Affiliation: Regina Elena Cancer Institute
- Temozolomide chemotherapy for progressive low-grade glioma: clinical benefits and radiological responseA Pace
Department of Neuroscience, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Ann Oncol 14:1722-6. 2003..The optimal treatment for low-grade glioma (LGG) is still controversial. Recent data indicate a potential influence of chemotherapy on the natural evolution of these tumors, allowing for the deferral of more aggressive therapies...
- Vitamin E for prophylaxis against chemotherapy-induced neuropathy: a randomized controlled trialAndrea Pace
Neurology 65:501-2; author reply 501-2. 2005
- Rehabilitation pathways in adult brain tumor patients in the first 12 months of disease. A retrospective analysis of services utilization in 719 patientsAndrea Pace
Neuro Oncology Unit, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Via Chianesi, 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
Support Care Cancer 24:4801-6. 2016....
- Early perfusion changes in patients with recurrent high-grade brain tumor treated with Bevacizumab: preliminary results by a quantitative evaluationAntonello Vidiri
Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging Department, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 31:33. 2012....
- Improving neuro-oncological patients care: basic and practical concepts for nurse specialist in neuro-rehabilitationMichelangelo Bartolo
Neurorehabilitation Unit, IRCCS Neuromed, Mediterranean Neurological Institute, Pozzilli, Isernia, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 31:82. 2012..The purpose of the study is to identify the standard competencies for neurorehabilitation nurses that could be taught by means of a specialization course...
- Epilepsy in the end-of-life phase in patients with high-grade gliomasAndrea Pace
Palliative Home Care Unit for Brain Tumor Patients, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 111:83-6. 2013..Loss of seizure control in the end-of-life phase may influence the quality of life of patients and their caregivers...
- Brain metastases from solid tumors: disease outcome according to type of treatment and therapeutic resources of the treating centerAlessandra Fabi
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 30:10. 2011..To evaluate the therapeutic strategies commonly employed in the clinic for the management of brain metastases (BMs) and to correlate disease outcome with type of treatment and therapeutic resources available at the treating center...
- The role side effects play in the choice of antiepileptic therapy in brain tumor-related epilepsy: a comparative study on traditional antiepileptic drugs versus oxcarbazepineMarta Maschio
Center for Tumor related Epilepsy, Department of Neuroscience and Cervical Facial Pathology, National Institute for Cancer Regina Elena, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144 Roma, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 28:60. 2009..Seizure control doesn't represent the only challenging goal in patients with brain tumor-related epilepsy. Side effects have often taken precedence for patients' quality of life...
- Quantitative analysis of CT-perfusion parameters in the evaluation of brain gliomas and metastasesAnna Maria Di Nallo
Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 28:38. 2009..The perfusion scan provided 11 parametric maps, including Cerebral Blood Volume (CBV), Cerebral Blood Flow (CBF), Average Perfusion (Pmean) and Permeability-surface area product (PS)...
- Treatment of recurrent malignant gliomas with fotemustine monotherapy: impact of dose and correlation with MGMT promoter methylationAlessandra Fabi
Division of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:101. 2009..Also, the impact of O6-methylguanine-DNA methyltransferase (MGMT) promoter methylation status on fotemustine activity has never been explored in the clinical setting...
- End of life issues in brain tumor patientsAndrea Pace
Department of Neuroscience, Palliative Home Care Unit for Brain Tumor Patients, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Via Chianesi 53, Rome, 00144, Italy
J Neurooncol 91:39-43. 2009..Development of home care models of assistance may represent an alternative to in-hospital care for the management of patients dying of brain tumor and may improve the quality of end-of-life care...
- Home rehabilitation for brain tumor patientsA Pace
Palliative Home Care Unit for Brain Tumor Patients, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 26:297-300. 2007..The impact of rehabilitation on quality of life was evaluated with a quality of life questionnaire (EORTC QLQ-C30-BM 20)...
- Chemotherapy in neoplastic meningitisAndrea Pace
Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 60:194-200. 2006..This review summarizes intrathecal and systemic chemotherapeutic options in the treatment of NM and the related toxicities...
- Vitamin E neuroprotection for cisplatin neuropathy: a randomized, placebo-controlled trialA Pace
Department of Neuroscience, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, 00144 Rome, Italy
Neurology 74:762-6. 2010..The present study evaluates the neuroprotective effect of antioxidant supplementation (vitamin E) in patients treated with cisplatin chemotherapy...
- Supportive care in neurooncologyAndrea Pace
Division of Neurology, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Curr Opin Oncol 22:621-6. 2010..On the other hand, some important problems such as rehabilitation, depression, psychological support/communication and end-of-life issues/treatment decisions have been poorly investigated so far...
