Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: San Martino University Hospital
Publications109 found, 100 shown here
- Thymoglobulin prevents chronic graft-versus-host disease, chronic lung dysfunction, and late transplant-related mortality: long-term follow-up of a randomized trial in patients undergoing unrelated donor transplantationAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione di Ematologia, Ospedale San Martino, Genova
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:560-5. 2006....
- Diagnosis and treatment of acquired aplastic anemiaAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione di Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo Osseo, Ospedale San Martino Largo, Rosanna Benzi 10, Genova 16132, Italy
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 23:159-70. 2009..This article reviews the key diagnostic and prognostic factors that influence the choice of therapy in patients with acquired aplastic anemia...
- Acute bronchodilator responsiveness in bronchiolitis obliterans syndrome following hematopoietic stem cell transplantationGiovanni Barisione
Unità Operativa Medicina Preventiva e del Lavoro, Laboratorio di Fisiopatologia Respiratoria, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Largo Rosanna Benzi, 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Chest 139:633-9. 2011..We studied whether nonconventional assessment of bronchodilation may help to detect physiologically meaningful airway responses missed by traditional criteria...
- Bone marrow transplantation for acquired severe aplastic anemiaAndrea Bacigalupo
Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, IRCCS San Martino, Pzza R Bensi 1, Genova 16132, Italy Electronic address
Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 28:1145-55. 2014..Recent data on stem cell source, conditioning regimens, and graft-versus-host disease prophylaxis are outlined. Other donor types such as cord blood and haploidentical mismatched family donors are also discussed. ..
- Current outcome of HLA identical sibling versus unrelated donor transplants in severe aplastic anemia: an EBMT analysisAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianti di Midollo Osseo, IRCCS AOU San Martino IST, Genova, Italy
Haematologica 100:696-702. 2015..The use of peripheral blood grafts remains the strongest negative predictor of survival. ..
- Stem cell transplantation for chronic myeloid leukemia (CML): current indications and perspectivesAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia 2, Ospedale San Martino, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 13:775-8. 2013..In conclusion, allogeneic SCT remains a therapeutic option for selected patients with CML and is currently being integrated with the use of TKIs both before and after transplantation. ..
- Matched and mismatched unrelated donor transplantation: is the outcome the same as for matched sibling donor transplantation?Andrea Bacigalupo
1Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico San Martino, Genova, Italy
Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program 2012:223-9. 2012....
- Foscarnet in the management of cytomegalovirus infections in hematopoietic stem cell transplant patientsAndrea Bacigalupo
Department of Hematology, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther 10:1249-64. 2012..In patients receiving hematopoietic stem cell transplantation, it has proven efficacy when used pre-emptively to treat CMV reactivation, as an alternative to and also in combination with ganciclovir...
- Bone marrow versus peripheral blood as the stem cell source for sibling transplants in acquired aplastic anemia: survival advantage for bone marrow in all age groupsAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto, IRCCS San Martino IST, Genova, Italy
Haematologica 97:1142-8. 2012..The aim of this study was to test whether this currently also holds true for older patients with acquired aplastic anemia...
- Late pulmonary complications after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: diagnosis, monitoring, prevention, and treatmentAndrea Bacigalupo
Unità Operativa Ematologia 2, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Genova, Italy
Semin Hematol 49:15-24. 2012..It would be also important to improve understanding of the biological heterogeneity of this devastating complication after allo-HSCT...
- Management of acute graft-versus-host diseaseAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Br J Haematol 137:87-98. 2007..Acute GvHD is complicated by severe immunodeficiency causing life-threatening infections. To date, GvHD has not been differentiated from the graft-versus-leukaemia effect. The present review will discuss some of these aspects...
- Allogeneic hemopoietic stem cell transplants for patients with relapsed acute leukemia: long-term outcomeA Bacigalupo
Divisione di Ematologia 2, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 39:341-6. 2007....
- Defining the intensity of conditioning regimens: working definitionsAndrea Bacigalupo
San Martino Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 15:1628-33. 2009..Standardized classification of conditioning regimen intensities will allow comparison across studies and interpretation of study results...
- Fludarabine, cyclophosphamide and anti-thymocyte globulin for alternative donor transplants in acquired severe aplastic anemia: a report from the EBMT-SAA Working PartyA Bacigalupo
Department of Hematology 2, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino, Largo Benzi, Genova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 36:947-50. 2005..The significant risk of graft failure in patients 15 years or older may require modification of the conditioning regimen in adults...
- Reducing transplant-related mortality after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantationAndrea Bacigalupo
Dipartimento di Emato Oncologia, Ospedale San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 89:1238-47. 2004..The aims of this study were to determine whether these relationships still hold and whether the outcome of transplants is continuing to improve...
- Allogeneic hemopoietic SCT for patients with primary myelofibrosis: a predictive transplant score based on transfusion requirement, spleen size and donor typeA Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:458-63. 2010..In conclusion, PMF patients undergoing an allogeneic HSCT may be scored according to the spleen size, transfusion history and donor type; this scoring system may be useful to discuss transplant strategies...
