Affiliation: Division of Medical Oncology
- Hepatocellular carcinoma: systemic treatmentsMassimo Di Maio
Medical Oncology, National Cancer Institute, Naples, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 35:S109-14. 2002..In the future, innovative and promising therapeutic strategies will be tested in HCC, including new biologic target-based drugs, cyclooxygenase inhibitors, and gene therapy...
- Ischemic colitis associated with paclitaxelB Daniele
Department of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Institute and G Pascale Foundation, Naples, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 33:159-60. 2001..Once C. difficile infection has been excluded, a diagnosis of ischemic colitis should be considered, especially in patients with cancer who have normal white blood cell counts...
- Effect of chemotherapy with 5-fluorouracil on intestinal permeability and absorption in patients with advanced colorectal cancerB Daniele
Division of Medical Oncology, National Cancer Institue, Napoli, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 32:228-30. 2001..Cellobiose-mannitol ratio and D-xylose absorption tests can be used for the assessment of toxic effect of 5-FU on mature intestinal epithelium and also for evaluating the role of cytoprotective agents...
- Oral glutamine in the prevention of fluorouracil induced intestinal toxicity: a double blind, placebo controlled, randomised trialB Daniele
Divisione di Oncologia Medica B, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Napoli, Italy
Gut 48:28-33. 2001..Animal and human studies suggest that glutamine stimulates intestinal mucosal growth...
- Mucosal expression of carcinoembryonic antigen and carbohydrate antigen 19-9 in patients with gastritis and gastric cancerG Esposito
Ria Laboratory of Nuclear Medicine, National Cancer Institute, Naples, Italy
Cancer Detect Prev 23:116-22. 1999..7). In conclusion, these data indicate that gastric mucosa of patients with chronic atrophic gastritis and intestinal metaplasia express high levels of both CA19-9 and CEA...
- [Multivisceral resection of advanced gastric cancer]R Palaia
Unità Operativa Complessa di Oncologica Chirurgia C, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Napoli
Tumori 89:121-4. 2003
- Prognostic value of serum biological markers in patients with hepatocellular carcinomaR Parasole
Division of Clinical Immunology, National Cancer Institute, Via M. Semmola, 80131 Naples, Italy
Clin Cancer Res 7:3504-9. 2001..51 (95% confidence interval, 0.76-3.01). CONCLUSIONS: Serum levels of sICAM-1, sIL-2R, IL-6, and anti-p53 are not useful as prognostic factors for HCC in clinical practice. They do not improve the predictive ability of the CLIP score...
- Tamoxifen in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: 5-year results of the CLIP-1 multicentre randomised controlled trialF Perrone
CLIP secretariat, Ufficio Sperimentazioni Cliniche Controllate, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via Mariano Semmola, Napoli, 80131, Italy
Curr Pharm Des 8:1013-9. 2002..control. Here we report an updated analysis of the study results 4.5 years after the closure of enrollment...
- The DISTAL-2 phase III randomized trial of single agent weekly docetaxel (wD) vs wD plus gemcitabine (G) or vinorelbine (V) vs wD plus capecitabine (X) as second-line treatment of advanced non-small-cell lung cancer (NSCLC) patients (pts)V Gebbia
University of Palermo, Palermo, Italy Busto Arsizio Hospital, Saronno, Varese, Italy S Gerardo Hospital, Monza, Italy C Poma Hospital, Mantova, Italy Rummo Hospital, Benevento, Italy Umberto I Hospital, Frosinone, Italy N Giannettasio Hospital, Rossano, Cosenza, Italy National Cancer Institute, Naples, Italy Second University, Naples, Italy S G Moscati Hospital, Avellino, Italy
J Clin Oncol 26:19057. 2008..19057 Background: Doublet chemotherapy is more effective than single-agent as 1st line treatment of advanced NSCLC. The aim of DISTAL-2 was to compare two doublets with wD as 2nd line treatment...
- Plasma postheparin diamine oxidase in patients with small intestinal lymphomaL D'Agostino
Cattedra di Gastroenterologia, 2a Facolta di Medicina, Universita Federico II, Napoli, Italy
Cancer 67:511-5. 1991..Our data indicate that in patients with small bowel lymphoma PHD test is a sensitive marker of small bowel mucosa damage and suggest that it could be useful in monitoring the recovery of mucosal lesions induced by chemotherapy...
- Originality, benefits and difficulties of clinical research performed by cooperative groups: the experience of an Italian Lung Cancer Study GroupC Gridelli
Divisione di Oncologia Medica B, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Via M Semmola 3, 80131, Naples, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 36:3-8. 2000..Our group is giving significant contributions to the field of lung cancer. Today, large controlled clinical trials are ongoing...
- Hepatic resection and percutaneous ethanol injection as treatments of small hepatocellular carcinoma: a Cancer of the Liver Italian Program (CLIP 08) retrospective case-control studyBruno Daniele
Oncologia Medica B, Oncologia Chirurgica CM, Istituto Nazionale Tumori, Napoli, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 36:63-7. 2003..Patients with small hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are usually treated with hepatic resection or percutaneous ethanol injection (PEI)...
