Affiliation: Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta
- The role of the thalamus in vigilance and epileptogenic mechanismsG Avanzini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 111:S19-26. 2000..The most relevant results of studies on the anatomo-physiological substrate of the thalamic rhythmogenic mechanisms responsible for sleep spindles and spike-wave discharges are reviewed...
- Suppressive efficacy by a commercially available blue lens on PPR in 610 photosensitive epilepsy patientsGiuseppe Capovilla
Epilepsy Center, Department of Child Neuropsychiatry, C Poma Hospital, Mantova, Italy
Epilepsia 47:529-33. 2006..Nonpharmacologic treatment using blue sunglasses is effective and safe in controlling photosensitivity, but large series of patients have never been studied...
- Are there really "epileptogenic" mechanisms or only corruptions of "normal" plasticity?Giuliano Avanzini
Fondazione I RC C S Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Adv Exp Med Biol 813:95-107. 2014....
- The system epilepsies: a pathophysiological hypothesisGiuliano Avanzini
Department of Neurophysiology, IRCCS Foundation Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 53:771-8. 2012..The SystE hypothesis may drive pathophysiologic and clinical studies that can advance our understanding of epilepsies and can open up new therapeutic perspectives...
- Musicogenic seizuresGiuliano Avanzini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 999:95-102. 2003..The implementations of the results of ongoing investigations on brain processing of musical information will advance our understanding of the mechanisms responsible for the transition from interictal to ictal phases of epilepsy...
- Molecular biology of channelopathies: impact on diagnosis and treatmentGiuliano Avanzini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Expert Rev Neurother 4:519-39. 2004....
- Prospects for novel antiepileptic drugsGiuliano Avanzini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, I 20133, Milano, Italy
Curr Opin Investig Drugs 4:805-14. 2003....
- Cellular biology of epileptogenesisGiuliano Avanzini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Lancet Neurol 2:33-42. 2003..better understanding of the role of these epileptogenic mechanisms will promote new advances in the development of selective and targeted antiepileptic drugs...
- Epileptogenic channelopathies: experimental models of human pathologiesGiuliano Avanzini
Department ofNeurophysiopathology, Istituto Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 48:51-64. 2007..These findings underscore the need for further studies to address the mechanisms involved in mutated-channel dysfunctions...
- ICTAL EEG fast activity in West syndrome: from onset to outcomeFerruccio Panzica
C Besta Foundation Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 48:2101-10. 2007..To characterize the fast EEG activities associated with infantile spasms in West syndrome, and their value in predicting the recurrence and localization of late seizures...
- Rhythmic cortical myoclonus in Niemann-Pick disease type CLaura Canafoglia
Department of Neurophysiology and Epileptology, Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Mov Disord 21:1453-6. 2006..EEG-EMG frequency analysis (better than jerk-locked back-averaging) demonstrated the cortical origin of the myoclonus. Our observations indicate that cortical myoclonus may occur as the main symptom of NPC...
- Focal epilepsies in adult patients attending two epilepsy centers: classification of drug-resistance, assessment of risk factors, and usefulness of "new" antiepileptic drugsIsabella Gilioli
C Besta Foundation Neurological Institute, Epilepsy Center, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 53:733-40. 2012..To classify the grade of antiepileptic drug (AED) resistance in a cohort of patients with focal epilepsies, to recognize the risk factors for AED resistance, and to estimate the helpfulness of "new-generation" AEDs...
- The chicken with four legs: a case of semantic amnesia and cryptogenic epilepsyAnna R Giovagnoli
Neuropsychology Laboratory, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience, Milan, Italy
Epilepsy Behav 14:261-8. 2009....
- Temporal lobe epilepsy: neuropathological and clinical correlations in 243 surgically treated patientsLaura Tassi
Epilepsy Surgery Centre C Munari, Milan, Italy
Epileptic Disord 11:281-92. 2009..FS are particularly relevant in patients with focal cortical dysplasia and HS...
- Do seizures and epileptic activity worsen epilepsy and deteriorate cognitive function?Giuliano Avanzini
Department of Neurophysiology, IRCCS Foundation Neurological Institute Carlo Besta, Milano, Italy
Epilepsia 54:14-21. 2013..The results of EE studies challenge the idea of a common seizure-dependent mechanism for epilepsy progression/intellectual deterioration. ..
- A pathogenetic hypothesis of Unverricht-Lundborg disease onset and progressionSilvana Franceschetti
Division of Neurophysiology and Epileptology, Neurological Institute C Besta via Caloria 11, 20133 Milan, Milan, Italy
Neurobiol Dis 25:675-85. 2007..Furthermore, a greater degree of neuronal damage was observed in CSTB-deficient than in WT mice after seizures of identical grade, indicating increased susceptibility to seizure-induced cell death...