- Pre-emptive treatment of acute GVHD: a randomized multicenter trial of rabbit anti-thymocyte globulin, given on day+7 after alternative donor transplantsA Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Bone Marrow Transplant 45:385-91. 2010..These results may represent a platform for risk-adapted post transplant immune modulation...
- Unmanipulated haploidentical bone marrow transplantation and posttransplantation cyclophosphamide for hematologic malignancies after myeloablative conditioningAnna Maria Raiola
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo, IRCCS San Martino, Genova, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 19:117-22. 2013..In conclusion, an MA conditioning regimen followed by haploidentical BMT with PT-CY results in a low risk of aGVHD and cGVHD and encouraging rates of TRM and DFS...
- The intra-bone marrow injection of cord blood cells extends the possibility of transplantation to the majority of patients with malignant hematopoietic diseasesFrancesco Frassoni
Centro Cellule Staminali e Terapia Cellulare, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 23:237-44. 2010..A suitable CBU was found for nearly every patient searching for a CBU. Therefore, IB CBT extends the possibility to transplant any patient for whom this approach represents the sole possibility of long-term survival...
- Concentrative uptake of cyclic ADP-ribose generated by BST-1+ stroma stimulates proliferation of human hematopoietic progenitorsMarina Podesta
Department of Hematology, 2nd Division, Pad 5, S Martino Hospital, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
J Biol Chem 280:5343-9. 2005..These results suggest that the BST-1-catalyzed generation of extracellular cADPR, followed by the concentrative uptake of the cyclic nucleotide by HP, may be physiologically relevant in normal hemopoiesis...
- Leukaemia relapse after allogeneic transplants for acute myeloid leukaemia: predictive role of WT1 expressionSarah Pozzi
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo, IRCCS San Martino IST, Genova, Italy
Br J Haematol 160:503-9. 2013..In conclusion, WT1 expression post-HSCT is a strong predictor of leukaemia relapse and survival in AML; WT1 may be used as a marker for early interventional therapy...
- CMV infection after transplant from cord blood compared to other alternative donors: the importance of donor-negative CMV serostatusMałgorzata Mikulska
Division of Infectious Diseases, San Martino University Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 18:92-9. 2012..The duration and incidence of late CMV infection were similar when D-/R+ CBT were compared with D-/R+ alternative donor transplants...
- Boost of CD34+-selected peripheral blood cells without further conditioning in patients with poor graft function following allogeneic stem cell transplantationAlessandra Larocca
Divisione Ematologia, Ospedale San Gerardo, Monza, Milano, Italy
Haematologica 91:935-40. 2006..It is uncertain whether a boost of donor marrow or blood cells is beneficial in terms of trilineage recovery and non-relapse-related mortality (NRM)...
- Transplant-related mortality and long-term graft function are significantly influenced by cell dose in patients undergoing allogeneic marrow transplantationAlida Dominietto
Dipartimento di Ematologia Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Blood 100:3930-4. 2002..02), and recipient age (P =.02). In conclusion, transplantation of high marrow cell dose is associated with reduced transplant mortality and improved survival and results in improved graft function both short and long term...
- CTLA-4 +49A>G polymorphism of recipients of HLA-matched sibling allogeneic stem cell transplantation is associated with survival and relapse incidencePatrizia Piccioli
Medical Oncology C, National Cancer Research Institute, Genoa, Italy
Ann Hematol 89:613-8. 2010..However, only recipient +49A>G polymorphism was retained as independent prognostic factor in a multivariate analysis, suggesting that the expression of CTLA-4 on the cells of recipient may be relevant for the clinical outcome of HSCT...
- Rituximab treatment for Epstein-Barr virus DNAemia after alternative-donor hematopoietic stem cell transplantationStefania Coppoletta
Division of Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplant, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 17:901-7. 2011..Patients with increasing EBV copies despite rituximab therapy are at high risk for EBV PTLD and may be considered for alternative therapies...
- Fludarabine, cyclophosphamide, antithymocyte globulin, with or without low dose total body irradiation, for alternative donor transplants, in acquired severe aplastic anemia: a retrospective study from the EBMT-SAA Working PartyAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo Osseo, Ospedale San Martino, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Haematologica 95:976-82. 2010..We analyzed the outcome of 100 patients with acquired severe aplastic anemia undergoing an alternative donor transplant, after immune suppressive therapy had failed...
- Direct intrabone transplant of unrelated cord-blood cells in acute leukaemia: a phase I/II studyFrancesco Frassoni
Stem Cells and Cell Therapy Centre, San Martino Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Lancet Oncol 9:831-9. 2008..The aim of this phase I/II study was to establish the safety and efficacy of a new administration route (intrabone) for cord-blood cells, measured by the donor-derived neutrophil and platelet engraftment...
- Improved Outcome of Alternative Donor Transplantations in Patients with Myelofibrosis: From Unrelated to Haploidentical Family DonorsStefania Bregante
Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo, IRCCS AOU San Martino IST, Genova, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 22:324-9. 2016..Improvement is most significant in alternative donor transplantations, with modifications in donor type and conditioning regimen. ..
