Maria Pia Foschini
Affiliation: Bellaria Hospital
- The impact of large sections on the study of in situ and invasive duct carcinoma of the breastMaria P Foschini
Section of Pathology, Bellaria Hospital, University of Bologna, 40139 Bologna, Italy
Hum Pathol 38:1736-43. 2007..In 66.6% of the cases, DCIS foci were found within the invasive areas, indicating a more than fortuitous occurrence (2-sided P=.0357)...
- Pattern of p63 expression in squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavityMaria P Foschini
Department of Oncological Sciences, Section of Anatomic Pathology, University of Bologna at Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Virchows Arch 444:332-9. 2004..3% of those devoid of lymph-node metastases at presentation. An impaired expression of the p63 isoforms might favour cell proliferation and indirectly enhance the metastasising capacity of OSCC...
- Three-dimensional reconstruction of vessel distribution in benign and malignant lesions of thyroidMaria P Foschini
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Bologna Ospedale Bellaria, Bologna, Italy
Virchows Arch 445:189-98. 2004..Vascular anastomoses and intratumoural vessels surrounding solid avascular areas are signs of malignancy...
- E-cadherin loss and Delta Np73L expression in oral squamous cell carcinomas showing aggressive behaviorMaria P Foschini
Institute of Pathological Anatomy, University of Bologna, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Head Neck 30:1475-82. 2008..This article sought to investigate the existence of parameters useful for predicting lymph node metastases in cases of surgically resected oral squamous cell carcinomas (OSCCs)...
- Low-grade mucoepidermoid carcinoma of salivary glands: characteristic immunohistochemical profile and evidence of striated duct differentiationMaria Pia Foschini
Department of Oncology, Section of Anatomic Pathology, M Malpighi University of Bologna, Ospedale Bellaria, Via Altura 3, 40139 Bologna, Italy
Virchows Arch 440:536-42. 2002..In addition, a differentiation of the "striated duct phenotype" is suggested...
- TT virus-related acute recurrent hepatitis. Histological features of a case and review of the literatureM P Foschini
Department of Oncology, Section of Pathology, University of Bologna, Italy
Virchows Arch 439:752-5. 2001..On histological analysis, the liver parenchyma showed a preserved architecture. The histological features were those of a mild acute hepatitis. The clinicopathological findings suggest th..
- Comparison between echo-color Doppler sonography features and angioarchitecture of thyroid nodulesMaria P Foschini
Department of Anatomic Pathology, University of Bologna Ospedale Bellaria, Italy
Int J Surg Pathol 15:135-42. 2007..This architectural pattern is not seen in benign nodules or in papillary carcinomas. Comparison with histology suggests that echo-color Doppler images can visualize vessels showing a muscular wall...
- [Demonstration of TT virus in liver tissue fixed in formalin and embedded in paraffin]M P Foschini
Sezione di Anatomia Patologica, Istologia e Citologia Patologica M Malpighi, Dipartimento di Oncologia, Ospedale Bellaria, Via Altura 3, I 40139 Bologna
Pathologica 93:112-7. 2001..On the contrary, more recent studies deny the importance of TT virus in causing liver damage. Most of the studies are based on serological data or on viral detection from frozen liver tissue...
- [Albumin mRNA and pCEA in the histopathologic diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma]M P Foschini
Dipartimento di Oncologia, Ospedale Bellaria, Universita di Bologna
Pathologica 91:260-7. 1999..Detection of albumin mRNA showed a higher sensitivity. In addition the cRNA probe here used seems more sensitive that the oligonucleotide probes employed in previous studies...
- Intraepidermal cells of Paget's carcinoma of the breast can be genetically different from those of the underlying carcinomaLuca Morandi
Department of Oncology, Section of Pathology, University of Bologna, Ospedale Bellaria, Italy
Hum Pathol 34:1321-30. 2003..Consequently, the underlying tumors are coincidental neoplastic lesions (collision tumors)...
- Clonality analysis in primary oral squamous cell carcinoma and related lymph-node metastasis revealed by TP53 and mitochondrial DNA next generation sequencing analysisLuca Morandi
Department of Biomedical and Neuro Motor Sciences, Section of Anatomic Pathology M Malpighi at Bellaria Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
J Craniomaxillofac Surg 43:208-13. 2015..The combination of mt-DNA and TP53 data analysis helped us to evaluate more precisely and consistently the genetic relationship among different tumor clones. ..
- Oncocytic glioblastoma: a glioblastoma showing oncocytic changes and increased mitochondrial DNA copy numberGianluca Marucci
Department of Biomedical and Neuromotor Sciences, University of Bologna, Section of Pathology, M Malpighi, Bellaria Hospital, Via Altura 3, 40139 Bologna, Italy
Hum Pathol 44:1867-76. 2013....
