Chie Wei Fan
Affiliation: St James's Hospital
- The effect of sleeping with the head of the bed elevated six inches on elderly patients with orthostatic hypotension: an open randomised controlled trialChie Wei Fan
Mercer s Institute for Research on Ageing MIRA, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Age Ageing 40:187-92. 2011..the evidence for 6-inch tilt sleeping-head-up (SHU), a common therapy for the treatment of orthostatic hypotension (OH) in older people, is unavailable...
- Compliance of external hip protector use amongst elderly day hospital attendersC W Fan
St James s Hospital, Dublin
Ir J Med Sci 174:49-54. 2005..When worn external Hip Protectors (EHP) reduce hip fracture but poor compliance results in reduced efficacy...
- Acute haemodynamic response to sleeping head-up at 6 inches in older inpatientsChie Wei Fan
Mercer s Institute for Research on Ageing, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Clin Auton Res 19:51-7. 2009..Our aim was to investigate the effect of monotherapy of sleeping head-up (SHU) at 6 in. in a group of older inpatients with OH from all causes...
- Physiological effects of sleeping with the head of the bed elevated 18 in. in young healthy volunteersC W Fan
Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
Ir J Med Sci 177:371-7. 2008..Sleeping with the head of bed tilted upwards (SHU) is recommended as a treatment of orthostatic hypotension though the supporting evidence is weak...
- Postal questionnaire survey: the use of sleeping with the head of the bed tilted upright for treatment of orthostatic hypotension in clinical practiceChie Wei Fan
Falls and Syncope Service, Mercers Institute for Research on Ageing, St James Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Age Ageing 35:529-32. 2006
- Frailty, depression, and anxiety in later lifeAine M Ni Mhaolain
TRIL Clinic Technology Research for Independent Living, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Int Psychogeriatr 24:1265-74. 2012..Frailty is a geriatric syndrome inferring increased risk of poor outcomes. Our objective was to explore the relationship between frailty and clinically significant anxiety and depression in later life...
- Depression: a modifiable factor in fearful older fallers transitioning to frailty?Aine M Ni Mhaolain
Technology Research for Independent Living Clinic, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Int J Geriatr Psychiatry 27:727-33. 2012..Our aim was to evaluate the psychological factors associated with fear of falling in a group of fallers transitioning to frailty when compared with robust or non-frail fallers...
- Using the Finometer to examine sex differences in hemodynamic responses to orthostasis in older peopleRoman Romero-Ortuno
Technology Research for Independent Living Centre, Trinity College Dublin, Ireland
Blood Press Monit 15:8-17. 2010..In older people, these sex differences are less studied. Our aim was to contribute evidence...
- Mayer wave activity in vasodepressor carotid sinus hypersensitivityCiarán Finucane
Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, St James s Hospital, Dublin 8, Ireland
Europace 12:247-53. 2010..We hypothesize that VDCSH is due to impaired baroreflex function and that Mayer wave amplitude and oscillation frequency are therefore altered...
- Diurnal variations in the outcomes of instrumented gait and quiet standing balance assessments and their association with falls historyEmer P Doheny
Technology Research for Independent Living Centre, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Physiol Meas 33:361-73. 2012..These results indicate that, with the exception of single support time, the association of gait and quiet standing balance parameters with falls risk does not vary diurnally...
- Age-related normative changes in phasic orthostatic blood pressure in a large population study: findings from The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA)Ciarán Finucane
From The Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing TILDA, Department of Medical Gerontology, Trinity College Dublin, Dublin, Ireland C F, M D L O, H N, H C, R A K Department of Medical Physics and Bioengineering, St James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland C F, C J S Department of Medical Gerontology, Mater Hospital, Dublin, Ireland C W F and School of Health Sciences, University of East Anglia, Norwich, United Kingdom G M S
Circulation 130:1780-9. 2014....
- Falls and falls efficacy: the role of sustained attention in older adultsAisling M O'Halloran
TRIL Centre, St, James s Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
BMC Geriatr 11:85. 2011..The aim of this study was to investigate whether performance and variability in sustained attention is associated with falls and falls efficacy in older adults...
- Amnesia for loss of consciousness is common in vasovagal syncopeClodagh O'Dwyer
Falls and Blackout Unit, Department of Medical Gerontology, St James s Hospital, James St, Dublin 8, Ireland
Europace 13:1040-5. 2011..Furthermore, we wished to determine if A-LOC is an age-dependent phenomenon in VVS and whether haemodynamic parameters on tilting can predict for A-LOC...
- Intolerance to initial orthostasis relates to systolic BP changes in eldersRoman Romero-Ortuno
TRIL Clinic, Trinity College Dublin, Hospital 4, Top Floor, St James s Hospital, James s Street, Dublin 8, Ireland
Clin Auton Res 20:39-45. 2010....