- Unmanipulated haploidentical transplants compared with other alternative donors and matched sibling graftsAnna Maria Raiola
Division of Hematology and Marrow Transplantation, Istituto Ricerca Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, San Martino Istituto Tumori IST, Genova, Italy
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 20:1573-9. 2014..80), whereas UCB had inferior survival (P = .03). In conclusion, unmanipulated haploidentical family donor transplants are an additional option for patients lacking a matched sibling donor. ..
- Treatment of acute graft versus host disease with low dose-alternate day anti-thymocyte globulinFrancesco Graziani
Dipartimento di Ematologia, Ospedale San Martino, Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 87:973-8. 2002..In the present study we report on the use of low dose ATG (thymoglobuline, Sangstat) and steroids in 28 patients with moderate to severe acute GvHD...
- Changes in cytokine profile pre- and post-immunosuppression in acquired aplastic anemiaCarlo Dufour
Haematology Unit, G Gaslini Children s Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 94:1743-7. 2009....
- Adding low-dose gemtuzumab ozogamicin to fludarabine, Ara-C and idarubicin (MY-FLAI) may improve disease-free and overall survival in elderly patients with non-M3 acute myeloid leukaemia: results of a prospective, pilot, multi-centre trial and comparison Marino Clavio
Department of Haematology and Oncology, University of Genova and S Martino Hospital, Genova, Italy
Br J Haematol 138:186-95. 2007..This GO-based induction chemotherapy has a good toxicity profile. In keeping with a recent prospective randomised trial, the addition of GO seems to prolong disease-free survival...
- Imatinib for refractory chronic graft-versus-host disease with fibrotic featuresAttilio Olivieri
Department of Hematology, San Carlo Hospital, via Potito Petrone 1, Potenza, Italy
Blood 114:709-18. 2009..The 18-month probability of overall survival is 84%. This study suggests that imatinib is a promising treatment for patients with refractory fibrotic cGVHD...
- Female genital tract graft-versus-host disease following allogeneic bone marrow transplantationSimonetta Spinelli
Dipartimento di Ematologia S Martino, Genova, Italy
Haematologica 88:1163-8. 2003..We tried to evaluate the incidence of genital tract involvement and whether there are specific risk factors...
- Allogeneic cell transplant expands bone marrow distribution by colonizing previously abandoned areas: an FDG PET/CT analysisFrancesco Fiz
Chair of Nuclear Medicine, Genoa University, Istituti di Ricovero e Cura e Carattere Scientifico San Martino Istituto Scientifico Tumori, Genoa, Italy
Blood 125:4095-102. 2015..9 ± 0.9 and 1.7 ± 2.5 vs 0.3 ± 0.3 mL/kg IBW, P < .01). These data document an unexpected distribution of transplanted BM into previously abandoned BM sites. ..
- Outcome of aplastic anaemia in children. A study by the severe aplastic anaemia and paediatric disease working parties of the European group blood and bone marrow transplantCarlo Dufour
Clinical and Experimental Haematology Unit, G Gaslini Childrens Hospital, Genova, Italy
Br J Haematol 169:565-73. 2015..MFD HSCT is an excellent therapy for children with AA. IST has a high failure rate, but remains a reasonable first-line choice if MFD HSCT is not available because high OS enables access to HSCT, which is a very good rescue option...
- Prophylaxis and treatment of invasive fungal diseases in allogeneic stem cell transplantation: results of a consensus process by Gruppo Italiano Trapianto di Midollo Osseo (GITMO)Corrado Girmenia
Department of Hematology, Policlinico Umberto I, University of Sapienza, Rome, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 49:1226-36. 2009....
- Laparoscopic lymph node biopsy in intra-abdominal lymphoma: high diagnostic accuracy achieved with a minimally invasive procedureMarco Casaccia
Departments of General and Transplant Surgery, University of Genoa, San Martino Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 17:175-8. 2007..LLB can be proposed as the procedure of choice to sample deep lymphatic tissues in patients with intra-abdominal lymphadenopathy at a very low morbidity rate and as an outpatient procedure in selected cases...
- Endothelial colony-forming cells from patients with chronic myeloproliferative disorders lack the disease-specific molecular clonality markerGiovanna Piaggio
Divisione Ematologia, Ospedale San Martino, Genova
Blood 114:3127-30. 2009....
- Mechanisms for reduced pulmonary diffusing capacity in haematopoietic stem-cell transplantation recipientsGiovanni Barisione
Fisiopatologia Respiratoria, IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino IST, Genoa, Italy Electronic address
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 194:54-61. 2014..A further reduction of DM,CO without VC loss occurs after HSCT, possibly related to development of oedema, or interstitial fibrosis, or both...
- Primary prophylaxis of invasive fungal diseases in allogeneic stem cell transplantation: revised recommendations from a consensus process by Gruppo Italiano Trapianto Midollo Osseo (GITMO)Corrado Girmenia
Department of Hematology, Azienda Policlinico Umberto I, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy Electronic address
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 20:1080-8. 2014..The risk stratification was the critical determinant of the primary antifungal approach for allo-HSCT recipients. ..
