factors for soft tissue sarcomas in childhood: a case-control studyC Magnani
Cancer Epidemiology Unit, University of Torino, Italy
Tumori 75:396-400. 1989..An association was also observed with paternal occupation as butcher, building worker or employment in the production of domestic appliances. One case and no controls reported a maternal aunt affected by breast cancer...
- [Mortality from pleural and peritoneal cancer in a cohort of asbestos workers, many years after start of the exposure: possible role of fibers clearance]F Barone Adesi
SCDU Epidemiologia dei Tumori, Universita di Torino, Via Santena 7, 10126, Torino, Italia
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 29:346-8. 2007..The different trends for pleural and peritoneal cancer might be related to clearance of the asbestos from the workers' lungs...
- Mortality of parents of children with cancer: a population-based study in Turin, ItalyM L Mosso
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Center for Cancer Prevention (CPO-Piedmont, San Giovanni Battista Hospital and University, Turin, Italy
Tumori 85:443-8. 1999..9 were expected. CONCLUSIONS: The data do not indicate any increase in mortality from cancer or other causes end, on the contrary, show a reduction in mortality which was more evident for the causes related to life style...
- Time trends of childhood cancer mortality rates: a report from the Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Italy, 1971-1998Luisa Zuccolo
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Cancer Epidemiology Unit, CPO Piemonte, CeRMS, S Giovanni Hospital and University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Pediatr Blood Cancer 43:788-91. 2004....
- Host related risk factors for canine osteosarcomaG Ru
Department of Animal Pathology, University of Turin, Italy
Vet J 156:31-9. 1998..Adjustment of risk estimates for standard height adjusted for standard weight, and vice versa, showed a stronger and more consistent association of osteosarcoma with increasing height than increasing weight...
- Population-based survival after childhood cancer diagnosed during 1970-98: a report from the Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, ItalySilvia Viscomi
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Cancer Epidemiology Unit of the Center for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, CPO Piemonte, S Giovanni Hospital, Turin, Italy
Haematologica 88:974-82. 2003..Since 1967 the Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont has been collecting cases of malignant tumor, diagnosed in children aged 0-14 years, living in Piedmont. This work aims to update survival rates to 31.12.2000...
- Early deaths from childhood cancer. A report from the Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Italy, 1967-1998Guido Pastore
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Cancer Epidemiology Unit of the Centre for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, Via Santena 7, 10126 Torino, Italy
Eur J Pediatr 163:313-9. 2004..8%, 10.7% and 12.8%, respectively. This pattern clearly differed from the corresponding trend for acute lymphoid leukaemia (6.4%, 2.0%, 0.4%)...
- Long-term mortality from pleural and peritoneal cancer after exposure to asbestos: Possible role of asbestos clearanceFrancesco Barone-Adesi
Unit of Cancer Epidemiology, CeRMS and Center for Oncologic Prevention Piemonte, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Int J Cancer 123:912-6. 2008..The different trends for pleural and peritoneal cancer might be related to clearance of the asbestos from the workers' lungs...
- Survival after pleural malignant mesothelioma: a population-based study in ItalyCorrado Magnani
Registry of Malignant Mesothelioma, Center for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, CPO Piemonte, San Giovanni Hospital and University of Turin, Italy
Tumori 88:266-9. 2002..5 million total population). It focused on possible differences related to period of diagnosis a proxy of changes in diagnostic or therapeutic procedures...
- Increasing incidence of childhood leukemia in Northwest Italy, 1975-98Corrado Magnani
Childhood Cancer Registry of Piedmont, Regional Center for Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention CPO Piemonte, Torino, Italy
Int J Cancer 105:552-7. 2003..Possible causes to be investigated include environmental factors, changes in family size and parental age, socioeconomic conditions and geographical distribution of cases...
- Carcinogenicity of pesticides: is everything under control?Benedetto Terracini
Int J Occup Environ Health 8:73-5. 2002
- [Environmental epidemiology and polluted areas in Italy]Fabrizio Bianchi
Sezione di epidemiologia, IFC, Pisa
Epidemiol Prev 30:146-52. 2006
- [Report on health status of residents in areas with industrial, mining or military sites in Sardinia, Italy]Annibale Biggeri
Dipartimento di statistica G Parenti, Universita di Firenze
Epidemiol Prev 30:5-95. 2006..The areas have been named after the most important town, as listed below (in brackets rounded 2001 population), major activities in industrial areas are briefly described...
- Asbestos, pleural mesothelioma,and mortality in ItalyRoberto G Carbone
J Occup Environ Hyg 5:D55-6. 2008
- Cancer mortality and incidence of mesothelioma in a cohort of wives of asbestos workers in Casale Monferrato, ItalyDaniela Ferrante
Unit of Medical Statistics and Cancer Epidemiology, CPO Piemonte and University of Eastern Piedmont, Novara, Italy
Environ Health Perspect 115:1401-5. 2007..Although the hazard is established, the magnitude of the risk is uncertain, and it is unclear whether risk is also increased for other cancers. Few cohort studies have been reported...
- FIOH-sponsored newsletter misrepresents asbestos hazards in ZimbabweJohn C Bailar
The University of Chicago, IL, USA
Int J Occup Environ Health 12:254-8. 2006..Instead, FIOH should provide the same level of scientific information in Africa that it does in Finland and other developed countries...
