Affiliation: National Cancer Research Institute
- Bioindicators in monitoring long term genotoxic impact of oil spill: Haven case studyClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, L go Rosanna Benzi, 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mar Environ Res 62:S287-91. 2006..5 vs 0.7) in a further sampling in 1998. Statistically significant increase of DNA damage and MN frequency was observed in caged oysters in different areas of the wreck in a biomonitoring carried out in 2001...
- Micronucleus assay in aquatic animalsClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, National Institute for Research on Cancer, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mutagenesis 26:205-13. 2011..Further validation studies are needed in order to better characterise the different types of nuclear alterations and to clarify the role of biotic and abiotic factors in interspecies and inter-individual variability...
- Role of micronucleus test in predicting breast cancer susceptibility: a systematic review and meta-analysisF Cardinale
Clinical Epidemiology Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Br J Cancer 106:780-90. 2012..The large majority of them involve the evaluation of induced micronuclei (MN) frequency in peripheral lymphocytes, after the in vitro challenge with ionising radiations...
- Mussel micronucleus cytome assayClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino IST, Istituto Nazionale Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
Nat Protoc 7:1125-37. 2012..The complete procedure requires approximately 10 h for each experimental point/sampling station (ten animals)...
- Assessment of micronuclei induction in peripheral erythrocytes of fish exposed to xenobiotics under controlled conditionsClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, National Institute for Research on Cancer, L go Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Aquat Toxicol 78:S93-8. 2006..The study results revealed that micronucleus test, as an index of cumulative exposure, appears to be a sensitive model to evaluate genotoxic compounds in fish under controlled conditions...
- A molecular epidemiology case control study on pleural malignant mesotheliomaClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, L go Rosanna Benzsi, 10 Genoa, Italy 16132
Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 14:1741-6. 2005..Evidence of cytogenetic damage revealed as micronuclei frequency in mesothelioma cancer patients could be related to exogenous and endogenous cofactors besides asbestos exposure...
- [Biomonitoring of nurses occupationally exposed to antineoplastic drugs: the IMEPA Project]Claudia Bolognesi
Struttura di cancerogenesi ambientale, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova
Epidemiol Prev 29:91-5. 2005..To develop a multiple-endpoint monitoring system in order to assess and minimize long term risks in hospital nurses exposed to antiblastic drugs...
- Genotoxicity biomarkers in Mytilus galloprovincialis: wild versus caged musselsClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Mutat Res 552:153-62. 2004..Endogenous and exogenous factors, such as change of pollutant input levels or compositions, could be considered the cause of such variability...
- Cytogenetic biomonitoring of a floriculturist population in Italy: micronucleus analysis by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) with an all-chromosome centromeric probeClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mutat Res 557:109-17. 2004..These results suggest a potential human hazard associated with the exposure to this class of aneuploidy-inducing carcinogens...
- Genotoxicity of pesticides: a review of human biomonitoring studiesClaudia Bolognesi
Toxicological Evaluation Unit, National Cancer Research Institute, Genova, Italy
Mutat Res 543:251-72. 2003..Data available at present on the effect of genetic polymorphism on susceptibility to pesticides does not allow any conclusion...
- High frequency of micronuclei in peripheral blood lymphocytes as index of susceptibility to pleural malignant mesotheliomaClaudia Bolognesi
National Cancer Research Institute, Toxicological Evaluation, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Cancer Res 62:5418-9. 2002..The presence of high frequency of MN in peripheral blood lymphocytes of patients with MM could represent a useful index of individual susceptibility to this tumor...
- Pleural malignant mesothelioma, genetic susceptibility and asbestos exposureMonica Neri
Unit of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, National Cancer Research Institute, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mutat Res 592:36-44. 2005..In conclusion, these results strengthen the hypothesis that individual susceptibility to MM can be modulated by the interaction between polymorphic genes involved in the metabolism and the intensity of asbestos exposure...
- Micronucleus monitoring of a floriculturist population from western Liguria, ItalyClaudia Bolognesi
Unità di Valutazione Tossicologica, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, IST, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Mutagenesis 17:391-7. 2002..Workers not using protective measures during high exposure activities showed an increase in MN frequency. Our findings suggest a potential genotoxic risk due to pesticide exposure...
- Buccal micronucleus cytome assay: results of an intra- and inter-laboratory scoring comparisonClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino IST Istituto Nazionale Ricerca sul Cancro, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, Genova 16132, Italy, Commonwealth and Scientific Industrial Research Organization, Genome Health and Personalised Nutrition Laboratory, Food and Nutrition Flagship, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia, Institute of Cancer Research, Department of Medicine I, Comprehensive Cancer Center, Medical University of Vienna, Borschkegasse 8a, A 1090 Vienna, Austria
Mutagenesis 30:545-55. 2015....
- Micronuclei and pesticide exposureClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro, Genoa, Italy
Mutagenesis 26:19-26. 2011....
- An increased micronucleus frequency in peripheral blood lymphocytes predicts the risk of cancer in humansStefano Bonassi
Unit of Molecular Epidemiology, National Cancer Research Institute, Genoa, Italy
Carcinogenesis 28:625-31. 2007..The current wide-spread use of the MN assay provides a valuable opportunity to apply this assay in the planning and validation of cancer surveillance and prevention programs...
- The micronucleus assay as a biological dosimeter in hospital workers exposed to low doses of ionizing radiationMonica Ropolo
IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino IST, Istituto Nazionale Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
Mutat Res 747:7-13. 2012..Our study shows the sensitivity of the MN test in the detection of cytogenetic effects of cumulative exposure levels, suggesting the potential usefulness of this assay in providing a biological index in medical surveillance programs...
