Affiliation: National University of Ireland
- Inter-hospital outbreak of Klebsiella pneumoniae producing KPC-2 carbapenemase in IrelandDearbhaile Morris
Antimicrobial Resistance and Microbial Ecology ARME Group, School of Medicine, National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Ireland
J Antimicrob Chemother 67:2367-72. 2012..To describe an outbreak of KPC-2-producing Klebsiella pneumoniae with inter-hospital spread and measures taken to control transmission...
- Enterococcus faecium of the vanA genotype in rural drinking water, effluent, and the aqueous environmentDearbhaile Morris
Discipline of Bacteriology, School of Medicine, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 78:596-8. 2012..VRE were detected in the outflow of a wastewater treatment plant and in a single rural drinking water supply, suggesting potential for transmission to humans through environmental contamination...
- Salmonella enterica serotype Bredeney: antimicrobial susceptibility and molecular diversity of isolates from Ireland and Northern IrelandMartin Cormican
National Salmonella Reference Laboratory, Department of Medical Microbiology, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 68:181-6. 2002..Overall results indicate that most S. enterica serotype Bredeney isolates in Ireland and Northern Ireland from animal and human sources are clonally related...
- Increasing prevalence of ESBL production among Irish clinical Enterobacteriaceae from 2004 to 2008: an observational studyJerome Fennell
Department of Medical Microbiology, Galway University Hospitals, Galway, Ireland
BMC Infect Dis 12:116. 2012..Although initially associated with healthcare settings, more recent international reports have shown increasing isolation of ESBLs in the community. Both hospital and community ESBL epidemiology in Ireland are poorly defined...
- Enumeration and characterization of antimicrobial-resistant Escherichia coli bacteria in effluent from municipal, hospital, and secondary treatment facility sourcesSandra Galvin
Department of Bacteriology, Clinical Science Institute, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 76:4772-9. 2010..coli was not eliminated, and E. coli resistant to cefotaxime (including extended-spectrum beta-lactamase [ESBL] producers), ciprofloxacin, and cefoxitin was present in treated effluent samples...
- Characterization of a novel extended-spectrum β-lactamase phenotype from OXA-1 expression in Salmonella Typhimurium strains from Africa and IrelandFiona Boyle
School of Medicine, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis 70:549-53. 2011..P(2) was activated by the insertion of a triplet 'GGG' upstream of the -10 signal. All African strains were ST313, prevalent in this continent, and the Irish isolate belonged to ST19...
- Cost-effective application of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis to typing of Salmonella enterica Serovar TyphimuriumGeraldine Doran
National Salmonella Reference Laboratory, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
Appl Environ Microbiol 71:8236-40. 2005..Analysis of experience with PFGE and phage typing can facilitate the selective application of PFGE to maximize the yield of epidemiologically relevant additional information while controlling costs...
- Colonisation with ESBL-producing and carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae, vancomycin-resistant enterococci, and meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a long-term care facility over one yearCatherine Ludden
Discipline of Bacteriology, School of Medicine, National University of Ireland Galway, Galway, Ireland
BMC Infect Dis 15:168. 2015....
- Extended-spectrum beta-lactamases in Ireland, including a novel enzyme, TEM-102Dearbhaile Morris
Department of Bacteriology, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland
Antimicrob Agents Chemother 47:2572-8. 2003..The study suggests dissemination of ESBL-producing bacteria within the health care system in Ireland and emphasizes the need for measures to control such spread...