Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: CNR Institute of Clinical Physiology
- Reactivation of ocular dominance plasticity in the adult visual cortexTommaso Pizzorusso
Scuola Normale Superiore, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Science 298:1248-51. 2002..The mature ECM is thus inhibitory for experience-dependent plasticity, and degradation of CSPGs reactivates cortical plasticity...
- TrkA activation in the rat visual cortex by antirat trkA IgG prevents the effect of monocular deprivationT Pizzorusso
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
Eur J Neurosci 11:204-12. 1999..These results suggest that NGF action in visual cortical plasticity is mediated by cortical TrkA receptors with p75NTR exerting a facilitatory role...
- Patterned vision causes CRE-mediated gene expression in the visual cortex through PKA and ERKLaura Cancedda
Institute of Neuroscience of Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 23:7012-20. 2003..Finally, because CRE-mediated gene expression was totally dependent on ERK activation, we suggest that PKA action on CRE-mediated gene expression is mediated by ERK...
- Experience-dependent expression of miR-132 regulates ocular dominance plasticityPaola Tognini
Istituto di Neuroscienze Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Pisa, Italy
Nat Neurosci 14:1237-9. 2011..Counteracting this miR-132 reduction with an infusion of chemically modified miR-132 mimic oligonucleotides completely blocked ocular dominance plasticity...
- Reducing intracortical inhibition in the adult visual cortex promotes ocular dominance plasticityAlexey Harauzov
Scuola Normale Superiore, 56126 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 30:361-71. 2010..Thus, intracortical inhibition is a crucial limiting factor for the induction of experience-dependent plasticity in the adult visual cortex...
- Developmental downregulation of histone posttranslational modifications regulates visual cortical plasticityElena Putignano
Scuola Normale Superiore, Neurobiology Laboratory, Area Ricerca CNR, Via Moruzzi, 1 Pisa 56125, Italy
Neuron 53:747-59. 2007..Thus, differing, experience-dependent activations of signaling molecules might be at the basis of the differences in experience-dependent plasticity between juvenile and adult cortex...
- In vitro and in vivo biocompatibility testing of functionalized carbon nanotubesGianni Ciofani
Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pisa, Italy
Methods Mol Biol 625:67-83. 2010..Moreover, in vivo neurocompatibility tests were carried out through injections in mouse brains...
- A kinase with a vision: Role of ERK in the synaptic plasticity of the visual cortexGian Michele Ratto
Institute of Neuroscience CNR and Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
Adv Exp Med Biol 557:122-32. 2006
- Molecular basis of plasticity in the visual cortexNicoletta Berardi
Laboratory of Neurophysiology, Institute of Neuroscience, Pisa, Italy
Trends Neurosci 26:369-78. 2003..In addition, new findings suggest a role for the extracellular matrix in inhibition of ocular-dominance plasticity in the adult visual cortex...
- Functionalized carbon nanotubes in the brain: cellular internalization and neuroinflammatory responsesGiuseppe Bardi
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Pisa Area della recerca, Pisa, Italy and Center for MicroBioRobotics, Pontedera, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e80964. 2013..These results highlight the importance of nanotube functionalization on their interaction with brain tissue that is deemed critical for the development nanotube-based vector systems for CNS applications...
- Environment, leptin sensitivity, and hypothalamic plasticityMarco Mainardi
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Pisa, Italy
Neural Plast 2013:438072. 2013..In addition, we also address the role of leptin in extrahypothalamic plasticity, in order to propose an integrated view of how a single diffusible factor can regulate diverse brain functions. ..
- Carbon nanotube-mediated wireless cell permeabilization: drug and gene uptakeVittoria Raffa
Medical Science Lab, Scuola Superiore Sant Anna, Pisa, 56127, Italy
Nanomedicine (Lond) 6:1709-18. 2011..They can be used to induce cell permeabilization in order to transfer drugs (normally impermeable to cell membranes) both in in vitro and in vivo models...
- Structural and functional recovery from early monocular deprivation in adult ratsTommaso Pizzorusso
Istituto di Neuroscienze, Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche, Via Moruzzi 1, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 103:8517-22. 2006..Thus, manipulations of the extracellular matrix can be used to promote functional recovery in the adult cortex...
- The short-time structural plasticity of dendritic spines is altered in a model of Rett syndromeSilvia Landi
NEST, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy NEST Institute Nanoscience CNR, Pisa, Italy
Sci Rep 1:45. 2011..Our study demonstrates that spine dynamics in RTT mice is severely impaired early during development and suggest that treatments for RTT should be started very early in order to reestablish a normal period of spine plasticity...
- Early environmental enrichment moderates the behavioral and synaptic phenotype of MeCP2 null miceGiuseppina Lonetti
CNR, Neuroscience Institute Pisa, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Biol Psychiatry 67:657-65. 2010..However, EE during early postnatal development produces powerful effects on neural development and plasticity. Thus, we tested whether early EE could ameliorate several phenotypes of male homozygous and female heterozygous MeCP2 mutants...
- Extracellular matrix and visual cortical plasticity: freeing the synapseNicoletta Berardi
Istituto Neuroscienze CNR, Via G Moruzzi 1, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Neuron 44:905-8. 2004..Here we review recent data showing that extracellular matrix (ECM) plays an important role in the control of experience-dependent plasticity both in the developing and adult visual cortex...
- Reduced responsiveness to long-term monocular deprivation of parvalbumin neurons assessed by c-Fos staining in rat visual cortexMarco Mainardi
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 4:e4342. 2009....
- A richness that curesTommaso Pizzorusso
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
Neuron 54:508-10. 2007..Chromatin remodeling may be the final gate environmental enrichment opens to enhance plasticity and represents a promising target for therapeutical intervention in neurodegenerative diseases...
