Affiliation: University of Munich
- The role of self-monitoring of blood glucose in patients treated with SGLT-2 inhibitors: a European expert recommendationOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center, Munich, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 8:783-90. 2014..The length and frequency of SMBG should depend on the clinical setting and the quality of metabolic control. ..
- Current perspectives on cardiovascular outcome trials in diabetesOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764, Neuherberg Munich, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 15:139. 2016..The present review will condense the main results of the most recently completed CVOTs, reflect on the lessons learned, discuss on the issues presented by current CVOT design and offer some suggestions for improvement...
- Impact of HbA1c Testing at Point of Care on Diabetes ManagementOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Neuherberg Munich, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol . 2016..In this review, based on data from 1999 to 2016, we summarize the evidence supporting a further implementation of HbA1c testing at POC, discuss its limitations and propose recommendations for further development...
- Acarbose reduces body weight irrespective of glycemic control in patients with diabetes: results of a worldwide, non-interventional, observational study data poolOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V at the Helmholtz Center Munich, Munich, Germany Electronic address
J Diabetes Complications 30:628-37. 2016..The objective of this study is to examine the effect of acarbose, an alpha-glucosidase inhibitor, on body weight in a real-life setting by pooling data from post-marketing surveillance...
- Report from the 1st Cardiovascular Outcome Trial (CVOT) Summit of the Diabetes & Cardiovascular Disease (D&CVD) EASD Study GroupOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, Neuherberg, 85764, Munich, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 15:33. 2016..In-depth discussions and presentations of new CVOTs like LEADER, will be resumed at the 2nd CVOT on diabetes of the D&CVD EASD Study Group, which will be held from 20-22 October 2016 in Munich ( http://www.dcvd.org)...
- Self-monitoring of blood glucose: a prerequisite for diabetes management in outcome trialsOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V at the Helmholtz Center, Neuherberg, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 8:609-14. 2014..Both aspects largely contributed to the fact that near-normal control was achieved over a long-term period. ..
- Impact of a reduced error range of SMBG in insulin-treated patients in GermanyOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes eV, Helmholtz Center Munich, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 8:479-82. 2014..1 million were calculated for the group of insulin-treated patients. The model demonstrates that a reduction of error range of BG meters from 20% to 15% and 10% may translate into substantial savings for the German health care system. ..
- Type 1 diabetes and cardiovascular diseaseOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e, V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 12:156. 2013..Future therapies may also include glucagon-like peptide (GLP)-based treatment therapies. Pilot studies with GLP-1-analogues have been shown to reduce insulin requirements. ..
- Assessing the analytical performance of systems for self-monitoring of blood glucose: concepts of performance evaluation and definition of metrological key termsOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 7:1585-94. 2013..In addition, a description of requirements and components for a sound evaluation of BG measurement systems is presented. These factors will also enable improvement in future comparisons of study results. ..
- Higher accuracy of self-monitoring of blood glucose in insulin-treated patients in Germany: clinical and economical aspectsOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 7:904-12. 2013..Regarding clinical and financial impact of BG meter accuracy, very little data are available. The aim of this study was to analyze potential cost savings related to higher accuracy of glucose meters in Germany...
- Changes in A1C levels are significantly associated with changes in levels of the cardiovascular risk biomarker hs-CRP: results from the SteP studyOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V, Helmholtz Center Munich, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 36:2084-9. 2013....
- Self-monitoring of blood glucose in type 2 diabetes: recent studiesOliver Schnell
Forschergruppe Diabetes e V at the Helmholtz Center Munich, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich Neuherberg, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 7:478-88. 2013..The aim of this article is to review key publications on SMBG and also to put them into perspective with regard to results of the Cochrane review and current aspects of diabetes management...
- Primary and secondary prevention of cardiovascular disease in diabetes with aspirinOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Group, Helmholtz Centre Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 9:245-55. 2012..Novel aspects of aspirin, e.g. its potential role for the prevention of cancer, are also presented...
- The role of self-monitoring of blood glucose in glucagon-like peptide-1-based treatment approaches: a European expert recommendationOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Group, Helmholtz Center, Munich, Germany
J Diabetes Sci Technol 6:665-73. 2012..It is considered to play an important role for the optimization of diabetes management in T2DM patients treated with GLP-1-based approaches...
