Affiliation: Technion-Israel Institute of Technology
- The 20-min trial of the maintenance of wakefulness test is profoundly affected by motivationRoni Shreter
The Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center and Faculty of Medicine, Technion, Haifa, 31096, Israel
Sleep Breath 10:173-9. 2006..In addition, we believe that these results suggest that for renewal of driving license purposes, the MWT20 is insufficient. We speculate that MWT40, with tighter cutoff threshold, would be a more effective tool...
- [Challenges in the progress of sleep research and sleep medicine]Giora Pillar
Sleep Lab, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center and Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
Harefuah 148:285-6, 352. 2009..SeveraL additional articLes in the issue shed further light on recent discoveries in the field of steep medicine...
- Abdominal fat and sleep apnea: the chicken or the egg?Giora Pillar
Sleep Lab, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Diabetes Care 31:S303-9. 2008..Thus, it appears that obesity and OSA form a vicious cycle where each results in worsening of the other...
- An automatic ambulatory device for detection of AASM defined arousals from sleep: the WP100Giora Pillar
Sleep Laboratory, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Sleep Med 4:207-12. 2003..In the current study we sought to extend these findings to the Watch_PAT100 (WP100), an ambulatory device measuring PAT, oximetry and actigraphy...
- Sleep disturbances are associated with reduced school achievements in first-grade pupilsSarit Ravid
Pediatric Neurology Unit, Pediatric Department, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Dev Neuropsychol 34:574-87. 2009..64 (p < .01). Children who failed first grade had significantly inferior sleep patterns. Sleep disturbances were associated with cognitive and emotional immaturity...
- The effects of 1-year treatment with a herbst mandibular advancement splint on obstructive sleep apnea, oxidative stress, and endothelial functionSarah Itzhaki
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa 31096, Israel
Chest 131:740-9. 2007..In the current study, we assessed the effect of long-term modified Herbst mandibular advancement splint (MAS) treatment on OSA, oxidative stress markers, and on endothelial function (EF)...
- Forty- versus 20-minute trials of the maintenance of wakefulness test regimen for licensing of driversLimor Arzi
The Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center, Technion, Haifa, Israel
J Clin Sleep Med 5:57-62. 2009..In this study, we sought to examine whether the 40-minute protocol (MWT40) is a better tool in assessing such individuals...
- Double-blind placebo and active (caffeine) controlled study to examine the effects of the herbal nutritional supplement beverage "Wake up" on vigilance and function after lunchOla Kassis
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 15:419-23. 2013..Post-lunch dip is a well-known phenomenon that results in a substantial deterioration in function and productivity after lunch...
- Endothelial dysfunction in obstructive sleep apnea measured by peripheral arterial tone response in the finger to reactive hyperemiaSarah Itzhaki
Lloyd Rigler Sleep Apnea Research Laboratory, Ruth and Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Sleep 28:594-600. 2005..The aim of this study was to investigate endothelial functioning in sleep apnea patients using a novel plethysmographic device that monitors peripheral arterial tone response in the finger to reactive hyperemia induced by forearm ischemia...
- [Sleep spindles in post traumatic stress disorder: significant importance of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors]Yaniv Dotan
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Hospital, Medicine Faculty, Technion Institute, Haifa, Israel
Harefuah 147:763-7, 839-40. 2008..The relationships between PTSD or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRI) to SS density are not described in the literature...
- Interactions between hypoglycemia and sleep architecture in children with type 1 diabetes mellitusGiora Pillar
Pediatrics Department A, Rambam Medical Center, and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Pediatr 142:163-8. 2003..To assess the interactions between nocturnal hypoglycemia and sleep in children with type 1 diabetes mellitus (DM)...
- [The relationship between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and sleep-alertness problems]Natali Golan
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center Meyer Children s Hospital and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Harefuah 143:676-80, 693. 2004..Sleep problems, primarily treatable such as Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA) or Periodic Limb Movements Disorder in Sleep (PLMD), should be investigated in the assessment of these children...
- Control of childhood congenital adrenal hyperplasia and sleep activity and quality with morning or evening glucocorticoid therapyAlina German
Pediatric Endocrinology, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa 31096, Israel
J Clin Endocrinol Metab 93:4707-10. 2008..Yet, increased night cortisol has been claimed to be associated with sleep disturbances and insomnia...
- [Movement disorders in sleep]Tamar Etzioni
Sleep Lab, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center and Technion, Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Harefuah 146:544-8, 573. 2007..This review briefly describes these movement disorders in sleep, and highlights their diagnosis and treatment. It emphasizes the recent development and novel knowledge in this field in recent years...
- Kindergarten children's failure to qualify for first grade could result from sleep disturbancesSarit Ravid
Pediatric Department, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Child Neurol 24:816-22. 2009..In conclusion, children who fail to qualify for first grade have significantly inferior sleep patterns. Sleep disturbances were associated with cognitive and emotional immaturity...
