- Drug waste minimization as an effective strategy of cost-containment in oncologyGianpiero Fasola
Oncology Department, University Hospital of Udine, 33100 Udine, Italy
BMC Health Serv Res 14:57. 2014..In this paper we aim to demonstrate the efficacy of drug waste minimization in reducing drug-related costs and its importance as a structural measure in health care management...
- Chemotherapy prescribing errors: an observational study on the role of information technology and computerized physician order entry systemsMarianna Aita
Department of Oncology, S, Maria della Misericordia, University Hospital, Udine, Italy
BMC Health Serv Res 13:522. 2013..Aim of this study was to evaluate the frequency, type, preventability, as well as potential and actual severity of outpatient chemotherapy prescribing errors in an Oncology Department where electronic prescribing is used...
- Re-challenge with pemetrexed in advanced mesothelioma: a multi-institutional experienceAlessandra Bearz
Medical Oncology, IRCCS, Aviano, PN, Italy
BMC Res Notes 5:482. 2012..Although first-line therapy for patients affected by advanced mesothelioma is well established, there is a lack of data regarding the impact of second-line treatment...
- Adopting integrated care pathways in non-small-cell lung cancer: from theory to practiceGianpiero Fasola
Departments of Oncology, S Maria della Misericordia University Hospital, Udine, Italy
J Thorac Oncol 7:1283-90. 2012..The main aim of this study was to assess the quality of health care delivered to lung cancer patients referred to a hub university hospital...
- Drug waste minimisation and cost-containment in Medical Oncology: two-year results of a feasibility studyGianpiero Fasola
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, 33100 Udine, Italy
BMC Health Serv Res 8:70. 2008..Cost-containment strategies are required to face the challenge of rising drug expenditures in Oncology. Drug wastage leads to economic loss, but little is known about the size of the problem in this field...
- Low-dose computed tomography screening for lung cancer and pleural mesothelioma in an asbestos-exposed population: baseline results of a prospective, nonrandomized feasibility trial--an Alpe-adria Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary Group Study (ATOM 002)Gianpiero Fasola
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, P le S M Misericordia 15, 33100 Udine, Italy
Oncologist 12:1215-24. 2007..To evaluate the feasibility of using low-dose computed tomography (LDCT) for the early diagnosis of lung cancer and malignant pleural mesothelioma in an asbestos-exposed population...
- Dramatic tumour response to pemetrexed single-agent in an elderly patient with malignant peritoneal mesothelioma: a case reportGianpiero Fasola
Dept of Medical Oncology, University Hospital, P le S M Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:289. 2006..To date, there is no standard treatment for unresectable malignant peritoneal mesothelioma; either best supportive care or systemic chemotherapy with palliative intent are accepted options...
- Prognostic role of KRAS, NRAS, BRAF and PIK3CA mutations in advanced colorectal cancerLuisa Foltran
Department of Oncology, University Hospital S Maria della Misericordia, Piazzale S Maria della Misericordia 15, Udine, Italy
Future Oncol 11:629-40. 2015..To explore the prognostic value of extended mutational profiling for metastatic colorectal cancer (mCRC)...
- Exploratory predictive and prognostic factors in advanced breast cancer treated with metronomic chemotherapyManuela Miscoria
Department of Oncology, University of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 23:326-34. 2012..Young women with a more indolent disease had the greatest benefit from this treatment. TP tumour expression might aid decision making but these findings must be confirmed in larger prospective, properly designed studies...
- A randomised phase II study of docetaxel/oxaliplatin and docetaxel in patients with previously treated non-small cell lung cancer: an Alpe-Adria Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary group trial (ATOM 019)Ornella Belvedere
Department of Medical Oncology, Santa Maria della Misericordia University Hospital, Udine, Italy
Eur J Cancer 47:1653-9. 2011..To date, no combination regimen has proven superior to single agent chemotherapy as a second-line treatment for non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC)...
- MGMT promoter methylation status in brain metastases from colorectal cancer and corresponding primary tumorsGiovanna De Maglio
Department of Pathology, University and General Hospital, Udine, Italy
Future Oncol 11:1201-9. 2015..The aim of this retrospective study is to evaluate MGMT promoter methylation in BM and their corresponding primary colorectal cancer tumors...
- Measures of outcome in metastatic breast cancer: insights from a real-world scenarioMarta Bonotto
Department of Oncology and Institute of Hygiene and Clinical Epidemiology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy Department of Medical and Biological Sciences, University of Udine, Udine, Italy General Hospital, Gorizia, Italy
Oncologist 19:608-15. 2014..g., triple-negative subtype after the first line; other subtypes after the third line). The potential implications of these findings are clinical and methodological. ..