- Addressing schemes of self-monitoring of blood glucose in type 2 diabetes: a European perspective and expert recommendationOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Group, Helmholtz Center, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes Technol Ther 13:959-65. 2011..The expert panel also recommended further evaluation of various schemes for SMBG in type 2 diabetes in clinical studies...
- Intensification of therapeutic approaches reduces mortality in diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction: the Munich registryOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, and Third Medical Clinic, Academic Schwabing Hospital, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 27:455-60. 2004..The aim of this study was to improve quality care management and to compare hospital mortality and therapeutic approaches (i.e., PTCA, stenting, GPIIb/IIIa receptor antagonists, glucose-insulin infusion)...
- Acarbose and metabolic control in patients with type 2 diabetes with newly initiated insulin therapyO Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Obes Metab 9:853-8. 2007....
- Cardiac sympathetic innervation and blood flow regulation of the diabetic heartO Schnell
Diabetes Reseach Institute, Kolner Platz 1, 80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 17:243-5. 2001..These mechanisms are currently proposed to lead from early changes to advanced impairment of cardiac function in diabetes...
- Cardiac sympathetic dysinnervation in Type 2 diabetes mellitus with and without ECG-based cardiac autonomic neuropathyOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Third Medical Department, Academic Schwabing City Hospital, Munich, Germany
J Diabetes Complications 16:220-7. 2002..In Type 2 diabetes mellitus, the posterior myocardium is predominantly affected and the extent of dysinnervation is more pronounced in the presence of ECG-based cardiac autonomic neuropathy...
- [Diagnosis of acute myocardial infarction in diabetes mellitus. Blood sugar to be tested]O Schnell
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, Krankenhaus München Schwabing
MMW Fortschr Med 145:35-8. 2003..In diabetics with an acute coronary syndrome, early coronary angiography should also be considered. A multifactorial approach can significantly lower the cardiovascular complication rate...
- [Cardiovascular risk in diabetes--diagnostic and therapeutic aspects]O Schnell
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, 3 Med Klinik, Krankenhaus München Schwabing
MMW Fortschr Med 146:36-8. 2004..An example of a successful approach for metabolic intervention is glucose-insulin infusion to optimize the metabolic condition during the acute phase...
- [Glucose control in cardiac disease]O Schnell
Institut fur Diabetesforschung, Kolner Platz 1, 80804 München
Clin Res Cardiol 95:i70-3. 2006..This can be detected even in impaired glucose tolerance and the non-diabetic range. There is evidence that postprandial glycemia is crucial for the extent of cardiovascular risk. This has also been emphasized by the DECODE-study...
- C-reactive protein in diabetic and nondiabetic patients with acute myocardial infarctionWolfgang Otter
Cardiology, Academical Teaching Hospital, Schwabing, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 30:3080-2. 2007
- The Munich Myocardial Infarction Registry: impact of C-reactive protein and kidney function on hospital mortality in diabetic patientsOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Helmholtz Center, Ingolstadter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Neuherberg, Germany
Diab Vasc Dis Res 7:225-30. 2010..The aim of this study was to analyse hospital mortality with regards to the presence of diabetes, elevation of C-reactive protein (CRP) levels and impaired kidney function (IKF) on admission...
- Dynamic 18F-FET PET in newly diagnosed astrocytic low-grade glioma identifies high-risk patientsNathalie L Jansen
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Munich, Munich, Germany
J Nucl Med 55:198-203. 2014....
- The impact of glucose-lowering therapy on cardiovascular outcomesEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute at the Munich Helmholtz Center, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 23:401-11. 2009..5%, which takes time to tailor (poly-)pharmacotherapy gently to the patient's needs. Drug-specific effects, both advantageous and disadvantageous, of blood-glucose-lowering therapy cannot be excluded currently and warrant further studies...
- Postprandial hyperglycemia and glycemic variability: should we care?Eberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute, Munich Helmholtz Centre, Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 34:S120-7. 2011..e., that we should care about postprandial hyperglycemia and glycemic variability. The absence of a uniformly accepted standard of how to estimate these parameters adds a further challenge to this whole debate...