- Bone marrow or peripheral blood as a source of stem cells for allogeneic transplantationAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia 2 PAD 5 II, Ospedale San Martino, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 87:4-8. 2002..The aim of this report is to review available data on PB vs BM hematopoietic stem cell transplantation (HSCT). The discussion is restricted to unmanipulated HLA identical sibling transplants...
- Epidemiology of viral respiratory tract infections in an outpatient haematology facilityMałgorzata Mikulska
Division of Infectious Diseases, San Martino Hospital and University of Genoa, Largo R Benzi, 10 16132, Genoa, Italy
Ann Hematol 93:669-76. 2014..Thus, microbiological diagnosis and contact preventive measures are crucial. Rather than universal influenza prophylaxis, prompt diagnosis and treatment of only documented infections could be pursued...
- Validation of the Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation-Specific Comorbidity Index: a prospective, multicenter GITMO studyRoberto Raimondi
Department of Hematology, S Bortolo Hospital, Vicenza, Italy
Blood 120:1327-33. 2012..66, 064, and 0.59, respectively). We confirm the clinical utility of the HCT-CI score that could also identify patients at low NRM risk possibly benefiting from an HSCT-based treatment strategy...
- Treatment of acute graft-versus-host disease with prednisolone: significant survival advantage for day +5 responders and no advantage for nonresponders receiving anti-thymocyte globulinMaria Teresa Van Lint
Divisione Ematologia 2, Ospedale San Martino, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Blood 107:4177-81. 2006....
- False-positive galactomannan platelia Aspergillus test results for patients receiving piperacillin-tazobactamClaudio Viscoli
Infectious Disease Unit, National Institute for Cancer Research and University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy
Clin Infect Dis 38:913-6. 2004..Multivariate analysis found administration of PT ( chi 2=34.7; P<.001) and underlying disease ( chi 2=21.14; P<.001) to be associated with PA positivity. Of 15 PT batches tested, 12 had positive PA test results...
- Helical tomotherapy targeting total bone marrow after total body irradiation for patients with relapsed acute leukemia undergoing an allogeneic stem cell transplantRenzo Corvò
Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Genoa and National Cancer Research Institute, Largo R Benzi 10, Genoa, Italy
Radiother Oncol 98:382-6. 2011..To report our clinical experience in planning and delivering total marrow irradiation (TMI) after total body irradiation (TBI) in patients with relapsed acute leukemia undergoing an allogeneic stem-cell transplant (SCT)...
- Airway distensibility with lung inflation after allogeneic haematopoietic stem-cell transplantationGiovanni Barisione
Fisiopatologia Respiratoria, IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino IST, Genoa, Italy
Respir Physiol Neurobiol 184:80-5. 2012..This effect seems to be related to an increase in lung stiffness and must be taken into account when interpreting lung function changes after HSCT...
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for myelofibrosisGiovanni Barosi
Unit of Clinical Epidemiology, IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia and Second Division of Hematology, Ospedale San Martino, Viale Golgi 19, 27100 Genoa, Italy
Curr Opin Hematol 13:74-8. 2006....
- Cord blood transplantation provides better reconstitution of hematopoietic reservoir compared with bone marrow transplantationFrancesco Frassoni
Centro Cellule Staminali e Terapia Cellulare, Dipartimento Emato Oncologia, Ospedale San Martino, 16132 Genova, Italy
Blood 102:1138-41. 2003....
- Liposomal daunorubicin, fludarabine, and cytarabine (FLAD) as bridge therapy to stem cell transplant in relapsed and refractory acute leukemiaEnrico De Astis
Division of Clinical Hematology and Division of Hematology and Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation, IRCCS S Martino IST, Viale Benedetto XV, N 6, 16132, Genova, Italy
Ann Hematol 93:2011-8. 2014..In this paper, we show that FLAD seems to be an effective bridge therapy to HSCT for a part of poor prognosis acute leukemia patients. However, prospective studies are needed to confirm our results...
- Outcome of aplastic anemia in adolescence: a survey of the Severe Aplastic Anemia Working Party of the European Group for Blood and Marrow TransplantationCarlo Dufour
Clinical and Experimental Hematology Unit G Gaslini Childrens Hospital, Genova, Italy
Haematologica 99:1574-81. 2014..If such a donor is not available, immunosuppressive treatment may still be an acceptable second choice, also because, in case of failure, hematopoietic stem cell transplantation is a very good rescue option. ..
- Clinical scale ex vivo expansion of cord blood-derived outgrowth endothelial progenitor cells is associated with high incidence of karyotype aberrationsMirko Corselli
Centro Cellule Staminali e Terapia Cellulare, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Exp Hematol 36:340-9. 2008..In this study, we evaluated the expansion potential of CB EPCs together with their phenotypic, functional, and chromosomal stability over time...