- p140Cap regulates memory and synaptic plasticity through Src-mediated and citron-N-mediated actin reorganizationDaniele Repetto
Molecular Biotechnology Center, Department of Molecular Biotechnology and Health Sciences, Department of Neuroscience, University of Torino, 10126 Torino, Italy, Institute of Neuroscience of the National Research Council of Italy, 56124 Pisa, Italy, Department of Neuroscience, Psychology, Drug Research and Child Health NEUROFARBA, University of Florence, 50135 Florence, Italy, National Institute of Neuroscience Italy, 10125 Torino, Italy, Department of Biotechnology and Translational Medicine, University of Milan, and Humanitas Clinical and Research Center, Rozzano, 20089 Milan, Italy, and Institute of Anatomy and Molecular Neurobiology, Westfalische Wilhelms University, D 48149 Munster, Germany
J Neurosci 34:1542-53. 2014..Altogether, our results provide new insight into how protein associated with dynamic microtubules may regulate spine actin organization through interaction with postsynaptic density components. ..
- System consolidation of spatial memories in mice: effects of enriched environmentJoyce Bonaccorsi
Scuola Normale Superiore, Pisa, Italy
Neural Plast 2013:956312. 2013..This suggests that EE not only accelerates the process of mPFC recruitment but also recruits additional cortical areas into the network supporting remote spatial memories. ..
- A sensitive period for environmental regulation of eating behavior and leptin sensitivityMarco Mainardi
Laboratory of Neurobiology, Scuola Normale Superiore, 56100 Pisa, Italy
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 107:16673-8. 2010..The leptin-hypothalamic axis is maximally enhanced if environmental stimulation is applied during development...
- Heterozygous knock-out mice for brain-derived neurotrophic factor show a pathway-specific impairment of long-term potentiation but normal critical period for monocular deprivationAlessandro Bartoletti
Scuola Normale Superiore, Laboratorio di Neurobiologia, 56100 Pisa, Italy
J Neurosci 22:10072-7. 2002..We conclude that deletion of one copy of the BDNF gene selectively impairs LTP of the layer IV-III pathway but does not alter ocular dominance plasticity...
- Vascular dysfunction in a mouse model of Rett syndrome and effects of curcumin treatmentAnna Panighini
Institute of Neuroscience, Italian National Research Council CNR, Pisa, Italy
PLoS ONE 8:e64863. 2013..In conclusion our findings highlight alterations in the vascular/endothelial system in the absence of a correct function of MeCP2, and uncover related cellular/molecular mechanisms that are rescued by an anti-oxidant treatment...
- MicroRNA212/132 family: molecular transducer of neuronal function and plasticityPaola Tognini
Scuola Normale Superiore, Laboratorio Neurobiologia, Pisa, Italy
Int J Biochem Cell Biol 44:6-10. 2012..The main aim of this review is to highlight recent discoveries about miR212/132 family functions and its possible involvement in pathological processes...
- Adipocytes differentiation in the presence of Pluronic F127-coated carbon nanotubesGiuseppe Bardi
Institute of Neurosciences, National Research Council CNR, Pisa, Italy
Nanomedicine 5:378-81. 2009..These results suggest that reasonable concentrations of PF127-MWCNTs are not toxic for adipocytes and do not interfere with their differentiation process...
- A mouse model for creatine transporter deficiency reveals early onset cognitive impairment and neuropathology associated with brain agingLaura Baroncelli
Institute of Neuroscience, National Research Council CNR, Pisa, Italy
Hum Mol Genet . 2016..Our data suggest that brain Cr depletion causes both early intellectual disability and late progressive cognitive decline, and identify novel targets to design intervention strategies aimed at overcoming brain CCDS1 alterations...
- Electrophysiology of the postreceptoral visual pathway in miceVittorio Porciatti
Institute of Neurophysiology, CNR, Pisa, Italy
Doc Ophthalmol 104:69-82. 2002..Pattern VEPs provide a means for characterizing the visual phenotype of mutant mice and for the evaluation of the effects induced by experimental manipulation...
- The biocompatibility of amino functionalized CdSe/ZnS quantum-dot-Doped SiO2 nanoparticles with primary neural cells and their gene carrying performanceGiuseppe Bardi
CNR Neuroscience Institute, Pisa, Italy
Biomaterials 31:6555-66. 2010..QD-doped SiO(2) NPs properties make them a valuable tool for future nanomedicine application...
- Pluronic-coated carbon nanotubes do not induce degeneration of cortical neurons in vivo and in vitroGiuseppe Bardi
Institute of Neurosciences, National Research Council, Pisa, Italy
Nanomedicine 5:96-104. 2009..However, the presence of MWCNTs can avoid PF127-induced apoptosis. These results suggest that PF127-coated MWCNTs do not induce apoptosis of cortical neurons. Moreover, the presence of MWCNTs can reduce PF127 toxicity...
- Experience-dependent DNA methylation regulates plasticity in the developing visual cortexPaola Tognini
Institute of Neuroscience CNR, Pisa, Italy
Nat Neurosci 18:956-8. 2015..Inhibition of DNA methyltrasferase (DNMT) blocked molecular and functional effects of monocular deprivation, partially reversing the monocular deprivation transcriptional program. ..
- Visual experience and plasticity of the visual cortex: a role for epigenetic mechanismsPaolo Medini
Neuroscience and Brain Technology Department, Italian Institute of Technology, Genova, Italy
Front Biosci 13:3000-7. 2008..In addition, visual experience activates epigenetic mechanisms of regulation of gene transcription that becomes downregulated in adult animals...