Affiliation: Institute of Biomedical Engineering
- Characterization of beta-cell function impairment in first-degree relatives of type 2 diabetic subjects: modeling analysis of 24-h triple-meal testsAndrea Mari
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Padua, Italy
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 288:E541-6. 2005....
- Mechanisms of the incretin effect in subjects with normal glucose tolerance and patients with type 2 diabetesAndrea Mari
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padova, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e73154. 2013....
- Comparative evaluation of simple insulin sensitivity methods based on the oral glucose tolerance testA Mari
Metabolic Modelling Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padova, Italy
Diabetologia 48:748-51. 2005..We compared five surrogate insulin sensitivity (IS) methods against the euglycaemic-hyperinsulinaemic clamp. These methods were the homeostasis model assessment (HOMA) and four methods based on the OGTT (OGIS, MCRest, ISIcomp, SIORAL)...
- Beta-cell function in mild type 2 diabetic patients: effects of 6-month glucose lowering with nateglinideAndrea Mari
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127 Padua, Italy
Diabetes Care 28:1132-8. 2005....
- Vildagliptin, a dipeptidyl peptidase-IV inhibitor, improves model-assessed beta-cell function in patients with type 2 diabetesA Mari
National Research Center, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127 Padova, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:4888-94. 2005....
- Beta-cell function assessment from modelling of oral tests: an effective approachA Mari
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padua, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 10:77-87. 2008....
- Assessment of insulin secretion in relation to insulin resistanceAndrea Mari
Metabolic Modeling Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padova, Italy
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 8:529-33. 2005..This review will discuss these concepts and the aspects that should be considered for an appropriate solution to the problem...
- Restoration of normal glucose tolerance in severely obese patients after bilio-pancreatic diversion: role of insulin sensitivity and beta cell functionA Mari
CNR Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127, Padua, Italy
Diabetologia 49:2136-43. 2006..The aim of this study was to analyse the mechanisms underlying the improvement in glucose tolerance seen in morbidly obese patients undergoing bilio-pancreatic diversion (BPD)...
- Characterization of the influence of vildagliptin on model-assessed -cell function in patients with type 2 diabetes and mild hyperglycemiaAndrea Mari
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, I 35127 Padova, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:103-9. 2008..This study was conducted to characterize the effects of vildagliptin on beta-cell function in patients with type 2 diabetes and mild hyperglycemia...
- Effects of the long-acting human glucagon-like peptide-1 analog liraglutide on beta-cell function in normal living conditionsAndrea Mari
Institute of Biomedical Engineering CNR, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127 Padova, Italy
Diabetes Care 30:2032-3. 2007
- Mathematical modeling shows exenatide improved beta-cell function in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin or metformin and a sulfonylureaA Mari
National Research Council Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Padova, Italy
Horm Metab Res 38:838-44. 2006..This model suggests exenatide improved beta-cell function in patients with type 2 diabetes treated with metformin+/-a sulfonylurea...
- Relationships between insulin secretion after intravenous and oral glucose administration in subjects with glucose tolerance ranging from normal to overt diabetesA Mari
C N R Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Padua, Italy
Diabet Med 25:671-7. 2008..To elucidate this phenomenon, we examined the relationships between fasting plasma glucose (FPG) and the secretory responses to an IVGTT and an oral glucose test (OGTT)...
- Impaired beta cell glucose sensitivity rather than inadequate compensation for insulin resistance is the dominant defect in glucose intoleranceA Mari
ISIB CNR, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127 Padua, Italy
Diabetologia 53:749-56. 2010..e. impaired glucose tolerance or impaired fasting glucose...
- Influence of hyperinsulinemia and insulin resistance on in vivo β-cell function: their role in human β-cell dysfunctionAndrea Mari
National Research Council Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Padova, Italy
Diabetes 60:3141-7. 2011..We have tested whether insulin exposure and insulin sensitivity modulate β-cell function in subjects with normal glucose tolerance (NGT) and whether they contribute to dysglycemia in impaired glucose regulation (IGR)...
- Value of the intravenous and oral glucose tolerance tests for detecting subtle impairments in insulin sensitivity and beta-cell function in former gestational diabetesA Tura
Institute of Biomedical Engineering, CNR, Padua, Italy
Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 69:237-43. 2008..Our aim was to study insulin sensitivity and beta-cell function with two independent glucose tolerance tests in fGDM women divided according to their glucose tolerance...
- A model-based method for assessing insulin sensitivity from the oral glucose tolerance testA Mari
Institute of Systems Science and Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padova, Italy
Diabetes Care 24:539-48. 2001..We used a glucose-insulin model to derive an OGTT-based IS (oral glucose insulin sensitivity [OGIS]) index, which predicts glucose clearance in a glucose clamp. We validated OGIS against clamp data...