- Neuroprotective effect of vitamin E supplementation in patients treated with cisplatin chemotherapyAndrea Pace
Neuroscience Department, Experimental Chemotherapy Laboratory, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Clin Oncol 21:927-31. 2003..The aim of this study is to evaluate the neuroprotective effect of antioxidant supplementation with vitamin E in patients treated with cisplatin chemotherapy...
- Oxcarbazepine monotherapy in patients with brain tumor-related epilepsy: open-label pilot study for assessing the efficacy, tolerability and impact on quality of lifeM Maschio
Department of Neuroscience and Cervical Facial Pathology, Center for Tumor related Epilepsy, National Institute for Cancer, Regina Elena, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 106:651-6. 2012..011) and no change over time. Oxcarbazepine seems to be efficacious in controlling seizures and in improving mood in patients with BTRE, but special caution should be taken when it is administered during radiotherapy...
- Early post-operative MRI: correlation with progression-free survival and overall survival time in malignant gliomasA Vidiri
Department of Diagnostic Imaging, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 25:177-82. 2006..The study confirms that early-MR has to be considered an accurate technique for monitoring the extension of malignant glioma surgical resection and shows a good correlation between early-MR findings, PFS and ST...
- A pilot study on the relation between cisplatin neuropathy and vitamin EL Bove
Service of Neurology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 20:277-80. 2001..Given the lack of toxicity of vitamin E, we need to systematically assess the possible neuroprotective role of vitamin E supplementation in patients treated with cisplatin chemotherapy...
- Outcome and tolerability of topiramate in brain tumor associated epilepsyM Maschio
Epilepsy Outpatient Center, Department of Neuroscience and Cervical Facial Pathology, National Institute for Cancer Regina Elena, Via Elio Chianesi 53, Roma, 00144, Italy
J Neurooncol 86:61-70. 2008..Tumor-related seizures are difficult to control with AEDs; the precise reasons for this difficulty are not yet clear. Using TPM, we obtained good seizure control with a low incidence of side effects...
- Lacosamide as add-on in brain tumor-related epilepsy: preliminary report on efficacy and tolerabilityM Maschio
Center for Tumor related Epilepsy, Neurology Unit, Department of Neuroscience and Cervical Facial Pathology, National Institute for Cancer Regina Elena, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144 Rome, Italy
J Neurol 258:2100-4. 2011..However, larger samples are necessary in order to draw definitive conclusions...
- Demyelinating disease in monoclonal gammopathy of undetermined significanceE Galie
Neurology Division, Regina Elena Institute, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 22:337-9. 2003..However, in the end, there is the possibility of casual association with a poorly functioning immune system connected to age...
- Levetiracetam therapy in patients with brain tumour and epilepsyMarta Maschio
Department of Neuroscience and Cervical Facial Pathology, Epilepsy Outpatient s Centre, Regina Elena National Institute for Cancer, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 80:97-100. 2006..Controlled studies on larger populations are warranted to confirm these open observations...
- Temozolomide treatment does not affect topiramate and oxcarbazepine plasma concentrations in chronically treated patients with brain tumor-related epilepsyMarta Maschio
Center for Tumor related Epilepsy, Department of Neuroscience and Cervical Facial Pathology, National Institute for Cancer Regina Elena, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144 Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 90:217-21. 2008..We studied the effect of temozolomide therapy on the disposition of the new antiepileptic drugs topiramate (TPM) or oxcarbazepine (OXC)...
- Quality-of-life assessment in patients who had been surgically treated for cerebellar pilocytic astrocytoma in childhoodAlfredo Pompili
Division of Neurosurgery, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Neurosurg 96:229-34. 2002..The study reported here was aimed at assessing the quality of life (QOL) of these adults, which is defined as a person's sense of well-being, as derived from his or her current experience of life as a whole...
- Metastases to the cerebellum. Results and prognostic factors in a consecutive series of 44 operated patientsAlfredo Pompili
Division of Neurosurgery, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 88:331-7. 2008..Among the prognostic factors, the cerebellar location was never considered, although this results in hydrocephalus, brain stem compression, ataxia, intracranial hypertension...
- Alpha-tocopherol protects against cisplatin-induced toxicity without interfering with antitumor efficacyCarlo Leonetti
Experimental Chemotherapy Laboratory, Regina Elena Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Int J Cancer 104:243-50. 2003....
- Activity and safety of bevacizumab plus fotemustine for recurrent malignant gliomasV Vaccaro
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144 Rome, Italy
Biomed Res Int 2014:351252. 2014..No established chemotherapeutic regimen exists for the treatment of recurrent malignant gliomas (rMGs). Herein, we report the activity and safety results of the bevacizumab (B) plus fotemustine (FTM) combination for the treatment of rMGs...