- Management of acute graft versus host disease (GvHD)Andrea Bacigalupo
Dipartimento di Emato Oncologia, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy
Hematol J 5:189-96. 2004..We have considerably reduced the risk of acute GvHD over the past three decades: we need to further improve these results, with the final goal of dissecting, if possible, the graft versus host from the graft versus tumor effect...
- Incidence and outcome of invasive fungal diseases after allogeneic stem cell transplantation: a prospective study of the Gruppo Italiano Trapianto Midollo Osseo (GITMO)Corrado Girmenia
Department of Hematology, Azienda Policlinico Umberto I, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy Electronic address
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 20:872-80. 2014..90; 95% confidence interval, 2.32 to 3.62; P < .0001). Our findings indicate that tailored prevention strategies may be useful in subpopulations at differing levels of risk for PP-IFDs...
- Extracorporeal photopheresis for the treatment of acute and chronic graft-versus-host disease in adults and children: best practice recommendations from an Italian Society of Hemapheresis and Cell Manipulation (SIdEM) and Italian Group for Bone Marrow TraLuca Pierelli
Servizio di Immunoematologia e Medicina Trasfusionale, A O San Camillo Forlanini, Roma, Italy Università La Sapienza, Roma, Italy Servizio Trasfusionale, UOS Aferesi e nuove tecnologie trasfusionali, A O San Gerardo, Monza, Italy Unità di Ematologia, Divisione di Medicina Interna, Ospedale C Massaia, Asti, Italy Clinica di Oncoematologia Pediatrica, Universita di Padova, Padova, Italy Servizio di Immunoematologia e Trasfusionale, Unità di Terapia Cellulare, Fondazione IRCCS Policlinico S Matteo, Pavia, Italy UO Immunoematologia, A O Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy Divisione Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo Osseo, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy Dipartimento of Oncologia Ematologia Pediatrica, IRCCS Ospedale Pediatrico Bambino Gesù, Pavia, Italy Università di Pavia, Pavia, Italy Centro Trasfusionale, Ospedale San Martino, Genova, Italy UO Ematologia, A O Careggi and Università di Firenze, Firenze, Italy
Transfusion 53:2340-52. 2013..Consensus-based recommendations ameliorate the appropriateness in daily clinical practice and, in turn, optimize the use of health care resources...
- Genetic polymorphisms of CYP3A4, GSTT1, GSTM1, GSTP1 and NQO1 and the risk of acquired idiopathic aplastic anemia in Caucasian patientsCarlo Dufour
Hematology Unit, Department of Pediatric Hemato Oncology, Giannina Gaslini Children s Hospital, Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 90:1027-31. 2005..We assessed whether, in a Caucasian population, low or null activity polymorphisms of CYP3A4, GSTT1, GSTM1, GSTP1 and NQO1 were associated with the risk of developing aplastic anemia and with the response to immunosuppressive therapy...
- Cyclic ADP-ribose generation by CD38 improves human hemopoietic stem cell engraftment into NOD/SCID miceMarina Podesta
Department of Hematology, 2nd Division, S Martino Hospital, Genoa, Italy
FASEB J 17:310-2. 2003....
- Outcome of laparoscopic splenectomy for malignant hematologic diseasesDavide Cavaliere
Divisione di Chirurgia Generale e Trapianti d Organo, Genoa, Italy
Tumori 90:229-32. 2004..The aim of this study was to assess whether the benign or malignant nature of hematological diseases may influence the outcome of laparoscopic splenectomy...
- Antithymocyte globulin for prevention of graft-versus-host diseaseAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia II, Ospedale San Martino, 16132 Genova, Italy
Curr Opin Hematol 12:457-62. 2005..Published papers, as well as abstracts from European and American meetings, have been used together with original data...
- Similar outcome of upfront-unrelated and matched sibling stem cell transplantation in idiopathic paediatric aplastic anaemia. A study on behalf of the UK Paediatric BMT Working Party, Paediatric Diseases Working Party and Severe Aplastic Anaemia Working PCarlo Dufour
Clinical and Experimental Haematology Unit, Giannina Gaslini Children s Hospital, Genova, Italy
Br J Haematol 171:585-94. 2015..Front-line therapy with matched unrelated donor HSCT is a novel treatment approach and could be considered as first-line therapy in selected paediatric patients who lack a MSD. ..
- Experts' considerations on HLA-haploidentical stem cell transplantationFrancesca Patriarca
Department of Hematology, Stem Cell Transplant Unit, DISM, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Eur J Haematol 93:187-97. 2014..However, expertise in stem cell manipulation and in adoptive immunotherapy is essential if a TCD transplant platform is chosen. ..
- Mesenchymal stem cells and haematopoietic stem cell transplantationAndrea Bacigalupo
Divisione Ematologia, Ospedale San Martino, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Haematol 17:387-99. 2004..With the expanding role of stem cell transplants in different areas of medicine, including cardiology and orthopaedics, MSCs may become very important in the next few years...
