- Global anthelmintic chemotherapy programs: learning from history
Trends Parasitol 19:405-9. 2003
..The challenge will now be to make it happen, and some of the problems ahead are truly massive...
- A cluster randomized study of the safety of integrated treatment of trachoma and lymphatic filariasis in children and adults in Sikasso, Mali
Yaya Ibrahim Coulibaly
Centre National d Appui à la lutte contre la Maladie, Bamako, Mali
PLoS Negl Trop Dis 7:e2221. 2013
..Currently lymphatic filariasis (albendazole/ivermectin) and trachoma (azithromycin) are treated separately. Consequently, financial and logistical benefit can be gained from integration of preventive chemotherapy programs in such areas...
- A pivotal registration phase III, multicenter, randomized tuberculosis controlled trial: design issues and lessons learnt from the Gatifloxacin for TB (OFLOTUB) project
Corinne S C Merle
Faculty of Epidemiology and Population Health, Tropical Epidemiological Group, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Keppel Street, London, WC1E 7HT, UK
Trials 13:61. 2012
..re-infections in the definition of the outcome? What is the optimal length of patient follow-up? Is blinding appropriate when treatment duration in test arm is shorter? What are the appropriate assumptions for sample size calculation?..
- Albendazole for the treatment of echinococcosis
GlaxoSmithKline, GSK House, 980, Great West Road, Brentford, UK
Fundam Clin Pharmacol 17:205-12. 2003
..As diagnostic tools are ever more widely available, the question as to who should be treated in endemic communities has to be answered...
- Albendazole: a broad spectrum anthelminthic for treatment of individuals and populations
Deseases of the Developing World, GlaxoSmithKline, Brentford, UK
Curr Opin Infect Dis 15:599-608. 2002
..This review highlights some important steps in fundamental research and the management of helminth disease that have occurred in the past year, appearing in the published literature...
- Proposing the motion
Tropical Projects, 24 The Paddock, Hitchin, Hertfordshire SG4 9EF, UK
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 97:12-3. 2003
- The development of albendazole for lymphatic filariasis
Tropical Projects, 24 The Paddock, Hitchin SG4 9EF, UK
Ann Trop Med Parasitol 103:S33-40. 2009
..While there is no doubt about the efficacy of albendazole for the treatment of many helminth diseases, as a single agent it could never be recommended for filariasis...
- An analysis of the safety of the single dose, two drug regimens used in programmes to eliminate lymphatic filariasis
Department of Therapeutics Tropical Medicine, SmithKline Beecham International, Brentford, Mliddlesex, UK
Parasitology 121:S147-60. 2000
..Additional data are also recommended for populations infected with Brugia malayi, since most data thus far derive from populations infected with Wuchereria bancrofti...
- Human gastrointestinal helminth infections: are they now neglected diseases?
Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutics, University of Liverpool, Ashton Street, Liverpool L69 3GE, UK
Trends Parasitol 19:527-31. 2003
- Human loiasis in a Cameroonian village: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover clinical trial of a three-day albendazole regimen
Tabe Ebob Tabi
Biotechnology Center, Yaounde, Cameroon
Am J Trop Med Hyg 71:211-5. 2004
..Most subjects continued to have elevations in microfilaremia, suggesting that more intensive regimens of albendazole will be necessary to reduce Loa microfilaremia to levels safe enough to allow for ivermectin use...
- A phase II dose-ranging study of sitamaquine for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in India
Tara K Jha
Kala azar Research Center, Muzaffarpur, India
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:1005-11. 2005
..Nephrotic syndrome (3% [3 of 120]) and glomerulonephritis (2% [2 of 120]) were also reported and require further investigation. Oral sitamaquine demonstrated efficacy in Indian VL and was well tolerated...
- Breast cancer in 2020: what can we expect?
Cancer Detect Prev 30:109-10. 2006
- Impact of repeated mass treatment on human Oesophagostomum and hookworm infections in northern Ghana
Juventus B Ziem
Department of Parasitology, Leiden University Medical Centre, Leiden, The Netherlands
Trop Med Int Health 11:1764-72. 2006
..The prospects of eliminating human oesophagostomiasis from the intervention area, while simultaneously achieving an important reduction of hookworm prevalences by albendazole mass treatment, are discussed...
- Clinical management of cystic echinococcosis: state of the art, problems, and perspectives
Section of Clinical Tropical Medicine, University Hospital Heidelberg, Heidelberg, Germany
Am J Trop Med Hyg 79:301-11. 2008
..In this paper, we review the current management procedures of CE with particular emphasis on the evidence base and setting-specific problems...
- Progress over a decade, a century, a millennium
Cancer Control 10:4. 2003
- A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, dose-ranging trial of tafenoquine for weekly prophylaxis against Plasmodium falciparum
Braden R Hale
US Navy Medical Research Unit No 3, Cairo, Egypt
Clin Infect Dis 36:541-9. 2003
..Tafenoquine dosages of 50, 100, and 200 mg/week were safe, well tolerated, and effective against P. falciparum infection in this study population...
- A phase II dose-increasing study of sitamaquine for the treatment of visceral leishmaniasis in Kenya
Monique K Wasunna
Center for Clinical Research, Kenya Medical Research Institute, Nairobi, Kenya
Am J Trop Med Hyg 73:871-6. 2005
..5 mg/kg/day and 3.0 mg/kg/day dose groups had a severe renal adverse event. The effects of sitamaquine on the kidney need further investigation. Sitamaquine was efficacious and generally well tolerated in Kenyan patients with VL...