Affiliation: University of Konstanz
- Screening for posttraumatic stress disorder among Somali ex-combatants: a validation studyMichael Odenwald
University of Konstanz, Department of Psychology, Fach D25, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
Confl Health 1:10. 2007..Here we report on development and validation of a screening tool for PTSD in Somali language with a sample of ex-combatants...
- Dropout among patients in qualified alcohol detoxification treatment: the effect of treatment motivation is moderated by Trauma LoadMichael Odenwald
Department of Psychology, University of Konstanz, Universitatsstr, 10, Konstanz 78464, Germany
Subst Abuse Treat Prev Policy 8:14. 2013..This study aimed to clarify whether individual Trauma Load explains some of the inconsistencies between motivation to change and behavioral change...
- A pilot study on community-based outpatient treatment for patients with chronic psychotic disorders in Somalia: Change in symptoms, functioning and co-morbid khat useMichael Odenwald
Department of Psychology, University of Konstanz, Fach D25, Constance, 78457, Germany
Int J Ment Health Syst 6:8. 2012..At the same time, mental health care is largely unavailable to the vast majority of the population. In a pilot project, we tested possibilities for effective measures in community-based out-patient mental health care...
- Reducing dropout among traumatized alcohol patients in detoxification treatment: a pilot intervention studyMichael Odenwald
University of Konstanz, Clinical Psychology, Germany
Eur Addict Res 18:54-63. 2012..056). The pilot study supports the idea that detoxification treatment dropout occurs more often among alcohol patients with high trauma load and that their retention can be increased by a psychoeducational group intervention...
- The appropriateness of the treatment setting for the inpatient post-acute treatment of alcohol dependence disorders in SwitzerlandAstrid Rossegger
Psychiatric Psychological Service, Criminal Justice System Canton of Zurich, Zurich
Int J Ment Health Syst 3:16. 2009..The aim of the present study was to test the hypothesis that the majority of patients treated in the largest specialized institution for alcohol abuse treatment in Switzerland were treated in the appropriate setting...
- Trauma, poverty and mental health among Somali and Rwandese refugees living in an African refugee settlement - an epidemiological studyLamaro P Onyut
Mbarara University of Science and Technology, Uganda
Confl Health 3:6. 2009..The study population comprised a sample from 14400 (n = 519 Somali and n = 906 Rwandese) refugees resident in Nakivale refugee settlement in South Western Uganda during the year 2003...
- Use of khat and posttraumatic stress disorder as risk factors for psychotic symptoms: a study of Somali combatantsMichael Odenwald
University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany
Soc Sci Med 69:1040-8. 2009..However, the proposed causal chain needs to be confirmed in longitudinal studies. Demobilization and reintegration programs in Somalia need to be prepared to deal with complex psychological problems...
- Khat use as risk factor for psychotic disorders: a cross-sectional and case-control study in SomaliaMichael Odenwald
Department of Psychology, University of Konstanz, Fach D25, D 78476 Konstanz, Germany
BMC Med 3:5. 2005..We aimed to explore the prevalence of psychotic disorders among the general population and the association between khat use and psychotic symptoms...
- Can asylum-seekers with posttraumatic stress disorder be successfully treated? A randomized controlled pilot studyFrank Neuner
Department of Psychology, Bielefeld University, Germany
Cogn Behav Ther 39:81-91. 2010..Although treatment gains were moderate, these results indicate that NET is a promising approach for the treatment of PTSD in asylum-seekers living in unstable conditions...
- Treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder by trained lay counselors in an African refugee settlement: a randomized controlled trialFrank Neuner
Department of Clinical Psychology, University of Konstanz, Konstanz, Germany
J Consult Clin Psychol 76:686-94. 2008..Short-term psychotherapy carried out by lay counselors with limited training can be effective to treat war-related PTSD in a refugee settlement...
- Haunted by ghosts: prevalence, predictors and outcomes of spirit possession experiences among former child soldiers and war-affected civilians in Northern UgandaFrank Neuner
Bielefeld University, Department of Psychology, Postbox 100131, 33501 Bielefeld, Germany
Soc Sci Med 75:548-54. 2012..In addition, we provide evidence for the incremental validity of spirit possession as a trauma-related psychological disorder in this context...
- Altered oscillatory brain dynamics after repeated traumatic stressIris Tatjana Kolassa
Department of Psychology, Clinical and Neuropsychology, University of Konstanz, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
BMC Psychiatry 7:56. 2007..Abnormal slow waves produced within circumscribed brain regions during a resting state have been associated with lesioned neural circuitry in neurological disorders and more recently also in mental illness...
- The stimulant khat--another door in the wall? A call for overcoming the barriersMichael Odenwald
University of Konstanz, Germany
J Ethnopharmacol 132:615-9. 2010..In this article, we comment on the current international discourse on khat, we highlight pitfalls and and suggest balanced national international regulatory actions...
- Introduction to the special issue: The changing use and misuse of khat (Catha edulis)-Tradition, trade and tragedyMichael Odenwald
University of Konstanz, Fachbereich Psychologie, P O BOX 5560 25, 78457 Konstanz, Germany
J Ethnopharmacol 132:537-9. 2010..This special issue of the Journal of Ethnopharmacology contains articles written by different conference speakers that present the current state of knowledge and the challenges for future research and politics...
- Decoupling neural networks from reality: dissociative experiences in torture victims are reflected in abnormal brain waves in left frontal cortexWilliam J Ray
University of Konstanz and Center for Psychiatry, Reichenau, Germany
Psychol Sci 17:825-9. 2006..This interpretation is consistent with the fact that disturbed access to structured verbal memory concerning traumatic events is a core feature of the dissociative experience...
- The consumption of khat and other drugs in Somali combatants: a cross-sectional studyMichael Odenwald
PLoS Med 4:e341. 2007....
- Narrative Exposure Therapy as a treatment for child war survivors with posttraumatic stress disorder: two case reports and a pilot study in an African refugee settlementLamaro P Onyut
vivo Uganda, Mbarara, Uganda
BMC Psychiatry 5:7. 2005..We created and evaluated the efficacy of KIDNET, a child-friendly version of Narrative Exposure Therapy (NET), as a short-term treatment for children...