D G Tiniakos
Affiliation: University of Athens
- Tityus: a forgotten myth of liver regenerationDina G Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Hepatol 53:357-61. 2010..We also explore artistic and literary links and summarize recent scientific data on the mechanisms of liver regeneration. Finally, we highlight links of the legend of Tityus with other sciences...
- Ontogeny of human intrahepatic innervationDina G Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 75, M Asias str, Goudi, Athens 11527, Greece
Virchows Arch 452:435-42. 2008..Developmentally regulated expression of galanin and somatostatin may play a role in liver morphogenesis...
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease/nonalcoholic steatohepatitis: histological diagnostic criteria and scoring systemsDina G Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 22:643-50. 2010..This review examines the currently used criteria for the histopathological diagnosis of NAFLD/NASH in adults and children and the relevant histological scoring systems...
- Expression of c-jun oncogene in hyperplastic and carcinomatous human prostateDina G Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Urology 67:204-8. 2006..To investigate c-jun oncoprotein (JUN) expression in diseases of the human prostate gland at the tissue level and to determine its relationship to clinicopathologic variables...
- Liver biopsy in alcoholic and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis patientsD G Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, University of Athens, 75, M Asias Street, Goudi, 11527 Athens, Greece
Gastroenterol Clin Biol 33:930-9. 2009..In both alcoholic steatohepatitis and NASH, sinusoidal collagen formation is the result of hepatic stellate cell activation that, in NASH, has been correlated with the grade of steatosis and fibrosis...
- Ontogeny of intrinsic innervation in the human kidneyDina Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, University of Athens, 75 M Asias, Goudi, Athens 11527, Greece
Anat Embryol (Berl) 209:41-7. 2004..Most intrarenal nerves are adrenergic and have a predominant perivascular distribution, implying that renal innervation plays an important functional role during intrauterine life...
- Nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: pathology and pathogenesisDina G Tiniakos
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens 11527, Greece
Annu Rev Pathol 5:145-71. 2010..Cellular stress and immune reactions, as well as the endocannabinoid system, have been implicated in animal models and in some human studies...
- Serum apoptotic caspase activity as a marker of severity in HBeAg-negative chronic hepatitis B virus infectionG V Papatheodoridis
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University Medical School, Hippokration General Hospital of Athens, 114 Vas Sophias Ave, 115 27 Athens, Greece
Gut 57:500-6. 2008..Patients/..
- The expression of matrix metalloproteinases-2 and -9 and their tissue inhibitor 2 in pancreatic ductal and ampullary carcinoma and their relation to angiogenesis and clinicopathological parametersGeorge Giannopoulos
4th Surgical Department, Attikon Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Anticancer Res 28:1875-81. 2008....
- Morphometric microvascular characteristics in the prognosis of pancreatic and ampullary carcinomaGeorge Giannopoulos
Fourth Surgical Department, Attikon Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Pancreas 35:47-52. 2007....
- Metabolic syndrome is associated with severe fibrosis in chronic viral hepatitis and non-alcoholic steatohepatitisE Tsochatzis
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University Medical School, Hippokration General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Aliment Pharmacol Ther 27:80-9. 2008..The prevalence of metabolic syndrome and its possible impact on the severity of liver histological lesions have not been studied prospectively in chronic liver diseases...
- Liver histology in ICU patients dying from sepsis: a clinico-pathological studyJohn Koskinas
2nd Department of Internal Medicine, Athens Medical School, and Intensive Care Unit, Hippocration General Hospital, 114 Vas Sofias Ave, Athens 11527, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 14:1389-93. 2008..To determine end-stage pathologic changes in the liver of septic patients dying in the intensive care unit...
- Serum adipokine levels in chronic liver diseases: association of resistin levels with fibrosis severityEmmanuel Tsochatzis
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Athens University Medical School, Hippokration General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Scand J Gastroenterol 43:1128-36. 2008..The objective of this study was to investigate serum levels of the above three adipokines in relation to the etiology of liver disease and to determine their associations with histological severity...
- Modulation of hepatic microsomal triglyceride transfer protein (MTP) induced by S-nitroso-N-acetylcysteine in ob/ob miceClaudia P M S Oliveira
Department of Gastroenterology, University of Sao Paulo School of Medicine, Brazil
Biochem Pharmacol 74:290-7. 2007..Further studies are in progress to examine possible mechanisms and to develop SNAC as a possible therapy for human fatty liver disease...
- Evaluation of topoisomerase IIa expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a pilot study using chromogenic in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry on tissue microarraysEvangelos Tsiambas
Department of Pathology, Tissue Microarrays and Computerized Image Analysis Laboratories, 417 VA Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pancreatology 7:45-52. 2007..To co-evaluate topoisomerase IIa (Topo IIa) protein expression and gene status in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma, determining the potential prognostic impact of its alterations...
- Ontogeny of intrinsic innervation in the human thymus and spleenValsamo K Anagnostou
Laboratory of Histology and Embryology, Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, 75 M Asias str, 11527 Athens, Greece
J Histochem Cytochem 55:813-20. 2007..The predominant perivascular distribution of most parenchymal nerves implies that thymic and splenic innervation may play an important functional role during intrauterine life...
- Pathological features of NASHElizabeth M Brunt
Department of Pathology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, St Louis, MO, USA
Front Biosci 10:1475-84. 2005..While largely focused on adult NAFLD, the manuscript also summarizes what has been reported to date for NAFLD in the pediatric population...
- Metabolic storage diseases: amyloidosisElizabeth M Brunt
Department of Pathology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 4 th Floor, SLUH, 3635 Vista Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Clin Liver Dis 8:915-30, x. 2004..Clinical characteristics and clues to the diagnosis are discussed as well as the importance of histologic confirmation and the controversy surrounding liver biopsy...
- Pathology of steatohepatitisElizabeth M Brunt
Department of Pathology, Saint Louis University School of Medicine, 4th Floor, 3635 Vista Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Best Pract Res Clin Gastroenterol 16:691-707. 2002..This chapter will elucidate the constellation of microscopic findings, the issues of concern for pathological evaluation and the knowledge to date of their significance in various forms of fatty liver disease...