Affiliation: University of Athens
- Bloodstream infections in ICU with increased resistance: epidemiology and outcomesG Dimopoulos
Critical Care Department, Attikon University Hospital, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Minerva Anestesiol 81:405-18. 2015..Aim of this study was to evaluate the epidemiology and outcomes of hospital-acquired bloodstream infections (HA-BSI) in Greek intensive care units (ICU)...
- Yeast central nervous system infection in a critically ill patient: a case reportFrantzeska Frantzeskaki
2nd Department of Critical Care, University Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
J Med Case Rep 8:253. 2014..Diagnosis of these infections might be complicated, requiring tissue cultures. In addition, therapy of invasive fungal infections might be difficult, given the rising resistance of fungi to antifungal agents...
- DALI: Defining Antibiotic Levels in Intensive care unit patients: a multi-centre point of prevalence study to determine whether contemporary antibiotic dosing for critically ill patients is therapeuticJason A Roberts
Burns Trauma and Critical Care Research Centre, The University of Queensland, Brisbane, Australia
BMC Infect Dis 12:152. 2012..A large-scale multi-centre study (DALI Study) is currently underway describing the clinical outcomes of patients achieving pre-defined antibiotic exposures. This report describes the protocol...
- Efficacy and safety of anidulafungin in elderly, critically ill patients with invasive Candida infections: a post hoc analysisGeorge Dimopoulos
University Hospital Attikon, Athens, Greece
Int J Antimicrob Agents 40:521-6. 2012..3%). The incidence and profile of adverse events were similar in elderly and non-elderly patients. Anidulafungin was effective and safe for treatment of C/IC in elderly ICU patients, despite higher baseline severity of illness scores...
- Invasive aspergillosis in the intensive care unitGeorge Dimopoulos
Department of Critical Care Fourth Department of Internal Medicine, University Hospital Attikon, Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
Ann N Y Acad Sci 1272:31-9. 2012..In this review, we discuss the epidemiology, the diagnostic strategy and algorithms, and the therapeutic choices of this severe infection in critically ill patients...
- Rituximab in critically ill patientsG Dimopoulos
Department of Critical Care, Medical School, University of Athens, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Minerva Anestesiol 79:185-93. 2013..We sought to critically examine the role of rituximab in the treatment of acute graft versus host disease (aGVHD) in critically ill patients and the potential associations with infectious complications in transplant recipients...
- Community acquired methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus pneumonia: an update for the emergency and intensive care physicianI Karampela
Department of Critical Care Medicine, University Hospital Attikon, Medical School University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Minerva Anestesiol 78:930-40. 2012..New anti-MRSA agents and possible combinations are of great importance to be evaluated in the future...
- Viral epidemiology of acute exacerbations of chronic obstructive pulmonary diseaseG Dimopoulos
2 nd Department of Critical Care, University Hospital Attikon, Medical School, University of Athens, Greece
Pulm Pharmacol Ther 25:12-8. 2012..The stage of COPD appeared to have no relation with the frequency of the isolated viruses while dual infection with a viral and a bacterial pathogen was not rare...
- Pandemic A(H1N1) 2009 influenza: review of the Southern Hemisphere experienceM E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
Epidemiol Infect 139:27-40. 2011..Pregnant women represented 7·4-9·1% and 7·1-9·1% of unselected laboratory-confirmed cases and of those admitted to ICUs, respectively. Obesity and morbid obesity were more commonly reported as the level of healthcare increased...
- Colonization and infection by colistin-resistant Gram-negative bacteria in a cohort of critically ill patientsF Kontopidou
4th Department of Internal Medicine, University of Athens, Medical School, Athens, Greece
Clin Microbiol Infect 17:E9-E11. 2011..Seven cases of infection were caused by CR K. pneumoniae and 12 cases by CIR strains. The main risk factor for colonization by CR pathogens was colistin treatment...
- Candidemia in immunocompromised and immunocompetent critically ill patients: a prospective comparative studyG Dimopoulos
Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Medical School, University of Athens, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 26:377-84. 2007..In contrast, this coexistence is rare in NIC critically ill patients with Candida bloodstream infections. A high mortality was noted in both IC and NIC critically ill patients with candidemia...
- COPD patients with ventilator-associated pneumonia: implications for managementD Koulenti
2nd Critical Care Department, Attikon University Hospital, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 34:2403-11. 2015..Antibiotic coverage for non-fermenters needs to be included in the empiric therapy of all COPD patients, even in early-onset VAP. ..
- Community-acquired Stenotrophomonas maltophilia infections: a systematic reviewM E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, 9 Neapoleos Street, 151 23, Marousi, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 28:719-30. 2009..maltophilia infections; the majority of them refer to patients with some kind of comorbidity. Physicians should be aware that S. maltophilia infections are not restricted to hospitalized patients...
- Antimicrobial susceptibility of multidrug-resistant Gram negative bacteria to fosfomycinM E Falagas
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences, 9 Neapoleos Street, 151 23 Marousi, Athens, Greece
Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis 27:439-43. 2008..pneumoniae and, secondly, P. aeruginosa...
- Open access World Wide Web resources on upper and lower respiratory tract infectionsK N Fragoulis
Alfa Institute of Biomedical Sciences AIBS, Athens, Greece
Int J Tuberc Lung Dis 11:1237-45. 2007..The development of the World Wide Web can assist clinicians and other medical care professionals in finding useful information on various clinical conditions, including upper and lower respiratory tract infections...