- Choroid plexus carcinoma in the adult: is there a role for chemotherapy?A Fabi
Division of Medical Oncology A, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
J Exp Clin Cancer Res 24:493-6. 2005..We report a rare case of an adult woman affected by a choroid plexus tumour and a discussion on the therapeutic management of this uncommon adult malignancy...
- Fixed dose-rate gemcitabine as radiosensitizer for newly diagnosed glioblastoma: a dose-finding studyAlessandra Fabi
Division of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Via Elio Chianesi 53, 00144, Rome, Italy
J Neurooncol 87:79-84. 2008..Thus, fixed dose-rate gemcitabine at 175 mg/m(2)/weekly is the recommended regimen for further evaluation in a phase II study that is presently in progress...
- Bone metastasis from glioblastoma multiforme without central nervous system relapse: a case reportAlessandra Fabi
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Anticancer Res 24:2563-5. 2004..We report the case of a man affected by a glioblastoma who had a lumbar spine metastases without any brain relapse after excision of cerebral glioblastoma multiforme and brain radiotherapy...
- Peripheral neurotoxicity of weekly paclitaxel chemotherapy: a schedule or a dose issue?Andrea Pace
Department of Neurology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Rome, Italy
Clin Breast Cancer 7:550-4. 2007..The aim of this study was to assess the incidence of peripheral neurotoxicity in patients affected by advanced breast cancer treated with weekly paclitaxel...
- [Intrathecal chemotherapy treatment of neoplastic meningitis from solid tumors using liposomal cytarabine: experience at the Istituto Regina Elena di Roma]Andrea Pace
Servizio di Neurologia, Istituto Nazionale Tumori Regina Elena IRCCS, Roma
Tumori 93:suppl 9-12. 2007
- The Total Neuropathy Score as an assessment tool for grading the course of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neurotoxicity: comparison with the National Cancer Institute-Common Toxicity ScaleGuido Cavaletti
Dipartimento di Neuroscienze e Tecnologie Biomediche, Universita di Milano Bicocca, Monza, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 12:210-5. 2007..Moreover, both the TNS and the TNSc showed a higher sensitivity to CIPN changes. We, therefore, propose the TNSc as a reliable method for assessing not only the severity but also the changes in CIPN...
- Depression in patients with high-grade glioma: results of the Glioma ProjectAndrea Pace
Neurosurgery 56:E629. 2005
- Multi-center assessment of the Total Neuropathy Score for chemotherapy-induced peripheral neurotoxicityGuido Cavaletti
Department of Neurosciences and Biomedical Technologies, University of Milan Bicocca, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 11:135-41. 2006..The longer time needed to calculate the TNSr and TNSc in comparison to the ECOG or the NCI-CTC 2.0 scales is offset by the more detailed knowledge of the CIPN characteristics...
- Multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 and Zollinger-Ellison syndrome: a prospective study of 107 cases and comparison with 1009 cases from the literatureFathia Gibril
Digestive Diseases Branch, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD 20892 1804, USA
Medicine (Baltimore) 83:43-83. 2004..In this study we have identified a number of important clinical and laboratory features of MEN1/ZES that were not previously appreciated, which should contribute to earlier diagnosis and improve both short- and long-term management...
- Subtemporal trantentorial approachAlfredo Pompili
J Neurosurg 104:854-5; author reply 855-6. 2006
- The cholecystokinin2-receptor mediates calcitonin secretion, gene expression, and proliferation in the human medullary thyroid carcinoma cell line, TTMichael Blaker
Medizinische Klinik I, Zentrum fur Innere Medizin, Universitatsklinikum Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrabetae 52, 20246 Hamburg, Germany
Regul Pept 118:111-7. 2004..Our findings suggest physiological functions for the CCK(2)R in calcitonin-secretion and gene expression as well as a pathophysiological role in MTC proliferation. CCK(2)R antagonists might have therapeutic potential in these tumors...
- Salvage chemotherapy with temozolomide in primary CNS lymphomas: preliminary results of a phase II trialMichele Reni
Department of Radiochemotherapy, S Raffaele Hospital Scientific Institute, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 40:1682-8. 2004..Although some patients had a poor PS and had been heavily pre-treated, temozolomide yielded 26% objective responses and was well tolerated without any major toxicity...
- Weekly epirubicin and paclitaxel with granulocyte colony-stimulating factor support in previously untreated metastatic breast cancer patients: a phase II studyCecilia Nistico
Department of Medical Oncology, Regina Elena National Cancer Institute, Roma, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 18:687-92. 2007....
- Depression in patients with high-grade glioma: results of the Glioma ProjectAndrea Pace
Neurosurgery 56:E873. 2005
- Mild cognitive impairment: the transition to Alzheimer's diseaseAndrea Pace
Emergency Department, Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, Ohio, USA
JAAPA 21:40-4. 2008