Giovanni de Girolamo
Affiliation: Bellaria Hospital
- [Prevalence of common mental disorders in Italy, risk factors, health status, and utilization of health services: the ESEMeD-WMH project]Giovanni de Girolamo
Dipartimento di Salute Mentale, ASL di Bologna
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 14:1-100. 2005
- Health status of the advanced elderly in six European countries: results from a representative survey using EQ-5D and SF-12Hans Helmut Konig
Department of Medical Sociology and Health Economics, University Medical Center Hamburg Eppendorf, Martinistrasse 52, Hamburg, Germany
Health Qual Life Outcomes 8:143. 2010..Due to demographic change, the advanced elderly represent the fastest growing population group in Europe. Health problems tend to be frequent and increasing with age within this cohort...
- Residential facilities for older people in Italy: a five-region surveyGiovanni de Girolamo
Department of Mental Health, ASL Bologna, and Mental Health Unit, National Institute of Health, Rome, Italy
Aging Clin Exp Res 19:132-8. 2007....
- The current state of mental health care in Italy: problems, perspectives, and lessons to learnGiovanni de Girolamo
Dept of Mental Health, Azienda USL di Bologna, Viale Pepoli, Bologna, Italy
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 257:83-91. 2007..Greater attention must be paid to topics such as quality of care and outcomes, public and private sector balance, and the coordination of various resources and agencies...
- The ESEMeD-WMH project: strenghtening epidemiological research in Europe through the study of variation in prevalence estimatesGiovanni de Girolamo
Dipartimento di Salute Mentale, Viale Pepoli 5, 40123 Bologna
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 15:167-73. 2006..We conclude that despite the advances in knowledge about determinants and treatment methods, the care of the mentally ill is rather limited in Europe...
- Prevalence of common mental disorders in Italy: results from the European Study of the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders (ESEMeD)Giovanni de Girolamo
Department of Mental Health, Azienda USL di Bologna, Viale Pepoli, 5, 40123, Bologna, Italy
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 41:853-61. 2006..To present 1-month, 12-month and lifetime prevalence estimates of mood, anxiety and alcohol disorders in Italy; and the socio-demographic correlates and comorbidity patterns of these estimated disorders...
- Characteristics and activities of acute psychiatric in-patient facilities: national survey in ItalyGiovanni de Girolamo
Department of Mental Health, AUSL di Bologna, Viale Pepoli 5, 40123 Bologna, Italy
Br J Psychiatry 191:170-7. 2007..Legislation in 1978 led to the gradual replacement of mental hospitals in Italy with a full range of community-based services, including facilities for acute in-patient care...
- [Residential facilities for the elderly in five Italian regions. The Progres-Anziani Project]Giovanni de Girolamo
Dipartimento di Salute Mentale, ASL di Bologna
Epidemiol Prev 29:264-70. 2005..To survey all Residential Facilities (RFs) for the elderly in five Italian Regions (Calabria, Sardinia, Sicily. Umbria and Veneto), and to evaluate their logistic and organizational characteristics, staff and residents' features...
- A one-day census of acute psychiatric inpatient facilities in Italy: findings from the PROGRES-Acute ProjectAndrea Gaddini
Mental Health Unit, Agency for Public Health, Lazio Region, Rome, Italy
Psychiatr Serv 59:722-4. 2008..In Italy, monitoring and evaluation of community services, at both the local and national levels, is essential for policy development, implementation, and evaluation...
- Process of care in general hospital psychiatric units: national survey in ItalyAntonella Gigantesco
Istituto Superiore di Sanita, Viale Regina Elena, Rome, Italy
Aust N Z J Psychiatry 41:509-18. 2007..To investigate the process of care in Italian public acute inpatient facilities...
- Violent behavior in acute psychiatric inpatient facilities: a national survey in ItalyBruno Biancosino
Section of Psychiatry, Department of Mental Health, University of Ferrara, Ferrara, Italy
J Nerv Ment Dis 197:772-82. 2009....
- Prevalence of suicide ideation, plans, and attempts and related risk factors in Italy: results from the European Study on the Epidemiology of Mental Disorders--World Mental Health studyPaolo Scocco
Department of Mental Health, Azienda ULSS 16, 35100 Padua, Italy
Compr Psychiatry 49:13-21. 2008..Yet, no studies to date have examined the prevalence of and risk factors for suicide ideation, plans, and attempts, in the general population in Italy...