- Histological findings in foetuses congenitally infected by cytomegalovirusLiliana Gabrielli
St Orsola Malpighi GH, University of Bologna, Italy
J Clin Virol 46:S16-21. 2009..Congenital cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection is a major cause of central nervous system damage leading to sensorineural hearing loss, mental retardation and cerebral palsy...
- Clinicopathologic parameters related to recurrence and locoregional metastasis in 180 oral squamous cell carcinomasLucio Montebugnoli
1University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Int J Surg Pathol 22:55-62. 2014..Perineural invasion proved a good prognostic factor for early events, either LNm or LR, while a surgical margin width less than 5 mm or with epithelial precursor lesions may be considered a risk factor for late events such as SPT...
- Genetic relationship between multiple squamous cell carcinomas arising in the oral cavityLucio Montebugnoli
Section of Oral Science, Department of Biomedical and Neuro Muscular Sciences, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Head Neck 36:94-100. 2014..The purpose of the present study was to apply mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) D-loop analysis to differentiate SPTs from local recurrences and to validate the clinical classification...
- Immunohistochemical expression of p16(INK4A) protein as a helpful marker of a subset of potentially malignant oral epithelial lesions: study on a series with long-term follow-upLucio Montebugnoli
Department of Oral Sciences, University of Bologna Unit of Maxillo Facial Surgery, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Histopathology 57:528-34. 2010....
- Rapid growth and regression of intracranial meningiomas in lymphangioleiomyomatosis: case reportEugenio Pozzati
Division of Neurosurgery and Service of Pathology, Bellaria Hospital and Respiratory Pathophysiology, S Orsola Policlinic, Bologna 40100, Italy
Surg Neurol 68:671-4; discussion 674-5. 2007..Lymphangioleiomyomatosis is a progressive interstitial lung disease that affects young women. It has been suggested that estrogens play a role in its evolution, and progesterone therapy is often provided in these cases...
- Thyrotropin-secreting pituitary tumours: significance of "atypical adenomas" in a series of 10 patients and association with Hashimoto thyroiditis as a cause of delay in diagnosisG Marucci
Section of Pathology, Department of Haematology and Oncology of the University of Bologna, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Clin Pathol 62:455-9. 2009..Thyrotropin-secreting adenomas (TSH-As) are rare and, according to the World Health Organization criteria (WHO 2004), a significant proportion of them present features of atypical adenomas at the time of diagnosis...
- Lobular carcinoma of the breast with hybrid myoepithelial and secretory ("myosecretory") cell differentiationMarina Del Vecchio
Section of Histopathology and Cytopathology, University of Bologna at Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Am J Surg Pathol 29:1530-6. 2005..Cells with hybrid features probably indicate that myoepithelial and secretory cells are strictly related and the existence of a stem cell, at least for these cases, is not necessary...
- Trisomy of chromosome 6 in Merkel cell carcinoma within lymph nodesFrancesco Vasuri
Section of Anatomic and Cytopathology, University of Bologna, M Malpighi, Ospedale Bellaria, Bologna, Italy
Virchows Arch 452:559-63. 2008..Whether lymph nodal MCCs are primary tumors or metastases from regressed skin lesions is still questionable, although several findings indicate a primary origin...
- p16(INK4) expression is not associated with human papillomavirus in oral lichen planusLucio Montebugnoli
Department of Biomedical and NeuroMotor Sciences DiBiNeM, University of Bologna, Section of Oral Science, Bologna, Italy Electronic address
Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 118:694-702. 2014..The present study is the first to evaluate both high p16(INK4) expression and HPV in patients with LP...
- Working formulation of neuroendocrine tumors of the skin and breastSofia Asioli
Department of Biomedical and Neuromotor Sciences, University of Bologna, Section of Anatomic Pathology M Malpighi, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Endocr Pathol 25:141-50. 2014..The latter includes heterogeneous lesions respectively of the skin and breast within the same group that have clinical features in common. ..
- MGMT promoter methylation status in clival chordomaGianluca Marucci
Department of Biomedical and NeuroMotor Sciences DiBiNeM, University of Bologna, Section of Pathology M Malpighi, Bellaria Hospital, Via Altura 3, 40139, Bologna, Italy
J Neurooncol 118:271-6. 2014....
- Histological and immunohistochemical evaluation of new epithelium after removal of oral leukoplakia with Nd:YAG laser treatmentLucio Montebugnoli
Department of Oral Science, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Lasers Med Sci 27:205-10. 2012..Ki67, as a marker of proliferative status, may be a prognostic indicator in the mucosa replacing the lesion...
- Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the spinal cord: Description of a case with cytogenetic analysisGianluca Marucci
Section of Anatomic Pathology, Department of Oncological Sciences, University of Bologna, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Int J Surg Pathol 14:340-3. 2006..It is a borderline tumor that may recur, may metastasize, and rarely causes death. The present case appears to be the first example of epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the spinal cord...