- Haemopoietic stem cell transplants: the impact of haemorrhagic complicationsAndrea Bacigalupo
Department of Haematology, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, Ospedale, San Martino, Genova, Italy
Blood Rev 17:S6-10. 2003..A total enrollment of 100 patients is anticipated, and preliminary data are expected at the end of 2003...
- Adult advanced chronic lymphocytic leukemia: computational analysis of whole-body CT documents a bone structure alterationFrancesco Fiz
From the Departments of Nuclear Medicine Unit F Fiz, R P, F B, S M, G B, G S, Hematology M Miglino, Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation A B, and Epidemiology P B, IRCCS San Martino IST, University of Genoa, L go R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy CNR Institute of Molecular Bioimaging and Physiology, Milan, Section of Genoa, Genoa, Italy C M Nuclear Medicine Unit, U Parini Hospital, Aosta, Italy M Massollo Department of Mathematics, University of Genoa, Genoa, Italy C C, M P and Stem Cell Laboratory, IRCCS Pediatric Institute G Gaslini, Genoa, Italy F Frassoni
Radiology 271:805-13. 2014....
- Supportive care with art therapy, for patients in isolation during stem cell transplantAlessandra Agnese
Department of Hematology II, University Hospital San Martino, Genova, Italy
Palliat Support Care 10:91-8. 2012....
- A BCR-JAK2 fusion gene as the result of a t(9;22)(p24;q11) in a patient with acute myeloid leukemiaGabriella Cirmena
Department of Hematology, University of Genoa, V le Benedetto XV 6, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Cancer Genet Cytogenet 183:105-8. 2008..Previously, BCR-JAK2 rearrangement was observed in a single case with atypical chronic myelogenous leukemia (CML), but in that case the breakpoint in the BCR was different...
- CTLA-4 expressed by chemoresistant, as well as untreated, myeloid leukaemia cells can be targeted with ligands to induce apoptosisStefania Laurent
Unit of Translational Research A, National Cancer Research Institute, Genova, Italy
Br J Haematol 136:597-608. 2007....
- Aspergillus galactomannan antigen in the cerebrospinal fluid of bone marrow transplant recipients with probable cerebral aspergillosisClaudio Viscoli
Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Dipartimento di Oncologia, Biologia e Genetica, Genoa, Italy
J Clin Microbiol 40:1496-9. 2002..Comparison of serum galactomannan values in pulmonary and cerebral aspergillosis patients showed significant overlapping. Detection of Aspergillus galactomannan in cerebrospinal fluid may be diagnostic of cerebral aspergillosis...
- Development of leukemia in donor cells after allogeneic stem cell transplantation--a survey of the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT)Bernd Hertenstein
Hannover Medical School, Department of Hematology and Oncology, Carl Neuberg Strasse 1, 30625 Hannover, Germany
Haematologica 90:969-75. 2005..DCL is an extremely rare complication of allogeneic SCT in which treatment attempts with chemotherapy and a second SCT are justified. Donors are not at an increased risk of developing hematologic malignancies...
- Filgrastim-mobilized peripheral blood progenitor cells versus bone marrow transplantation for treating leukemia: 3-year results from the EBMT randomized trialNorbert Schmitz
Department of Hematology, AK St Georg, Lohmuehlenstrasse 5, 20099 Hamburg, Germany
Haematologica 90:643-8. 2005....
- Cotransplantation of HLA-identical sibling culture-expanded mesenchymal stem cells and hematopoietic stem cells in hematologic malignancy patientsHillard M Lazarus
Department of Medicine, The University Comprehensive Cancer Center, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 11:389-98. 2005..The optimal MSC dose and frequency of administration to prevent or treat GVHD during allogeneic HSC transplantation should be evaluated further in phase II clinical trials...
- Allogeneic hematopoietic stem-cell transplantation with reduced-intensity conditioning in intermediate- or high-risk patients with myelofibrosis with myeloid metaplasiaDamiano Rondelli
Stem Cell Transplant Program, Section Hematology Oncology, University of Illinois at Chicago, 900 S Ashland Ave, Chicago, IL 60607 7171, USA
Blood 105:4115-9. 2005..The use of RIC regimens in allogeneic stem cell transplantation results in prolonged survival in intermediate/high-risk MMM patients...
- Survival advantage with KIR ligand incompatibility in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation from unrelated donorsSebastian Giebel
Department of Haematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation, Silesian Medical Academy, Katowice, Poland
Blood 102:814-9. 2003..These data indicate that natural killer (NK) cell alloreactivity is associated with better outcome after URD-HSC transplantation when ATG is used as part of GVHD prophylaxis...
- Reduced intensity conditioning with thiotepa, fludarabine, and melphalan is effective in advanced multiple myelomaIgnazio Majolino
Hematology and Bone Marrow Transplantation Unit, Azienda Ospedaliera S Camillo Forlanini, Rome, Italy
Leuk Lymphoma 48:759-66. 2007..When used as first line treatment the results of transplantation appear even more encouraging...