- Prevalence and risk of sleep disturbances in adolescents after minor head injuryGiora Pillar
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center and Technion IIT, Haifa, Israel
Pediatr Neurol 29:131-5. 2003..Risk factors include heavier body mass and poorer parental education...
- Controlled sleep restriction for rhythmic movement disorderTamar Etzioni
Sleep Lab, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
J Pediatr 147:393-5. 2005..This therapeutic success suggests that rhythmic movement disorder results from a voluntary self-soothing behavior...
- Sleep disorders and daytime sleepiness in children with attention-deficit/hyperactive disorderNatali Golan
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Sleep 27:261-6. 2004..We hypothesized that children with ADHD are in fact sleepy during the day, and we sought to test it objectively...
- Influence of gender and age on upper-airway length during developmentOhad Ronen
Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, Carmel Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Pediatrics 120:e1028-34. 2007....
- Autonomic arousal index: an automated detection based on peripheral arterial tonometryGiora Pillar
Sleep Laboratory, Bruce Rappaport Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa
Sleep 25:543-9. 2002..88. We conclude that automated analysis of the peripheral arterial tonometry signal can detect EEG arousals from sleep, in a relatively quick and reproducible fashion...
- Uncontrolled type 1 diabetes mellitus and endothelial dysfunction in adolescentsYael Shachor-Meyouhas
Department of Pediatrics A, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 9:637-40. 2007..Although complications from type 1 diabetes are infrequent during childhood, endothelial dysfunction, which is an early marker of vascular complications, may occur...
- Asynchrony of lingual muscle recruitment during sleep in obstructive sleep apneaYaniv Dotan
Bnai Zion Medical Centre, Haifa, Israel
J Appl Physiol (1985) 118:1516-24. 2015..These findings suggest that sleep-induced alteration in tongue muscle coordination may be responsible for the failure of high genioglossal EMG activity to alleviate flow limitation. ..
- Placebo for a single night improves sleep in patients with objective insomniaEldor Rogev
Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Health Care Campus, Haifa, Israel
Isr Med Assoc J 15:434-8. 2013..Treatment options are improved sleep hygiene, relaxation, cognitive behavioral therapy, and medications. Studies examining the effect of hypnotics on insomnia reported that placebo had a substantial beneficial effect...
- Evening-morning differences in blood pressure in sleep apnea syndrome: effect of genderKaren Lavie-Nevo
Sleep Medicine Center, Rambam Hospital, Ruth and Bruce Faculty of Medicine, Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa, Israel
Am J Hypertens 19:1064-9. 2006..In the current study we sought to determine whether the evening-morning differences in blood pressure (BP) would correlate with the severity of OSA and whether there are gender-related differences...
- Severe hypersomnolence after pituitary/hypothalamic surgery in adolescents: clinical characteristics and potential mechanismsAyelet Snow
Department of Pediatrics A and Sleep Laboratory, Rambam Medical Center and Technion, Haifa, Israel
Pediatrics 110:e74. 2002..We further hypothesized that decrements in orexin levels may contribute to the sleepiness...
- Apparent life-threatening events: neurological correlates and the mandatory work-upJacob Genizi
Child Neurology Unit and Epilepsy Service, Meyer Childrens Hospital, Rambam Medical Center, Rappaport School of Medicine, Haifa 31096, Israel
J Child Neurol 23:1305-7. 2008..As such, recommendations are that history taking and repeat physical examination still remain the major diagnostic tools before resorting to extensive laboratory studies...
- Dissociation of electromyogram and mechanical response in sleep apnoea during propofol anaesthesiaYaniv Dotan
Dept of Internal Medicine, Bnai Zion Medical Center, Technion, Israel
Eur Respir J 41:74-84. 2013..During propofol anaesthesia, pharyngeal occlusion persists despite large increases in genioglossus EMG, in the presence of a preserved mechanical response to electrical stimulation...
- Breastfeeding may improve nocturnal sleep and reduce infantile colic: potential role of breast milk melatoninAnat Cohen Engler
Sleep Lab, Rambam Medical Center, Haifa, Israel
Eur J Pediatr 171:729-32. 2012..04), lower severity of irritability attacks (p = 0.03), and a trend for longer nocturnal sleep duration (p = 0.06). Melatonin in human milk showed a clear circadian curve and was unmeasurable in all artificial milks...
- Unsuccessful suicide attempt of a 15 year old adolescent with ingestion of 5000 mg modafinilGal Neuman
Pediatrics Department A, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center, and Technion Faculty of Medicine, Haifa, Israel
J Clin Sleep Med 5:372-3. 2009..Observation for 72 hours revealed 24 hours of inability to sleep, tachycardia, and dyskinesia. There was no deterioration of kidney or liver functions, and no change in complete blood count or blood pressure...
