Genomes and Genes
- First-line 5-fluorouracil/folinic acid, oxaliplatin and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) does not impair the feasibility and the activity of second line treatments in metastatic colorectal cancerG Masi
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Livorno, Italy
Ann Oncol 17:1249-54. 2006..Therefore, we conducted the present analysis to evaluate the outcome of second-line treatments in these 74 patients...
- Continuation or reintroduction of bevacizumab beyond progression to first-line therapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: final results of the randomized BEBYP trialG Masi
Division of Medical Oncology 2, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa
Ann Oncol 26:724-30. 2015..We studied the efficacy of continuing or reintroducing bevacizumab in combination with second-line chemotherapy after progression to bevacizumab-based first-line therapy...
- Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR) gene copy number (GCN) correlates with clinical activity of irinotecan-cetuximab in K-RAS wild-type colorectal cancer: a fluorescence in situ (FISH) and chromogenic in situ hybridization (CISH) analysisMario Scartozzi
Clinica di Oncologia Medica, AO Ospedali Riuniti Università Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
BMC Cancer 9:303. 2009..Based on these findings we investigated the correlation between both FISH and CISH EGFR GCN and clinical outcome in K-RAS wild-type colorectal cancer treated with irinotecan-cetuximab...
- A phase I and pharmacokinetic study of irinotecan given as a 7-day continuous infusion in metastatic colorectal cancer patients pretreated with 5-fluorouracil or raltitrexedGianluca Masi
Department of Oncology, Civil Hospital, Livorno, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 10:1657-63. 2004....
- Treatment with 5-fluorouracil/folinic acid, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan enables surgical resection of metastases in patients with initially unresectable metastatic colorectal cancerGianluca Masi
Department of Oncology, Division of Medical Oncology, Presidio Ospedaliero, Viale Alfieri 36, Livorno, 57124, Italy
Ann Surg Oncol 13:58-65. 2006..The prognosis of unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer might be improved if a radical surgical resection of metastases could be performed after a response to chemotherapy...
- Refractory neuroendocrine tumor-response to liposomal doxorubicin and capecitabineGianluca Masi
UO Oncologia Medica 2 Universitaria, Ospedale Santa Chiara, Pisa, Italy
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 6:670-4. 2009..She initially received a long-acting somatostatin analog (octreotide) and chemotherapy with cisplatin and etoposide, which was ineffective...
- Liver metastases from colorectal cancer: how to best complement medical treatment with surgical approachesGianluca Masi
U O Oncologia Medica Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Future Oncol 7:1299-323. 2011..The multidisciplinary evaluation from the onset and during treatment remains the key element to maximizing the benefit of more intensive treatment modalities...
- Bevacizumab with FOLFOXIRI (irinotecan, oxaliplatin, fluorouracil, and folinate) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: a phase 2 trialGianluca Masi
Unità Operativa Oncologia Medica Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy
Lancet Oncol 11:845-52. 2010..We therefore assessed the safety and activity of the combination of FOLFOXIRI plus bevacizumab in patients with colorectal cancer...
- Triplet combination of fluoropyrimidines, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan in the first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancerGianluca Masi
Department of Oncology, Azienda USL 6 of Livorno, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
Clin Colorectal Cancer 7:7-14. 2008....
- Outcome of second-line treatment after first-line chemotherapy with the GONO FOLFOXIRI regimenLorenzo Fornaro
U O Oncologia Medica 2 Universitaria, Polo Oncologico Area Vasta Nord Ovest, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy
Clin Colorectal Cancer 11:71-6. 2012..We evaluated the outcome of second-line treatments among 196 patients treated with first-line FOLFOXIRI in three consecutive trials conducted by the Gruppo Oncologico Nord Ovest group...
- Biweekly chemotherapy with oxaliplatin, irinotecan, infusional Fluorouracil, and leucovorin: a pilot study in patients with metastatic colorectal cancerAlfredo Falcone
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Civil Hospital, Livorno, Italy
J Clin Oncol 20:4006-14. 2002....
- Long-term outcome of initially unresectable metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) followed by radical surgery of metastasesGianluca Masi
Unità Operativa Oncologia Medica, Azienda USL 6, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
Ann Surg 249:420-5. 2009..The objective of this study was to evaluate the long-term outcome of resected patients and the impact of FOLFOXIRI on perioperative morbidities, mortality, and chemotherapy induced hepatotoxicity...
- Retrospective exploratory analysis of VEGF polymorphisms in the prediction of benefit from first-line FOLFIRI plus bevacizumab in metastatic colorectal cancerFotios Loupakis
U, O, Oncologia Medica 2 Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori and Dipartimento di Oncologia, dei Trapianti e delle Nuove Tecnologie in Medicina, Universita di Pisa, Italy
BMC Cancer 11:247. 2011..Molecular predictors of bevacizumab efficacy in colorectal cancer have not been identified yet. Specific VEGF polymorphisms may affect gene transcription and therefore indirectly influence the efficacy of bevacizumab...
