Genomes and Genes
Affiliation: University of Athens
- Performance evaluation of manual and automated (MagNA pure) nucleic acid isolation in HPV detection and genotyping using Roche Linear Array HPV TestAikaterini Chranioti
Department of Diagnostic Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2011:931281. 2011..935 versus 0.877 of MagNA), with AmpliLute showing a slightly predominance over MagNA. However, higher sensitivities, specificities, and positive/negative predictive values were obtained by AmpliLute...
- Identification of women for referral to colposcopy by neural networks: a preliminary study based on LBC and molecular biomarkersPetros Karakitsos
Department of Cytopathology, Medical School ATTIKON University Hospital, University of Athens, 12462 Athens, Greece
J Biomed Biotechnol 2012:303192. 2012..03%. The use of the LVQ-NN with cytology and the proposed biomarkers improves significantly the correct classification of cervical precancerous lesions and/or cancer and may facilitate diagnosis and patient management...
- Oral squamous cell cancer: early detection and the role of alcohol and smokingAnna G Zygogianni
Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Head Neck Oncol 3:2. 2011..Oral squamous cell carcinoma has a remarkable incidence worldwide and a fairly onerous prognosis, encouraging further research on factors that might modify disease outcome...
- A preliminary study of the potential of tree classifiers in triage of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesionsPetros Karakitsos
Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon University Hospital
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:132-40. 2011..To investigate the potential value of tree classifiers for the triage of high-grade squamous intraepithelial lesions...
- Systematic analysis of proteins from different signaling pathways in the tumor center and the invasive front of colorectal cancerEva Karamitopoulou
Second Department of Pathology, University of Athens, 12464 Athens, Greece
Hum Pathol 42:1888-96. 2011....
- Study on the reproducibility of thyroid lesions telecytology diagnoses based upon digitized imagesJohn Georgoulakis
Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens, Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Diagn Cytopathol 39:495-9. 2011....
- Comparison of two commercially available methods for HPV genotyping: CLART HPV2 and Linear Array HPV Genotyping testsAikaterini Chranioti
Department of Cytopathology, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, University General Hospital Attikon, Rimini, Chaidari, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytopathol Histpathol 34:257-63. 2012..The CLART HPV2 test, a novel HPV test based on DNA microarrays that can identify 35 HPV genotypes, was compared to the Linear Array HPV Genotyping (LA) test, a more widely used test able to identify 37 HPV genotypes...
- Assessment of static telecytological diagnoses' reproducibility in cervical smears prepared by means of liquid-based cytologyThomas Tsilalis
Department of Cytopathology, 401 General Army Hospital, Athens, Greece
Telemed J E Health 18:516-20. 2012..This study evaluated the accuracy and reproducibility of telecytological diagnoses proffered on the basis of digitized images from cervical smears prepared by means of liquid-based cytology...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor and endoglin (CD-105) in gastric cancerNikolaos I Nikiteas
Second Propaideutic Surgical Department, Laikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Gastric Cancer 10:12-7. 2007....
- Cascaded learning vector quantizer neural networks for the discrimination of thyroid lesionsAlexandra Varlatzidou
Department of Surgery, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:323-34. 2011..To investigate capability of combination of learning vector quantizer (LVQ) neural networks (NNs) in discrimination of benign from malignant thyroid lesions...
- mRNA and DNA detection of human papillomaviruses in women of all ages attending two colposcopy clinicsAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Chaidari, Greece
PLoS ONE 7:e49205. 2012..The aim of this study was to examine the efficacy of HPV DNA and mRNA testing in a population attending colposcopy units of two University hospitals...
- P53Arg72 homozygosity and its increased incidence in left-sided sporadic colorectal adenocarcinomas, in a Greek-Caucasian populationAnastasios Dakouras
Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Greece
Anticancer Res 28:1039-43. 2008..The distribution of its alleles, in relation to many clinical parameters of the cancer group, was also investigated...
- Differential effects of stent-graft fabrics on arterial stiffness in patients undergoing endovascular aneurysm repairNikolaos P E Kadoglou
1 Department of Vascular Surgery, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Endovasc Ther 21:850-8. 2014..To evaluate the differential effects of endograft fabric types on pulse wave velocity (PWV), a valid, clinically feasible marker of arterial stiffness, in patients undergoing endovascular repair (EVAR) of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAAs)...
