- Circulating tumor cells count predicts survival in colorectal cancer patientsAdriana Romiti
Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Sant Andrea Hospital, Italy
J Gastrointestin Liver Dis 23:279-84. 2014..This study aimed to evaluate the prognostic role of CTC count in both localized and metastatic colorectal cancer patients...
- Metronomic chemotherapy for cancer treatment: a decade of clinical studiesAdriana Romiti
Department of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine and Psychology, Sapienza University, Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035 1039, 00189, Rome, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 72:13-33. 2013..This review analyses available studies dealing with metronomic chemotherapy and its combination with several targeted agents in solid tumours...
- A phase II trial of a biweekly combination of paclitaxel and gemcitabine in metastatic breast cancerSilverio Tomao
Department of Clinical Oncology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute of Rome, Via Chianesi, 53, 00100 Rome, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:137. 2006..Among these new agents paclitaxel and gemcitabine play a crucial role, mostly in patients with relapsed and metastatic disease after failure of chemotherapy with antracyclines...
- Gastric mucosa alterations in first-degree relatives of gastric cancer patientsAdriana Romiti
Oncology, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Res 25:2567-72. 2005..On the other hand, both gastric cell hyperproliferation and abnormalities of adhesion molecules have been involved in gastric carcinogenesis. We studied gastric mucosa alterations in first-degree relatives of gastric cancer patients...
- Somatostatin receptor subtype 2 A (SSTR2A) and HER2 expression in gastric adenocarcinomaAdriana Romiti
Department of Oncology, Sant Andrea Hospital, La Sapienza University, Via Grottarossa 1035, 00189, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Res 32:115-9. 2012..This study assessed the presence of somatostatin receptor subtype 2A (SSTR2A) in gastric cancer, correlating its expression with histological type, grade, human epidermal growth factor receptor 2 (HER2) expression, and disease outcome...
- Relationship between beta-catenin expression and epithelial cell proliferation in gastric mucosa with intestinal metaplasiaAdriana Romiti
Medical Oncology, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 11:4400-3. 2005..To investigate beta-catenin expression in patients with intestinal metaplasia, and to look for a possible relationship between beta-catenin expression and either epithelial proliferation values or Helicobacter pylori (H pylori) infection...
- The TYMS-TSER polymorphism is associated with toxicity of low-dose capecitabine in patients with advanced gastrointestinal cancerAdriana Romiti
aClinical and Molecular Medicine Department bAdvanced Molecular Diagnostics Unit cDepartment of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Sensory Organs, Sant Andrea Hospital, Sapienza University dGenetic Epidemiology Unit, National Centre for Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, National Institute of Health, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 27:1044-9. 2016..Our data suggest a possible role of the TSER 2R/2R polymorphism as a predictive marker of toxicity in patients treated with low-dose capecitabine. ..
- Alteration of E-cadherin expression in gastric mucosa: role of intestinal metaplasia and Helicobacter pylori infectionAngelo Zullo
Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, Nuovo Regina Margherita Hospital, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Res 24:1603-7. 2004..This study aimed to assess the role of both intestinal metaplasia and H. pylori infection on E-cadherin expression in gastric mucosa...
- Gastric epithelial cell proliferation and ras oncogene p21 expression in first-degree relatives of gastric cancer patients: a case-control studyAngelo Zullo
Department of Gastroenterology and Digestive Endoscopy, Nuovo Regina Margherita Hospital, Rome, Italy
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 18:921-6. 2006..Individuals with a family history of gastric cancer have an increased risk of developing such neoplasia. This study aimed to assess epithelial cell proliferation and ras oncogene mutation in such individuals...
- Chemotherapy for the biliary tract cancers: moving toward improved survival timeAdriana Romiti
Department of Oncology, Sant Andrea Hospital, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
J Gastrointest Cancer 43:396-404. 2012..However, the small sample size of most of these studies prevents generalization...