- Phenytoin inhibits the persistent sodium current in neocortical neurons by modifying its inactivation propertiesElisa Colombo
Department of Neurophysiopathology, Epilepsy Center, Foundation IRCCS Neurological Institute C Besta, Milan, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e55329. 2013..These properties set the conditions of efficacy and the limits of PHT as I(NaP) inhibitor...
- Enhanced frontocentral EEG connectivity in photosensitive generalized epilepsies: a partial directed coherence studyGiulia Varotto
Department of Neurophysiology, Epilepsy Centre, C Besta Neurological Institute IRCCS Foundation, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 53:359-67. 2012....
- Potentially epileptogenic dysfunction of cortical NMDA- and GABA-mediated neurotransmission in Otx1-/- miceG Sancini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 14:1065-74. 2001..Prominent postsynaptic inhibitory potentials may also act as a further pro-epileptogenic event by synchronizing abnormal excitatory potentials...
- Effects in neocortical neurons of mutations of the Na(v)1.2 Na+ channel causing benign familial neonatal-infantile seizuresPaolo Scalmani
Department of Neurophysiopathology, Istituto Neurologico C Besta, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Neurosci 26:10100-9. 2006..Thus, the pathogenic mechanism of BFNIS mutations is neuronal hyperexcitability caused by increased Na+ current...
- Epileptic and imaging findings in perinatal hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy with ulegyriaFlavio Villani
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico, Via Celoria 11, Milan, Italy
Epilepsy Res 55:235-43. 2003..Drug refractoriness was an almost constant correlate of this form of symptomatic epilepsy...
- Na+-activated K+ current contributes to postexcitatory hyperpolarization in neocortical intrinsically bursting neuronsSilvana Franceschetti
National Neurological Institute C Besta, 20133 Milan and Department of Physiological and Pharmacological Sciences, University of Pavia, 27100 Pavia, Italy
J Neurophysiol 89:2101-11. 2003....
- Third conference on epileptogenesis. S Servolo Island, Venice, Italy, July 27-30, 2005Marco de Curtis
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milano, Itlay
Epilepsia 47:1243-6. 2006
- Unilateral frontal lobe epilepsy affects executive functions in childrenD Riva
Developmental Neurology Division, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, I 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 26:263-70. 2005..No side-specific deficits were detected, while an earlier onset of epilepsy and the duration of the disorder, but not the seizures frequency, were found to correspond with more severe deficits in some specific frontal lobe functions...
- Event-related potential (ERP) markers of melodic processing: The N2 component is modulated by structural complexity, not by melodic 'meaningfulness'L Minati
Scientific Department, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Brain Res Bull 83:23-8. 2010..04) elevated for random notes as compared to tonal melodies. This may be related to attentional modulation, or more specifically to associative components of auditory processing...
- Subcortical nodular heterotopia: a functional MRI and somatosensory evoked potentials studyF Villani
Division of Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy Centre, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, I 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 25:225-9. 2004....
- Preserved memory in temporal lobe epilepsy patients after surgery for low-grade tumour. A pilot studyA R Giovagnoli
Department of Clinical Neuroscience, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, I 20133, Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 28:251-8. 2007..In patients with TLE and low-grade tumour, temporal lobe surgery does not necessarily induce memory deficits. Improvement of memory abilities subserved by the unoperated temporal lobe may be expected...
- Interictal spikes in focal epileptogenesisM De Curtis
Department of Experimental Neurophysiology, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Prog Neurobiol 63:541-67. 2001....
- Positive response to immunomodulatory therapy in an adult patient with Rasmussen's encephalitisF Villani
Division of Clinical Neurophysiology and Epileptology, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Neurology 56:248-50. 2001..High-dose corticosteroids and plasmapheresis were not effective. She improved with high-dose therapy with human IV immunoglobulin...
- Neurophysiology of myoclonus and progressive myoclonus epilepsiesGiuliano Avanzini
IRCCS Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milano, Italy
Epileptic Disord 18:11-27. 2016..The neurophysiological techniques provide investigators and clinicians with an invaluable information to define the type of myoclonus and its generating circuitry thus substantially contributing in the diagnosis and management of PMEs...
- Vagal nerve stimulation: relationship between outcome and electroclinical seizure patternMarina Casazza
Division of Neurophysiopathology, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milano, Italy
Seizure 15:198-207. 2006..These results of this small series of patients suggest that VNS might be more suitable in patients with temporal rather than frontal or central seizure onset. Further studies are required to support this hypothesis...
- Photosensitive epilepsy: spectral and coherence analyses of EEG using 14Hz intermittent photic stimulationE Visani
Unit of Neurophysiopathology Epilepsy Centre, Fondazione IRCCS Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Via Celoria 11, Milano, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 121:318-24. 2010..To evaluate the EEG recorded in photosensitive idiopathic generalised epilepsy (IGE) patients at rest and during 14Hz IPS, frequency capable of inducing photoparoxysmal responses (PPRs)...
