Affiliation: University Hospital
- Violence-related content in video game may lead to functional connectivity changes in brain networks as revealed by fMRI-ICA in young menM Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, and Psychosomatics, RWTH Aachen University, Germany JARA Translational Brain Medicine, RWTH Aachen University, Germany IZKF Aachen, RWTH Aachen University, Germany Electronic address
Neuroscience 320:247-58. 2016..These changes may underlie the short-term increase of aggressive affects, cognitions, and behaviors as observed after playing violent video games. ..
- Brain networks underlying mental imagery of auditory and visual informationMikhail Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, Medical School, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Eur J Neurosci 37:1421-34. 2013..These findings have important implications for understanding the mechanisms that are involved in generation of mental imagery...
- An automatic procedure for the analysis of electric and magnetic mismatch negativity based on anatomical brain mappingMikhail Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Aachen, RWTH Aachen, 52074 Aachen, Germany
J Neurosci Methods 168:325-33. 2008..The presented workflow can be performed easily, rapidly, and reliably. This development may open new fields in research and clinical applications of source-based EEG and MEG...
- Predictability modulates motor-auditory interactions in self-triggered audio-visual apparent motionMikhail Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Exp Brain Res 189:289-300. 2008..The mechanism of these interactions can be understood as an effect of anticipation of the own action outcomes on the preparatory motor and perceptual activity...
- Spatially congruent visual motion modulates activity of the primary auditory cortexMikhail Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, University Hospital Aachen, RWTH Aachen University, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Exp Brain Res 198:391-402. 2009..This is evidence that the moving visual stimuli modulate the early sensory activity in the primary auditory cortex. Such early audiovisual integration may be specific for motion processing...
- Real-time noise cancellation for speech acquired in interactive functional magnetic resonance imaging studiesMikhail Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, JARA Translational Brain Research, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
J Magn Reson Imaging 32:705-13. 2010..To present online scanner noise cancellation for speech acquired in functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) studies...
- Early attention modulates perceptual interpretation of multisensory stimuliMikhail Zvyagintsev
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, University Hospital Aachen, Germany
Neuroreport 22:586-91. 2011..Alternation of the perceptual interpretations may depend on spontaneous fluctuation of attention...
- How different types of conceptual relations modulate brain activation during semantic primingOlga Sachs
RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
J Cogn Neurosci 23:1263-73. 2011..Nevertheless, the differences between associative and categorical relations might be parametrical rather than absolutely distinct as both relationships recruit similar regions to a different degree...
- Who is telling what from where? A functional magnetic resonance imaging studyKlaus Mathiak
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Neuroreport 18:405-9. 2007..Furthermore, the findings indicate that voice recognition may depend upon template matching within auditory association cortex whereas the sequencing of phonetic-linguistic information extends to frontal areas...
- Automatic processing of semantic relations in fMRI: neural activation during semantic priming of taxonomic and thematic categoriesOlga Sachs
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelstr 30, D 52074 Aachen, Germany
Brain Res 1218:194-205. 2008..We suggest that the greater involvement of precuneus in the processing of taxonomic relations indicates their reduced salience in the knowledge structure compared to more prominent thematic relations...
- Quetiapine modulates functional connectivity in brain aggression networksMartin Klasen
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, and Psychosomatics, Medical School, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Neuroimage 75:20-6. 2013..The violence-specific modulation of prefrontal-amygdala networks appears to control aggressive behavior and provides a neurobiological model for the anti-aggressive effects of quetiapine...
- Comparison of fMRI activation patterns for test and training procedures of alertness and focused attentionBenjamin Clemens
Neurological Clinic, Section Neuropsychology, RWTH Aachen University Hospital, Aachen, Germany
Restor Neurol Neurosci 31:311-36. 2013..The main objective of this fMRI study was to investigate specific as well as common neural correlates of alertness and focused attention and to assess the degree of neural overlap for two different tasks of the same attention function...
- Selective influences of cross-modal spatial-cues on preattentive auditory processing: a whole-head magnetoencephalography studyKlaus Mathiak
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Neuroimage 28:627-34. 2005..Preattentive multisensory integration may provide the neuronal basis for orienting reactions to objects in space and thus for voluntary control of selective attention...
- Lateralization of amygdala activation in fMRI may depend on phase-encoding polarityKrystyna A Mathiak
Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, Psychosomatics and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
MAGMA 25:177-82. 2012..We implemented a triple-echo echo-planar imaging (EPI) sequence, acquiring opposite PE polarities along left-right PE direction in a single shot, to investigate its effects on amygdala lateralization...
- Signal quality and Bayesian signal processing in neurofeedback based on real-time fMRIYury Koush
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, RWTH Aachen University, Germany
Neuroimage 59:478-89. 2012..Advanced and fast online signal processing algorithms considerably increased the quality as well as the information content of the control signal which in turn resulted in higher contingency in the neurofeedback loop...
- Modulating arithmetic fact retrieval: a single-blind, sham-controlled tDCS study with repeated fMRI measurementsBenjamin Clemens
Neurological Clinic, Section Neuropsychology, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Neuropsychologia 51:1279-86. 2013..Implications of these findings for future tDCS studies and for the rehabilitation of acalculic patients with deficits in arithmetic fact retrieval are discussed...
- Targeting Treatment-Resistant Auditory Verbal Hallucinations in Schizophrenia with fMRI-Based Neurofeedback - Exploring Different Cases of SchizophreniaMiriam S Dyck
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, Jülich Aachen Research Alliance JARA Brain, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany Jülich Aachen Research Alliance JARA Translational Brain Medicine, Julich, Aachen, Germany
Front Psychiatry 7:37. 2016..Particularly in schizophrenia, future NF studies should take into account the individual differences in reward processing, fatigue, and motivation to develop individualized training protocols. ..
- Social reinforcement can regulate localized brain activityKrystyna A Mathiak
Department of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, RWTH Aachen University, Pauwelsstr 30, 52074 Aachen, Germany
Eur Arch Psychiatry Clin Neurosci 260:S132-6. 2010..The increased ACC activity transferred to a cognitive task with the potential to reduce cognitive interference. Systematic studies are required to explore long-term effects on social behavior and clinical applications...
- Cortico-limbic connectivity in MAOA-L carriers is vulnerable to acute tryptophan depletionPatrick Eisner
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy, and Psychosomatics, Medical School, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany
Hum Brain Mapp . 2016..Acute tryptophan depletion (ATD) challenges 5-HT regulation and may identify vulnerable neuronal circuits, contributing to the gene-environment interaction...
- Revealing the functional neuroanatomy of intrinsic alertness using fMRI: methodological peculiaritiesBenjamin Clemens
Neurological Clinic, Section Neuropsychology, University Hospital RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany
PLoS ONE 6:e25453. 2011....
- Auditory mismatch impairments are characterized by core neural dysfunctions in schizophreniaArnim Johannes Gaebler
1 Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, Medical School, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany 2 JARA Translational Brain Medicine, Aachen, Germany
Brain 138:1410-23. 2015....
- BOLD sensitivity and SNR characteristics of parallel imaging-accelerated single-shot multi-echo EPI for fMRISaurabh Bhavsar
Department of Psychiatry, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, RWTH Aachen University, Aachen, Germany JARA, Translational Brain Medicine, Germany Electronic address
Neuroimage 84:65-75. 2014..We suggest applying PI only in combination with mEPI to reduce imaging artifacts and conserve BOLD sensitivity. ..