- Expression of thymidine phosphorylase and cyclooxygenase-2 in melanomaAlessandro M Minisini
Department of Oncology, University and General Hospital, Santa Maria della Misericordia, Udine, Italy
Melanoma Res 23:96-101. 2013....
- Risk of unplanned visits for colorectal cancer outpatients receiving chemotherapy: a case-crossover studyLuisa Foltran
Department of Oncology, University Hospital S Maria della Misericordia, Udine, Italy
Support Care Cancer 22:2527-33. 2014..This study was conducted to evaluate the impact of chemotherapy on the risk of unplanned visit in a cohort of colorectal cancer outpatients. Chief complaints for unplanned visits and risk factors for hospital admission were also analyzed...
- Anticancer drugs and central nervous system: clinical issues for patients and physiciansAlessandro M Minisini
Department of Oncology, University and General Hospital of Udine, P le SM della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Cancer Lett 267:1-9. 2008..PUBMED search was performed in order to retrieve all articles and case reports dealing with central nervous system toxicity related to anticancer treatments...
- HER-2 Expression in Brain Metastases from Colorectal Cancer and Corresponding Primary Tumors: A Case Cohort SeriesGiuseppe Aprile
Department of Oncology, University and General Hospital, 33100 Udine, Italy
Int J Mol Sci 14:2370-87. 2013..Our data suggest a potential negative prognostic value of HER-2 expression in brain lesions from CRC...
- Pegylated liposomal doxorubicin in elderly patients with metastatic breast cancerAlessandro M Minisini
University and General Hospital of Udine, Department of Oncology, Udine, Italy
Expert Rev Anticancer Ther 8:331-42. 2008..Tolerability of this agent in elderly patients has been confirmed by clinical trials in the advanced disease. Due to its efficacy and safety profile, PLD is an appealing treatment option for elderly breast cancer patients...
- Determinants of recovery from amenorrhea in premenopausal breast cancer patients receiving adjuvant chemotherapy in the taxane eraAlessandro Marco Minisini
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 20:503-7. 2009..04) were associated with an increased probability of permanent chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea. Recovery of menses after chemotherapy-induced amenorrhea occurs more probably in younger women, with no pregnancies and receiving taxanes...
- Factors affecting patient's perception of anticancer treatments side-effects: an observational studyStefania Russo
University Hospital of Udine, Department of Oncology, Udine, Italy
Expert Opin Drug Saf 13:139-50. 2014..There is evidence that patients' perception of the side effects of anticancer treatments changes over time...
- Neurosurgical management and postoperative whole-brain radiotherapy for colorectal cancer patients with symptomatic brain metastasesGiuseppe Aprile
University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Cancer Res Clin Oncol 135:451-7. 2009..Due to this remarkable life extension, the incidence of brain metastases, though still low, is progressively increasing over time. There is little reported data on the optimal strategy to manage brain lesions from colorectal cancer...
- Brain metastases from gastrointestinal tumours: tailoring the approach to maximize the outcomeJessica Menis
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 85:32-44. 2013..The aim of this review is to present and discuss available data on brain metastases from GI cancers...
- Biglycan expression and clinical outcome in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinomaGiuseppe Aprile
Department of Oncology, University Hospital S Maria della Misericordia of Udine, Piazzale S Maria della Misericordia, 33100, Udine, Italy
Tumour Biol 34:131-7. 2013..Rather, we underline the complexity of tumor-stroma interactions in the advanced stage of cancer and the need of further study...
- Hot topics and landmark studies from the 43rd annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical OncologyFabio Puglisi
Department of Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Drugs 19:221-33. 2008..The focus is on the findings from randomized phase III trials that, in the authors' opinion, are most likely to have an immediate effect on clinical practice...
- Feasibility study of a web application for self-report of anticancer treatment toxicitiesVincenzo Della Mea
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science, University of Udine, 33100 Udine, Italy
Stud Health Technol Inform 150:562-6. 2009..The present paper describes a web application called PaTOS for self-report of anticancer therapy toxicities, and its evaluation in a preliminary interface analysis and then in a feasibility study...
- Targeting the VEGF pathway: antiangiogenic strategies in the treatment of non-small cell lung cancerMarianna Aita
Department of Medical Oncology, University Hospital of Udine, Piazzale S M della Misericordia 15, 33100 Udine, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 68:183-96. 2008....
- Bevacizumab and first-line chemotherapy for older patients with advanced colorectal cancer: final results of a Community-based Observational Italian StudyStefania Eufemia Lutrino
Department of Oncology, University and General Hospital, Udine, Italy
Anticancer Res 35:2391-9. 2015..Although the efficacy and safety of combining first-line chemotherapy with bevacizumab in elderly patients with colorectal cancer (CRC) is supported by the results of a phase III trial, real-practice data are limited...
