Affiliation: University of Konstanz
- Strong influences of larval diet history on subsequent post-settlement growth in the freshwater mollusc Dreissena polymorphaAlexander Wacker
Limnological Institute, University of Konstanz, 78434 Konstanz, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 269:2113-9. 2002..Hence, low food quantity or low food quality during the larval stage of D. polymorpha, lead to irreversible effects for post-metamorphic animals and are related to inferior competitive abilities...
- Food quality controls reproduction of the zebra mussel (Dreissena polymorpha)Alexander Wacker
Limnological Institute, University of Konstanz, 78457, Konstanz, Germany
Oecologia 135:332-8. 2003..The low biochemical quality of these blooms may affect at least the later period of gametogenesis of D. polymorpha, which reproduces from June to August...
- Colimitation of a freshwater herbivore by sterols and polyunsaturated fatty acidsDominik Martin-Creuzburg
Limnological Institute, University of Constance, Mainaustrasse 252, 78464 Konstanz, Germany
Proc Biol Sci 276:1805-14. 2009..Hence, the concept of colimitation has to be incorporated into models assessing nutrient-limited growth kinetics of herbivores to accurately predict demographic changes and population dynamics...
- Dietary lipid quality affects temperature-mediated reaction norms of a freshwater key herbivoreDominik Martin-Creuzburg
Limnological Institute, University of Constance, Mainaustrasse 252, 78464, Constance, Germany
Oecologia 168:901-12. 2012..In conclusion, essential dietary lipids significantly affect temperature-mediated reaction norms of ectotherms and thus temperature-mediated plasticity in life history traits is subject to strong food quality constraints...
- Life history consequences of sterol availability in the aquatic keystone species DaphniaDominik Martin-Creuzburg
Limnological Institute, University of Constance, Mainaustrasse 252, 78464, Konstanz, Germany
Oecologia 144:362-72. 2005..The results suggest a strong impact of dietary sterols on life history traits and therefore, population dynamics of the keystone species Daphnia...
- Thresholds for sterol-limited growth of Daphnia magna: a comparative approach using 10 different sterolsDominik Martin-Creuzburg
Limnological Institute, University of Konstanz, Mainaustrasse 252, 78464, Konstanz, Germany
J Chem Ecol 40:1039-50. 2014..We infer that the dietary sterol composition has to be considered in zooplankton nutritional ecology to accurately assess potential sterol limitations under field conditions...