- Diabetes and the risk for colorectal cancerMichael Erbach
Diabetes Research Group, Helmholtz Center, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
J Diabetes Complications 26:50-5. 2012..Finally, the preventive potential of aspirin and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, and the recommendations concerning colonoscopy-screening are presented...
- Re-irradiation in recurrent malignant glioma: prognostic value of [18F]FET-PETMaximilian Niyazi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Marchioninistr 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
J Neurooncol 110:389-95. 2012..Thus, [(18)F]FET-PET kinetics may provide valuable additional prognostic information for treatment decisions...
- ALDH1A1 is a marker of astrocytic differentiation during brain development and correlates with better survival in glioblastoma patientsS Alexandra Adam
Center for Neuropathology and Prion Research, Munich, Germany
Brain Pathol 22:788-97. 2012..01). In contrast to other published data, we therefore provide evidence for ALDH1A1 as a marker of astrocytic differentiation during brain development and of better prognosis in patients suffering from primary glioblastoma...
- New similarity search based glioma gradingKatrin Haegler
Department of Neuroradiology, Ludwig Maximilians University of Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
Neuroradiology 54:829-37. 2012..Here, we tested the potential of a recently developed similarity search based method that integrates information of CE-T1w and perfusion maps for non-invasive MR-based glioma grading...
- Vascular endothelial growth factor A contributes to glioma-induced migration of human marrow stromal cells (hMSC)Christian Schichor
Department of Neurosurgery, Ludwig Maximilians University, Klinikum Grosshadern, Marchioninistr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Exp Neurol 199:301-10. 2006....
- Serial O-(2-[(18)F]fluoroethyl)-L: -tyrosine PET for monitoring the effects of intracavitary radioimmunotherapy in patients with malignant gliomaGabriele Popperl
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Klinikum Grosshadern, University of Munich, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 33:792-800. 2006....
- [Insulin therapy improves cardiac autonomic function in type 2 diabetic patients]Oliver Schnell
3 Medizinische Abteilung KH München Schwabing und Institut für Diabetesforschung, Munchen
Herz 29:519-23. 2004..There is scintigraphic evidence that insulin improves cardiac autonomic innervation in diabetic patients. The aim of the study was to assess the effects of insulin therapy on parameters of cardiac reflex tests in type 2 diabetic patients...
- Prokinetic therapy: what can be measured by gastric scintigraphy?Rainer Linke
Department of Nuclear Medicine, University of Munich, Germany
Nucl Med Commun 26:527-33. 2005..To evaluate whether gastric scintigraphy with quantitative analysis of gastric peristalsis may be a useful tool for documenting the effects of prokinetic therapy...
- Insulin as a first-line therapy in type 2 diabetes: should the use of sulfonylureas be halted?Eberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Institute, Kölner Pl 1, D 80804 Munich, Germany
Diabetes Care 31:S136-9. 2008
- FET-PET for malignant glioma treatment planningMaximilian Niyazi
Department of Radiation Oncology, Ludwig Maximilians University Munich, Munchen, Germany
Radiother Oncol 99:44-8. 2011....
- Presence of pluripotent CD133+ cells correlates with malignancy of gliomasNiklas Thon
Department of Neurosurgery, Hospital of the University of Munich, Marchioninistr 15, 81377 Munich, Germany
Mol Cell Neurosci 43:51-9. 2010..Since GBM frequently develops from low grade gliomas (WHO grade II) we assessed a possible qualitative or quantitative correlation of CD133(+) cells and glioma grade to get new insights in gliomagenesis...
- Re-irradiation strategies in combination with bevacizumab for recurrent malignant gliomaOliver Schnell
Department of Neurosurgery, LMU Munich, Marchioninistr 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
J Neurooncol 130:591-599. 2016..Multivariately, higher KPSREC and Re-RT/BEV→BEV were associated with longer PRS. Treatment toxicity did not differ among groups. Re-RT/BEV→BEV is safe, feasible and effective and deserves further prospective evaluation...