- The occurrence of cheyne-stokes respiration in congestive heart failure: the effect of ageAvivit Peer
Sleep Laboratory, Meyer Children s Hospital, Rambam Medical Center and Technion Israel Institute of Technology Haifa, Israel
Front Psychiatry 1:133. 2010..Thus, we speculate that regardless of the exact mechanism which drives CSR, age is an over-riding factor...
- Management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea: which way to go?Giora Pillar
Isr Med Assoc J 6:699-700. 2004
- Follow-up assessment of CPAP efficacy in patients with obstructive sleep apnea using an ambulatory device based on peripheral arterial tonometryStephen D Pittman
Division of Sleep Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, 75 Francis Street, Boston, MA 02115 5817, USA
Sleep Breath 10:123-31. 2006..The Watch_PAT device accurately identified participants with moderate-severe SDB while using CPAP in the attended setting of a sleep laboratory...
- Aging influences on pharyngeal anatomy and physiology: the predisposition to pharyngeal collapseAtul Malhotra
Sleep Medicine and Pulmonary Critical Care Divisions, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Mass 02115, USA
Am J Med 119:72.e9-14. 2006
- The relationship between obstructive sleep apnea, nocturia, and daytime overactive bladder syndrome in womenLior Lowenstein
Division of Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Loyola Medical Center, Chicago, IL 60153, USA
Am J Obstet Gynecol 198:598.e1-5. 2008....
- Evaluation of a portable device based on peripheral arterial tone for unattended home sleep studiesAmir Bar
Itamar Medical Ltd, Caesarea, Israel
Chest 123:695-703. 2003..The Watch PAT100 (WP100) [Itamar Medical; Caesarea, Israel] is a portable device based on the peripheral arterial tone (PAT) signal, and is designed for unattended home sleep studies...
- The male predisposition to pharyngeal collapse: importance of airway lengthAtul Malhotra
Division of Sleep Medicine, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 166:1388-95. 2002..This study suggests that the male predisposition to pharyngeal collapse is anatomically based, primarily as the result of an increased length of vulnerable airway as well as increased soft palate size...
- Continuous positive airway pressure reduces nocturia in patients with obstructive sleep apneaDavid Margel
Institute of Urology, Rabin Medical Center, Petah Tiqva, Israel
Urology 67:974-7. 2006..To examine whether treatment with continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) reduces nocturia in patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA)...
- Awake negative pressure reflex response of the genioglossus in OSA patients and normal subjectsRichard B Berry
Medical Health Care Group, Long Beach Veterans Affairs Medical Center, University of California, Irvine, California 90822, USA
J Appl Physiol (1985) 94:1875-82. 2003..05) at a suction pressure of approximately 13 cmH(2)O. We conclude that the response of the genioglossus to NPA during wakefulness is not impaired in OSA patients compared with normal subjects and is greater at low suction pressures...
- Differentiating between light and deep sleep stages using an ambulatory device based on peripheral arterial tonometryMa ayan Bresler
University of California, Berkeley, USA
Physiol Meas 29:571-84. 2008..The automatic sleep stages detection algorithm could be very useful for unattended ambulatory sleep monitoring assessing sleep stages when EEG recordings are not available...
- Severe, but not mild, obstructive sleep apnea syndrome is associated with erectile dysfunctionDavid Margel
Institute of Urology, Rabin Medical Center, Beilinson Campus, Petah Tikva, Israel
Urology 63:545-9. 2004..OSAS is associated with fatigue and daily dysfunction. We hypothesized that OSA severity will correlate with ED. We also sought to determine the specific features with predictive value for ED in patients with OSAS...
- A novel adaptive wrist actigraphy algorithm for sleep-wake assessment in sleep apnea patientsJan Hedner
Sleep Laboratory, Pulmonary Medicine, Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg, Sweden
Sleep 27:1560-6. 2004....
- REM-sleep changes in children with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder: methodologic and neurobiologic considerationsRoumen Kirov
Sleep 27:1215. 2004
- Evaluation of endothelial function in women with polycystic ovary syndromeLior Lowenstein
Reproductive Endocrinology, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Rambam Health Care Campus and Technion Israel Institute of Technology, Haifa 31096, Israel
Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol 134:208-12. 2007..We sought to evaluate the vascular reactivity specifically the endothelial function (EF) in women with PCOS and to study the effect of metformin on their EF...
- Upper airway in obstructive sleep apnea--controversies continueGiora Pillar
J Sleep Res 17:123-4. 2008
- Pharyngeal pressure and flow effects on genioglossus activation in normal subjectsAtul Malhotra
Sleep Medicine Division and Pulmonary and Critical Care Division, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Am J Respir Crit Care Med 165:71-7. 2002..These data suggest that independent of central pattern generator activity, intrapharyngeal negative pressure itself modulates genioglossus activity both within breaths and between breaths...