- Re: Design and endpoints of clinical trials in hepatocellular carcinomaMassimo Di Maio
J Natl Cancer Inst 100:1557; author reply 1557-8. 2008
- Is human hepatocellular carcinoma a hormone-responsive tumor?Massimo Di Maio
Medical Oncology, N Giannettasio Hospital, Rossano 87068, Italy
World J Gastroenterol 14:1682-9. 2008..Negative results have been obtained also with anti-androgen therapy. In conclusion, there is no robust evidence to consider HCC a hormone-responsive tumor. Hormonal treatments should not be part of the current management of HCC...
- Factorial phase III randomised trial of rofecoxib and prolonged constant infusion of gemcitabine in advanced non-small-cell lung cancer: the GEmcitabine-COxib in NSCLC (GECO) studyCesare Gridelli
Medical Oncology, S Giuseppe Moscati Hospital, Avellino, Italy
Lancet Oncol 8:500-12. 2007..We aimed to assess whether the addition of rofecoxib or PCI gemcitabine could improve overall survival compared with first-line treatment with cisplatin plus gemcitabine given by standard infusion...
- Characteristics at presentation and outcome of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) in the elderly. A study of the Cancer of the Liver Italian Program (CLIP)Sandro Pignata
Oncologia Medica B, Istituto Nazionale per lo Studio e la Cura dei Tumori, Napoli, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 59:243-9. 2006..To describe the characteristics at presentation and the outcome of elderly patients (> or =70 years old) with HCC, a retrospective analysis using a CLIP database was performed...
- Tamoxifen is not effective in good prognosis patients with hepatocellular carcinomaCiro Gallo
Department of Medicine and Public Health, Second University, Naples, Italy
BMC Cancer 6:196. 2006..However, a recent report suggested that the drug might prolong survival among patients with well preserved liver function. The aim of this paper is to validate this hypothesis...
- Stop Flow in abdominal and pelvic cancer relapsesRosario Vincenzo Iaffaioli
Med Onc B INT Naples, Cagliari University, Italy
Front Biosci 11:1284-8. 2006..Stop-Flow is a safe and feasible technique very useful as a palliation treatment...
- Second-line intra-arterial chemotherapy in advanced pancreatic adenocarcinomaEmiddio Barletta
Department of Oncology, G Rummo Hospital, 82100, Benevento, Italy
Front Biosci 11:782-7. 2006..0446) significantly improved after therapy. No patient discontinued treatment because of toxicity (NCI-CTC criteria). The current study shows that intraarterial chemotherapy is a good therapeutic option in second-line treatment of LAMPC...
- [Screening of hepatocellular carcinoma: role of the alpha-fetoprotein (AFP) and ultrasonography]Emiddio Barletta
Recenti Prog Med 96:295-9; quiz 328. 2005..Pathology assessment of liver explants in living donor transplantation programs will provide more precise and reliable information regarding the value of AFP and ultrasonography as HCC screening tools...
- Staging for liver cancerBruno Daniele
Medical Oncology Unit, G Rummo Hospital, Benevento, Italy
Clin Liver Dis 9:213-23, vi. 2005..The peculiarity of hepatocellular carcinoma patients are addressed, and each individual prognostic systems for hepatocellular carcinoma is presented and discussed...
- Alpha-fetoprotein and ultrasonography screening for hepatocellular carcinomaBruno Daniele
Medical Oncology Unit, G Rummo Hospital, Via dell Angelo 1, 82100 Benevento, Italy
Gastroenterology 127:S108-12. 2004..US seems more efficient as a screening tool. Pathology assessment of liver explants in living-donor transplantation programs will provide more precise and reliable information regarding the value of AFP and US as HCC screening tools...
- Early and late complications after radiofrequency ablation of malignant liver tumors in 608 patientsSteven A Curley
Department of Surgical Oncology, University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030 4095, USA
Ann Surg 239:450-8. 2004..We performed this prospective analysis to determine early (within 30 days) and late (more than 30 days after) complication rates associated with hepatic tumor RFA...
- Clinical features, etiology, and survival of hepatocellular carcinoma among different countriesMasao Omata
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Tokyo Graduate School of Medicine, Japan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol 17:S40-9. 2002
- Feasibility of adjuvant hepatic arterial infusion of chemotherapy after radiofrequency ablation with or without resection in patients with hepatic metastases from colorectal cancerCourtney L Scaife
Departments of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M D Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas 77030, USA
Ann Surg Oncol 10:348-54. 2003..We conducted a study to determine the feasibility of using HAI after RFA for colorectal cancer (CRC) liver metastases...
- First-line chemotherapy with fluorouracil and folinic acid for advanced colorectal cancer in elderly patients: a phase II studyBruno Daniele
Medical Oncology, Clinical Trial Office, National Cancer Institute of Naples, Italy
J Clin Gastroenterol 36:228-33. 2003....
- Transcatheter arterial procedures in the treatment of patients with hepatocellular carcinoma: a review of literatureErmelinda De Maio
Medical Oncology B, National Cancer Institute of Naples, Via M Semmola, 80131, Naples, Italy
Crit Rev Oncol Hematol 46:285-95. 2003....