Affiliation: University of Athens
- Central nervous system manifestations of Mycoplasma pneumoniae infectionsS Tsiodras
4th Academic Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, 1 Rimini Street, Xaidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
J Infect 51:343-54. 2005..pneumoniae infection and several CNS manifestations. The role of various anti-microbial or immunomodulating therapies in treating such manifestations should be further explored...
- Human infections associated with wild birdsSotirios Tsiodras
University of Athens Medical School, 1 Rimini Street, Xaidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
J Infect 56:83-98. 2008..The objective of the current paper is to summarize available literature on pathogens causing human disease that have been associated with wild bird species...
- Antivirals used for influenza chemoprophylaxisS Tsiodras
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Attikon Hospital, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
Curr Med Chem 19:5947-56. 2012..Further investigation of novel medications with new mechanisms of action is important in this regard. Meanwhile, implementing strategies to conserve our current antivirals is necessary...
- Rabies in Greece; historical perspectives in view of the current re-emergence in wild and domestic animalsSotirios Tsiodras
Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece Electronic address
Travel Med Infect Dis 12:628-35. 2014..These efforts serve as a guide to current extensive efforts to prevent spread especially in the wild and domestic animal populations. ..
- How to approach and treat viral infections in ICU patientsTheodoros Kelesidis
4th Department of Internal Medicine, Attikon University Hospital, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Medicine, 1 Rimini Street, GR 12462 Haidari, Athens, Greece
BMC Infect Dis 14:321. 2014..These novel treatments need to be further validated in animal and human randomized controlled studies. ..
- Novel association patterns of cardiac remodeling markers in patients with essential hypertension and atrial fibrillationAndreas S Kalogeropoulos
Department of Cardiology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College Healthcare NHS Trust, London, UK
BMC Cardiovasc Disord 11:77. 2011..We investigated differences in serum levels of these markers between patients with atrial fibrillation (AF) and sinus rhythm (SR)...
- An unusual cutaneous tumor: African histoplasmosis following mudbaths: case report and reviewSotirios Tsiodras
4th Department of Internal Medicine, Attikon University Hospital, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens School of Medicine, Athens, Greece
Am J Trop Med Hyg 86:261-3. 2012..African histoplasmosis should be included in the differential diagnosis of non-healing wounds or tumor-like lesions, especially in the context of mudbaths in an endemic area...
- Extraparenchymal neurocysticercosis in the United States: a case reportTheodoros Kelesidis
Department of Medicine, Division of Infectious Diseases, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, Los Angeles, California, USA
J Med Case Rep 5:359. 2011..Neurocysticercosis is endemic in the developing world, but is becoming more common in the United States due to immigration...
- Eosinophilic pneumonia associated with daptomycin: a case report and a review of the literatureAndreas S Kalogeropoulos
5th Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Evangelismos General Hospital, 45 47 Ipsilantou Street, 106 76 Kolonaki, Athens, Greece
J Med Case Rep 5:13. 2011....
- Ampicillin/sulbactam versus cefuroxime as antimicrobial prophylaxis for cesarean delivery: a randomized studyEleftherios Ziogos
Department of Obtsterics and Gynecology, University General Hospital of Heraclion, Heracleion, Greece
BMC Infect Dis 10:341. 2010..The efficacy and safety of a single dose of ampicillin/sulbactam compared to a single dose of cefuroxime at cord clamp for prevention of post-cesarean infectious morbidity has not been assessed...
- Hybrid capture vs. PCR screening of cervical human papilloma virus infections. Cytological and histological associations in 1270 womenSotirios Tsiodras
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Med, Sch, Athens, Greece
BMC Cancer 10:53. 2010..We evaluated two molecular methods of HPV detection and their correlation with cytological and histological diagnosis in a large sample of Greek women...
- Role of combination antiviral therapy in pandemic influenza and stockpiling implicationsSotirios Tsiodras
Fourth Academic Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens Medical School, Athens 12462, Greece
BMJ 334:293-4. 2007
- Mycoplasma pneumoniae-associated myelitis: a comprehensive reviewS Tsiodras
Fourth Academic Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Eur J Neurol 13:112-24. 2006..pneumoniae in ATM/ADEM syndromes in the near future. Immunomodulating therapies may have a role in treating such cases...
- Cluster of new influenza A(H1N1) cases in travellers returning from Scotland to Greece - community transmission within the European Union?T Panagiotopoulos
Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention KEELPNO, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 14:. 2009..The two cases had no apparent traceable links to an infectious source. Herein we report details of the two cases and potential public health implications...