- Layer-specific properties of the persistent sodium current in sensorimotor cortexP Aracri
C Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
J Neurophysiol 95:3460-8. 2006....
- Morphological organization of somatosensory cortex in Otx1(-/-) miceB Cipelletti
Dipartimento Neurofisiologia Sperimentale, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milano, Italy
Neuroscience 115:657-67. 2002..The defects found in the cortical GABAergic system of the Otx1(-/-) mouse can plausibly explain the cortical hyperexcitability that produces seizures in these animals...
- Immunocytochemical investigation on dysplastic human tissue from epileptic patientsR Spreafico
Department of Neurophysiology, National Neurological Institute C Besta, Milano, Italy
Epilepsy Res 32:34-48. 1998....
- Sensorimotor cortex excitability in Unverricht-Lundborg disease and Lafora body diseaseL Canafoglia
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, IRCCS National Neurological Institute C Besta, Milano, Italy
Neurology 63:2309-15. 2004..To investigate whether Unverricht-Lundborg disease (ULD) and Lafora body disease (LBD) can be differentiated on the basis of their neurophysiologic profiles...
- Movement-related desynchronization-synchronization (ERD/ERS) in patients with Unverricht-Lundborg diseaseE Visani
Department of Neurophysiology C Besta National Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Neuroimage 33:161-8. 2006..The changes involving beta-ERS had a significant relationship with the functional disability in individual patients and might play a pathogenic role in the motor dysfunction...
- Altered EEG resting-state effective connectivity in drug-naïve childhood absence epilepsyFabio Rotondi
Department of Neurophysiology, Epilepsy Centre, C Besta Neurological Institute IRCCS Foundation, Milan, Italy Department of Informatics, Bioengineering, Robotics and System Engineering DIBRIS, University of Genova, Genova, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 127:1130-7. 2016..We investigated interictal EEG activity in patients with childhood absence seizures with the aim of detecting markers of network defects generating "idiopathic" hyperexcitability in this form of epilepsy...
- Part I: Cerebral organization of music-related functions. IntroductionGiuliano Avanzini
Department of Experimental Research and Diagnostics, National Neurologic Institute C Besta, Milan, Italy
Ann N Y Acad Sci 999:1-3. 2003
- Is tolerance to antiepileptic drugs clinically relevant?Giuliano Avanzini
Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 47:1285-7. 2006
- Immune-mediated epilepsiesTiziana Granata
Department of Child Neurology, Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 52:5-11. 2011..We highlight future directions for preclinical and clinical research that are required for improved diagnosis and treatment of immune-mediated epilepsies...
- Dealing with drug dependency: a commentary on ILAE's partnership with the pharmaceutical industryGiuliano Avanzini
Istituto Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milano, Italy
Epilepsia 48:1821-4. 2007
- Protein-kinase C-dependent phosphorylation inhibits the effect of the antiepileptic drug topiramate on the persistent fraction of sodium currentsG Curia
Department of Neurophysiology, Laboratory of Experimental Epileptology, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Neuroscience 127:63-8. 2004..The channel phosphorylation that may occur in cortical neurons as a result of physiological or pathological (e.g. epileptic) events can modulate the action of TPM on Na(+) currents...
- Epileptic phenotypes associated with mitochondrial disordersL Canafoglia
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Epilepsy Center, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C. Besta, Milan, Italy
Neurology 56:1340-6. 2001..Except for those with an A8344G mitochondrial DNA point mutation, most of our patients had partial seizures or EEG signs indicating a focal origin...
- The use of immunoglobulins in the treatment of human epilepsyF Villani
Division of Clinical Neurophysiology and Epilepsy Center, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, I 20123 Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 23:S33-7. 2002....
- Clinical and genetic findings in 26 Italian patients with Lafora diseaseSilvana Franceschetti
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico C Besta, Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 47:640-3. 2006..Genotype-phenotype correlations suggested that EPM2B patients show a slower course of the disease, with delayed age at death, compared with EPM2A patients. We herein report clinical and genetic findings of 26 Italian LD patients...
- Rhythmic cortical myoclonus in a case of HIV-related encephalopathyLaura Canafoglia
Department of Clinical Neurophysiology Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milan, Italy
Mov Disord 18:1533-8. 2003....
- Semantic memory in partial epilepsy: verbal and non-verbal deficits and neuroanatomical relationshipsAnna Rita Giovagnoli
Laboratory of Neuropsychology, Department of Neurology and Neuropathology, Carlo Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Neuropsychologia 43:1482-92. 2005..The semantic memory impairment may reflect damage in the lateral and mesial temporal lobe regions that impair neocortical functions in storing and retrieving information or hippocampal functions in processing meaningful stimuli...