- How does the residential care system change? A longitudinal survey in a large region of ItalyGiovanni Neri
Department of Mental Health, Azienda USL di Modena, via Emilia Ovest 438 a, Modena, Italy
Community Ment Health J 47:201-8. 2011....
- Death ideas, suicidal thoughts, and plans among nursing home residentsPaolo Scocco
Department of Mental Health, Padua, Italy
J Geriatr Psychiatry Neurol 22:141-8. 2009..This high frequency of death and/or suicidal feelings and thoughts among older NH residents should be carefully considered when planning and implementing health care programs in these facilities...
- The severely mentally ill in residential facilities: a national survey in ItalyGiovanni de Girolamo
National Mental Health Project, National Institute of Health, Rome, Italy
Psychol Med 35:421-31. 2005..In Italy, Residential Facilities (RFs) have completely replaced Mental Hospitals (MHs) for the residential care of mentally ill patients. We studied all patients resident in 265 randomly sampled Italian RFs (20% of the total)...
- The quality of life of the mentally ill living in residential facilities: findings from a national survey in ItalyAngelo Picardi
Center of Epidemiology, Health Surveillance and Promotion, Italian National Institute of Health, Rome, Italy
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 256:372-81. 2006..This suggests the need of well-designed rehabilitation plans, tailored to patients' needs, to foster the development of their independence and, ultimately, improve their QOL...
- Neuropsychiatric symptoms and syndromes in institutionalized elderly people without dementiaLuca Cravello
IRCCS Fondazione Santa Lucia, Rome, Italy
Int Psychogeriatr 23:425-34. 2011..The aim of this work was to investigate neuropsychiatric syndromes in non-demented elderly people living in residential facilities (RFs)...
- [Residential structures and their guests: results of the phase 2 of the National Project PROGRES]Giovanni de Girolamo
Dipartimento di Salute Mentale, Azienda USL di Bologna
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 13:1-100. 2004
- Suicidal behaviour in nursing homes: a survey in a region of north-east ItalyPaolo Scocco
Department of Mental Health, Padua, Italy
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 21:307-11. 2006..To assess suicide and attempted suicide (AS) rates and their characteristics among older residents in Nursing Homes (NHs) of the Veneto region, in the North-East of Italy...
- Monitoring and evaluating the italian mental health system: the "Progetto Residenze" study and beyondAngelo Picardi
Mental Health Unit, National Center of Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Rome, Italy and IRCCS Fatebenefratelli, Brescia, Italy
J Nerv Ment Dis 202:451-9. 2014....
- Psychiatric units in general hospitals. Problems and perspectives in EuropeGiovanni de Girolamo
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 15:85-90. 2006
- The process of care in residential facilities--a national survey in ItalyGiovanni Santone
United Hospitals of Ancona, Politechnic University of Marche Ancona, Italy
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 40:540-50. 2005..The aim of this paper is to investigate the process of care in 265 RFs, representing 19.3% of all RFs in Italy, and to devise a classification of RFs based on process characteristics...
- The Italian preadolescent mental health project (PrISMA): rationale and methodsAlessandra Frigerio
Child Psychiatry Unit, Scientific Institute E Medea, Bosisio Parini LC, Italy
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 15:22-35. 2006..The findings of this study are expected to allow an adequate planning of interventions for the prevention and the treatment of mental disorders in preadolescence as well as efficient health services...
- Clinical factors influencing the prescription of antidepressants and benzodiazepines: results from the European study of the epidemiology of mental disorders (ESEMeD)Koen Demyttenaere
Department of Psychiatry, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium
J Affect Disord 110:84-93. 2008..To examine factors associated with the use of antidepressants (AD) and benzodiazepines (BZD) in 6 European countries...
- [Drug prescription in Italian Residential Facilities]Rodolfo Tomasi
Servizio Psichiatrico, AS di Bolzano, Bolzano
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 14:77-90. 2005....
- [Costs of psychiatric residential care in Italy]Laura Grigoletti
Dipartimento di Medicina e Sanita Pubblica, Sezione di Psichiatria e Psicologia Clinica, Universita di Verona, Verona, Italy
Epidemiol Psichiatr Soc 13:262-9. 2004..The aims of this study are: (1) to estimate patients' costs in Italian non hospital Residential Facilities (RF); (2) to analyse the relationship between the costs of care received by residents and patients' or facilities characteristics...