- Impaired beta-cell function in lean normotolerant former gestational diabetic womenA Tura
Metabolic Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, CNR, Padua, Italy
Eur J Clin Invest 36:22-8. 2006..Former gestational diabetes (fGDM) constitutes a risk condition for the development of Type 2 diabetes. Former gestational diabetes is often characterized by obesity and hyperglycaemia, which may be concomitant and independent risk factors...
- Meal and oral glucose tests for assessment of beta -cell function: modeling analysis in normal subjectsAndrea Mari
Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche Institute of Systems Science and Biomedical Engineering, 35127 Padua, Italy
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 283:E1159-66. 2002..With cautious interpretation, a 2-h MT or a standard OGTT can be used as surrogates of 24-h tests in assessing spontaneous beta-cell function...
- Methods for clinical assessment of insulin sensitivity and beta-cell functionGiovanni Pacini
Metabolic Modeling Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, Padua, Italy
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 17:305-22. 2003..Particular attention is paid to the oral glucose tolerance test, which has recently received considerable interest. The role of mathematical models in IS and BCF assessment is also emphasized...
- Assessing insulin secretion by modeling in multiple-meal tests: role of potentiationAndrea Mari
C N R National Research Council Institute of Systems Science and Biomedical Engineering, Padua, Italy
Diabetes 51:S221-6. 2002..Use of the model in patients with type 2 diabetes retrieves known defects in insulin secretion but also uncovers new facets of beta-cell dysfunction...
- Visceral fat in hypertension: influence on insulin resistance and beta-cell functionAnna Maria Sironi
National Research Council, Institute of Clinical Physiology, Area of research, Via Moruzzi, 1 S Cataldo, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Hypertension 44:127-33. 2004..Such visceral adiposity is quantitatively related to both height of blood pressure and severity of insulin resistance, but has no impact on the dynamics of beta-cell function...
- Mathematical modeling in glucose metabolism and insulin secretionAndrea Mari
Institute of Systems Science and Biomedical Engineering, National Research Councl, Padova, Italy
Curr Opin Clin Nutr Metab Care 5:495-501. 2002..The available models are illustrated, and their common aspects and differences discussed...
- Differential effects of once-weekly glucagon-like peptide-1 receptor agonist dulaglutide and metformin on pancreatic β-cell and insulin sensitivity during a standardized test meal in patients with type 2 diabetesA Mari
National Research Council, Institute of Neuroscience, Padova, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 18:834-9. 2016..In conclusion, dulaglutide improves postprandial glycaemic control after a standardized test meal by enhancing β-cell function, while metformin exerts a greater effect on insulin sensitivity. ..
- Imeglimin increases glucose-dependent insulin secretion and improves β-cell function in patients with type 2 diabetesG Pacini
Metabolic Modeling Unit, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, Padova, Italy
Diabetes Obes Metab 17:541-5. 2015..To assess the glucose-stimulated insulin secretion effect of imeglimin in patients with type 2 diabetes...
- Lack of association of liver fat with model parameters of beta-cell function in men with impaired glucose tolerance and type 2 diabetesMaarten E Tushuizen
Department of Endocrinology Diabetes Centre, Institute of Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, I 35127, Padova, Italy
Eur J Endocrinol 159:251-7. 2008..Hepatic steatosis and obesity are components of the metabolic syndrome and risk factors for developing type 2 diabetes (T2DM). We studied how liver fat and body fat distribution relate to various aspects of beta-cell function...
- A circulatory model for calculating non-steady-state glucose fluxes. Validation and comparison with compartmental modelsAndrea Mari
Institute of Systems Science and Biomedical Engineering, National Research Council, LADSEB CNR, Corso Stati Uniti 4, 35127 Padova, Italy
Comput Methods Programs Biomed 71:269-81. 2003..Recovery of the infused glucose dose was 93+/-2, 94+/-2, 92+/-2 and 85+/-2%, respectively. These results show that the circulatory model is an appropriate model for assessing glucose turnover during an oral glucose load...
- Lipid-induced beta-cell dysfunction in vivo in models of progressive beta-cell failureTracy T Goh
Department of Physiology, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, M5S 1A8, Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E549-60. 2007..3) This compensation is lost in diabetic rats with more marked hyperglycemia and loss of glucose sensing...
- Effect of ovarian suppression with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonist on glucose disposal and insulin secretionMichael J Toth
Department of Medicine and Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 294:E1035-45. 2008..Our data do, however, support a role for ovarian hormones in the regulation of plasma adiponectin levels...
- Effects of portal free fatty acid elevation on insulin clearance and hepatic glucose fluxHidenori Yoshii
Dept of Physiology, Univ of Toronto, Medical Sciences Bldg, Rm 3336, Toronto, ON M5S1A8 Canada
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 290:E1089-97. 2006..This may, in the long term, contribute to the metabolic and cardiovascular risk of visceral obesity...
- beta-Cell function in subjects spanning the range from normal glucose tolerance to overt diabetes: a new analysisEle Ferrannini
Diabetes Division, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio 78229 3900, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 90:493-500. 2005....