- Randomized trial of two induction chemotherapy regimens in metastatic colorectal cancer: an updated analysisGianluca Masi
U O Oncologia Medica 2 Universitaria Polo Oncologico, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Via Roma, 67 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Natl Cancer Inst 103:21-30. 2011....
- Topoisomerase 1 Promoter Variants and Benefit from Irinotecan in Metastatic Colorectal Cancer PatientsElisa Paolicchi
Unit of Clinical Pharmacology and Pharmacogenetics, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Oncology 91:283-288. 2016..The aim of the present study was to evaluate the correlation between topo-1 single-nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) and clinical outcome in metastatic CRC (mCRC) patients...
- Targeting vascular endothelial growth factor pathway in first-line treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer: state-of-the-art and future perspectives in clinical and molecular selection of patientsFotios Loupakis
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Transplants and New Technologies in Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
Curr Cancer Drug Targets 10:37-45. 2010..This review aims at resuming the state-of-the-art about the role of VEGF pathway inhibitors in the treatment of mCRC and at focusing on the present knowledge about candidate biomarkers as predictors of activity and toxicity...
- Cetuximab plus irinotecan after irinotecan failure in elderly metastatic colorectal cancer patients: clinical outcome according to KRAS and BRAF mutational statusLorenzo Fornaro
U O Oncologia Medica 2 Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Pisa, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 78:243-51. 2011..Scarce data are available about safety and efficacy of cetuximab in elderly metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC) patients...
- Irinotecan in combination with thalidomide in patients with advanced solid tumors: a clinical study with pharmacodynamic and pharmacokinetic evaluationGiacomo Allegrini
U O Oncologia Medica, Presidio Ospedaliero, Viale Alfieri 36, 57124, Livorno, and Division of Pharmacology and Chemotherapy, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 58:585-93. 2006..The main purpose of this study was to investigate possible interactions between CPT-11 pharmacokinetics and thalidomide to explain the previously described gastrointestinal toxicity reduction...
- Phase II study of sequential cisplatin plus 5-fluorouracil/leucovorin (5-FU/LV) followed by irinotecan plus 5-FU/LV followed by docetaxel plus 5-FU/LV in patients with metastatic gastric or gastro-oesophageal junction adenocarcinomaFotios Loupakis
Unit of Medical Oncology 2, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori and Department of Oncology, Transplants and New Technologies in Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma, 67, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 66:559-66. 2010..We aimed to evaluate the activity and the safety profile of sequential chemotherapy with 5-FU-based doublets with C, Ir and D in the first-line treatment of AGC...
- Phase III trial of infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, oxaliplatin, and irinotecan (FOLFOXIRI) compared with infusional fluorouracil, leucovorin, and irinotecan (FOLFIRI) as first-line treatment for metastatic colorectal cancer: the Gruppo Oncologico NorAlfredo Falcone
U O Oncologia Medica, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
J Clin Oncol 25:1670-6. 2007....
- PTEN expression and KRAS mutations on primary tumors and metastases in the prediction of benefit from cetuximab plus irinotecan for patients with metastatic colorectal cancerFotios Loupakis
Department of Oncology, Azienda USL 6, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
J Clin Oncol 27:2622-9. 2009..This retrospective study investigated the role of PTEN loss, AKT phosphorylation, and KRAS mutations on the activity of cetuximab plus irinotecan in patients with metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC)...
- 5-fluorouracil administered as a 48-hour semiintermittent infusion in combination with leucovorin, cisplatin and epirubicin: phase II study in advanced gastric cancer patientsGiacomo Allegrini
Division of Medical Oncology, Department of Oncology, Civil Hospital, Livorno, Italy
Am J Clin Oncol 27:101-5. 2004..9 and 9.8 months, respectively. In conclusion, this regimen is feasible in an outpatient setting with acceptable and manageable toxicities, and it is associated with promising antitumor activity, time to progression, and survival...
- High concordance of KRAS status between primary colorectal tumors and related metastatic sites: implications for clinical practiceDaniele Santini
Department of Oncology, University Campus Bio Medico, Rome, Italy
Oncologist 13:1270-5. 2008..Nevertheless, most experiences were conducted on samples from primaries. The aim of this study was to evaluate the grade of concordance in terms of KRAS status between primaries and related metastases...
- Palliative treatment of unresectable metastatic colorectal cancerLorenzo Fornaro
Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Medical Oncology Unit 2, Italy
Expert Opin Pharmacother 11:63-77. 2010....