- Cell cycle analysis of colorectal brushings collected in liquid-based cytologyAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:29-35. 2011..To evaluate the possibility of robust cell cycle analysis from liquid-based cytology samples...
- The Application of Classification and Regression Trees for the Triage of Women for Referral to Colposcopy and the Estimation of Risk for Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia: A Study Based on 1625 Cases with Incomplete Data from Molecular TestsAbraham Pouliakis
Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Rimini 1, Haidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
Biomed Res Int 2015:914740. 2015....
- Systematic assessment of protein phenotypes characterizing high-grade tumour budding in mismatch repair-proficient colorectal cancerEva Karamitopoulou
Second Department of Pathology, University of Athens, Attikon University Hospital, Rimini 1, Haidari, Athens, Greece
Histopathology 57:233-43. 2010..The aim of this study was to identify potential multi-marker phenotypes characterizing low- and high-grade budding in mismatch repair (MMR)-proficient colorectal cancer...
- Clinical performance of human papillomavirus E6, E7 mRNA flow cytometric assay compared to human papillomavirus DNA typingChristine Kottaridi
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens University Medical School, 1 Rimini Street, 12462 Chaidari, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 33:305-10. 2011..To use flow cytometry to screen cervical samples for the overexpression of human papillomavirus (HPV) E6 and E7 mRNA and compare the performance of this assay with an HPV DNA array for the detection of high-grade cervical lesions...
- Promoter methylation of p16(INK4A), hMLH1, and MGMT in liquid-based cervical cytology samples compared with clinicopathological findings and HPV presenceAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, Rimini 1, Chaidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
Infect Dis Obstet Gynecol 2011:927861. 2011..Overall accuracy of methylation is much lower than traditional diagnostic tests ranking it as an ancillary technique with more data needed to identify the exact value of methylation status in cervical carcinogenesis...
- Use of flow cytometry as a quality control device for liquid-based cervical cytology specimensChristine Kottaridi
Department of Diagnostic Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, Chaidari, Athens, Greece
Cytometry B Clin Cytom 78:37-40. 2010..The objective of the study is the evaluation of flow cytometry as a rapid tool for quality control of the liquid specimen adequacy for the purpose of precise cytological diagnosis in detecting cervical abnormalities...
- The impact of endograft type on inflammatory response after endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysmKonstantinos G Moulakakis
Department of Vascular Surgery, University of Athens, Attikon Hospital, Athens, Greece
J Vasc Surg 57:668-77. 2013..To evaluate the impact of endograft type on the inflammatory response after elective endovascular repair of abdominal aortic aneurysms...
- The diagnostic accuracy of two methods for E6&7 mRNA detection in women with minor cytological abnormalitiesGeorge Koliopoulos
3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 91:794-801. 2012..To examine the diagnostic accuracy of nucleic acid sequence based amplification (NASBA) and flow cytometry for E6&7 human papillomavirus (HPV) mRNA detection in the triage of minor cytological abnormalities...
- A Pyrosequencing Assay for the Quantitative Methylation Analysis of GALR1 in Endometrial Samples: Preliminary ResultsChristine Kottaridi
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Medical School, 1 Rimini, Haidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
Biomed Res Int 2015:756359. 2015..This marker has the potential to lead towards better management of women with endometrial lesions and eventually reduce unnecessary interventions. In addition it can provide early warning for women with negative cytological result. ..
- Inflammatory response and renal function following endovascular repair of the descending thoracic aortaKonstantinos G Moulakakis
Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
J Endovasc Ther 22:201-6. 2015..To evaluate inflammatory response and renal function after thoracic endovascular aortic repair (TEVAR) of lesions in the descending thoracic aorta...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor polymorphisms in gastric cancer development, prognosis, and survivalNikolaos Tzanakis
4th Surgical Department, Attikon Hospital, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Surg Oncol 94:624-30. 2006..Angiogenesis plays an important role in growth, progression, and metastasis of tumors. Vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) overexpression has been associated with advanced stage and poor survival in several cancers...