- A prospective study on neurocognitive effects after primary radiotherapy in high-grade glioma patientsRaphael Bodensohn
Klinik und Poliklinik für Strahlentherapie und Radioonkologie, LMU Klinikum der Universität München, Marchioninistr 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
Int J Clin Oncol 21:642-50. 2016....
- Endotracheal Tube Electrodes to Assess Vocal Cord Motor Function During Surgery in the Cerebellopontine AngleAlexander Romagna
Departments of Neurosurgery, Otorhinolaryngology, and Anesthesiology, Ludwig Maximilians University, Munich, Germany
Neurosurgery 77:471-8; discussion 478. 2015..The 10th cranial nerve (CN X) is at risk during surgery in the lower cerebellopontine angle (CPA)...
- What should be the antihypertensive drug of choice in diabetic patients and should we avoid drugs that increase glucose levels? Pro and ConsEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group e V, Munich Helmholtz Centre, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, Munich Neuherberg, Germany
Diabetes Metab Res Rev 28:60-6. 2012..Awareness of these facts and highly individualized therapy seem to be the way forward...
- Near-infrared indocyanine green videoangiography (ICGVA) and intraoperative computed tomography (iCT): are they complementary or competitive imaging techniques in aneurysm surgery?Oliver Schnell
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Campus Grosshadern, Marchioninistrasse 15, 81377, Munich, Germany
Acta Neurochir (Wien) 154:1861-8. 2012....
- Krüppel-like factor 8 (KLF8) is expressed in gliomas of different WHO grades and is essential for tumor cell proliferationOliver Schnell
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum der Ludwig Maximilians Universität München, Campus Grosshadern, Munich, Germany
PLoS ONE 7:e30429. 2012..Selective blocking of KLF8 might represent a novel anti-proliferative treatment strategy for malignant gliomas. Yet, its simultaneous expression in non-proliferating tissues could hamper this approach...
- The links between diabetes and cardiovascular diseaseOliver Schnell
Diabetes Research Institute, Munich, Germany
J Interv Cardiol 18:413-6. 2005..Preventive treatment strategies, which include multiple approaches, are required to overcome the burden of cardiovascular disease in diabetes and IGT...
- Glycemic control: a combination of lifestyle management and the use of drugsEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group e V, Helmholtz Centre Munich, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764, Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Cardiol Ther 2:1-16. 2013....
- Dipeptidyl-peptidase-4 Inhibitors and Heart Failure: Class Effect, Substance-Specific Effect, or Chance Effect?Eberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group e V at Helmholtz Centre, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764, Neuherberg, Germany
Curr Treat Options Cardiovasc Med 16:353. 2014..Results from ongoing large multicenter trials with the DPP-4 inhibitors sitagliptin and linagliptin are expected to clarify the potential heart failure issue related to treatment with DPP-4 inhibitors...
- On the potential of acarbose to reduce cardiovascular diseaseEberhard Standl
Munich Diabetes Research Group e, V, at Helmholtz Centre, Ingolstaedter Landstrasse 1, 85764 Munich, Neuherberg, Germany
Cardiovasc Diabetol 13:81. 2014....
- 5-Aminolevulinic acid-induced protoporphyrin IX levels in tissue of human malignant brain tumorsAnn Johansson
Laser Forschungslabor, University Clinic Großhadern, Munich, Germany
Photochem Photobiol 86:1373-8. 2010..However, the feasibility of PDT for grade III brain tumors and for grade IV brain tumors displaying mainly necrotic tissue areas without solid tumor parts needs to be further investigated...
- Imaging of integrin alpha(v)beta(3) expression in patients with malignant glioma by [18F] Galacto-RGD positron emission tomographyOliver Schnell
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Neuro Oncol 11:861-70. 2009..These data suggest that [(18)F] Galacto-RGD PET successfully identifies alpha(v)beta(3) expression in patients with GBM and might be a promising tool for planning and monitoring individualized cancer therapies targeting this integrin...
- Expression of integrin alphavbeta3 in gliomas correlates with tumor grade and is not restricted to tumor vasculatureOliver Schnell
Department of Neurosurgery, Klinikum Grosshadern, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Brain Pathol 18:378-86. 2008....