- Characterization of GLP-1 effects on beta-cell function after meal ingestion in humansBo Ahren
Department of Medicine, Lund University, Lund, Sweden
Diabetes Care 26:2860-4. 2003..Previously, beta-cell effects of GLP-1 have been characterized in humans during graded intravenous infusions of glucose, whereas its effects after more physiological stimuli, like meal intake, are not known...
- Effect of acute hyperglycemia on insulin secretion in humansElena Toschi
Metabolism Unit, CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa, Via Savi 8, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Diabetes 51:S130-3. 2002..We conclude that first-phase insulin secretion is inhibited by short-term modest hyperglycemia, whereas the second-phase insulin secretion increases linearly with hyperglycemia...
- beta-cell function in obesity: effects of weight lossEle Ferrannini
Department of Internal Medicine, Via Savi, 8, 56126 Pisa, Italy
Diabetes 53:S26-33. 2004..Lipid-triggered messages from the gastrointestinal tract to the insulin target tissues and endocrine pancreas are the subject of intense investigation...
- beta-cell function in morbidly obese subjects during free living: long-term effects of weight lossStefania Camastra
Department of Internal Medicine, Metabolism Unit, National Research Council Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa, Pisa, Italy
Diabetes 54:2382-9. 2005..With continued weight loss over a 2-year period, moderately obese subjects become supersensitive to insulin and, correspondingly, insulin hyposecretors...
- Preeclampsia in lean normotensive normotolerant pregnant women can be predicted by simple insulin sensitivity indexesElena Parretti
Department of Gynecology, Perinatology and Human Reproduction, University of Florence, Italy
Hypertension 47:449-53. 2006..Given their high sensitivity and specificity, these indexes could be useful in predicting the development of preeclampsia in early pregnancy, before the disease become clinically evident...
- Thiazolidinediones improve beta-cell function in type 2 diabetic patientsAmalia Gastaldelli
Diabetes Division, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center, 7703 Floyd Curl Drive, San Antonio, TX 78229, USA
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 292:E871-83. 2007..In T2DM patients, TZD treatment leads to improved beta-cell function, which correlates strongly with improved glycemic control...
- Mechanisms of recovery from type 2 diabetes after malabsorptive bariatric surgeryCaterina Guidone
Dipartimento di Medicina Interna, Catholic University, Largo A Gemelli, 8, 00168 Rome, Italy
Diabetes 55:2025-31. 2006..This operation may affect the enteroinsular axis function by diverting nutrients away from the proximal gastrointestinal tract and by delivering incompletely digested nutrients to the ileum...
- The dipeptidyl peptidase IV inhibitor vildagliptin suppresses endogenous glucose production and enhances islet function after single-dose administration in type 2 diabetic patientsBogdan Balas
Diabetes Division, Department of Medicine, University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, 7703 Floyd Drive, MC 7886, San Antonio, Texas 78229, USA
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:1249-55. 2007..However, little is known about the mechanism(s) by which vildagliptin promotes reduction in plasma glucose concentration...
- Beta-cell function in severely obese type 2 diabetic patients: long-term effects of bariatric surgeryStefania Camastra
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa School of Medicine, Pisa, Italy
Diabetes Care 30:1002-4. 2007
- Impact of incretin hormones on beta-cell function in subjects with normal or impaired glucose toleranceElza Muscelli
Dept of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, 56122 Pisa, Italy
Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 291:E1144-50. 2006..In IGT, beta-cell function is inherently impaired, whereas the incretin effect is only partially affected...
- Insulin resistance, insulin response, and obesity as indicators of metabolic riskEle Ferrannini
Department of Internal Medicine, University of Pisa, Via Roma, 67 I 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 92:2885-92. 2007..Moreover, the differential impact of IR viz. insulin response has not been evaluated...
- Pancreatic fat content and beta-cell function in men with and without type 2 diabetesMaarten E Tushuizen
Department of Endocrinology Diabetes Center, VU University Medical Center, P O Box 7057, 1007 MB Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Diabetes Care 30:2916-21. 2007..Experimental data indicate that fatty infiltration of pancreatic islets may also contribute to beta-cell dysfunction, but whether this occurs in humans in vivo is unknown...
- Common variants of the novel type 2 diabetes genes CDKAL1 and HHEX/IDE are associated with decreased pancreatic beta-cell functionLaura Pascoe
Diabetes Research Group, Newcastle University, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK
Diabetes 56:3101-4. 2007..Our objective was to explore the relationships between the diabetes-associated alleles and measures of beta-cell function and whole-body insulin sensitivity...
- Separate impact of obesity and glucose tolerance on the incretin effect in normal subjects and type 2 diabetic patientsElza Muscelli
Department of Internal Medicine, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche CNR, Institute of Clinical Physiology, University of Pisa, Italy
Diabetes 57:1340-8. 2008..To quantitate the separate impact of obesity and hyperglycemia on the incretin effect (i.e., the gain in beta-cell function after oral glucose versus intravenous glucose)...