- Treatment of severe aplastic anemia with antilymphocyte globulin, cyclosporine and two different granulocyte colony-stimulating factor regimens: a GITMO prospective randomized studyAnna Locasciulli
Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo, Ospedale San Camillo, Circonvallazione Gianicolense 87, 00152 Rome, Italy
Haematologica 89:1054-61. 2004..The aim of the present study was to test whether a higher dose of G-CSF (10 micro g/kg/day) would reduce these complications...
- Relevance of bone marrow cell dose on allogeneic transplantation outcomes for patients with acute myeloid leukemia in first complete remission: results of a European surveyVanderson Rocha
Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplant Unit, Hopital Saint Louis, and Service d Hématologie, CHU Saint Antoine and European Data Management Office, Institut des Cordeliers, Paris, France
J Clin Oncol 20:4324-30. 2002..Bone marrow cell dose has been reported to be an important factor in alloBMT; however, its true impact on relapse incidence (RI), leukemia-free survival (LFS), and nonrelapse mortality (NRM) in a large cohort of patients is unknown...
- Introducing the special issue on allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantationAndrea Bacigalupo
Exp Hematol 31:841-3. 2003
- Results and follow-up of a phase III randomized study of recombinant human-granulocyte stimulating factor as support for immunosuppressive therapy in patients with severe aplastic anaemiaEliane Gluckman
Hospital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Br J Haematol 119:1075-82. 2002..We conclude that lenograstim support of immunosuppressive therapy might be used for patients with severe aplastic anaemia as it significantly enhances neutrophil recovery but does not modify the overall response and survival...
- Outcome of pregnancy and disease course among women with aplastic anemia treated with immunosuppressionAndre Tichelli
University Hospitals Basel, Hematology, Petersgraben 4, CH 4031 Basel, Switzerland
Ann Intern Med 137:164-72. 2002..The effects of pregnancy on aplastic anemia after immunosuppressive treatment and of aplastic anemia on the outcome of pregnancy have not been described...
- Transplantation of mobilized peripheral blood cells to HLA-identical siblings with standard-risk leukemiaNorbert Schmitz
Department of Internal Medicine II, University of Kiel, Germany
Blood 100:761-7. 2002..Long-term observation of patients with different diseases and stages of disease is necessary to ultimately define the role of both sources of stem cells...
- Hormone replacement therapy and chronic graft-versus-host disease activity in women treated with bone marrow transplantation for hematologic malignanciesEnrico Balleari
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Genova and San Martino Hospital, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 966:187-92. 2002..According to present data, HRT did not appear to influence the activity of cGVHD in young women who underwent ABMT for hematological malignancies. Therefore, we can safely propose this therapy for women with gonadal failure after ABMT...
- Donor lymphocyte infusion for relapsed chronic myelogenous leukemia: prognostic relevance of the initial cell doseCesare Guglielmi
Universita La Sapienza, Dipartimento di Biotecnologie Cellulari ed Ematologia, Unità TMO Allogenico Giuseppe Papa, Rome, Italy
Blood 100:397-405. 2002..Our results suggest that the first DLI dose should not exceed 0.2 x 10(8) mononuclear cells/kg...
- Outcomes of reduced-intensity transplantation for chronic myeloid leukemia: an analysis of prognostic factors from the Chronic Leukemia Working Party of the EBMTCharles Crawley
Clinical Haematology, Box 234, Addenbrookes Hospital, Cambridge, CB2 2QQ United Kingdom
Blood 106:2969-76. 2005..58). RIC allografts are feasible in CML in first or second CP. Since no other RIC regimen demonstrated superiority, Fd/Bu/ATG should be considered as baseline in future prospective trials...
- Influence of donor/recipient sex matching on outcome of allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation for aplastic anemiaMartin Stern
University Hospital, Department of Hematology, Basel, Switzerland
Transplantation 82:218-26. 2006..An increased rejection of male grafts in female recipients is not reported for solid organ or stem cell transplants and the role of H-Y as transplantation antigen has been controversial...
- Retrospective comparison of reduced-intensity conditioning and conventional high-dose conditioning for allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation using HLA-identical sibling donors in myelodysplastic syndromesRodrigo Martino
Division of Clinical Hematology, Hopital de la Sant Creu i Sant Pau, Autonomous University of Barcelona, Spain
Blood 108:836-46. 2006....
- Nonmyeloablative allogeneic stem cell transplantation in elderly patients with hematological malignancies: results from the GITMO (Gruppo Italiano Trapianto Midollo Osseo) multicenter prospective clinical trialMichele Falda
Division of Hematology, San Giovanni Battista Hospital, Turin, Italy
Am J Hematol 82:863-6. 2007..The leukemic burden at time of transplant has proven to be the most important risk factor for the outcome...
- Donor lymphocyte infusions for the treatment of minimal residual disease in acute leukemiaAlida Dominietto
Blood 109:5063-4. 2007
- Cyclosporin A response and dependence in children with acquired aplastic anaemia: a multicentre retrospective study with long-term observation follow-upPaola Saracco
Paediatric Haematology, University of Turin, Turin, Italy
Br J Haematol 140:197-205. 2008..This long-term follow-up of children with AAA shows that IST with a slow CyA tapering course is an effective treatment with a low-relapse rate in these cases...