- An intelligent clinical decision support system for patient-specific predictions to improve cervical intraepithelial neoplasia detectionPanagiotis Bountris
Biomedical Engineering Laboratory, School of Electrical and Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, Iroon Politechniou 9, 15773 Zografou Campus, Athens, Greece
Biomed Res Int 2014:341483. 2014..The proposed system may reduce the referral rate for colposcopy and guide personalised management and therapeutic interventions...
- The diagnostic accuracy of E6 & 7 mRNA detection as a primary screening test for the detection of severe cervical lesionsVasiliki Stathopoulou
3rd Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Chaidari, Athens, Greece
J BUON 19:490-6. 2014....
- Serum Levels of Surfactant Proteins in Patients with Combined Pulmonary Fibrosis and Emphysema (CPFE)Andriana I Papaioannou
2nd Respiratory Medicine Department, Attikon University Hospital, Athens Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
PLoS ONE 11:e0157789. 2016..Serum surfactant proteins (SPs) A, B, C and D levels may reflect lung damage. We evaluated serum SP levels in healthy controls, emphysema, IPF, and CPFE patients and their associations to disease severity and survival...
- A reporting system for endometrial cytology: Cytomorphologic criteria-Implied risk of malignancyNiki Margari
Department of Cytopathology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, 12462, Greece
Diagn Cytopathol 44:888-901. 2016..These systems have low reproducibility, especially in cases of atypical hyperplasia and well differentiated carcinomas. Moreover, they are not linked to the implied risk of malignancy...
- Hybrid capture vs. PCR screening of cervical human papilloma virus infections. Cytological and histological associations in 1270 womenSotirios Tsiodras
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens Med, Sch, Athens, Greece
BMC Cancer 10:53. 2010..We evaluated two molecular methods of HPV detection and their correlation with cytological and histological diagnosis in a large sample of Greek women...
- Arterial stiffness and novel biomarkers in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysmsNikolaos P E Kadoglou
2nd Department of Cardiology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Regul Pept 179:50-4. 2012..We investigated the association of PWV with the aforementioned novel biomarkers in patients with abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)...
- Using classification and regression trees, liquid-based cytology and nuclear morphometry for the discrimination of endometrial lesionsAbraham Pouliakis
Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Diagn Cytopathol 42:582-91. 2014..The proposed method can be a useful tool for the everyday practice of the cytological laboratory...
- Cytopathologic diagnosis of fine needle aspiration biopsies of thyroid nodulesEvangelos P Misiakos
Evangelos P Misiakos, Dimitrios Schizas, Konstantinos Petropoulos, Anastasios Machairas, 3 Department of Surgery, Attikon University Hospital, University of Athens School of Medicine, Attica, 12462 Athens, Greece
World J Clin Cases 4:38-48. 2016..In conclusion, patients who require repeated FNAs for indeterminate diagnoses will be resolved by repeat FNA in a percentage of 72%-80%. ..
- Artificial Neural Networks as Decision Support Tools in Cytopathology: Past, Present, and FutureAbraham Pouliakis
Department of Cytopathology, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Biomed Eng Comput Biol 7:1-18. 2016..More specifically, it aims to highlight the importance of employing ANNs in existing and future applications and in identifying unexplored or poorly explored research topics...
- Microvessel Landscape Assessment in Pancreatic Ductal Adenocarcinoma: Unclear Value of Targeting Endoglin (CD105) as Prognostic Factor of Clinical OutcomeDimitrios Lytras
From the 1st Department of Surgery, 2nd Department of Pathology, and Department of Pathology, General Hospital Konstantopouleio Agia Olga Hospital and Department of Cytopathology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pancreas 44:87-92. 2015..The aim of our study was to assess the value of tumoral microvascularity both with pan-endothelial markers and endoglin as well, in correlation with the clinical outcome of patients with PDAC...
- Concurrent pleural infiltration by chronic lymphocytic leukemia and adenocarcinoma of unknown primary site diagnosed by effusion cytologyIoannis Vrettos
Second Department of Internal Medicine, Medical School, Attikon University General Hospital, Athens, Greece
Diagn Cytopathol 42:151-5. 2014..Even in a pleural effusion rich in monoclonal lymphocytes, the presence of a second cancer must be excluded because this can be the main cause of mortality. The role of cytology in such cases is of paramount importance...