- The challenge of targeted therapies for gastric cancer patients: the beginning of a long journeyGiuseppe Aprile
University and General Hospital, Department of Medical Oncology, Piazzale S Maria della Misericordia 1, 33100, Udine, Italy 39 432 559308 39 432 559305
Expert Opin Investig Drugs 23:925-42. 2014..Although progress has been made thanks to trastuzumab in HER2 positive tumours, antiangiogenic drugs have produced conflicting results and EGFR-inhibitors have failed to show major improvements...
- Angiogenic inhibitors for older patients with advanced colorectal cancer: Does the age hold the stage?Giuseppe Aprile
Giuseppe Aprile, Caterina Fontanella, Eufemia Stefania Lutrino, Laura Ferrari, Mariaelena Casagrande, Giovanni Gerardo Cardellino, Gianpiero Fasola, Department of Oncology, University and General Hospital, 33100 Udine, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 19:2131-40. 2013..Advanced age alone should not discourage the use of bevacizumab. However, a careful patients' selection and watchful monitoring of toxicities are required to optimize the use of antiangiogenics in this population. ..
- Paraneoplastic neurological syndromes and breast cancer. Regression of paraneoplastic neurological sensorimotor neuropathy in a patient with metastatic breast cancer treated with capecitabine: a case study and mini-review of the literatureAlessandro M Minisini
Department of Medical Oncology, University and S M Misericordia Hospital, P le S M della Misericordia, 33100 Udine, Italy
Breast Cancer Res Treat 105:133-8. 2007..Treatment with capecitabine lead to clinical amelioration. A review of the literature on the paraneoplastic neurological syndromes in breast cancer is also included...
- A model to estimate human resource needs for the treatment of outpatients with cancerGianpiero Fasola
University Hospital of Udine, Udine, Italy
J Oncol Pract 8:13-7. 2012..An empirical model to forecast staffing demand is described according to the yearly caseload of outpatients with cancer beginning active treatment and the number of personnel working hours...
- Incidence and clinical impact of chemotherapy induced myelotoxicity in cancer patients: an observational retrospective surveyLazzaro Repetto
Oncology Department, Istituto Nazionale di Riposo e Cura per Anziani, INRCA IRCCS, Via Cassia 1167, Rome 00189, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 72:170-9. 2009..To evaluate the frequency of chemotherapy-induced myelotoxicity in cancer patients, the related treatment (G-CSF, rHuEPO), and the occurrence of chemotherapy dose reductions, delays or discontinuations...
- Highlights from the 42nd annual meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology Atlanta, GA, USA, 2-6 June 2006Fabio Puglisi
Azienda Ospedaliero Universitaria di Udine, Dipartimento di Oncologia, Piazzale S M Misericordia 15, I 33100, Udine, Italy
Expert Opin Pharmacother 7:2309-18. 2006..In addition, selected Phase I and II studies on promising novel therapeutic agents were briefly described. Finally, a 'question and answer' format was adopted to report results of interesting studies on some hot topics...
- Tumor measurements on computed tomographic images of non-small cell lung cancer were similar among cancer professionals from different specialtiesFrancesco Grossi
Medical Oncology, National Institute for Cancer Research, Largo R Benzi, 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
J Clin Epidemiol 57:804-8. 2004..The consistency of measures with Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) vs. WHO criteria is also reported...
- Phase II study of irinotecan and docetaxel in patients with previously treated non-small cell lung cancer: an Alpe-Adria Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary group study (ATOM 007)Francesco Grossi
Medical Oncology A, Disease Management Team Lung Cancer, National Institute for Cancer Research, L go R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Lung Cancer 52:89-92. 2006..Median time to progression was 2.8 months and median survival was 7.4 months. Because of significant toxicity and limited activity, further investigation of irinotecan plus docetaxel in second line NSCLC is not recommended...
- Sequential chemotherapy with paclitaxel plus cisplatin, followed by vinorelbine, followed by gemcitabine in advanced non-small cell lung cancer: an Alpe-Adria Thoracic Oncology Multidisciplinary group study (ATOM 001)Francesco Grossi
Disease Management Team Lung Cancer, Medical Oncology A, National Institute for Cancer Research, Largo R Benzi 10, 16132 Genoa, Italy
Lung Cancer 46:99-106. 2004..This pilot experience provides the basis for an ongoing randomized phase III trial comparing our sequential regimen versus cisplatin plus gemcitabine...