- Second-line therapy for advanced pancreatic cancer: evaluation of prognostic factors and review of current literatureChiara Caparello
Polo Oncologico, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy
Future Oncol 12:901-8. 2016..FOLFIRINOX is a standard first-line treatment for advanced pancreatic cancer (aPC) and no accepted second-line regimen exists...
- TAS-102 for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancerLisa Salvatore
a Division of Medical Oncology, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 15:1283-92. 2015..The toxicity was manageable, grade 3 or higher events occurred in 69% of patients in the TAS-102 group versus 52% in the placebo group, with neutropenia the most common event. ..
- EGFR ligands as pharmacodynamic biomarkers in metastatic colorectal cancer patients treated with cetuximab and irinotecanFotios Loupakis
Unit of Medical Oncology 2, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Via Roma 67, 56126, Pisa, Italy
Target Oncol 9:205-14. 2014....
- Anti-HER agents in gastric cancer: from bench to bedsideLorenzo Fornaro
UO Oncologia Medica 2 Universitaria, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy lorenzo fornaro gmail com
Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 8:369-83. 2011..Refining patient selection is essential to maximize the benefit of targeted agents, to avoid significant toxicities and for the development of alternative therapeutic approaches in patients who have nonresponsive disease...
- Cytotoxic triplets plus a biologic: state-of-the-art in maximizing the potential of up-front medical treatment of metastatic colorectal cancerFotios Loupakis
University of Pisa, Department of Oncology, Transplants and New Technologies in Medicine, Pisa, Italy
Expert Opin Biol Ther 11:519-31. 2011..Nowadays, treatment options range from monotherapies with biologics or traditional chemotherapeutic agents to intensive combinations of chemotherapy plus targeted drugs...
- Location of Primary Tumor and Benefit From Anti-Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor Monoclonal Antibodies in Patients With RAS and BRAF Wild-Type Metastatic Colorectal CancerRoberto Moretto
Polo Oncologico, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Oncologist 21:988-94. 2016..Some retrospective analyses suggested that patients with right-sided tumors derive less benefit from anti-epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) antibodies; however, molecular selection in those studies was not extensive...
- Pharmacoepigenetics in gastrointestinal tumors: MGMT methylation and beyondLorenzo Fornaro
Unit of Medical Oncology 2, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Front Biosci (Elite Ed) 8:170-80. 2016..Here we review the current role of MGMT methylation and other epigenetic alterations as potential treatment targets in GI tumors. ..
- First-line chemotherapy for mCRC—a review and evidence-based algorithmChiara Cremolini
Unit of Medical Oncology 2, Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Pisana, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Nat Rev Clin Oncol 12:607-19. 2015..Our examination of the literature led us to propose a new patient-oriented algorithm to guide clinicians' decisions on the best choice of upfront therapy for mCRC. ..
- Bevacizumab in the pre-operative treatment of locally advanced rectal cancer: a systematic reviewLorenzo Fornaro
Lorenzo Fornaro, Virginia Rotella, Editta Baldini, Division of Medical Oncology, Azienda USL2 Lucca, 55100 Lucca, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 20:6081-91. 2014....
- First-line chemotherapy in metastatic colorectal cancer: new approaches and therapeutic algorithms. Always hit hard first?Fotios Loupakis
Department of Oncology, Azienda USL 6, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Livorno, Italy
Curr Opin Oncol 20:459-65. 2008..This review focuses on what should be considered to define the optimal approach to each patient, in particular with regard to the intensiveness of first-line chemotherapy...
- Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy in Patients with Lung Oligometastases from Colorectal CancerFrancesco Pasqualetti
Department of Clinical and Translational Sciences, Division of Radiation Oncology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Anticancer Res 37:315-319. 2017..To assess the role of stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) in pulmonary metastases from colorectal cancer (CRC)...
- Serum LDH predicts benefit from bevacizumab beyond progression in metastatic colorectal cancerFederica Marmorino
Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, University of Pisa, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Via Roma, 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Br J Cancer 116:318-323. 2017..The magnitude of benefit is limited, but no predictors of benefit have been identified...
- EGF-receptor targeting with monoclonal antibodies in colorectal carcinomas: rationale for a pharmacogenomic approachFotios Loupakis
Azienda USL 6 Livorno, Division of Medical Oncology, Viale Alfieri 36, 57100 Livorno, Italy
Pharmacogenomics 9:55-69. 2008..Moving from clinical data suggesting that there could be a subpopulation of CRC patients that are more liable to benefit from anti-EGFR monoclonal antibodies, here we review major studies on determinants of outcome in this field...
- Efficacy of FOLFOXIRI plus bevacizumab in liver-limited metastatic colorectal cancer: A pooled analysis of clinical studies by Gruppo Oncologico del Nord OvestChiara Cremolini
Polo Oncologico, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy University of Pisa, Via Roma 67, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Eur J Cancer . 2016..In conclusion, FOLFOXIRI plus bevacizumab demonstrates efficacy in the conversion setting with considerable long-term outcome results independent of clinical and molecular prognostic factors (NCT00719797, NCT01163396 and NCT02271464)...