- DNA ploidy and immunomarking of bladder urothelial tumors before and after intravesical bacillus Calmette-Guérin treatmentAspasia Kyroudi-Voulgari
Department of Histology and Embryology, University of Athens Medical School, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 27:52-60. 2005..To investigate DNA ploidy and immunoexpression of Ki-67 and p53 as predictivefactors in cases of superficial urothelial cell carcinoma (UCC) treated with bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG)...
- KRAS and BRAF mutation analysis from liquid-based cytology brushings of colorectal carcinoma in comparison with formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded tissueAris Spathis
Department of Cytopathology, University General Hospital Attikon, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Rimini 1, 12462, Chaidari, Greece
Anticancer Res 30:1969-75. 2010....
- The role of liquid-based cytology in the investigation of colorectal lesions: a cytohistopathological correlation and evaluation of diagnostic accuracyKonstantinos Kontzoglou
2nd Propaedeutic Surgical Department of University of Athens, Laiko Hospital, Athens, Greece
Langenbecks Arch Surg 392:189-95. 2007..This study aims to evaluate the role of Thin-Prep(R) liquid-based cytology in the investigation of colorectal lesions...
- Prevalence of human papillomavirus in saliva and cervix of sexually active womenMaria Adamopoulou
Department of Maxillofacial Surgery, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Gynecol Oncol 129:395-400. 2013..However, the relation between oral and cervical HPV infection is not fully understood. This study evaluates the prevalence rate and type-concordance of HPVs in these areas...
- Dasatinib inhibits proliferation and induces apoptosis in the KASUMI-1 cell line bearing the t(8;21)(q22;q22) and the N822K c-kit mutationVassiliki E Mpakou
Second Department of Internal Medicine and Research Institute, Attikon University Hospital, Rimini 1, Haidari, Athens 12462, Greece
Leuk Res 37:175-82. 2013..These data further encourage the integration of dasatinib in the treatment of CBF AML with c-kit mutations in the context of clinical trials, which are eagerly anticipated...
- Increased levels of circulating platelet-derived microparticles in psoriasis: Possible implications for the associated cardiovascular riskEvangelia Papadavid
Evangelia Papadavid, Konstantina Diamanti, Kostas Theodoropoulos, Dimitrios Rigopoulos, 2 Department of Dermatology and Venereology, University of Athens Medical School, Attikon Hospital, 12462 Athens, Greece
World J Cardiol 8:667-675. 2016..To evaluate platelet activation markers in psoriasis patients, compared to controls, and investigate their association with the inflammatory burden of psoriasis...
- Endothelial Protein C Receptor Gene Variants and Risk of ThrombosisGeorgia Anastasiou
Laboratory of Haematology and Blood Transfusion Unit, Attikon Hospital, School of Medicine, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Clin Appl Thromb Hemost 22:199-204. 2016..Our data suggest that either the lack of the protective EPCR 4678C allele or the presence of EPCR 4600G allele may be associated with earlier development of thrombosis. ..
- Endocervical Carcinogenesis and HPV Vaccination: An Occasional Circumstance or a Gap in the Chain?Georgios Marios Makris
Gynecological Oncology Unit, Third Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, General University Hospital ATTIKON, University of Athens, Chaidari, 12462 Athens, Greece
Case Rep Obstet Gynecol 2017:4976741. 2017..In conclusion, this case report highlights the need for diagnostic surveillance regarding HPV-related cervical cancer even after vaccination...
- Evaluation of a multiplex real time reverse transcription PCR assay for the detection and quantitation of the most common human rotavirus genotypesChristine Kottaridi
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens University Medical School, Athens, Greece
J Virol Methods 180:49-53. 2012..7%), G1P (10.9%), G2P (5.4%), G9P (2.2%). This new assay described has an acceptable sensitivity (low limit 6.3×10(2)copies/g of stool)...
- Telecytology: a tool for quality assessment and improvement in the evaluation of thyroid fine-needle aspiration specimensStavros Archondakis
Department of Cytopathology, 401 General Army Hospital, Athens, Greece
Telemed J E Health 15:713-7. 2009..Besides diagnostic accuracy, the implementation of a diagnostic telecytology system requires consideration of numerous financial, legal, professional, and ethical issues...
