Affiliation: Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta
- Side and time variability of intraepidermal nerve fiber densityGiuseppe Lauria
From the 3rd Neurology Unit and Skin Biopsy G L, P D, R L, D C, C P S, M T, J S, E D B, Peripheral Neuropathy and Neuropathic Pain Clinic, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan and Neurological Unit S R, C L, R E, G D, University Hospital S Maria della Misericordia, Udine, Italy
Neurology 84:2368-71. 2015..To assess the right-to-left and short-term variability of intraepidermal nerve fiber density (IENFD) at the distal site of the leg...
- The role of sodium channels in painful diabetic and idiopathic neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuroalgology and Headache Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria, 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Curr Diab Rep 14:538. 2014..These compelling features make sodium channel candidate targets for a novel approach to painful diabetic and idiopathic neuropathies, which will hopefully allow a new classification of patients and more effective targeted treatments. ..
- The diagnostic criteria for small fibre neuropathy: from symptoms to neuropathologyGrazia Devigili
Neurological Clinic, University of Ferrara, Italy
Brain 131:1912-25. 2008..6% of them the clinical picture did not change. Spontaneous remission of neuropathic pain occurred in 10.9% of SFN patients, while it worsened in 30.4% of them...
- Diagnosis of neuropathic pain: challenges and possibilitiesGiuseppe Lauria
Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Via Celoria, 11, 20133, Milan, Italy 39 02 2394 2378 39 02 2394 4057
Expert Opin Med Diagn 6:89-93. 2012..This editorial addresses briefly the impact of these developments on the diagnosis of neuropathic pain in clinical practice...
- Skin biopsy in painful and immune-mediated neuropathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRRCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 17:38-45. 2012....
- Small fibre neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Curr Opin Neurol 25:542-9. 2012..This review summarizes the most recent advances in classification, diagnostic assessment, and treatment of small fibre neuropathy (SFN)...
- Small fiber neuropathy: is skin biopsy the holy grail?Giuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Curr Diab Rep 12:384-92. 2012..This paper reviews usefulness and limitations of skin biopsy and the relationship between degeneration and regeneration of small nerve fibers in patients with diabetes and metabolic syndrome...
- Skin biopsy: a new tool for diagnosing peripheral neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, 20133, Milan, Italy
BMJ 334:1159-62. 2007
- Morphometry of dermal nerve fibers in human skinG Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria, 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurology 77:242-9. 2011..We aimed to assess the innervation density of dermal nerves in human skin biopsies by bright-field immunohistochemistry...
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density at the distal leg: a worldwide normative reference studyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 15:202-7. 2010..002). Height, weight, or BMI did not influence the calculated 5th percentile IENF normative densities in both genders. Our study provides IENF density normative reference values at the distal leg to be used in clinical practice...
- Intraepidermal nerve fiber density in rat foot pad: neuropathologic-neurophysiologic correlationGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 10:202-8. 2005..Our study demonstrated that IENF density quantification correlates with SNCV changes and suggests that this might represent a useful outcome measurement in experimental neuropathies...
- Skin biopsy as a diagnostic tool in peripheral neuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Nat Clin Pract Neurol 3:546-57. 2007....
- Erythropoietin in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis: a pilot, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of safety and tolerabilityGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Amyotroph Lateral Scler 10:410-5. 2009..RhEPO treatment was safe and well tolerated in ALS patients. Our results suggest that larger studies are warranted to confirm safety of treatment and to investigate different dose schedule and efficacy...
- Skin biopsy for the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathyG Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Histopathology 54:273-85. 2009..This review discusses the features of skin innervation in hairy and glabrous skin, the functional properties of skin nerve fibres and their changes in peripheral neuropathies...
- Expression of capsaicin receptor immunoreactivity in human peripheral nervous system and in painful neuropathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 11:262-71. 2006..Our findings demonstrated that TRPV1 is normally expressed throughout the nociceptive pathway of PNS and that TRPV1-positive peripheral nerve fibers degenerate in painful neuropathies...