- Re: Implementation of WHO Guidelines on Disclosure of Interest by members of WHO Expert PanelsOlav Axelson
Int J Occup Environ Health 8:271-3. 2002
- Industrial activities in sites at high environmental risk and their impact on the health of the populationFrancesco Mitis
World Health Organization, European Center for Environment and Health, Rome, Italy
Int J Occup Environ Health 11:88-95. 2005..Although more information is needed to identify corrective public health measures, the official recognition of areas in need of cleaning up, which appears to be unique to Italy and which fostered the study, is a promising beginning...
- [International Agency for Research on Cancer Monographs (IARC)]Benedetto Terracini
G Ital Med Lav Ergon 30:83; author reply 86-7. 2008
- [Some thoughts about the ethics of scientific publishing and Epidemiologia & Prevenzione]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 32:69-71. 2008
- [Veterans of the Balcan wars and depleted uranium: what the Italian epidemiologists would like to know]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 30:214-5. 2006
- [Speed limits. A letter to the Minister of Transportation Pietro Lunardi]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 26:2. 2002
- Survival of children with cancer in Italy, 1989-98. A report from the hospital based registry of the Italian Association of Paediatric Haematology and Oncology (AIEOP)Andrea Pession
Paediatric Oncology and Haematology Unit Lalla Seràgnoli, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Eur J Cancer 44:1282-9. 2008....
- [What could epidemiology do against terrorism?]Iacopo Baussano
Epidemiol Prev 28:67-8. 2004
- [Sarcomas in Mantova: a Consensus Report for a better prevention]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 32:18-20. 2008
- [What can epidemiology do when faced with terrorism?]Iacopo Baussano
Gac Sanit 19:80-1. 2005
- The Spanish toxic oil syndrome 20 years after its onset: a multidisciplinary review of scientific knowledgeEmilio Gelpi
Institut d Investigacions Biomediques de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain
Environ Health Perspect 110:457-64. 2002..Whether PAP esters are simply markers of toxicity of oils or have the capability to induce the disease remains to be elucidated...
- A short history of pathology registries, with emphasis on cancer registriesBenedetto Terracini
University of Torino
Soz Praventivmed 48:3-10. 2003..Nevertheless the increases were concentrated in developed countries whereas in developing countries there was a substantial decrease in registration, attributable to the political and economical situation...
- Occupation and larynx and hypopharynx cancer: an international case-control study in France, Italy, Spain, and SwitzerlandPaolo Boffetta
International Agency for Research on Cancer, Lyon, France
Cancer Causes Control 14:203-12. 2003..To estimate risks for laryngeal/hypopharyngeal cancer associated with occupational titles and industrial activities...
- Occupation and larynx and hypopharynx cancer: a job-exposure matrix approach in an international case-control study in France, Italy, Spain and SwitzerlandFranco Berrino
Epidemiology Unit, National Cancer Institute, Milan, Italy
Cancer Causes Control 14:213-23. 2003..To investigate the effect of exposure to occupational agents on the risk of hypopharyngeal/laryngeal cancer...
- [What kind of health surveillance for those exposed to carcinogens?]Benedetto Terracini
Med Lav 94:331. 2003
- [Palestinian genome and scientific publishing]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 27:203-4. 2003
- Re: Regulatory Toxicology and PharmacologyOlav Axelson
Int J Occup Environ Health 9:386-9; author reply 389-90. 2003
- [Hospital mortality at a cardiosurgical unit in Torino: international comparisons and time trend]Giovannino Ciccone
Struttura complessa a direzione universitaria di epidemiologia dei tumori, ASO S Giovanni Battista, Torino e Centro per la prevenzione oncologica, Regione Piemonte
Epidemiol Prev 28:34-40. 2004..To compare hospital mortality in a cardiac surgery unit with external data and to assess changes in time (patients undergoing surgery in two different periods)...
- Development of environmental epidemiology in Latin America: scope, methodological issues, prioritiesBenedetto Terracini
Int J Epidemiol 34:485-7. 2005
- The limits of epidemiology and the Spanish Toxic Oil SyndromeBenedetto Terracini
Int J Epidemiol 33:443-4. 2004
- [What is hiding behind the classification of fibers?]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 26:302. 2002
- [Preventive strategies and environmental risks]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 26:163-4. 2002
- [Meta-analysis of the Italian studies on short-term effects of air pollution--MISA 1996-2002]Annibale Biggeri
Epidemiol Prev 28:4-100. 2004..Median of Pearson correlation coefficients between pairs of monitors of the each city was 0.62, interquartile range 0.42-0.77...
- [Waste disposal, triangles and 'hot' areas]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 28:299-300. 2004
- Editorial policies on financial disclosureMichael F Jacobson
Nat Neurosci 6:1001. 2003
- Meta-analysis of the Italian studies of short-term effects of air pollution (MISA), 1990-1999Annibale Biggeri
Department of Statistics G Parenti, University of Florence, Florence, Italy
Int J Occup Environ Health 11:107-22. 2005..Results add evidence for an association between air pollution and early mortality or morbidity and support the hypothesis of a synergism between meteorological variables and air pollution...
- [Small areas, big problems]Benedetto Terracini
Epidemiol Prev 30:3-4. 2006
- [Environment and health status of the population in areas with high risk of environmental crisis in Italy]Marco Martuzzi
Epidemiol Prev 26:suppl 1-53. 2002..These results indicate the occurrence of important risk factors, some of which are related to the industrial activities, but more detailed data are needed for the identification of corrective public health actions...