- Concordance of the Composite International Diagnostic Interview Version 3.0 (CIDI 3.0) with standardized clinical assessments in the WHO World Mental Health surveysJosep Maria Haro
Int J Methods Psychiatr Res 15:167-80. 2006..The validity of the CIDI is likely to be under-estimated in these comparisons due to the fact that the reliability of the SCID diagnoses, which is presumably less than perfect, sets a ceiling on maximum CIDI-SCID concordance...
- Symptom structure of acute mania: a factor study of the 24-item Brief Psychiatric Rating Scale in a national sample of patients hospitalized for a manic episodeAngelo Picardi
Italian National Institute of Health, Center of Epidemiology, Surveillance and Health Promotion, Mental Health Unit, Viale Regina Elena, 299 00161 Rome, Italy
J Affect Disord 108:183-9. 2008..Most studies included not only manic patients, but also patients with a mixed episode or other severe mental disorders. We aimed at further elucidating the symptom structure of manic states...
- Use of mental health services for anxiety, mood, and substance disorders in 17 countries in the WHO world mental health surveysPhilip S Wang
Division of Services and Intervention Research, National Institute of Mental Health, Rockville, MD, USA
Lancet 370:841-50. 2007..We describe mental health care in 17 countries participating in the WHO world mental health (WMH) survey initiative and examine unmet needs for treatment...
- Population level of unmet need for mental healthcare in EuropeJordi Alonso
Health Services Research Unit, Institut Municipal d Investigacio Medica, Carrer del Doctor Aiguader, 88 E 08003 Barcelona, Spain
Br J Psychiatry 190:299-306. 2007..The high prevalence of mental disorders has fuelled controversy about the need for mental health services...
- Mental disorders among persons with heart disease - results from World Mental Health surveysJohan Ormel
Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Groningen, University of Groningen, 9700 RB Groningen, The Netherlands
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 29:325-34. 2007..Consistency across emotional disorders and cultures would suggest that relatively universal mechanisms underlie the association...
- The relation between multiple pains and mental disorders: results from the World Mental Health SurveysOye Gureje
Department of Psychiatry, University of Ibadan, Ibadan, Nigeria
Pain 135:82-91. 2008....
- Mental health in Europe: a long road aheadGiovanni de Girolamo
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 257:63. 2007
- Prevalence, severity, and unmet need for treatment of mental disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health SurveysKoen Demyttenaere
JAMA 291:2581-90. 2004..Little is known about the extent or severity of untreated mental disorders, especially in less-developed countries...
- Franco Basaglia, 1924-1980Giovanni de Girolamo
Department of Applied and Psychobehavioral Health Sciences, University of Pavia, via Bassi 21, 27100 Pavia, Italy
Am J Psychiatry 165:968. 2008
- Services research and outcomes: an introductionMariano Bassi
Curr Opin Psychiatry 19:378-9. 2006
- Disability and treatment of specific mental and physical disorders across the worldJohan Ormel
Department of Psychiatry, University Medical Center Groningen, and Graduate School of Behavioural and Cognitive Neurosciences and Graduate School for Experimental Psychopathology, University of Groningen, The Netherlands
Br J Psychiatry 192:368-75. 2008..Advocates of expanded mental health treatment assert that mental disorders are as disabling as physical disorders, but little evidence supports this assertion...
- Mental disorders among persons with chronic back or neck pain: results from the World Mental Health SurveysKoen Demyttenaere
Department of Neurosciences and Psychiatry, University Hospital Gasthuisberg, Herestraat 49, B 3000 Leuven, Belgium
Pain 129:332-42. 2007..The association of mental disorders with back/neck pain showed a consistent pattern across both developed and developing countries...
- Adverse parenting as a risk factor in the occurrence of anxiety disorders : a study in six European countriesDirk Heider
Health Economics Research Unit, Dept of Psychiatry, University of Leipzig, Johannisallee 20, 04317 Leipzig, Germany
Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol 43:266-72. 2008..The aim of the study was to test the homogeneity of the association between adverse parenting and anxiety disorders within these disorders as well as among six European countries...
- Mental disorders among adults with asthma: results from the World Mental Health SurveyKate M Scott
Department of Psychological Medicine, Wellington School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of Otago, PO Box 7343, Wellington South, New Zealand
Gen Hosp Psychiatry 29:123-33. 2007....
- Cross-national prevalence and risk factors for suicidal ideation, plans and attemptsMatthew K Nock
Department of Psychology, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138, USA
Br J Psychiatry 192:98-105. 2008..Suicide is a leading cause of death worldwide; however, the prevalence and risk factors for the immediate precursors to suicide - suicidal ideation, plans and attempts - are not wellknown, especially in low- and middle-income countries...