Affiliation: Cork University Hospital
- Stress-related hormonal suppression of natural killer activity does not show menstrual cycle variations: implications for timing of surgery for breast cancerMalcolm Garland
Education and Research Centre, St Vincent s University Hospital, Conway Institute, University College Dublin, Dublin 4, Ireland
Anticancer Res 23:2531-5. 2003....
- Cortisol does not mediate the suppressive effects of psychiatric morbidity on natural killer cell activity: a cross-sectional study of patients with early breast cancerMalcolm R Garland
Education and Research Centre, St Vincent s University Hospital, Elm Park, Dublin 4, Ireland
Psychol Med 34:481-90. 2004..Secondary aims were to study the relationship between psychological, endocrine and immune variables and baseline tumour characteristics...
- Essential fatty acids and their role in conditions characterised by impulsivityMalcolm R Garland
The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland and the Department of Psychiatry Beaumont Hospital, Dublin
Int Rev Psychiatry 18:99-105. 2006..This paper summarises the literature in terms of epidemiology, clinical science and therapeutics in clinical and non-clinical populations...
- Lipids and essential fatty acids in patients presenting with self-harmMalcolm R Garland
Department of Adult Psychiatry, Galway University Hospital and the Clinical Sciences Institute, National University of Ireland, Ireland
Br J Psychiatry 190:112-7. 2007..Low cholesterol has been reliably demonstrated in people who self-harm...
- Essential fatty acids and their role in the treatment of impulsivity disordersBrian Hallahan
The Royal College of Surgeons of Ireland, Beaumont Hospital, Dublin, Ireland
Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids 71:211-6. 2004....
- Essential fatty acids and mental healthBrian Hallahan
Br J Psychiatry 186:275-7. 2005
- The effects of vagus nerve stimulation on pro- and anti-inflammatory cytokines in humans: a preliminary reportCiaran Corcoran
Department of Psychiatry, Beaumont Hospital, and Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Dublin, Ireland
Neuroimmunomodulation 12:307-9. 2005..As the vagus nerve has potentially important immunological actions that may have relevance to its therapeutic effects, we hypothesised that an additional mechanism may occur via vagally mediated actions on cytokine synthesis...
- Omega-3 fatty acid supplementation in patients with recurrent self-harm. Single-centre double-blind randomised controlled trialBrian Hallahan
Department of Psychiatry, Beaumont Hospital and The Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland, Ireland
Br J Psychiatry 190:118-22. 2007..Trials have demonstrated benefits of long-chain omega-3 essential fatty acid (n-3 EFA) supplementation in a variety of psychiatric disorders...