- A critical appraisal of lithium's efficacy and effectiveness: the last 60 years
Mood Disorders Center of Ottawa, Ottawa
Bipolar Disord 11:10-9. 2009
..More recently, lithium has also proven to dramatically reduce suicidal behavior and mortality and to augment markedly the efficacy of antidepressants in unresponsive patients...
- Commentary on a recent review of lithium toxicity: what are its implications for clinical practice?
Drug Commission of the German Medical Association, Berlin, Germany
BMC Med 10:132. 2012
..We feel that some specific limitations of the study were related to the inclusion of patients regardless of adequacy of treatment, quality of monitoring, drug combinations, age and sex, and stabilization response...
- Maintenance treatment of adolescent bipolar disorder: open study of the effectiveness and tolerability of quetiapine
Department of Psychiatry, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
BMC Psychiatry 9:4. 2009
..The purpose of the study was to determine the effectiveness and tolerability of quetiapine as a maintenance treatment preventing against relapse or recurrence of acute mood episodes in adolescent patients diagnosed with bipolar disorder...
- Lithium response across generations
Mood Disorders Center of Ottawa, Ottawa, ON, Canada
Acta Psychiatr Scand 120:378-85. 2009
..To describe and integrate observations from bipolar patients responsive to lithium stabilization and their children...
- Salivary cortisol secretion in remitted bipolar patients and offspring of bipolar parents
Department of Psychiatry, University of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Bipolar Disord 8:345-9. 2006
..The purpose of this study is to replicate findings of increased cortisol secretion during clinical remission in bipolar patients and in the offspring of bipolar parents, rigorously controlling for known confounders...
- "Mood-stabilizers: the archeology of the concept"--by M Harris, S Chandran, N Chakraborty and D Healy: a commentary
University of Ottawa, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Bipolar Disord 5:453-5. 2003
- MMPI as a measure of subthreshold and residual psychopathology among the offspring of lithium responsive and non-responsive bipolar parents
Bipolar Disorders Research Unit, Royal Ottawa Hospital, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Bipolar Disord 6:323-8. 2004
..The present study compares MMPI profiles completed by the well or remitted offspring of two groups of bipolar parents divided on the basis of parental response to long-term lithium...
- Repeated salivary daytime cortisol and onset of mood episodes in offspring of bipolar parents
Sarah M Goodday
Department of Epidemiology, Dalla Lana School of Public Health, University of Toronto, 155 College St, Toronto, ON, M5T 3M7, Canada
Int J Bipolar Disord 4:12. 2016
- Do the Trajectories of Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia Follow a Universal Staging Model?
Department of Psychiatry, University of Calgary, Calgary, Alberta, Canada Mood Disorders Centre of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Can J Psychiatry . 2016
..The purpose of this study is to address the question of whether a universal staging model of severe psychiatric disorders is a viable direction for future research by examining the extant literature...
- Childhood anxiety: an early predictor of mood disorders in offspring of bipolar parents
Hotchkiss Brain Institute and Department of Psychiatry, University of Calgary, Calgary, AB, Canada T2N 4Z6
J Affect Disord 150:363-9. 2013
..Anxiety disorders are common among the offspring of parents with bipolar disorder (BD). This study investigated the nature of the association between anxiety disorders and mood disorders in a prospectively studied high-risk cohort...
- Sixty years of lithium responders
Mood Disorders Center of Ottawa, Ottawa, Ont, Canada paul_grof mdco ca
Neuropsychobiology 62:8-16. 2010
..The next stage then unfolds in adolescence, first with depressive and later with activated episodes. The observations have a potential to markedly enrich the prevailing understanding and management of mood disorders...