- Worse outcome and more chronic GVHD with peripheral blood progenitor cells than bone marrow in HLA-matched sibling donor transplants for young patients with severe acquired aplastic anemiaHubert Schrezenmeier
Institute of Clinical Transfusion Medicine and Immunogenetics, University of Ulm, Germany
Blood 110:1397-400. 2007..Corresponding probabilities for older patients were 52% and 64%. These data indicate that BM grafts are preferred to PBPC grafts in young patients undergoing HLA-matched sibling donor transplantation for SAA...
- Mesenchymal stem cells for treatment of steroid-resistant, severe, acute graft-versus-host disease: a phase II studyKatarina Le Blanc
Haematology Centre and Centre of Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation, Division of Clinical Immunology, Karolinska University Hospital, Huddinge, Stockholm, Sweden
Lancet 371:1579-86. 2008..Mesenchymal stem cells modulate immune responses in vitro and in vivo. We aimed to assess whether mesenchymal stem cells could ameliorate GVHD after haemopoietic-stem-cell transplantation...
- Stimulatory autoantibodies to PDGF receptor in patients with extensive chronic graft-versus-host diseaseSilvia Svegliati
Dipartimento di Scienze Mediche e Chirurgiche, Sezione di Clinica Medica, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Polo Didattico, Ancona, Italy
Blood 110:237-41. 2007..The biologic activity of these autoantibodies suggests a role in the development of fibrosis and argues for a common pathogenetic trait in ecGVDH and scleroderma phenotypes...
- Unrelated donor haematopoietic cell transplantation after non-myeloablative conditioning for patients with high-risk multiple myelomaBenedetto Bruno
Division of Hematology at the San Giovanni Battista Hospital, University of Torino, Torino, Italy
Eur J Haematol 78:330-7. 2007..We investigated the feasibility of unrelated donor non-myeloablative transplantation as either part of the initial treatment plan or as salvage treatment in heavily pretreated patients...
- Outcome of patients with acquired aplastic anemia given first line bone marrow transplantation or immunosuppressive treatment in the last decade: a report from the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT)Anna Locasciulli
Ematologia e Trapianto di Midollo, Ospedale San Camillo, Circonvallazione Gianicolense 87, 00152 Roma Italy
Haematologica 92:11-8. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the outcome of children and adults with AA treated in the last decade, and to determine whether results have improved in two sequential time periods,1991-1996 and 1997-2002...
- Intractable myoclonus associated with anti-GluR3 antibodies after allogeneic bone marrow transplantationClaudio Solaro
Department of Neurology ASL3 genovese Genoa, Via Oliva 22 16154 Genoa, Italy
Haematologica 91:ECR62. 2006
- Granulocyte-stimulating factor and severe aplastic anemia: a survey by the European Group for Blood and Marrow Transplantation (EBMT)Gerard Socie
Service d Hématologie Greffe, and Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale INSERM U728, Hospital Saint Louis, Paris, France
Blood 109:2794-6. 2007..These results emphasize the necessity of the current European randomized trial comparing IST with or without G-CSF and to alert physicians that adding G-CSF to IST is currently not standard treatment for SAA...
- The effect of KIR ligand incompatibility on the outcome of unrelated donor transplantation: a report from the center for international blood and marrow transplant research, the European blood and marrow transplant registry, and the Dutch registrySherif S Farag
The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA
Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 12:876-84. 2006..There were no differences in leukemia recurrence between the 4 groups. These results do not support the choice of an unrelated donor on the basis of KIR ligand mismatch determined from HLA typing...
- WHO classification and WPSS predict posttransplantation outcome in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome: a study from the Gruppo Italiano Trapianto di Midollo Osseo (GITMO)Emilio Paolo Alessandrino
Division of Hematology, University of Pavia, Fondazione Policlinico San Matteo, Istituti di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS, Pavia, Italy
Blood 112:895-902. 2008..013 and P = .031, respectively). In these patients, WPSS identified 2 groups with different OS and TRM. These data suggest that WHO classification and WPSS have a relevant prognostic value in posttransplantation outcome of MDS patients...
- A multicenter prospective phase 2 randomized study of extracorporeal photopheresis for treatment of chronic graft-versus-host diseaseMary E D Flowers
Division of Clinical Research, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, USA
Blood 112:2667-74. 2008..001). ECP was generally well tolerated. These results suggest that ECP may have a steroid-sparing effect in the treatment of cGVHD. Clinical trials registered at www.ClinicalTrials.gov as NCT00054613...
- Intra-bone marrow injection of bone marrow and cord blood cells: an alternative way of transplantation associated with a higher seeding efficiencySandra Castello
Centro Cellule Staminali e Terapia Cellularee, Universita di Pavia, Italy
Exp Hematol 32:782-7. 2004..However, the problem of seeding efficiency and homing is relevant especially when a limited number of stem cells is available. Intra-bone marrow (IBM) injection of bone marrow cells (BMCs) may overcome this problem...