- Molecular and pathological characterization of the EZH2 rs3757441 single nucleotide polymorphism in colorectal cancerLorenzo Fornaro
Unit of Medical Oncology 2, Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Istituto Toscano Tumori, Pisa, Italy
BMC Cancer 15:874. 2015..The C/C genotype for the EZH2 rs3757441 single-nucleotide polymorphism (SNP) is linked with poor prognosis in metastatic colorectal cancer (CRC), but molecular and pathological characterization of this SNP is lacking...
- Role of NRAS mutations as prognostic and predictive markers in metastatic colorectal cancerMarta Schirripa
Unit of Medical Oncology 2, University Hospital of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Int J Cancer 136:83-90. 2015..NRAS mutations affect mCRC patients' prognosis and predict lack of response to anti-EGFRs. ..
- Identification of responders to sorafenib in hepatocellular carcinoma: is tumor volume measurement the way forward?Irene Bargellini
Department of Diagnostic and Interventional Radiology, Pisa University Hospital, Pisa, Italy
Oncology 86:191-8. 2014..1, European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL), modified RECIST (mRECIST), tumor density and volume variations - in the early follow-up of SO treatment...
- Clinical, pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamic evaluations of metronomic UFT and cyclophosphamide plus celecoxib in patients with advanced refractory gastrointestinal cancersGiacomo Allegrini
Division of Medical Oncology, Pontedera, Pisa, Italy
Angiogenesis 15:275-86. 2012..To evaluate UFT and cyclophosphamide (CTX) based metronomic chemotherapy plus celecoxib (CXB) for the treatment of patients with heavily pre-treated advanced gastrointestinal malignancies...
- Pharmacogenetic profiling for cetuximab plus irinotecan therapy in patients with refractory advanced colorectal cancerFrancesco Graziano
Medical Oncology Unit, Hospital of Pesaro, Pesaro, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:1427-34. 2008..We investigated possible associations between genetic variants and clinical outcomes of MCRC patients treated with cetuximab-irinotecan salvage therapy...
- Dissecting signaling pathways in hepatocellular carcinoma: new perspectives in medical therapyLorenzo Fornaro
Division of Medical Oncology, Ospedale Campo di Marte, Azienda USL2 Lucca, Lucca, Italy
Future Oncol 10:285-304. 2014..At the same time, identifying clinical and biological factors, which may help selecting patients with higher chances of benefit, is essential in order to hasten drug development and maximize treatment efficacy...
- Minor-but-Complex Liver Resection: An Alternative to Major Resections for Colorectal Liver Metastases Involving the Hepato-Caval ConfluenceLucio Urbani
From the General Surgery Unit LU, MP, RB, AM, VP, PB Oncology Unit GM, CV Hepatology Unit PC Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Unit FF, GL, CL, AP Radiology Unit PB, AL Infectious Disease Unit CT Pathology Unit MC Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria Pisana, Ospedale Nuovo Santa Chiara, Cisanello, Pisa, Italy
Medicine (Baltimore) 94:e1188. 2015..2 months, oncological results were comparable with those of minor resections. MbC hepatectomy lowers the need for MH and allows for the resection of potentially inoperable patients without negative impact on safety and survival...
- Capecitabine and mitomycin C may be an effective treatment option for third-line chemotherapy in advanced colorectal cancerMario Scartozzi
Clinica di Oncologia Medica, Azienda Ospedaliera Ospedali Riuniti, Universita Politecnica delle Marche, Ancona, Italy
Tumori 92:384-8. 2006..We evaluated the activity in terms of time to progression (TTP) of mitomycin C and capecitabine in patients with advanced colorectal cancer who progressed after 2 lines of chemotherapy...
- Pharmacogenetic profiling in patients with advanced colorectal cancer treated with first-line FOLFOX-4 chemotherapyAnnamaria Ruzzo
Institute of Biochemistry G Fornaini, University of Urbino, Urbino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 25:1247-54. 2007....
- Vascular endothelial growth factor levels in immunodepleted plasma of cancer patients as a possible pharmacodynamic marker for bevacizumab activityFotios Loupakis
J Clin Oncol 25:1816-8. 2007
- Planning genetic studies on primary adult-onset dystonia: sample size estimates based on examination of first-degree relativesGiovanni Defazio
Department of Neurologic and Psychiatric Sciences, University of Bari, Bari, Italy
J Neurol Sci 251:29-34. 2006..These sample size estimates suggest that the S-TDT may be feasible, whereas collection of cases for both TDT and ASP approaches would represent a major collaborative challenge...