- EFNS guidelines on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of peripheral neuropathyG Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Eur J Neurol 12:747-58. 2005..Training in an established cutaneous nerve laboratory is recommended before using skin biopsy as a diagnostic tool in peripheral neuropathies. Quality control at all levels is mandatory...
- Trigeminal small-fiber sensory neuropathy causes burning mouth syndromeGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Pain 115:332-7. 2005..These findings shed light into the pathogenesis of this common disorder and could contribute to evaluate targeted therapies in patients...
- European Federation of Neurological Societies/Peripheral Nerve Society Guideline on the use of skin biopsy in the diagnosis of small fiber neuropathy. Report of a joint task force of the European Federation of Neurological Societies and the Peripheral NerG Lauria
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Eur J Neurol 17:903-12, e44-9. 2010..Most of the new studies focused on small fiber neuropathy (SFN), a subtype of neuropathy for which the diagnosis was first developed through skin biopsy examination. This revision focuses on the use of this technique to diagnose SFN...
- Epidermal nerve fiber density in sensory ganglionopathies: clinical and neurophysiologic correlationsG Lauria
Department of Neurology, National Neurological Institute C Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Muscle Nerve 24:1034-9. 2001....
- Axonal swellings predict the degeneration of epidermal nerve fibers in painful neuropathiesG Lauria
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Neurology 61:631-6. 2003....
- Four novel cases of periaxin-related neuropathy and review of the literatureC Marchesi
Unit of Clinic of Central and Peripheral Degenerative Neuropathies, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute IRCCS Foundation, Milan, Italy
Neurology 75:1830-8. 2010..Patients with PRX mutations have early-onset autosomal recessive demyelinating Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease (CMT4F) or Déjèrine-Sottas neuropathy (DSN). Only 12 different mutations have been described thus far...
- Does CMT1A homozygosity cause more severe disease with root hypertrophy and higher CSF proteins?D Pareyson
Division of Neurology, Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Neurology 60:1721-2. 2003
- Reliability of clinical outcome measures in Charcot-Marie-Tooth diseaseA Solari
Neuroepidemiology Unit, IRCCS Foundation, C Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Neuromuscul Disord 18:19-26. 2008..All outcome measures appear adequate for CMT assessment. Use of an immobilization device improves foot MVIC reliability, preventing biased findings in patients with greater strength...
- Beneficial effects of PKF275-055, a novel, selective, orally bioavailable, long-acting dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor in streptozotocin-induced diabetic peripheral neuropathyR Bianchi
Neuromuscular Disease Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
J Pharmacol Exp Ther 340:64-72. 2012..The present data support a potential therapeutic effect of PKF275-055 in the treatment of rodent diabetic neuropathy...
- Protective effect of erythropoietin and its carbamylated derivative in experimental Cisplatin peripheral neurotoxicityRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 12:2607-12. 2006..We have successfully identified derivatives of erythropoietin, including carbamylated erythropoietin, which do not raise the hematocrit but retain the neuroprotective action exerted by erythropoietin...
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis causes small fiber pathologyE Dalla Bella
Motor Neuron Diseases Centre, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Eur J Neurol 23:416-20. 2016..Our aim was to address the correlation between small fiber loss and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) for disease onset, phenotype, genotype, duration, severity and sensory findings...
- Neurophysiological diagnosis of acquired sensory ganglionopathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Eur Neurol 50:146-52. 2003..We emphasize that distinct abnormalities allow to differentiate ganglionopathies from axonal sensory neuropathies on routine neurophysiological examination...
- Continuous buprenorphine delivery effect in streptozotocine-induced painful diabetic neuropathy in ratsAnnalisa Canta
Department of Neuroscience and Biomedical Technologies, University of Milan Bicocca, Milan, Italy
J Pain 10:961-8. 2009..Both doses of buprenorphine significantly reversed the diabetes-induced allodynia up to day 7 of treatment. Buprenorphine did not alter either thermal perception or NCV...