- Congenital cytomegalovirus infection in twin pregnancies: viral load in the amniotic fluid and pregnancy outcomeTiziana Lazzarotto
Section of Microbiology, Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine, St Orsola Malpighi General Hospital, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Pediatrics 112:e153-7. 2003..In such cases, with fetal infection of only 1 twin (at amniocentesis) and fusion of placentas, fetal outcome of both twins needs to be evaluated for the possibility of viral transfer from one fetus to the other...
- The neurovascular triad: mixed cavernous, capillary, and venous malformations of the brainstemEugenio Pozzati
Department of Neurosurgery, Sections of Neuroradiology and Pathology, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
J Neurosurg 107:1113-9. 2007..The authors present six patients with the clinicoradiographic profile of mixed vascular malformations of the brainstem, including cavernous malformation (CM), capillary telangiectasia, and developmental venous anomaly (DVA)...
- Correlation between histologic staging, hepatitis C virus genotypes and clinical features in HCV chronic hepatitis: evidence of a new patternL Di Tommaso
Department of Oncology, Section of Anatomic Pathology Marcello Malpighi, University of Bologna, Italy
Int J Surg Pathol 11:197-204. 2003..The latter could be the profile of HCV infection in the near future...
- Temozolomide-induced partial response in a patient with primary diffuse leptomeningeal gliomatosisEnrico Franceschi
Department of Medical Oncology, Bellaria Hospital, Via Altura 3, Bologna, 40139, Italy
J Neurooncol 73:261-4. 2005..After three cycles a partial response was achieved with a clear improvement of general conditions. In our knowledge, this is the first time that PDLG treatment with Temozolomide has been described...
- Prognostic value of Ki67 from clinically and histologically 'normal' distant mucosa in patients surgically treated for oral squamous cell carcinoma: a prospective studyL Montebugnoli
Department of Oral Science, University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy
Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 38:1165-72. 2009..Some patients surgically treated for OSCC have an abnormal proliferative status in areas distant from the primary tumour. The Ki67 value in these areas is a promising prognostic factor...
- Multiple keratoacanthomas: a case report with evidence of regression with thymic hormoneM P Foschini
Istituto di Anatomia ed Istologia Patologica, Ospedale Bellaria, Universita di Bologna, Italy
Br J Dermatol 124:479-82. 1991..The patient showed a moderate elevation of the T-helper/T-suppressor ratio. Therapy with thymic hormone appeared to improve the condition...
- [Values and limits in fine needle aspiration in the diagnosis of Warthin tumour of the parotid gland]A Righi
Dipartimento di Scienze Oncologiche, Sezione di Anatomia Patologica, Universita di Bologna, Ospedale Bellaria, Bologna
Pathologica 98:635-9. 2006....
- Fibrinogen storage disease without hypofibrinogenaemia associated with acute infectionG Marucci
Section of Pathology, Department of Oncology, University of Bologna, Bellaria Hospital, Bologna, Italy
Histopathology 42:22-5. 2003..The purpose of the present paper is to describe two cases of fibrinogen storage disease without associated hypofibrinogenaemia, which appeared during acute infectious diseases...
- [Myoepithelial differentiation markers in salivary gland neoplasia]F Scarpellini
Dipartimento di Oncologia, , Ospedale Bellaria, Via Altura 3, I-40139 Bologna, Italia
Pathologica 93:662-7. 2001..Among the four markers studied, CALP and smooth muscle actin were the most useful to identify myoepithelial cell differentiation...
- Actin isoform pattern expression: a tool for the diagnosis and biological characterization of human rhabdomyosarcomaSophie Clement
Department of Pathology, University of Geneva, 1 rue Michel Servet, 1211 Geneva 4, Switzerland
Virchows Arch 442:31-8. 2003..They also suggest that the expression of alpha-skeletal actin is valuable in determining the subtype and possibly the state of differentiation of these tumors...
- hNIS protein in thyroid: the iodine supply influences its expression and localizationAngela Scipioni
Department of Clinical Sciences and Department of Experimental Medicine and Pathology, University of Rome, La Sapienza, 00161 Rome, Italy
Thyroid 17:613-8. 2007..Since NIS expression is primarily modulated by thyroid iodine content in vitro and in animal models, we attempted to determine whether iodine supply influences the expression and localization of human NIS (hNIS) in NFTNs...
- Sentinel lymph node biopsy and non-sentinel node involvement in special type breast carcinomas with a good prognosisGabor Cserni
Department of Pathology, Bacs Kiskun County Teaching Hospital, Nyiri ut 38, H 6000 Kecskemet, Hungary
Eur J Cancer 43:1407-14. 2007..The opposite presentation of these factors would mandate SLN biopsy and axillary dissection, respectively...