- Degradation Rate of 5-Fluorouracil in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer: A New Predictive Outcome Biomarker?Andrea Botticelli
Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
PLoS ONE 11:e0163105. 2016..The present study analyzes the predictive role of 5-FU degradation rate (5-FUDR) and genetic polymorphisms (MTHFR, TSER, DPYD) on survival...
- Continuous, low-dose capecitabine for patients with recurrent colorectal cancerAdriana Romiti
Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035, 00189, Rome, Italy
Med Oncol 32:54. 2015..There were no cases of grade 4 toxicity or treatment-related deaths. Metronomic capecitabine was moderately active and well-tolerated in pretreated or frail patients with recurrent colorectal cancer...
- 5-Fluorouracil degradation rate could predict toxicity in stages II-III colorectal cancer patients undergoing adjuvant FOLFOXConcetta E Onesti
Departments of aClinical and Molecular Medicine bNeurosciences, Mental Health and Sensory Organs NESMOS, Sapienza University of Rome Departments of cMedical Oncology dGeneral Surgery, Sant Andrea Hospital eIstituto Dermopatico dell Immacolata IRCCS, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Drugs . 2016..Thus, it appears to be a suitable pretreatment toxicity biomarker in a subgroup of patients in whom dose-intensity maintenance is the key factor...
- A metronomic schedule as salvage chemotherapy for upper gastrointestinal tract cancerMichela Roberto
Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 27:106-11. 2016..26; P<0.01). No severe toxicity or treatment-related death was reported. Metronomic capecitabine showed good safety and moderate activity in frail or pretreated patients with advanced, upper gastrointestinal tract cancer...
- Tumors of ampulla of Vater: A case series and review of chemotherapy optionsAdriana Romiti
Adriana Romiti, Viola Barucca, Ida Sarcina, Roberta Di Rocco, Chiara D Antonio, Paolo Marchetti, Oncology Unit, University La Sapienza, Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035, 00189 Rome, Italy
World J Gastrointest Oncol 4:60-7. 2012..In accordance with the literature, a longer median survival was observed in the group of ampullary carcinomas...
- Pre-treatment assay of 5-fluorouracil degradation rate (5-FUDR) to improve prediction of 5-fluorouracil toxicity in gastro-esophageal cancerMarina Borro
Department of Neurosciences, Mental Health and Sensory Organs NESMOS, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Oncotarget . 2016..The present study is aimed to evaluate a novel pre-treatment assay, known as the 5-FU degradation rate (5-FUDR), as a predictive factor for 5-FU toxicity...
- Evolving treatments for advanced gastric cancer: appraisal of the survival trendMichela Roberto
a Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Sant Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 16:717-29. 2016..However, further studies are awaited to bring new drugs into clinical practice and to validate candidate biomarkers predictive of response. ..
- Association Between Proton Pump Inhibitors and Metronomic Capecitabine as Salvage Treatment for Patients With Advanced Gastrointestinal Tumors: A Randomized Phase II TrialPaolo Marchetti
Department of Molecular and Clinical Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Clin Colorectal Cancer 15:377-380. 2016..05. Other assessments will include the frequency and severity of adverse events and changes in laboratory parameters to measure the safety, and the pharmacokinetics of capecitabine. The results are expected in 2016...
- Arterial thrombotic events and acute coronary syndromes with cancer drugs: are growth factors the missed link?: what both cardiologist and oncologist should know about novel angiogenesis inhibitorsElena Conti
Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, Sapienza University of Rome, Ospedale Sant Andrea, Rome, Italy
Int J Cardiol 167:2421-9. 2013..An appropriate treatment with antiplatelet or anticoagulant drugs, endothelial protective agents or cardiovascular interventions is similarly advised. ..