- A case of imported Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus infection and public health response, Greece, April 2014S Tsiodras
Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 19:20782. 2014..During 14 days prior to onset of illness, he had extensive contact with the healthcare environment in Jeddah. Contact tracing revealed 73 contacts, no secondary cases had occurred by 22 April...
- Risk-factors and predictors of mortality in patients colonised with vancomycin-resistant enterococciV Sakka
4th Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens Medical School, Uniersity General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 14:14-21. 2008..Promptly implemented infection control strategies targeting these groups should help to combat the rising incidence of VRE...
- Enhanced surveillance of influenza A(H1N1)v in Greece during the containment phaseT Lytras
Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 14:. 2009..On 15 July, Greece moved to mitigation phase. This report summarises surveillance findings in Greece during the delaying (or containment) phase, from 30 April to 14 July 2009...
- Antiviral drugs in the prophylaxis of HBV infectionA Masgala
First Department of Internal Medicine, Agia Olga General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Curr Med Chem 19:5940-6. 2012..Monotherapy or combination of antiviral drugs, as well as the optimal duration of HBV prophylaxis, is to be determined...
- Efficacy and safety of an anti-retroviral combination regimen including either efavirenz or lopinavir-ritonavir with a backbone of two nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitorsP Panagopoulos
4th University Department of Internal Medicine, Attikon University General Hospital, 24 Omirou Street, Melissia, 15127 Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 12:486-9. 2006..3 log(10), interquartile range (IQR) 2.2-3.8 log(10) vs. 2.4 log(10), IQR 0.9-3.3 log(10), respectively, p 0.004). Use of lopinavir-ritonavir, in contrast to use of efavirenz, was associated with significant hypertriglyceridaemia...
- Fluoroquinolone treatment of chronic bacterial prostatitis: a prospective cohort studyP Panagopoulos
4th Department of Internal Medicine, University General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
J Chemother 21:317-21. 2009..1%) were the most frequently implicated pathogens and ciprofloxacin the most commonly prescribed antimicrobial. A 12-month follow-up was completed in 87% of the pts and 35.3% relapsed a mean of 4.75 months after the initial treatment...
- Coxsackievirus B3 sequences in the myocardium of fatal cases in a cluster of acute myocarditis in GreeceN Spanakis
Department of Microbiology, Medical School, University of Athens, 115 27 Athens, Greece
J Clin Pathol 58:357-60. 2005..The investigation of three fatal cases during a nationwide cluster of cases of an upper respiratory tract infection (URTI) associated with myocarditis and/or pericarditis in Greece in 2002...
- Antiretrovirals for HIV Exposure ProphylaxisG Nikolopoulos
Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, 3 5 Agrafon Str, 15123 Maroussi, Athens, Greece
Curr Med Chem 19:5924-39. 2012....
- Nebulized antibiotics in mechanically ventilated patients: roadmap and challengesG Poulakou
a 4th Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases Unit, Athens National and Kapodistrian University, Medical School, ATTIKON University General Hospital of Athens, 1 Rimini St, Athens 12462, Greece
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther . 2016..Clarification of indications, standardization of technique and implementation of clinical practice guidelines, based on new large-scale trials will lead to the optimal use of nebulized antibiotics...
- Antiviral susceptibility profile of influenza A viruses; keep an eye on immunocompromised patients under prolonged treatmentA Kossyvakis
National Influenza Reference Laboratory of Southern Greece, Hellenic Pasteur Institute, 127, Vas Sofias Ave, 11521, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis . 2016..Sequential sample testing in this vulnerable group of patients is recommended to characterise resistance or reinfection and viral evolution...
- Re-emergence of animal rabies in northern Greece and subsequent human exposure, October 2012 - March 2013S Tsiodras
Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention KEELPNO, Ministry of Health, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 18:20474. 2013..Human exposures occurred within 50 km radius of a confirmed rabies case in a wild or domestic animal, and most frequently stray dogs were involved...
- A pseudo-outbreak of human A/H5N1 infections in Greece and its public health implicationsG Spala
Department of Epidemiological Surveillance and Intervention, Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 11:263-7. 2006..Both the timing of identification and the geographical location of potential cases suggest an increased awareness on the part of the general public, as well as poor interpretation of the case definition by the clinicians...
- Nosocomial vs. community-acquired infective endocarditis in Greece: changing epidemiological profile and mortality riskE Giannitsioti
4th Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 13:763-9. 2007..5% vs. 18.6%, p 0.02). Cardiac failure (New York Heart Association grade III-IV; OR 13.3, 95% CI 4.9-36.1, p <0.001) and prosthetic valve endocarditis (OR 3.7, 95% CI 1.3-10.6, p 0.01) were the most important predictors of mortality...