- Painful neuropathy in subclinical hypothyroidism: clinical and neuropathological recovery after hormone replacement therapyPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 30:149-51. 2009..Subclinical hypothyroidism is a possible cause of sensory neuropathy and hormone replacement therapy can prompt nerve regeneration...
- Cisplatin-induced peripheral neuropathy: neuroprotection by erythropoietin without affecting tumour growthRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute of Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Eur J Cancer 43:710-7. 2007..0 and 1.5 mg/kg twice a week for four weeks) was neuroprotective without influencing the effectiveness of the treatment or tumour growth. EPO thus appears to be an effective neuroprotectant that does not interfere with tumour treatment...
- Alpha-lipoic acid prevents mitochondrial damage and neurotoxicity in experimental chemotherapy neuropathyGiorgia Melli
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria, 11 20133, Milan, Italy
Exp Neurol 214:276-84. 2008..These findings suggest that alpha-lipoic acid might reduce the risk of developing peripheral nerve toxicity in patients undergoing chemotherapy and encourage further confirmatory clinical trials...
- Tubule and neurofilament immunoreactivity in human hairy skin: markers for intraepidermal nerve fibersGiuseppe Lauria
Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Division of Neuromuscular Diseases, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Muscle Nerve 30:310-6. 2004..Double-staining studies confirmed that antibodies against cytoskeletal markers can be used to reliably stain skin nerve fibers, suggesting that they might provide insight into specific axonal impairment in peripheral neuropathies...
- Docetaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy: protective effects of dihydroprogesterone and progesterone in an experimental modelIlaria Roglio
Department of Endocrinology and Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 14:36-44. 2009..Our study confirmed that neuroactive steroids exert a protective effect on peripheral nerves at different levels, suggesting that they might represent a new therapeutic frontier for patients with chemotherapy-induced neuropathy...
- Altered peripheral myelination in mice lacking GABAB receptorsValerio Magnaghi
Department of Endocrinology and Centre of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133, Milan, Italy
Mol Cell Neurosci 37:599-609. 2008..In summary, our findings implicate GABA(B) receptors in the PNS myelination process and raise the possibility that PNS alterations contribute to the sensory phenotypes of GABA(B1)-deficient mice...
- "Burning tongue" and "burning tip": the diagnostic challenge of the burning mouth syndromePaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, IRCCS Foundation Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Clin J Pain 26:528-32. 2010..To investigate the clinical features of burning mouth syndrome (BMS) in a large cohort of patients and to correlate them with the results of tongue biopsy...
- The Multiple Sclerosis Knowledge Questionnaire: a self-administered instrument for recently diagnosed patientsA Giordano
Unit of Neuroepidemiology, Foundation IRCCS Neurological Institute C Besta, Milan, Italy
Mult Scler 16:100-11. 2010..In conclusion, the MSKQ has good clinimetric properties and is sensitive to an educational intervention. We propose the MSKQ as a brief instrument for clinical practice and research...
- The neuroprotective effect of erythropoietin in docetaxel-induced peripheral neuropathy causes no reduction of antitumor activity in 13762 adenocarcinoma-bearing ratsIlaria Cervellini
Department of Molecular Biochemistry and Pharmacology, Mario Negri Institute for Pharmacological Research, Milan, Italy
Neurotox Res 18:151-60. 2010..Since CINP induced by DOCE reproduces the clinical utility of taxane in humans, the findings reported might provide a basis for investigating EPO as a neuroprotective agent in patients receiving therapy with DOCE...
- Short- and intermediate-term efficacy of buprenorphine TDS in chronic painful neuropathiesPaola Penza
Neuromuscular Diseases Unit, Fondazione IRCCS National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
J Peripher Nerv Syst 13:283-8. 2008..In our study, which needs to be confirmed by a controlled trial, buprenorphine TDS induced clinically meaningful pain relief in about 40% of patients with chronic painful neuropathy, suggesting its use as a third-line treatment...