- Profiling the prognosis of gastric cancer patients: is it worth correlating the survival with the clinical/pathological and molecular features of gastric cancers?Laura Lorenzon
Surgical and Medical Department of Translational Medicine, Sant Andrea Hospital, Faculty of Medicine and Psychology, University of Rome La Sapienza, Via di Grottarossa 1035 39, 00189 Rome, Italy
ScientificWorldJournal 2013:196541. 2013..The prognosis of gastric cancer patients still remains poor. The aim of this study was investigating the prognostic value of several clinical/pathological/molecular features in a consecutive series of gastric cancers...
- Exploring the Prognostic Role of Microsatellite Instability in Patients With Stage II Colorectal Cancer: A Systematic Review and Meta-AnalysisAdriana Romiti
Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Clin Colorectal Cancer . 2016..Nevertheless, little evidence supports their role in the decision-making of adjuvant therapy for patients with stage II disease...
- Recent advances for the treatment of pancreatic and biliary tract cancer after first-line treatment failureConcetta Elisa Onesti
a Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 15:1183-98. 2015..However, data in these patients' setting are very heterogeneous, and only few randomized studies are available. ..
- Bevacizumab plus chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated in clinical practiceLuigi Rossi
Oncology, S M Goretti Hospital, Latina, Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
Future Oncol 8:1193-7. 2012..We aimed to evaluate the overall clinical response to such a therapy in clinical practice and assess the role of KRAS status on therapy response...
- Long-term survival in metastatic pancreatic cancer. A case report and review of the literatureGian Paolo Spinelli
Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, La Sapienza University, Rome, Italy
JOP 7:486-91. 2006..Pancreatic cancer still remains an incurable disease. The survival rate of patients in all stages of the disease is poor. Overall median survival is 3-5 months with a 12-month survival rate of 10% and a 5-year survival rate less than 5%...
- Tolerability of Raltitrexed ('Tomudex') in elderly patients with colorectal cancerAdriana Romiti
National Cancer Institute of Genoa, Section of Rome, Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, La Sapienza University of Rome, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Res 22:3071-6. 2002..In this retrospective study, the tolerability of raltitrexed in patients with CRC was examined in relation to age...
- Current achievements and future perspectives of metronomic chemotherapyAdriana Romiti
Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University, Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035, 00189, Rome, Italy
Invest New Drugs . 2016..Currently, several combination strategies with standard chemotherapy, target agents or immunotherapy are under investigation but further efforts are needed to fill the gaps of knowledge in this field...
- Evaluation of 5-fluorouracil degradation rate and Pharmacogenetic profiling to predict toxicity following adjuvant CapecitabineMichela Roberto
Clinical and Molecular Medicine Department, Sapienza University of Rome Sant Andrea Hospital, Via di Grottarossa 1035, 00189, Rome, Italy
Eur J Clin Pharmacol . 2016....
- Is there a benefit by the sequence anastrozole-formestane for postmenopausal metastatic breast cancer women?Paolo Carlini
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, Rome, Italy
J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol 86:107-9. 2003....
- Simultaneous intraductal papillary neoplasms of the bile duct and pancreas treated with chemoradiotherapyRoberto Valente
Roberto Valente, Gabriele Capurso, Matteo Piciucchi, Emilio Di Giulio, Gianfranco Delle Fave, Digestive and Liver Disease Unit, Second Medical School, La Sapienza University, S Andrea Hospital, 00189 Rome, Italy
World J Gastrointest Oncol 4:22-5. 2012..This is also the first reported case of IPMN-B successfully treated with chemoradiotherapy. Clinicians should consider medical treatment as an option in this clinical scenario, in patients who may be unfit for surgery...
- Adjuvant chemotherapy in completely resected gastric cancer: a randomized phase III trial conducted by GOIRCFrancesco Di Costanzo
Unit of Medical Oncology, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Careggi, Viale Pieraccini 17, 50139 Florence, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:388-98. 2008..Complete surgical resection of gastric cancer is potentially curative, but long-term survival is poor...