- AlphaCaMKII and NMDA-receptor subunit expression in epileptogenic cortex from human periventricular nodular heterotopiaGiorgio Battaglia
Molecular Neuroanatomy Laboratory, Department of Experimental Neurophysiology, C Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Epilepsia 43:209-16. 2002..To understand the cellular mechanisms underlying its intrinsic hyperexcitability, we investigated the expression of glutamate-receptor subunits and related proteins in four human patients affected by PNH...
- Neurophysiological features in relation to clinical signs in clinically diagnosed corticobasal degenerationD Monza
Department of Neurology I, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, I 20133 Milan, Italy
Neurol Sci 24:16-23. 2003..Patients with evident parkinsonism had greater SEP N30 (frontal) abnormalities, while most patients with marked paresis had slower MEP times...
- Spectral properties of EEG fast activity ictal discharges associated with infantile spasmsF Panzica
Department of Neurophysiology, C Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 110:593-603. 1999..The aim of this study was to evaluate the characteristics of the ictal EEG event accompanying infantile spasms...
- Phosphorylation of sodium channels mediated by protein kinase-C modulates inhibition by topiramate of tetrodotoxin-sensitive transient sodium currentG Curia
Department of Neurophysiology, Laboratory of Experimental Epileptology, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Milano, Italy
Br J Pharmacol 150:792-7. 2007..We investigated the consequences of phosphorylation of the sodium channel on the effect of topiramate on tetrodotoxin (TTX)-sensitive transient Na(+) current (I(NaT))...
- Progressive myoclonus epilepsies: an electroclinical, biochemical, morphological and molecular genetic study of 17 casesS Franceschetti
Neurological Institute C Besta, Milan, Italy
Acta Neurol Scand 87:219-23. 1993..Molecular genetical investigation of mtDNA demonstrated the reported heteroplasmic point mutation at nt 8344 of mtDNA in the two MERRF patients, while it was negative in all of the others...
- Movement-activated myoclonus in genetically defined progressive myoclonic epilepsies: EEG-EMG relationship estimated using autoregressive modelsF Panzica
National Neurological Institute C Besta, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 114:1041-52. 2003..To study electroencephalography-electromyography (EEG-EMG) relationships in patients with different forms of progressive myoclonic epilepsies (PME)...
- FVEPs in Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease: waveforms and interaction with the periodic EEG pattern assessed by single sweep analysisE Visani
Department of Neurophysiology, C Besta National Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133 Milan, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 116:895-904. 2005..To characterise flash visual evoked potentials (FVEPs) in 20 patients with Creutzfeldt-Jacob disease (CJD), and assess the relationships between spontaneous EEG patterns and the responses to individual stimuli...
- Intrauterine growth in the offspring of epileptic women: a prospective multicenter studyD Battino
Carlo Besta Neurological Institute, Milan, Italy
Epilepsy Res 36:53-60. 1999....
- Cortical myoclonus in Janz syndromeF Panzica
Department of Neurophysiology, C. Besta Neurological Institute, Via Celoria 11, 20133, Milan, Italy
Clin Neurophysiol 112:1803-9. 2001....
- Anemone toxin (ATX II)-induced increase in persistent sodium current: effects on the firing properties of rat neocortical pyramidal neuronesM Mantegazza
Laboratorio di Neurofisiologia Sperimentale, Istituto Nazionale Neurologico Carlo Besta, Milano, Italy
J Physiol 507:105-16. 1998..We suggest that IB and, to a lesser extent, RSNA neurones are endowed with a relatively large fraction of INa,p which, in physiological conditions, is sufficient to sustain bursting in IB but not in RSNA neurones...
- Is refractory epilepsy preventable?Santiago Arroyo
Epilepsy Unit, Hospital Clinic i Provincial, Barcelona, Spain
Epilepsia 43:437-44. 2002..The early initiation of aggressive therapy may improve outcome and overall quality of life...
- Fourth conference on epileptogenesis, May 23-26, 2007, Pisa, ItalyYuri Bozzi
Istituto di Neuroscienze, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Pisa, Italy
Epilepsia 49:929-34. 2008
- Sensorimotor organization in double cortex syndromeJeffrey D Jirsch
Montreal Neurological Institute and Hospital, Department of Neurology, McGill University, Quebec, Canada
Hum Brain Mapp 27:535-43. 2006..The recruitment of bilateral primary areas and higher-order association normotopic cortices indicates the need for a widespread network to perform simple tasks...
- Are epilepsy classifications based on epileptic syndromes and seizure types outdated?Jerome Engel
Epileptic Disord 8:159-60. 2006