- Temporal trend and factors associated with delayed hospital admission of stroke patientsI Casetta
Section of Neurology, Department of Medical Surgical Sciences of Communication and Behavior, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
Neuroepidemiology 18:255-64. 1999..The finding that earliest admissions for stroke comprised patients with a previous history of cerebrovascular disease suggests that an education campaign might highlight the importance of an early admission...
- Ascorbic acid in Charcot-Marie-Tooth disease type 1A (CMT-TRIAAL and CMT-TRAUK): a double-blind randomised trialDavide Pareyson
Clinic of Central and Peripheral Degenerative Neuropathies Unit, Department of Clinical Neurosciences, Istituto di Ricovero e Cura a Carattere Scientifico IRCCS Foundation, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Lancet Neurol 10:320-8. 2011..However, in three 1-year trials, ascorbic acid had no benefit in human beings. We did a multicentre 2-year trial to test the efficacy and tolerability of ascorbic acid in patients with CMT1A...
- Cranial nerve involvement in CMT disease type 1 due to early growth response 2 gene mutationD Pareyson
Departments of Neurology, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Neurology 54:1696-8. 2000..The authors describe a unique combination of cranial nerve deficits in one member of a Charcot-Marie-Tooth 1 family carrying an EGR2 mutation (Arg381His). This finding further supports the role of EGR2 in cranial nerve development...
- Small fibre neuropathiesGiuseppe Lauria
Immunology and Muscular Pathology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Curr Opin Neurol 18:591-7. 2005..To summarize the recent advances in aetiology, diagnostic assessment, and treatment of small fibre neuropathies...
- Neuroactive steroids and peripheral neuropathyIlaria Roglio
Department of Endocrinology and Center of Excellence on Neurodegenerative Diseases, University of Milan, Via Balzaretti 9, 20133, Milan, Italy
Brain Res Rev 57:460-9. 2008..Therefore, neuroactive steroids, pharmacological agents able to increase their local synthesis and synthetic ligands for their receptors have a promising potential for the treatment of different forms of peripheral neuropathy...
- Sensory neuron diseasesAngelo Sghirlanzoni
Neuro Oncology Unit, National Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Lancet Neurol 4:349-61. 2005..Here we propose a comprehensive approach to the diagnosis of acquired and hereditary SND and discuss clinical, genetic, neurophysiological, neuroradiological, and neuropathological assessments...
- Skin biopsy in the management of peripheral neuropathyClaudia Sommer
Department of Neurology, University of Wurzburg, Germany
Lancet Neurol 6:632-42. 2007..We also review the association between morphological measures of skin innervation and function and the limits of this method in the aetiological classification of peripheral neuropathies...
- Erythropoietin both protects from and reverses experimental diabetic neuropathyRoberto Bianchi
Mario Negri Institute of Pharmacological Research, 20157 Milan, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 101:823-8. 2004..These observations suggest that administration of rhEPO or its analogues may be useful in the treatment of diabetic neuropathy...
- Botulinum toxin treatment for oropharyngeal dysphagia associated with diabetic neuropathyDomenico A Restivo
Division of Endocrinology, Garibaldi Hospital, Via Palermo 636, Catania I 95121, Catania, Italy
Diabetes Care 29:2650-3. 2006..In the present study, we evaluated the efficacy of BoNT/A injections into the CP muscle in diabetic patients with severe oropharyngeal dysphagia associated with diabetic autonomic and/or somatic peripheral neuropathy...
- IgM deposits on skin nerves in anti-myelin-associated glycoprotein neuropathyRaffaella Lombardi
Neurobiology Unit, Department of Research and Neurology, University Hospital of Basel, Basel, Switzerland
Ann Neurol 57:180-7. 2005..In anti-MAG neuropathy, both large- and small-diameter nerve fibers are affected, and specific deposits of IgM are found on skin myelinated nerve fibers...
- Case 38-2001: paraneoplastic encephalomyelitis and sensory ganglioneuropathyGiuseppe Lauria
N Engl J Med 346:1029-30; author reply 1029-30. 2002