- Intratumoral homogeneity of MGMT promoter hypermethylation as demonstrated in serial stereotactic specimens from anaplastic astrocytomas and glioblastomasEva M Grasbon-Frodl
Center for Neuropathology and Prion Research, Ludwig Maximilians Universitat Munchen, Munich, Germany
Int J Cancer 121:2458-64. 2007..The methylation profile, as defined by MSP and sodium bisulfite sequencing, constitutes a homogeneous marker throughout malignant gliomas. The lack of correlation between MGMT status and MGMT protein expression needs further evaluation...
- Dysregulation of coronary microvascular reactivity in asymptomatic patients with type 2 diabetes mellitusMitsuru Momose
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik der Technischen Universität München, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Ismaninger Strasse 22, 81675 Munich, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:1675-9. 2002..These data suggest a state of activation of endothelial-dependent vasodilation at baseline which appears to limit the flow response to stress conditions...
- An advanced approach for the assessment of gastric motor function in long-term type 1 diabetes mellitus with and without autonomic neuropathyMatthias Meier
Hannover Medical School, Department of Nephrology, Germany
Clin Auton Res 12:197-202. 2002..Analyzing gastric motor function with dynamic scintigraphic techniques using condensed images is a promising clinical approach to further elucidate the mechanisms of impaired gastric motility in DM...
- Impaired glucose tolerance, diabetes, and cardiovascular diseaseOliver Schnell
University of Munich and Diabetes Research Institute, Germany
Endocr Pract 12:16-9. 2006..To analyze the association among impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), diabetes, and cardiovascular disease (CVD)...
- Deferoxamine improves coronary vascular responses to sympathetic stimulation in patients with type 1 diabetes mellitusNaoya Hattori
Nuklearmedizinische Klinik und Poliklinik, Klinikum rechts der Isar, Technischen Universitat Munchen, Germany
Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 29:891-8. 2002..Hydroxyl radicals may play a role in the pathogenesis of flow abnormalities in type 1 diabetes...
- Simulation based cost-benefit analysis of a telemedical system for closed-loop insulin pump therapy of diabetesOliver J Bott
Institute for Medical Informatics, Technical University of Braunschweig, Germany
Stud Health Technol Inform 124:435-40. 2006..Cost-benefit analyses of such systems are needed to decide on the introduction of telemedical systems such as the INCA system to routine care...
- The INCA system: a further step towards a telemedical artificial pancreasEnrique J Gomez
Universidad Politecnica de Madrid, 28040 Madrid, Spain
IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed 12:470-9. 2008..The INCA system has been technically and clinically evaluated in two randomized and crossover clinical trials showing an improvement on glycaemic control of diabetic patients...
- Endogenous ciliary neurotrophic factor protects GABAergic, but not cholinergic, septohippocampal neurons following fimbria-fornix transectionThomas Naumann
Institute of Anatomy, University of Freiburg, Germany
Brain Pathol 13:309-21. 2003..In the septum, endogenous CNTF specifically supports lesioned GABAergic projection neurons, whereas LIF may play a similar role for the cholinergic counterparts...
- HIS modelling and simulation based cost-benefit analysis of a telemedical system for closed-loop diabetes therapyOliver J Bott
Institute for Medical Informatics, Technical University of Braunschweig, Muehlenpfordtstr 23, D 38106 Braunschweig, Germany
Int J Med Inform 76:S447-55. 2007..This study aims at identifying and applying suitable methods for a cost-benefit analysis from the perspective of the payor for health services...
- Positron emission tomography using [18F]Galacto-RGD identifies the level of integrin alpha(v)beta3 expression in manAmbros J Beer
Department of Nuclear Medicine, Lehrstuhl II für organische Chemie, Technische Universitat Munchen, Germany
Clin Cancer Res 12:3942-9. 2006..We have developed [18F]Galacto-RGD, a highly alpha(v)beta3-selective tracer for positron emission tomography (PET). Here, we show, in man, that the intensity of [18F]Galacto-RGD uptake correlates with alpha(v)beta3 expression...
- [When will the artificial pancreas be available? (interview by Dr. med. Jochen Aumiller)]Oliver Schnell
MMW Fortschr Med 149:16. 2007