- Autochthonous Plasmodium vivax malaria in Greece, 2011K Danis
Hellenic Centre for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece
Euro Surveill 16:. 2011....
- Viral epidemiology of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseG Dimopoulos
2 nd Department of Critical Care, University Hospital Attikon, Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 25:12-8. 2012..The stage of COPD appeared to have no relation with the frequency of the isolated viruses while dual infection with a viral and a bacterial pathogen was not rare...
- Molecular epidemiology of HPV infection using a clinical array methodology in 2952 women in GreeceS Tsiodras
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:1185-8. 2011..001). Follow-up of this cohort will assist in predicting the effect of vaccination with the new HPV vaccines on future screening with HPV-based tests for cervical cancer...
- Optimizing approaches to head-and-neck cancers. Viruses in head-and-neck cancers: prevention and therapyA Psyrri
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Ann Oncol 19:vii189-94. 2008
- Algorithm for statistical detection of peaks--syndromic surveillance system for the Athens 2004 Olympic GamesUrania G Dafni
Division of Public Health, Department of Nursing, University of Athens, 123 Papadiamantopoulou St, Athens 11527, Greece
MMWR Suppl 53:86-94. 2004..No generally accepted procedure exists for detecting outbreaks in syndromic time series used in the surveillance of natural epidemics or biologic attacks...
- Hypertension and paroxysmal atrial fibrillation: a novel predictive role of high sensitivity C-reactive protein in cardioversion and long-term recurrenceI Rizos
Second Department of Cardiology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Hum Hypertens 24:447-57. 2010..27 mg l(-1) (hazard ratio: 6.2, 95% CI: 2.2-17.6, P=0.001). hsCRP at 48 h after admission correlates with cardioversion outcome and may predict long-term AF recurrence...
- Nationwide surveillance of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Greece: patterns of resistance and serotype epidemiologyG Poulakou
Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University School of Medicine, University General Hospital Attikon, 1 Rimini Street, 124 62 Athens, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 30:87-92. 2007..pneumoniae isolates and displayed an increasingly resistant profile compared with previous reports from our country, warranting continuous vigilance...
- Emerging zoonoses and vector-borne infections affecting humans in EuropeR M Vorou
Hellenic Center for Disease Control and Prevention, Athens, Greece
Epidemiol Infect 135:1231-47. 2007..Uniform harmonized case definitions should be introduced throughout Europe as true prevalence and incidence estimates are otherwise impossible...
- Calcium sulphate delivery system with tobramycin for the treatment of chronic calcaneal osteomyelitisP J Papagelopoulos
First Department of Orthopaedics, Athens University Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Int Med Res 34:704-12. 2006..This case demonstrates that two-stage surgical treatment with extensive debridement and tobramycin-impregnated calcium sulphate was effective in treating chronic calcaneal osteomyelitis...
- Deep sinus aspergillosis in a liver transplant recipient successfully treated with a combination of caspofungin and voriconazoleS Tsiodras
Academic Department of Medicine, Hippokration General Hospital, 114 Vas Sofias Avenue, Athens, Greece
Transpl Infect Dis 6:37-40. 2004..At follow-up, 15 months after the onset of sinusitis, the patient remains culture-negative, fully active, and without evidence of local recurrence...
- The HIV-1/HAART associated metabolic syndrome - novel adipokines, molecular associations and therapeutic implicationsS Tsiodras
University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Infect 61:101-13. 2010..A potential role of other novel cytokines like visfatin, retinol-binding protein-4, apelin, acylation stimulating protein, omentin and vaspin needs to be further elucidated...
- Primary aortoduodenal fistula without abdominal aortic aneurysm in association with psoas abscessChris Klonaris
Vascular Division, 1st Surgical Department, Laikon Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Ann Vasc Surg 20:541-3. 2006..At 2-year follow-up, the patient is alive without episodes of bleeding or fever...
- Vogt-Koyanagi-Harada disease associated with interferon-A and ribavirin therapy for chronic hepatitis C infectionKonstantinos Papastathopoulos
Medical Retina Unit, First Department of Ophthalmology, Henry Dunant Hospital, 107 Mesogion Avenue, 11526 Athens, Greece
J Infect 52:e59-61. 2006..Physicians should be aware of the association between interferon-alpha and ribavirin use for hepatitis C infection and the development of Harada's disease. Close monitoring of such patients for ocular side effects is necessary...