- Minimising pain in farm animals: the 3S approach - 'Suppress, Substitute, Soothe'
INRA, UMR 1300, Bio agression, Epidémiologie et Analyse de Risque, F 44307 Nantes, France
Animal 6:1261-74. 2012
..In addition, veterinarians and farmers should be given the necessary tools and information to take into account animal pain in their management decisions...
- Shedding and serological patterns of dairy cows following abortions associated with Coxiella burnetii DNA detection
ONIRIS, Nantes, F 44307, France
Vet Microbiol 155:430-3. 2012
..Lastly, serological results indicating a lack of sensitivity to detect Cb shedder cows (especially for cows for which Ct values were high) suggest that ELISA is not a useful tool to diagnose abortions at the individual level...
- Prevalence of Coxiella burnetii infection in domestic ruminants: a critical review
INRA, UMR 1300 Bio Agression, Epidémiologie et Analyse de Risque, Nantes F 44307, France
Vet Microbiol 149:1-16. 2011
..The present conclusions and the current situation support the persistent need of conducting well designed studies, aiming at estimating the true prevalence of C. burnetii infection in the three main domestic ruminant species...
- Coxiella burnetii shedding by dairy cows
Unit of Animal Health Management, UMR 708, Veterinary School, INRA, BP 40706, 44307, Nantes Cedex 03, France
Vet Res 38:849-60. 2007
..These latter cows were mostly, persistently highly-seropositive, suggesting that repeated serological testings could be a reliable tool to screen heavy shedders, before using PCR assays...
- Prevention of Coxiella burnetii shedding in infected dairy herds using a phase I C. burnetii inactivated vaccine
Ecole Nationale Veterinaire de Nantes, UMR 1300 Bio Agression, Epidémiologie et Analyse de Risque, F 44307 Nantes, France
Vaccine 26:4320-8. 2008
..e. at least the heifers. The vaccination of the dairy cows should be performed when the within-herd seroprevalence is low, i.e. in herds where the infection has not spread widely yet...
- Effectiveness of vaccination and antibiotics to control Coxiella burnetii shedding around calving in dairy cows
Anne Frieda Taurel
ONIRIS, Nantes F 44307, France
Vet Microbiol 159:432-7. 2012
..To the best of our knowledge, this is the first study providing useful information for evidenced-based and rational use of medical strategy combining antibiotic and vaccination in infected dairy cattle herds...
- Seroprevalence of Q fever in naturally infected dairy cattle herds
Anne Frieda Taurel
ONIRIS, UMR 1300 Bio Agression, Epidémiologie et Analyse de Risque, Nantes F 44307, France
Prev Vet Med 101:51-7. 2011
..burnetii within an infected herd, as vaccination is effective in susceptible animals and given that nulliparous females are mostly not infected even in infected herds...
- Vaccination using phase I vaccine is effective to control Coxiella burnetii shedding in infected dairy cattle herds
Anne Frieda Taurel
INRA, UMR1300 Biologie, Epidémiologie et Analyse de Risque en santé animale, BP 40706, F 44307 Nantes, France LUNAM Université, ONIRIS, Ecole Nationale Veterinaire, Agroalimentaire et de l alimentation Nantes Atlantique, UMR BioEpAR, F 44307 Nantes, France Union Bretonne des Groupements de Défense Sanitaire, F 56000 Vannes, France Electronic address
Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis 37:1-9. 2014
..Our findings support the interest of a whole vaccination strategy and provide evidence for decreasing the use of antibiotics in dairy cattle herds. ..
- Evaluation of Two PCR Tests for Coxiella burnetii Detection in Dairy Cattle Farms Using Latent Class Analysis
INRA, UMR1300 Biology, Epidemiology and Risk Analysis in Animal Health, CS 40706, F 44307, Nantes, France
PLoS ONE 10:e0144608. 2015
..75 versus 0.83) and a specificity of 0.72. The moderately low value for the specificity of PCR DUST suggests that the presence of bacteria on farm is not always associated with persistent infections and shedding of bacteria in milk. ..
- Does milk yield reflect the level of welfare in dairy herds?
INRA, UMR 1300, Biology, Epidemiology and Risk Analysis in Animal Health, CS 40706, F 44307 Nantes, France LUNAM Université, ONIRIS, Nantes Atlantic College of Veterinary Medicine, Food Sciences and Engineering, UMR BioEpAR, F 44307 Nantes, France Electronic address
Vet J 199:184-7. 2014
..These opposite associations resulted in no association with the overall welfare of the herd. Milk yield should not therefore be used as an indicator of overall welfare. ..