- Comet and micronucleus assays in zebra mussel cells for genotoxicity assessment of surface drinking water treated with three different disinfectantsClaudia Bolognesi
Unità di Cancerogenesi Ambientale, Istituto Nazionale per la Ricerca sul Cancro Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genova, Italy
Sci Total Environ 333:127-36. 2004..PAA did not induce either clastogenic/aneugenic effects or DNA damage on this bioindicator...
- Occupational exposure to formaldehyde and biological monitoring of Research Institute workersMauro Pala
Department of Epidemiology and Prevention, Unit of Environmental Chemistry and Carcinogenesis, National Cancer Research Institute, Genoa, Italy
Cancer Detect Prev 32:121-6. 2008..The aim of this study was to verify the presence of a relationship between formaldehyde exposure in the work environment with biological markers of exposure and of effect...
- Micronucleus assay in human cells: lymphocytes and buccal cellsClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera, Universitaria San Martino IST Istituto Nazionale Ricerca sul Cancro, Genova, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 1044:191-207. 2013..BMNCyt protocol reports the established method for sample processing, slide preparation, and scoring. ..
- The HUMNxl scoring criteria for different cell types and nuclear anomalies in the buccal micronucleus cytome assay - an update and expanded photogalleryClaudia Bolognesi
Environmental Carcinogenesis Unit, IRCCS Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria San Martino IST Istituto Nazionale Ricerca sul Cancro, Largo Rosanna Benzi 10, Genova, Italy Electronic address
Mutat Res 753:100-13. 2013..humn.org) to standardize the application of micronucleus assay for use in human biomonitoring and to update procedures as knowledge on mechanisms and technical capability improvements. ..
- Genotoxic action of cycloplatam, a new platinum antitumor drug, on mammalian cells in vivo and in vitroArmen Nersesyan
Cancer Research Center, Yerevan, Armenia
Chemotherapy 49:132-7. 2003..In vitro data evidenced that CP is more toxic and genotoxic to human cells than cisplatin. The evidence of a MN-induced activity of an antitumor drug suggests a potential risk for long-time survivors...
- DNA damage in eelpout (Zoarces viviparus) from Göteborg harbourGiada Frenzilli
Department of Human Morphology and Applied Biology, University of Pisa, Via Volta 4, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Mutat Res 552:187-95. 2004..The levels of apoptic cells did not show any marked variations, but a significant recovery was observed in fish from the oil impacted site 5 months after the spill...
- Cytogenetic toxicity of cycloplatam in human lymphocytes: detection by the micronucleus test and fluorescence in situ hybridizationArmen Nersesyan
Cancer Research Center, Yerevan, Armenia
Anticancer Drugs 17:289-95. 2006..Cycloplatam induces one type of MN and it could be considered a clastogenic agent, whereas cisplatin and carboplatin appear to induce both chromosome breakage and numerical chromosomal abnormalities...
- Genetic susceptibility to benzene toxicity in humansSeymour Garte
Graduate School of Public Health, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
J Toxicol Environ Health A 71:1482-9. 2008..The three locus genotype predicted to produce the highest level of toxicity, based on metabolic pathways, produced a significant 5.5-fold higher level of DNA-SSB than did the genotype predicted to yield the least genotoxicity...
- The use of S-phenylmercapturic acid as a biomarker in molecular epidemiology studies of benzenePeter B Farmer
Cancer Biomarkers and Prevention Group, Biocentre, University of Leicester, University Road, Leicester LE1 7RH, UK
Chem Biol Interact 153:97-102. 2005..55 ppm) benzene). All three biomarkers were positively correlated with smoking as measured by urinary cotinine)...
- Biomarkers of exposure and effect in Bulgarian petrochemical workers exposed to benzeneSeymour Garte
School of Public Health, UMDNJ, 330 George St, New Brunswick, NJ 08903, USA
Chem Biol Interact 153:247-51. 2005..NQO1 genotype had a significant effect on SSB. We conclude that the pathways for these metabolites may be distinct from those involved in some forms of genotoxic damage induced by benzene...
- [Occupational exposure to antineoplastic drugs in a hospital setting: biological and environmental monitoring]Anna Barbieri
Servizio di Sicurezza, Igiene e Medicina del Lavoro, Universita di Bologna, Ospedale Sant Orsola Malpighi
Epidemiol Prev 29:87-90. 2005..To estimate the occupational exposure of hospital personnel handling antineoplastics drugs using a highly sensitive and specific analitycal method in biological and environmental samples...
- The micronucleus assay in human buccal cells as a tool for biomonitoring DNA damage: the HUMN project perspective on current status and knowledge gapsNina Holland
School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 7460, USA
Mutat Res 659:93-108. 2008....
- Harmonisation of the micronucleus assay in human buccal cells--a Human Micronucleus (HUMN) project (www.humn.org) initiative commencing in 2007Michael Fenech
CSIRO Human Nutrition, Adelaide, South Australia 5000, Australia
Mutagenesis 22:3-4. 2007
- Intra- and inter-laboratory variation in the scoring of micronuclei and nucleoplasmic bridges in binucleated human lymphocytes. Results of an international slide-scoring exercise by the HUMN projectMichael Fenech
CSIRO Health Sciences and Nutrition, Adelaide, SA, Australia
Mutat Res 534:45-64. 2003....