- The key role of bisphosphonates in the supportive care of cancer patientsMaria Tolia
Rimini 1, Haidari, 124 64, Athens, Greece
Anticancer Res 34:23-37. 2014..The present review aims at providing an assessment of the clinical significance of Biphosphonates (BPs) in the treatment of patients with cancer...
- Predictors and clinical implications of HPV reservoire districts for genital tract diseaseGeorge Koliopoulos
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ioannina University Hospital, Alopekis 34, 10675, Athens, Ioannina, Greece
Curr Pharm Des 19:1395-400. 2013..In this context expanding the indications for HPV vaccination to include women who have been treated for CIN should be considered...
- Using a web-based system for the continuous distance education in cytopathologyNikolaos Stergiou
Cytopathology Department, University General Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece nikos
Int J Med Inform 78:827-38. 2009..Learning methods including skills such as decision making, reasoning and problem solving are critical in the development of such a learning environment...
- Evaluation of topoisomerase IIa expression in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma: a pilot study using chromogenic in situ hybridization and immunohistochemistry on tissue microarraysEvangelos Tsiambas
Department of Pathology, Tissue Microarrays and Computerized Image Analysis Laboratories, 417 VA Hospital, Athens, Greece
Pancreatology 7:45-52. 2007..To co-evaluate topoisomerase IIa (Topo IIa) protein expression and gene status in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma, determining the potential prognostic impact of its alterations...
- Hospital-based surveillance of rotavirus gastroenteritis in the era of limited vaccine uptake through the private sectorGeorgios Trimis
Vaccine Unit, VIANEX Sanofi Pasteur MSD, Athens, Greece
Vaccine 29:7292-5. 2011..No children with rotavirus gastroenteritis (RVGE) had received any vaccine dose. G4P  was the most common genotype (64/90). In conclusion, this study indicates that even low RV vaccination coverage may have significant effect...
- The potential of feature selection by statistical techniques and the use of statistical classifiers in the discrimination of benign from malignant gastric lesionsTatiana Mona Megalopoulou
Department of Histology and Embryology, Medical School of Athens, Athens University, Athens, Greece
Oncol Rep 15:1033-6. 2006..The technique described in this report produces significant results at the nuclear and patient level and promises to be a powerful assistance tool for everyday cytological laboratory routine...
- Surfactant Proteins in Smoking-Related Lung DiseaseAndriana I Papaioannou
2nd Respiratory Medicine Department, Attikon University Hospital, Athens Medical School, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
Curr Top Med Chem 16:1574-81. 2016..Additional information on the possible role of surfactant protein alterations and/or dysfunction in the combination of these two conditions, recently described as combined pulmonary fibrosis and emphysema (CPFE) are also provided. ..
- Relation between common polymorphisms in genes related to inflammatory response and colorectal cancerGeorge Theodoropoulos
1st Propaideutic Surgical Department, Hippocration University Hospital, University of Athens, Greece
World J Gastroenterol 12:5037-43. 2006....
- Detection of herplex simplex virus-1 and -2 in cardiac myxomasIoannis S Pateras
Department of Histology and Embryology, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
J Biomed Biotechnol 2012:823949. 2012..Our findings raise the point of anti-HSV medication postsurgically with a potential benefit in reducing the rate of recurrences...
- Evaluation of the role of the new INNOVANCE PFA P2Y test cartridge in detection of clopidogrel resistanceArgirios Tsantes
Laboratory of Haematology and Blood Bank Unit, Attikon University Hospital, School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Platelets 23:481-9. 2012..However, the modest agreement among platelet function methods makes the performance of platelet function testing crucial with more than one technique in order to reliably identify poor responders to clopidogrel treatment...
- Potential of radial basis function neural networks in discriminating benign from malignant lesions of the lower urinary tractPetros Karakitsos
Department of Cytopathology, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Anal Quant Cytol Histol 27:35-42. 2005..To investigate the potential value of morphometry and neural network tools for discriminating benign from malignant nuclei and lesions of the lower urinary tract...